HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Oct 19, 2008, 06:10 PM
Bazinga!
South Africa, KZN, Durban
Joined Feb 2007
614 Posts
I'm not sure, but during that video the Radian found some good thermals and would have probably stayed up there until the batteries went flat. Most of the flight was with no power, and no problem keeping it up there.
Moelich73 is offline Find More Posts by Moelich73
to remove ads between posts
Old Oct 19, 2008, 07:18 PM
Same Day Delivery
Economy, Pa.
Joined Mar 2002
3,454 Posts
Thumbs Up to you guy's, I bet you get some boomer thermals in your part of the world!
mike3976 is online now Find More Posts by mike3976
Old Oct 21, 2008, 08:48 AM
Home of A-10 - Farmingdale NY
United States, NH, Londonderry
Joined Dec 2006
926 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave Eichstedt
Welcome back, and welcome to RC Groups!

Our IT systems are a little weird when it comes to release dates for new products. There are some rules in there involving automatically adding a couple weeks to dates listed on purchase orders, months are split into thirds (early-, mid-, late-month), and there are manual overrides that can be entered by the right people. On top of this, we have iHobby this week, which throws the whole organization into a frenzy to support that event, with new product announcements and all the associated web content.

The Radian is on-schedule for shipping next week to hobby shops that pre-ordered as part of our launch campaign. Consumer direct orders always follow a few days after that. If you have a local shop you can visit that ordered during the launch, your best bet would be to pick one up from them.

Hope this helps,

David Eichstedt
Horizon Hobby

So I guess today is the day Oct 21st...that LHS in the US..will start selling the Radian....do I have that right?

Thanks,
-mike-
boiko is offline Find More Posts by boiko
Old Oct 21, 2008, 04:30 PM
Cardington, Ohio
Joined May 2007
123 Posts
I'll post as soon as I get my phone call.
Dave
ww8s is offline Find More Posts by ww8s
Old Oct 22, 2008, 09:02 AM
Austin, TX
Joined Oct 2008
30 Posts
This morning the status on the Radian RTF Horizon Hobby page changed from "Early November" to "Coming Soon". Psyched!
chipdrone is offline Find More Posts by chipdrone
Old Oct 22, 2008, 11:32 AM
Joined Dec 2006
926 Posts
Does anyone have any idea which will ship out to LHS first....the PnP or RTF version?

-mike-
Old Oct 22, 2008, 02:16 PM
Cardington, Ohio
Joined May 2007
123 Posts
The PnP was listed as arriving sooner than the RTF, now they both say "New Release". Generally the PnP hits the shelves first, then the RTF floods in. After that happens, the PnP gets hard to find.
Dave
ww8s is offline Find More Posts by ww8s
Old Oct 23, 2008, 08:36 AM
Horizon Hobby Employee
Mahomet, Illinois
Joined Aug 2007
2,256 Posts
Generally we try to ship them both at the same time. If they don't ship at the same time, we give priority to the RTF version.

RTF versions appear to be shipping to dealers today.

David Eichstedt
Currently in China
Dave Eichstedt is offline Find More Posts by Dave Eichstedt
Site Sponsor
Old Oct 23, 2008, 09:02 AM
Joined Dec 2006
926 Posts
Quote:
Generally we try to ship them both at the same time. If they don't ship at the same time, we give priority to the RTF version.

RTF versions appear to be shipping to dealers today.

David Eichstedt
Currently in China

Thanks Dave......

Does that mean PnP versions should be shipping to LHS sometime next week.?
Old Oct 24, 2008, 08:07 PM
Ireland
Joined Apr 2001
4,031 Posts
what about the spares?
I might be intersted in one but i am verry picky when it comes to my rc gear ect so i would prefer to get a airframe only and install my own choice of motor/ prop esc servo's and reciever.
cmulder is offline Find More Posts by cmulder
Old Oct 26, 2008, 02:07 AM
Joined Jul 2008
92 Posts
Quote:
... RTF versions appear to be shipping to dealers today.

David Eichstedt
Currently in China
David,

1) Why did Parkzone leave ailerons off the $250 Radian?

2) When may an under 2 lb. aileron Radian version be available?

Quote:
Originally Posted by dmt
A competition category of sailplanes that seems to be enjoying a revival is RES (that is, Rudder, Elevator, Spoilers). Spoilers are nice for escaping a boomer (a really powerful thermal) or for increasing your descent rate and angle when making a landing approach over obstacles, and to help you get a floater onto the ground in smaller landing areas.

... that's the one thing I wish the Radian had -- spoilers. ... after I get mine, that's the first mod that I'll be looking into. The flex-y wing could make that tricky though ... spoilers are more fun and, well, "sailplane-y" somehow ...

... If you're looking for a glider with ailerons (which is a very legitimate category!), simply look for a different aircraft. Maybe Parkzone will eventually put out a model in that category too.
dmt,

Your comment, "Spoilers are nice for ... increasing your descent rate and angle when making a landing approach over obstacles, and to help you get a floater onto the ground in smaller landing areas." ... is something I could use/enjoy, in my secondary smaller flight field (or even in the primary bigger field).

I still like the idea of ailerons, for something different/more than my current $65 3 ch. Harbor Freight Wild Hawk 55" glider. Such as flexible long graceful aileron steep banked turns, or more stunts like upside-down flights and rolls, later.

The problem in looking for other aircraft, is, I can't find one.

One that has it all, ie, a RTF 72" or more wing, ailerons, spoilers, foam, brushless/lipo, AND ALL UNDER 2 lbs., ... where the latter would allow for the lower cost park AMA membership, that requires under 2 lb. total flying wt., and under 60 mph top level flight speed. The Multiplex Electric Glider is 34 oz. or so, i.e. over 2 lbs. In a phone call, the AMA has stated Park membership planes must be under 2 lbs, no exceptions.

- Side question: Since a aileron-rudder-elevator glider is 4 ch., spoilers added would be 5 ch's.? So, the 2.4 ghz 5 ch. Radian transmitter/receiver, can handle it? -

Since reading your nice sounding spoiler info., its added to my new updated wish/dream plane:

RTF 72" or more wing with beautiful glider flight,
spoilers-ailerons-rudder-elevator-brushless-lipo-foam,
under 2 lbs., under 60 mph,
& under $200 (or under $250) with free ship.

(Maybe less important, a super dream item, would be "in mowed grass" durable/functional landing gear/wheels, added to all the above. Likely unlikely, & a very long shot chance.)

dmt, or anyone,

is there such a plane?
Mr_Cash is offline Find More Posts by Mr_Cash
Last edited by Mr_Cash; Oct 26, 2008 at 04:06 AM.
Old Oct 26, 2008, 07:55 AM
dmt
near Gangneung, Korea
Joined Jul 2004
688 Posts
Mr. Cash, it sounds like you're definitely narrowing down what you want. There might be something already out there that exactly matches your needs, but I'm not sure. The first thing that sprung to my mind was a Renny. It's not foam, which may be a dealbreaker for you -- but otherwise it seems to meet your needs.

Actually here's a webpage with a few planes that, while not foam, are electric gliders that are at least ARF, with 72 inch wingspans or more and come in under 2 pounds (check out the Renny 2m E II or Renny 2ME with Flaps (more expensive), Omega II 1.8, Omega II 2m with Flaps, and the Bliss:

http://www.nesail.com/categories.php...14e38cb02f29a1

Renny: http://www.nesail.com/detail.php?productID=1273

Bliss: http://www.nesail.com/detail.php?productID=4185

They say down at the bottom there that the transparent-covered version of the Bliss is possible to build at under 25 oz!

Also, on the NSP main page it says the Easy Glider Pro (which is a foamie) comes in at between 29-34oz (depending on motor choice and other parts choices and construction efficiency, I would guess) , so that may qualify in the "under 2 pounds" category.

Pro: http://www.nesail.com/detail.php?productID=5696

Good luck! If you're like me, I know you probably really want a foamie. However, the Renny is the first balsa plane that has tempted me since I bought my last crunchies (balsa) a few years ago. And as for the Bliss (which I just saw, when looking for the Renny), the price seems to be right and it's an attractive design.
dmt is offline Find More Posts by dmt
Last edited by dmt; Oct 26, 2008 at 08:35 AM.
Old Oct 27, 2008, 02:38 AM
Joined Jul 2008
92 Posts
dmt,

Thanks. I think the Easy Glider Pro 29 oz. refers to the non-motor glider, and 34 oz to the motor version (?). If so, the motorized Pro wouldn't satisfy the 32 oz or less, AMA park membership requirement.

dmt, or anyone,
if you have a brushless/lipo in your Easy Glider or Pro, and get a chance take it to a store with scales (Discount Drug Mart, etc.), to weigh it's flying wt., I would be interested to know. Maybe it is below 32 oz., with some brush-less/lipo configurations. Which would make it of interest, possibly being the only foam 4 ch aileron 71+" glider under 2 lbs., presently on the market.

dmt, at the site you mentioned, this one is under 32 oz., the Sweet:

http://www.nesail.com/detail.php?productID=4259

But, the 'Sweet' is not foam. Its likely wise for me to stay with foam. Balsa/fiberglass crunchie landing sounds are spookie to rookie's, like me.

I like the standard rudder tail, over V tail planes. I like most, the high elevator tail planes, like the Siren Hotliner or the Multiplex Aero-Master. Although both of these, are well over, and maybe double+, 2 lbs. in wt.

High mount pushers are nice, to protect the prop (lower broken prop expense), for rookies like me.

So, I should add pusher and high elevator on tail, to my wish list.

In fact, my ultimate dream machine glider/rc plane, just might be, a plane having the above, and items mentioned in the previous post, such as under 2 lbs, foam, 72+" wing, that looks like:

http://www.hobby-lobby.com/aeromaster.htm

If the Aero-Master was foam, under 2 lbs., same yellow & white color (or red or yellow wing/elevator/rudder tips on a mostly all white plane also looks nice), same 3 blade prop., see thru blue cockpit cover, high elevator on top of the rudder, brushless/lipo, maybe a 77+" wing span instead of 94", to get the wt. down to a half oz. under 2 lbs.,

... if possible including sturdy 'land-able in low mowed grass' sharp looking light aerodynamic wheels and landing gear,

RTF under $250, free ship,

... this high tail foam pusher brushless lipo under 2 lbs. ailerons 77+" wing Aero-Master clone, may be my #1 choice dream plane to date.

-------------

Upon reviewing my updated wish list, if the Radian simply had ailerons, stayed under 2 lbs. flying wt. and under $250 free ship,

... the Radian may have been the "only" plane on the market, that currently satisfy's my wish-list-dream next plane, ... as it would be the only foam aileron brushless/lipo 72+" wing plane under the 2 lb. wt. requirement.

----------

Appendix:

Updated wish-dream-list for next plane:

RTF 72+" wing with beautiful glider flight,
ailerons possibly with dual spoiler function,
-rudder-elevator-brushless-lipo-foam-

prefer high elevator top of rudder (std rudder/elevator ok),
clear blue cockpit cover,
high pusher 3 blade prop preferred (front 2 blade prop ok),
prefer sturdy usable 'land-able in mowed grass' light big aerodynamic wheels and landing gear (not required) ,

under 2 lbs., under 60 mph,
under $200 (or under $250) with free ship,

essentially a foam, 72+", barely under 2 lbs., clone look version, of the white and yellow Multiplex Aero-Master (... or red or yellow wing/elevator/rudder tips on a white plane, ... or blue & green accents on white like the Radian).

-------------

Aero-Master

Red Tips

Yellow/orange Tips
Last edited by Mr_Cash; Oct 27, 2008 at 01:12 PM.
Old Oct 27, 2008, 01:04 PM
dmt
near Gangneung, Korea
Joined Jul 2004
688 Posts
I'm with you on a lot of your requirements -- a pusher prop like on the Easy Star is definitely nice. And foamie. These things make what would seemingly be halfway decent landings (let alone outright screw ups) so much more survivable, instead of turning into soul-crushing events!

One possibility you might look into is putting Easy Glider wings into an Easy Star fuselage. That would give you an aileron-equipped, pusher prop foamie with 71" wings, under 2 pounds. You could make your own clear blue cockpit cover out of some sort of plastic bottle too! And of course, you could make your own landing gear. All this stuff has been done before. The Easy Glider wings don't exactly fit in the Easy Star fuselage (though it is close), but you can enlarge the wing root holes in the Easy Star to accept the Easy Glider wings (alternately, you can cut down the Easy Glider wing root's to fit in to the stock Easy Star fuselage holes). You could probably even come in pretty close to budget (only order the Easy Glider wing set, not the entire Easy Glider) -- though adding a separate brushless motor to the Easy Star could push things a bit.

You can search for all that [in the "Foamies (Kits)" section of RC groups.com] -- the Easy Star threads are so long that it can be a bit daunting though!

Here's a start:

W/ Easy Glider wings:

http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showt...ht=easy+glider

wheels & cockpit:
http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showp...&postcount=140
dmt is offline Find More Posts by dmt
Old Oct 27, 2008, 02:18 PM
Joined Jul 2008
92 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by dmt
... One possibility you might look into is putting Easy Glider wings into an Easy Star fuselage. That would give you an aileron-equipped, pusher prop foamie with 71" wings, under 2 pounds. You could make your own clear blue cockpit cover out of some sort of plastic bottle too! And of course, you could make your own landing gear. ... -- though adding a separate brushless motor to the Easy Star could push things a bit.
[/url]
dmt, Thanks.

I presently have two RTF 55" 3ch Wild Hawks pictured below, 16 oz. + 6 oz. oem battery, total 22 oz. flying wt., that are very similar to the Easy Star.

One was purchased new RTF for $65, on sale last July 2008 from Harbor Freight/ It was my first ever rc plane. I liked it so much, I bought another, used, for $16, a month later. After proper cg balance and trim, both remain fully working, with excellent glide and flight.

I had not considered your 'wing only buy' previously. With it, I could convert my 55" plane to 71", for $40. If the aileron wing is purchased, I may skip connecting the ailerons initially, & tape them fixed for a while, and fly the 71" wings with the stock brushed motor.

Interesting, ... for the price of wings, I basically would have an under 2 lb. foam 71" power glider.

Later, I could un-tape the ailerons, and go brushless with Hobby City's:

1) 200w brushless-motor-BESC-prop combo $20,
2) light wt 4.4 oz. 1500 mah lipo, or heavier but still relatively light 6.2 oz. 2200 mah lipo, either for $20, (one of these would replace the 6.0 oz. oem stock ni-mh 1300 mah battery, that I could still use in my 2nd Wild Hawk)
3) 2 - 3 cell lipo balance charger $6,
4) 2.4 ghx 5 ch. transmitter and receiver $67 (different site owner just got them in for sale shown at swap meet last wk.)
5) un-tape the Easy Glider wing ailerons & connect up to 2 aileron servos ($9 ea.?).

6) Ship fee $6 from Hobby City, other site free for over $50 purchases.
7) $2 paint, for a new finish look, using red, yellow, or blue-green accent on the tips.

Total: approx. $139

... Or $46 on an ARF basis, backing out the transmitter and battery costs.

Adding the $40 Easy Glider aileron wing, to my total cost after going brushless, would be about $179. I would have two planes, same as now. One having a 71" wing with ailerons and brushless/lipo vertical climb, something new/different.

If I pass on ailerons, the brand new Radian is $70 more at redrockethobbies, free ship. Giving 3 working RTF planes, ... one being brand new.

Or I could get the new Radian, and the Easy Glider aileron wing. The latter could be installed in the Radian that has the 5 ch. rx and tx, ... and move the Radian 78" wing without ailerons, to one of the brushed 55" Wild Hawks.

Cost for both: +$70 for Radian, + $40 for the Easy Glider aileron wing. Giving three planes, two having over 70" wings, for an extra $125 more, ... than the above $179 wing-transmitter-receiver-brushless-lipo upgrade package.

Another alternative, is, since the two Wild Hawks and Radian are all 3 ch planes, buy and install the Radian Wing on a Hawk, and use it with the stock brushed motor, until going brushless later. The converted Wild Hawk, would likely glide and look similar to Radian, for the price of a $30 - $40 wing. While costing $214 less, than the full RTF Radian price.

dmt, thanks also for the wheel and canopy links. The wheels close to the fuselage, appears a sturdy working solution, I had not considered.

Looking forward to the thread's Radian reviews.

Regards.
Last edited by Mr_Cash; Oct 28, 2008 at 12:09 AM.