Here's a little bit of footage I found of it flying in some wind:
Radian
AndyTheLegend is offline Find More Posts by AndyTheLegend
to remove ads between posts
Old Sep 15, 2008, 02:41 AM
United States, FL, Orlando
Joined Jan 2008
96 Posts
It does seem to require alot of throttle to keep it going.
Lip. is offline Find More Posts by Lip.
Old Sep 15, 2008, 07:24 AM
Horizon Hobby Employee
Mahomet, Illinois
Joined Aug 2007
2,248 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lip.
It does seem to require alot of throttle to keep it going.
It was blowing about 15mph that day! I was there! That's why the pilot was on the throttle the whole time. We also had some pretty restrictive airspace limitations at North Weald that day.

Under normal conditions you'll just use the throttle in short bursts to climb to altitude and you'll be soaring power off for most of the time.

David
Dave Eichstedt is offline Find More Posts by Dave Eichstedt
Site Sponsor
Old Sep 15, 2008, 10:25 AM
drh
Rhode Island
Joined Aug 2007
220 Posts
Question regarding 3 ch setup

Forgive the possibly stupid question but is the rudder usually assigned to the right stick on 3ch planes such as this one?

The only reason i ask is that the manual shows the rudder on the left stick of the DX5E. How is this plane set up out of the box?

thanks
drh is offline Find More Posts by drh
Old Sep 15, 2008, 11:51 AM
Horizon Hobby Employee
Mahomet, Illinois
Joined Aug 2007
2,248 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by drh
Forgive the possibly stupid question but is the rudder usually assigned to the right stick on 3ch planes such as this one?

The only reason i ask is that the manual shows the rudder on the left stick of the DX5E. How is this plane set up out of the box?

thanks
Not a stupid question! Right stick is used for primary turning control, which is usually ailerons. For 3-channel airplanes that use rudder, the rudder servo is connected to the aileron channel, so the right stick is still used for primary turning control, which in this case is the rudder, not ailerons. Out of the box, the Radian will have the rudder plugged into the aileron channel, so you'll turn with the right stick not the left.

David
Horizon
Site Sponsor
Old Sep 15, 2008, 01:49 PM
drh
Rhode Island
Joined Aug 2007
220 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave Eichstedt
Not a stupid question! Right stick is used for primary turning control, which is usually ailerons. For 3-channel airplanes that use rudder, the rudder servo is connected to the aileron channel, so the right stick is still used for primary turning control, which in this case is the rudder, not ailerons. Out of the box, the Radian will have the rudder plugged into the aileron channel, so you'll turn with the right stick not the left.

David
Horizon

thanks for the reply.

How much of a leap will it be to fly this if my RC flight experience is with the Blade CX2 and the Parkzone Vapor? Would you consider the Radian somewhat of a slowflyer?
Old Sep 15, 2008, 02:28 PM
Up Up and Away!
Joined May 2008
1,933 Posts
Quote:
It was blowing about 15mph that day! I was there! That's why the pilot was on the throttle the whole time. We also had some pretty restrictive airspace limitations at North Weald that day.

Under normal conditions you'll just use the throttle in short bursts to climb to altitude and you'll be soaring power off for most of the time.

David
wait a second!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !!!!!!
The day that video was recorded was april!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
How come we did not know about this plane in april.
lightspeeddud is offline Find More Posts by lightspeeddud
Old Sep 16, 2008, 07:37 PM
Horizon Hobby Employee
Mahomet, Illinois
Joined Aug 2007
2,248 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by drh
thanks for the reply.

How much of a leap will it be to fly this if my RC flight experience is with the Blade CX2 and the Parkzone Vapor? Would you consider the Radian somewhat of a slowflyer?
"Slowflyer" is a term that kind of describes a certain class of airplanes, and the Radian is not in that class. However, if you have mastered the Vapor you probably won't have any problem with the Radian. You should be past the #1 killer of airplanes flown by beginners, which is left/right disorientation.

The Radian does require a much larger flying area, however! For a beginner, think about an open area at least the size of a football field, preferrably two. It has an amazing L/D (glide ratio), especially if you're not used to flying sailplanes. It takes a little practice to master the energy management to make a spot landing. The good thing is that with rudder/elevator sailplanes, it's very relaxing. Things don't happen too fast, and they're usually fairly smooth.

Many people have flown sailplanes as their first R/C aircraft, including me.

Hope this helps,

David
Site Sponsor
Old Sep 20, 2008, 07:29 PM
drh
Rhode Island
Joined Aug 2007
220 Posts
Quote:
"Slowflyer" is a term that kind of describes a certain class of airplanes, and the Radian is not in that class. However, if you have mastered the Vapor you probably won't have any problem with the Radian. You should be past the #1 killer of airplanes flown by beginners, which is left/right disorientation.

The Radian does require a much larger flying area, however! For a beginner, think about an open area at least the size of a football field, preferrably two. It has an amazing L/D (glide ratio), especially if you're not used to flying sailplanes. It takes a little practice to master the energy management to make a spot landing. The good thing is that with rudder/elevator sailplanes, it's very relaxing. Things don't happen too fast, and they're usually fairly smooth.

Hope this helps,

David
It does help.

I am definitely leaning towards purchasing the Radian, Super Cub or SLO-V. The radio/electronics included with the Radian are a pretty big plus in it's favor for sure!

I had a chance to see a friend's Super Cub in action today. Much faster than my Vapor!! I was wondering if the Radian flies at about SC speed or slower than the SC. Also is it faster or slower than the Slo-V? If a field is large enough for the SC or SLO-V, is it also large enough for the Radian?

thank you
Old Sep 20, 2008, 09:58 PM
John,not Zerts.JOHN, NOT Zerts
USA, AZ, Chandler
Joined Nov 2007
1,840 Posts
[QUOTE=Dave EichstedtThe Radian does require a much larger flying area, however! For a beginner, think about an open area at least the size of a football field, preferrably two. It has an amazing L/D (glide ratio), especially if you're not used to flying sailplanes. It takes a little practice to master the energy management to make a spot landing. The good thing is that with rudder/elevator sailplanes, it's very relaxing. Things don't happen too fast, and they're usually fairly smooth.

Hope this helps,

David[/QUOTE]

If this bird has a good L/D but no ailerons or spoilers, then it would really be tricky to land in a confined area. Better to decide to land w/ enough battery for a couple of go-arounds. Or do some really pronounced S-turns on final or gentle stalls if you are a risk-taker.
I have encountered a lot of rising air bubbles on final to make any sailplane hard to land inside the same zip code.
Zerts is offline Find More Posts by Zerts
Old Sep 21, 2008, 08:40 AM
Random Flier
Oxford (UK) and Mtn View CA (USA)
Joined Nov 2002
1,402 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zerts
...I have encountered a lot of rising air bubbles on final to make any sailplane hard to land inside the same zip code.
LOL!
I guess a Dethermalizer (sp?) would be an obvious mod. Or parachute...
isvana is offline Find More Posts by isvana
Old Sep 21, 2008, 09:38 AM
WAA-08 THANK FRANK!
Las Cruces, New Mexico, United States
Joined Jun 2002
7,133 Posts
An easy way to slow down a 3 channel glider for landing is to turn the motor on, just a click or two. The folding prop will extend, but the motor won't be turning fast enough to push the plane (unless you have a rediculously over powered setup) and the larger the prop, the greater the "air brake" effect of the extended prop blades. When I need to get my 3 channel birds down quicker or out of lift, I'll deploy the prop to keep me from going too fast while I bleed off altitude.

On landing, be ready to shut the motor off and engage the esc brake, just before the plane touches the ground.

JimNM
JimNM is offline Find More Posts by JimNM
Old Sep 23, 2008, 01:27 PM
Wind Rider
United States, CO
Joined Dec 2006
986 Posts
I am impressed - Parkzone is definitely covering all of the bases for most pilots and doing a better job with each new release.

For a while I have been considering adding the MPX EGE to my fleet, but this has me curious enough to wait!

Take care,
Mike
eagleswings is offline Find More Posts by eagleswings
Old Sep 23, 2008, 01:44 PM
USA, FL, Doral
Joined Jul 2006
1,297 Posts
no ailerons?
i will stick to the mpx EZglider then....but again, looks like a great RTF glider!
good job parkzone keep them coming, and now, where's that EDF?
yucafrita
yucafrita is offline Find More Posts by yucafrita
Old Sep 25, 2008, 07:45 PM
It works, don't touch it.
Joined Dec 2007
2,935 Posts
I am definetely interested in this model. I find myself flying my models higher and higher. I even fly my 3D plane to unreasonable heights. I am amazed at how much range i get from just an AR6100 and a DX7. I may get it around Christmas time. Having said that, do thermals occur in winter time?
skiesthelimit is offline Find More Posts by skiesthelimit