HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Oct 27, 2008, 03:20 PM
Cardington, Ohio
Joined May 2007
123 Posts
My LHS called, PNP Radian arrived today. Yippee! I'll post pictures tomorrow. It snowed this morning (just flurries) and is supposed to be cold right through this weekend, darn!
Dave
ww8s is offline Find More Posts by ww8s
to remove ads between posts
Old Oct 27, 2008, 06:18 PM
Still AWD, Subaru
St.Louis
Joined Nov 2006
883 Posts
finally a related post, ww8's cant wait to see pics and a review from ya. I think this aircraft would be killer for sloping in the summer off the dunes by my folks house.
ShawnM4kq is offline Find More Posts by ShawnM4kq
Old Oct 27, 2008, 10:38 PM
uh oh...
Newmarket Ont. CA
Joined May 2008
113 Posts
am i missing something or why dont you just add ailerons (cut them out and add servo's) to the radian? people add flaps to their T-28's all the time, i dont see how this should be much harder... am i wrong or are people just worried about modifying their plane?

reading that it sounds harsh maybe but its not intended to be, i just dont understand the problem maybe...

ian
ian_ryeng is offline Find More Posts by ian_ryeng
Old Oct 28, 2008, 06:46 AM
dmt
near Gangneung, Korea
Joined Jul 2004
688 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by ShawnM4kq
finally a related post,....
Yeah, we did get quite a bit off topic there, sorry.

I'm looking forward to hearing Radian reviews soon too! I'm really excited about this plane.
dmt is offline Find More Posts by dmt
Old Oct 28, 2008, 06:52 AM
dmt
near Gangneung, Korea
Joined Jul 2004
688 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by ian_ryeng
am i missing something or why dont you just add ailerons (cut them out and add servo's) to the radian? people add flaps to their T-28's all the time, i dont see how this should be much harder... am i wrong or are people just worried about modifying their plane?

reading that it sounds harsh maybe but its not intended to be, i just dont understand the problem maybe...

ian
Maybe we can. The potential problems I see [with adding ailerons] are: all the built-in dihedral; and that the wing seems kind of flexy along its span. The ailerons would have to be (well, ideally) outboard, and along a pretty straight surface. Not saying it can't be done, though. For one, maybe the wing isn't as flexible as I'm thinking (I'm just going by my impression from watching the video clips on the Parkzone website). And perhaps the dihedral can be ironed out. If so, adding ailerons might be no big deal at all.

Someone else will have to try though, because I actually want the Radian because it doesn't have ailerons! I have already thought about trying to engineer a center-mounted spoiler like on an AVA, though. Hopefully someone better than I will have a go at that first. I'd hate to cut up a beautiful new plane; and besides, I'll probably be quite happy with the performance as is. I can't wait to get my own Radian!
Last edited by dmt; Oct 28, 2008 at 10:53 AM.
Old Oct 28, 2008, 10:55 AM
dmt
near Gangneung, Korea
Joined Jul 2004
688 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by ww8s
My LHS called, PNP Radian arrived today. Yippee! I'll post pictures tomorrow. It snowed this morning (just flurries) and is supposed to be cold right through this weekend, darn!
Dave
A nice blanket of snow is the best cushion possible for tests tosses/flights. Good luck! Be sure to post soon!
Old Oct 28, 2008, 01:49 PM
Joined Jul 2008
92 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by dmt
... potential problems I see [with adding ailerons] are: all the built-in dihedral; and that the wing seems kind of flexy along its span. The ailerons would have to be (well, ideally) outboard, and along a pretty straight surface. ...
Mr_Cash is offline Find More Posts by Mr_Cash
Old Oct 28, 2008, 11:04 PM
Joined Jul 2008
92 Posts
"Once the Radian is up to altitude, one will be able to soar for hours relying only on thermal currents and wind to stay aloft. ... center of gravity ... 2-1/2 inches ..." Radian Instruction Manual

wing: $44
Mr_Cash is offline Find More Posts by Mr_Cash
Last edited by Mr_Cash; Oct 29, 2008 at 01:38 AM.
Old Oct 29, 2008, 08:44 AM
Cardington, Ohio
Joined May 2007
123 Posts
My LHS received Radians alright, but no PNP. They look great. I've decided to go ahead and get the RTF and sell the radio. I'm not going to have many more nice weekends.
Dave
ww8s is offline Find More Posts by ww8s
Old Oct 29, 2008, 10:04 AM
Home of A-10 - Farmingdale NY
United States, NH, Londonderry
Joined Dec 2006
919 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave Eichstedt
Generally we try to ship them both at the same time. If they don't ship at the same time, we give priority to the RTF version.

RTF versions appear to be shipping to dealers today.

David Eichstedt
Currently in China

Dave,

To the best of your knowledge...are RTF or PnP versions now shipping to LHS..and if it is RTF first...then what appears to be the ETA for the PnP version?

Thanks,
-mike-
boiko is offline Find More Posts by boiko
Old Oct 29, 2008, 10:33 AM
USA, CA, Mountain View
Joined Dec 2007
933 Posts
LHS says they can break out the RTF and sell me a "PNP".

Waiting to hear some flight reports.
7rider is offline Find More Posts by 7rider
Old Oct 29, 2008, 10:35 AM
Still AWD, Subaru
St.Louis
Joined Nov 2006
883 Posts
me too
ShawnM4kq is offline Find More Posts by ShawnM4kq
Old Oct 29, 2008, 01:20 PM
dmt
near Gangneung, Korea
Joined Jul 2004
688 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr_Cash

That's such a cool picture!
Old Oct 30, 2008, 09:46 PM
Slow Flyer
sterling, Illinois
Joined Feb 2006
1,051 Posts
Yet to check the lengthy flights on mine, but a clue, Your coffee will get cold by the time she lands...

Wow, just received my Radian from a preorder the other day, busy at work but finally managed to make a flight before daybreak, air was steady, near zero winds great for a maiden venture, popped the battery all the way in towards the rear, slight tail heavy but with downtrim still handled very well, floated around like a feather, very impressed, I was out of time as heading to work, but the landing, I zig zagged over the parking lot away from the field to reduce altitude, still zig zagged some more trying to get this one down, less than 5 minutes but in a hurry to make work it simply refused to come down, last made it after landing 50 feet past me, its a beauty and everthing I was hoping for, now if I can make room for longer flights, hi hi...they did a nice job on this one, it performs super right out of the box...BEST ..<>..

Whew, nice pic...<>...
wnppmy is offline Find More Posts by wnppmy
Old Oct 30, 2008, 10:00 PM
Slow Flyer
sterling, Illinois
Joined Feb 2006
1,051 Posts
Gads when will I have time to fly this beauty, had again only a few minutes after 5 PM this evening, air was now 5 to 10 MPH winds not bad, put the battery closer to COG and perhaps slightly forward, went up this time with ease straight out, down nosed to be safe and still made altitude, this one doesn't need any up elevator flush or a smidgen down is suggested on my two brief flight experiences, used only near half throttle, if your not impatient thats plenty, its a floater should go up in light lift...landing was much easier this time into some stronger breezes, landing didn't pass me this time, hi hi..enjoying it, hope to make more time for it Friday...<>..its a winner...<>... BEST ..<>..
wnppmy is offline Find More Posts by wnppmy