HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Jan 07, 2010, 11:31 AM
Aut Viam Inveniam Aut Faciam
United States, CO, Colorado Springs
Joined Oct 2008
4,061 Posts
that is a pretty good looking repair. Luckily I haven't had to replace any parts with foam, usually because what gets broken off I just glue until it works.
verticalspark is online now Find More Posts by verticalspark
RCG Plus Member
to remove ads between posts
Old Jan 07, 2010, 05:08 PM
Santa Cruz
Joined Dec 2009
137 Posts
Just a sincere thanks to all of those who contribute to this thread. When I was thinking about getting a Radian I read through this and noted only two problems areas; Wires that can hit the spinning motor chassis and propellers that break. I finally bought a Radian last month from my LHS and noticed that Parkzone has addressed both issues. My plane came out of the box with the “_1” prop and the motor seems to have a shroud so the wires won’t hit it.

Time will tell how the prop lasts – I must say that the brake on this the stock ESC seems to be very aggressive, there is certainly stress there the way it suddenly stops the prop – but it’s good to know that ParkZone listened to customers and no doubt the posters on this thread and addressed the issues.

Although simple, the plane is surprisingly fun. On calm days it’s easy to fly though a soccer goal and on strong wind days it’s great to point it in and see it just hang there with little or no ground speed and you balance it against the wind. On blustery days…well on blustery days it rests at home.

It seems very high quality to me and I have never had a plane that lands a nicely as this one. On small fields I have to circle down to get it low and slow ‘between the trees’ but with a little motor boost on that last low downwind leg, it handles a sharp turn into the wind nicely and sets down smoothly.
cbr998 is offline Find More Posts by cbr998
Old Jan 07, 2010, 06:52 PM
Joined Oct 2008
4,061 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by cbr998 View Post
Time will tell how the prop lasts – I must say that the brake on this the stock ESC seems to be very aggressive, there is certainly stress there the way it suddenly stops the prop – but it’s good to know that ParkZone listened to customers and no doubt the posters on this thread and addressed the issues.
I thought the ESC was a little too aggressive when the break kicked in. You can program the ESC from a "hard" break to a "soft" break. I also changed the the speed of the motor starting. When you give it full throttle it goes from 0 to 100% in something like .1 of a second in stock form. You can program the ESC to do a soft start so instead of .1 of a second its more like .3 of a second. I found it also helps if you are gliding along and go full throttle it wont pull up as hard.
RCG Plus Member
Old Jan 07, 2010, 06:55 PM
In the 20' glider range
Boise, Idaho
Joined Jul 2009
4,503 Posts
YEllo!
How do you start up the programing? is it like any other one?
Thanks
~Cole
anti-gravity is offline Find More Posts by anti-gravity
Old Jan 07, 2010, 06:58 PM
Joined Oct 2008
4,061 Posts
I would have to find the instructions. The radian came with the instructions for the e-flite 30A ESC and BEC, if you still have it the instructions on how to do it are in that.

Im at work now so I may post it later when I get home.
RCG Plus Member
Old Jan 07, 2010, 07:49 PM
More Altitude, Less Attitude!
United States, SC, Ninety Six
Joined Mar 2008
547 Posts
When my Radian flew away in June, I was devastated. A few days ago, I finally decided to replace her and ordered a PNP and a DX6i with the AR6200 receiver. Should be here this weekend or the first part of next week. Guys, I'm back in the game!

Here's a link to the ESC instructions someone asked about earlier...

30-Amp Pro Switch-Mode BEC Brushless ESC
chickenwing is offline Find More Posts by chickenwing
Old Jan 07, 2010, 07:52 PM
In the 20' glider range
Boise, Idaho
Joined Jul 2009
4,503 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by chickenwing View Post
When my Radian flew away in June, I was devastated. A few days ago, I finally decided to replace her and ordered a PNP and a DX6i with the AR6200 receiver. Should be here this weekend or the first part of next week. Guys, I'm back in the game!

Here's a link to the ESC instructions someone asked about earlier...

30-Amp Pro Switch-Mode BEC Brushless ESC
Thanks man!
Old Jan 07, 2010, 09:15 PM
In the 20' glider range
Boise, Idaho
Joined Jul 2009
4,503 Posts
I just finished messing with the menu on the ESC.
I set it to a 1 secong start up and medium brake. I actually think i will like the brake like this. It seems to put less stress on the motor mount, same with the start up. It makes the prop come out a little funny but other than that it looks like it is alot easier on the mm (motor mount).
Old Jan 07, 2010, 11:37 PM
Joined Oct 2008
4,061 Posts
I just looked on the back of my motor and noticed that there are cracks around the motor shaft????
RCG Plus Member
Old Jan 08, 2010, 03:43 AM
las vegas
Joined Jan 2004
352 Posts
post a pic of that ...... intresting
wing warrior is offline Find More Posts by wing warrior
Old Jan 08, 2010, 06:22 AM
RIP Ric
Marietta, GA
Joined Jun 1999
43,312 Posts
Pretty common. Call ParkZone, they should send a replacement.
..a
Andy W is offline Find More Posts by Andy W
Old Jan 08, 2010, 09:41 AM
Charlotte, NC
Joined Oct 2009
36 Posts
Just a quick question - and I should know the answer but - if I want to do a little more power flight with the Radian, what should I do in the way of electronics? Is it simply upping the ESC rating or will I also need to upgrade the the battery as well?
cltmte is offline Find More Posts by cltmte
Old Jan 08, 2010, 10:06 AM
More Altitude, Less Attitude!
United States, SC, Ninety Six
Joined Mar 2008
547 Posts
AR6200 Receiver

Question for anyone using a AR6200 receiver with their Radian... where did you mount the remote receiver?
chickenwing is offline Find More Posts by chickenwing
Old Jan 08, 2010, 10:15 AM
Charlotte, NC
Joined Oct 2009
36 Posts
I use the 7000 rx and what I did was put the main rx up front in a vertical position between the battery and esc (needed to add a couple of servo extensions but no big deal), then put the remote receiver in the lower hatch area at the recommended counter angle from the main rx.

Mark
cltmte is offline Find More Posts by cltmte
Old Jan 08, 2010, 10:56 AM
Proud member of LISF and ESL
LI, New York, USA
Joined Mar 2003
24,259 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by cltmte View Post
Just a quick question - and I should know the answer but - if I want to do a little more power flight with the Radian, what should I do in the way of electronics? Is it simply upping the ESC rating or will I also need to upgrade the the battery as well?
Upping the ESC will have no impact on the performance of the plane.

Using a larger battery will do nothing for performance and will add weight which will actually hurt the glide performance in most cases.

However a larger ESC and a larger battery would support your putting in a larger prop and THAT will enhance climb performance. But if you do this you need to look at the capacity of the motor. A larger prop will pull more power and may exceed the capacity of the motor. That woudl require a new motor.

If you are going to start playing with props you really want to have a wattmeter on hand so you can measure what is happening in the system.

Personally I don't see any need for more power as the plane will go almost straight up. But for some people, that is not enough, so power it up all you like, but get a wattmeter. It will cost about $55 and will save you a fortune in burned up motors, ESC and batteries.

The watt meter will also tell you that you may not need a new ESC or battery. The ESC may be rated for 30 amps but the current set-up may only be pulling 20, so you have plenty of room.

The current battery, I think, is an 1800 20 C pack so 30 amps is well within its capability.

BUT, what can the motor handle? I don't know. But there may be some room to up the prop a bit without over stressing the motor.
aeajr is online now Find More Posts by aeajr
Last edited by aeajr; Jan 08, 2010 at 11:28 AM.