SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Oct 11, 2008, 11:30 PM
dmt
near Gangneung, Korea
Joined Jul 2004
688 Posts
Flieslikeabeagle, thanks for the recommendation.

I actually have considered the Ascent. It's a good-looking bird. After reading through the thread though, it just didn't catch my fancy enough for me to actually go purchase it. I think the Radian will be next for me, and then a small unpowered sloper like maybe an RC-conversion Multiplex Fox or maybe a Nano Floh or something like that. After that, well..., anything after that will probably be a year two a way. At that point I might want to go for something high-performance, like an F3x type. Oh yeah, and a DLG! I've been thinking a lot about those lately.

We'll see. Lately, I'm just hoping the whole economy doesn't go down the tubes and there are still lots of these kinds of planes to buy (and I have at least a little money to spend on a hobby) over the next few years!
dmt is offline Find More Posts by dmt
to remove ads between posts
Old Oct 12, 2008, 01:00 AM
Got shenpa?
Los Angeles
Joined May 2004
10,940 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by dmt
Lately, I'm just hoping the whole economy doesn't go down the tubes and there are still lots of these kinds of planes to buy (and I have at least a little money to spend on a hobby) over the next few years!
I know the feeling, I'm just taking a leaf from Nero's book and fiddling while America burns.

Grab a fiddle and join in, the bonfires big and the party's going to go on for a long time!

-Flieslikeabeagle
flieslikeabeagle is offline Find More Posts by flieslikeabeagle
Old Oct 12, 2008, 01:50 AM
Foaming at the mouth..
USA, KS, Topeka
Joined Jul 2008
924 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by flieslikeabeagle
I know the feeling, I'm just taking a leaf from Nero's book and fiddling while America burns.

-Flieslikeabeagle
The roof, the roof, the roof is on fire.. we don't need no water let the burn.. .burn , burn..

Our economy is hosed, it's going to be a while before the American dollar is the world standard of currency comparison again.

~Kev

PS: Any news on the actual release date yet?
darksiede is offline Find More Posts by darksiede
Old Oct 15, 2008, 08:36 AM
Cardington, Ohio
Joined May 2007
123 Posts
My LHS says they will be shipping on Oct 21st. I put one on order.
ww8s is offline Find More Posts by ww8s
Old Oct 16, 2008, 04:33 PM
Austin, TX
Joined Oct 2008
30 Posts
Radian RTF delayed slightly?

Hi everyone, first post here.

Background: started as a novice flying glow fuel trainers back in 2000. Crashed, repaired, crashed again, lost interest in glow. Tried a small 3ch electric in '02 & enjoyed it until my kiddo speck'd it out & we both lost track of it. Along came the ParkZone Vapor a few weeks ago & the world of LiPo opened it's arms to welcome me. I'm hooked again.

So I pre-ordered a Radian RTF from Horizon & have been checked the website daily. Looks like today it changed to "Due Early November, 2008" on their web page. This is a sad thing. Anyone know any more about ETA at local hobby shops or why the slight delay? Or confirm the ww8s post about 10/21 arrival?

Originally I was hoping for arrival by my birthday next week, but I'll take a chill pill
chipdrone is offline Find More Posts by chipdrone
Last edited by chipdrone; Oct 16, 2008 at 05:20 PM.
Old Oct 16, 2008, 07:55 PM
Horizon Hobby Employee
Mahomet, Illinois
Joined Aug 2007
2,248 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by chipdrone
Hi everyone, first post here.

Background: started as a novice flying glow fuel trainers back in 2000. Crashed, repaired, crashed again, lost interest in glow. Tried a small 3ch electric in '02 & enjoyed it until my kiddo speck'd it out & we both lost track of it. Along came the ParkZone Vapor a few weeks ago & the world of LiPo opened it's arms to welcome me. I'm hooked again.

So I pre-ordered a Radian RTF from Horizon & have been checked the website daily. Looks like today it changed to "Due Early November, 2008" on their web page. This is a sad thing. Anyone know any more about ETA at local hobby shops or why the slight delay? Or confirm the ww8s post about 10/21 arrival?

Originally I was hoping for arrival by my birthday next week, but I'll take a chill pill
Welcome back, and welcome to RC Groups!

Our IT systems are a little weird when it comes to release dates for new products. There are some rules in there involving automatically adding a couple weeks to dates listed on purchase orders, months are split into thirds (early-, mid-, late-month), and there are manual overrides that can be entered by the right people. On top of this, we have iHobby this week, which throws the whole organization into a frenzy to support that event, with new product announcements and all the associated web content.

The Radian is on-schedule for shipping next week to hobby shops that pre-ordered as part of our launch campaign. Consumer direct orders always follow a few days after that. If you have a local shop you can visit that ordered during the launch, your best bet would be to pick one up from them.

Hope this helps,

David Eichstedt
Horizon Hobby
Dave Eichstedt is offline Find More Posts by Dave Eichstedt
Site Sponsor
Old Oct 16, 2008, 11:18 PM
Austin, TX
Joined Oct 2008
30 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave Eichstedt
The Radian is on-schedule for shipping next week to hobby shops that pre-ordered as part of our launch campaign. Consumer direct orders always follow a few days after that. If you have a local shop you can visit that ordered during the launch, your best bet would be to pick one up from them.
Dave - that's kind of you to respond personally! I'll keep my order with Horizon in case my LHS doesn't get it right away. I'm on a Radian RTF call-list at the LHS so I'll keep my phone line clear next week
chipdrone is offline Find More Posts by chipdrone
Old Oct 18, 2008, 01:37 PM
Bazinga!
South Africa, KZN, Durban
Joined Feb 2007
613 Posts
We flew the Radian again today, here's some video:

http://www.vimeo.com/2001194
Moelich73 is online now Find More Posts by Moelich73
Old Oct 19, 2008, 10:40 AM
Up Up and Away!
Joined May 2008
1,933 Posts
wow nice!!! Can you tell me about the propeller? Does it fold or something? Can you explan?

Also do the wings pull off for transportation?
lightspeeddud is offline Find More Posts by lightspeeddud
Old Oct 19, 2008, 10:45 AM
It works, don't touch it.
Joined Dec 2007
2,935 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by lightspeeddud
wow nice!!! Can you tell me about the propeller? Does it fold or something? Can you explan?

Also do the wings pull off for transportation?
"The ParkZone Radian offers the perfect opportunity for park pilots to experience the true essence of flight. Although a powerful 480 brushless motor enables initial launch, the propeller soon folds back to reduce drag, freeing the plane to utilize thermals of air to remain aloft, instead of batteries. That means flight times for this quiet and eco-friendly alternative are much longer than they are with traditional electric aircraft, making a relaxing day in the great outdoors even better.

Like all of ParkZone’s innovative and high-quality aircraft, the Radian looks great right out of the box. The plane’s large 2-meter wingspan and elliptical dihedral design improve flight performance and visibility from the ground, while plug-in wings provide for easy transportation and storage.

Not only does the Radian’s lightweight Z-Foam™ construction offer the perfect balance of weight and durability, it also makes repairs simple and quick. With the Plug-N-Play version, just install your battery and receiver, and you are only minutes away from the ultimate soaring adventure."
skiesthelimit is offline Find More Posts by skiesthelimit
Old Oct 19, 2008, 10:46 AM
Bazinga!
Joined Feb 2007
613 Posts
Yes, it's a folding propeller. The wings slide onto a thick carbon rod into the center of the fuselage, and they just slide off for transportation.
Old Oct 19, 2008, 10:47 AM
Bazinga!
Joined Feb 2007
613 Posts
Hehe you beat me to it with seconds...
Old Oct 19, 2008, 11:22 AM
USA, CA, Mountain View
Joined Dec 2007
933 Posts
How is that elliptical dihedral maintained? Is there some reinforcement at the wing tips to maintain the curve, or is it just the curved foam?
7rider is offline Find More Posts by 7rider
Old Oct 19, 2008, 12:10 PM
Bazinga!
Joined Feb 2007
613 Posts
It looks like just foam, but strong.
Old Oct 19, 2008, 05:53 PM
Cupertino, CA
Joined Aug 2007
158 Posts
just wonderin, whats the longest fligthtime you guys have had with it?
gandhimtb is offline Find More Posts by gandhimtb