SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Mar 08, 2009, 02:46 PM
Horizon Hobby Employee
Mahomet, Illinois
Joined Aug 2007
2,248 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by EZ Money
Let me add my positives. I am a pretty experienced modeler (35 years at it) and mostly fly 3D electrics, but I bought one to take to the desert near my home in Las Vegas just to make sure them glider guys were not having too much fun. Today was my first flight. Temp 63, no wind, sunny. I flew it on a TP 1380 battery with my Spectrum 7 and a 6000 receiver.

It was perfect in every way. No real trim necessary (maybe a couple of clicks of down) and after three motor runs of less than 30 seconds each I was still flying after 30 minutes. I never had it a full power.

Being an old guy I had to land due to a stiff neck and sore back.

This is really a great airplane and should be fairly easy for beginners.

BTW: After 30 minutes and three motor runs (plus launch) the battery still read 11.80 volts.
Glad you had a great introduction to the Radian. If that's an AR6000 receiver you were using, I suggest you switch over to a full-range receiver. Sailplanes can get quite far away, and the 6000 is only a park flyer receiver. Also, the AR6000 is a DSM1 receiver, so the DX7 transmits using DSM1 to interact with it. Transmitting in DSM1 requires more energy, so the endurance of your DX7 will be less.

I suggest the AR500 instead.

Best Regards,

David Eichstedt
Dave Eichstedt is offline Find More Posts by Dave Eichstedt
Site Sponsor
to remove ads between posts
Old Mar 08, 2009, 05:26 PM
York, ne
Joined Feb 2005
599 Posts
Can someone tell me the difference between "cell-balancing" and "error" on the charger?

I finally ran out of battery, recharged it (or so I thought).. and only got up twice before the engine started pulsing.

When I plug it in now, I get GREENRED off .. GREENRED off .. (repeat)

On the charger it says flashing green-red is cell balancing, but alternating green-red is error. I don't know the difference. Help?

<edit>
Must have been cell-balancing, it's flashing red now.
melcrose is offline Find More Posts by melcrose
Last edited by melcrose; Mar 08, 2009 at 05:37 PM.
Old Mar 08, 2009, 05:43 PM
Triple boxed goodness!
United Kingdom, Doncaster
Joined Sep 2008
1,552 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by melcrose
Can someone tell me the difference between "cell-balancing" and "error" on the charger?

I finally ran out of battery, recharged it (or so I thought).. and only got up twice before the engine started pulsing.

When I plug it in now, I get GREENRED off .. GREENRED off .. (repeat)

On the charger it says flashing green-red is cell balancing, but alternating green-red is error. I don't know the difference. Help?

<edit>
Must have been cell-balancing, it's flashing red now.
If your getting green-red-green-red and an annoying tone at the same time its an error, when its balancing the green and red flash but not in a consitent pattern and also there isn't a tone. Sounds like you have problems with either your battery or the charger.
simon737 is offline Find More Posts by simon737
Old Mar 08, 2009, 06:12 PM
LSF - IV
United States, TX, Highland Village
Joined Jan 2003
3,132 Posts
Nice way to end the weekend

Overcast, 4:00 PM has a contest this afternoon, thought we'd take the radians out for a spin... Motor run for 15 to 30 seconds, you can see it consistantly in the plots.... gets real tiny over 1000 feet.

Big air, then it died... was like shoot fish in a barrel... again

Dan in Dallas...
Hostage-46 is offline Find More Posts by Hostage-46
Old Mar 08, 2009, 07:24 PM
York, ne
Joined Feb 2005
599 Posts
Hostage, do you have a link for the .. . . how-high-up-in-the-air thingy?
Old Mar 08, 2009, 07:50 PM
Nampa Idaho
Joined Jun 2006
394 Posts
Quote:
Glad you had a great introduction to the Radian. If that's an AR6000 receiver you were using, I suggest you switch over to a full-range receiver. Sailplanes can get quite far away, and the 6000 is only a park flyer receiver. Also, the AR6000 is a DSM1 receiver, so the DX7 transmits using DSM1 to interact with it. Transmitting in DSM1 requires more energy, so the endurance of your DX7 will be less.

I suggest the AR500 instead.

Best Regards,

David Eichstedt
I have a DX 7 receiver but where in the world am I going to find room for a full range receiver? Never mind, I looked up the AR500 and that will fit, so I will take your advice and pick up a couple.

I have an older Spectrum 6 (version 1) For my other planes such as my Mini Edge 540, would I be better off using that TX with the AR6000?
EZ Money is online now Find More Posts by EZ Money
Last edited by EZ Money; Mar 08, 2009 at 08:01 PM.
Old Mar 08, 2009, 08:20 PM
Horizon Hobby Employee
Mahomet, Illinois
Joined Aug 2007
2,248 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by EZ Money
I have a DX 7 receiver but where in the world am I going to find room for a full range receiver? Never mind, I looked up the AR500 and that will fit, so I will take your advice and pick up a couple.

I have an older Spectrum 6 (version 1) For my other planes such as my Mini Edge 540, would I be better off using that TX with the AR6000?
Keep your DX6 and AR6000 for park flyers. Sailplanes can really get up and away from you before you know it, so you want the security of a full-range system.

David
Dave Eichstedt is offline Find More Posts by Dave Eichstedt
Site Sponsor
Old Mar 08, 2009, 08:42 PM
LSF - IV
Joined Jan 2003
3,132 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by melcrose
Hostage, do you have a link for the .. . . how-high-up-in-the-air thingy?

That would be the RAM3 with the lipo battery...

http://home.epix.net/~rcbrust/
Old Mar 08, 2009, 11:41 PM
York, ne
Joined Feb 2005
599 Posts
I did a "magnet mod" I heard mention of:

I added 4 small very light rare-earth magnets to the tail, 2 in the tail itself and 2 in the support structure near the back.

I just drilled out a little of the bottom of the tail "feathers" so the magnets couldn't slip around and put some packing tape over them.

Then I drilled out a bit of the plastic in the bottom / back support structure, put the magnets flush, and taped them down 3 ways.
(I'm sure I'll glue them at some point, this was just a test..)

Now box-to-flying is as simple as running the control rod thru the horn and letting the tail pop into place. It takes an amazing amount of force to move or remove it, so I'm sure it's not going anywhere in flight. (I'm incredibly paranoid about such things and used to use 4 pieces of tape!)

Keep in mind these were EXPENSIVE rare-earth magnets I had laying around, smaller and stronger than the others used on the Radian.

Anyway, just a thought to make a great plane even better!
Old Mar 09, 2009, 07:53 AM
LSF - IV
Joined Jan 2003
3,132 Posts
Simple coroplast box

Quote:
Originally Posted by IBbob31
Hostage-46-

Years ago on this site was a print for a coro box made with a single sheet of 4X8, just cut fold and glue or rivet. Do you have that plan or can lead me in the right direction? Also my Radian has been flown so much that a new skid is needed soon and are not listed on the parts site of Parkzone seperately. Anyone makeing a trick carbon one to sell YET!!!

Thanks, Bob
Bob I once had that box plan, I'll look for it. But I just took the radian box and used it as a pattern. I still use the styropfoam insert. I didn't use a full sheet of coroplast. I used pop rivets and the it opens on the top vs the side. Pretty simple. You do want to make the time a big enough to close over the folded corners, so cut the lid last. I'll get a picture or two and add into this post...
Old Mar 09, 2009, 10:21 AM
Brooksville, FL, USA
Joined Jul 2001
22 Posts
EZ Money,

I picked up a AR500 receiver at Perry this weekend. It is a single unit full range receiver for Spektrum. It has one small antenna and a longer one (about 9 inches) on the other side. Fits perfect in the Radian and I threaded the long antenna towards the front. Runs $49.99 from Horizon.
gdill is offline Find More Posts by gdill
Old Mar 09, 2009, 01:11 PM
DFW, Texas
Joined Nov 2007
43 Posts
I just recently got a Radian and had a blast flying it this last weekend. I was just using the standard 3 cell lipo that came with it. I have a couple other 2-cell lipo's laying around and was wondering if anyone had tried flying it on 2 cells? Any experience, will it work properly or is it too underpowered?

Thanks!
WWAndy is offline Find More Posts by WWAndy
Old Mar 09, 2009, 01:36 PM
Joined Sep 2008
675 Posts
If I recall, when I tried it on 2 cell (with stock speed controller), the motor wouldn't even turn over. So maybe if you reprogram the speed controller?
aurorae is offline Find More Posts by aurorae
Old Mar 09, 2009, 01:53 PM
Romford, UK
Joined Jun 2004
159 Posts
Would the radian be able to hold and fly well with a 3S 2000mAh lipo?
Trancer is offline Find More Posts by Trancer
Old Mar 09, 2009, 01:59 PM
DFW, Texas
Joined Nov 2007
43 Posts
Thanks Aurorae,

that's kind of what I was looking for...

I think the plane can easily handle the weight of 3s2000, just depends on whether or not you can fit it in. I think it should be possible though. Minor CG adjustments maybe necessary.
WWAndy is offline Find More Posts by WWAndy