SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Nov 08, 2008, 10:43 AM
Kings Park, New York
Joined Jan 2005
1,241 Posts
Thanks for the link! I'll check it out. I was in Austin a lot up until two years ago, and it looks like there may be more business there for me soon. If so, maybe I'll get a second Radian and leave it there. It would be great to get back to fly in a quieter area (less gremlins than Long Island anyway), and for some real BBQ brisket (Salt Lick) .
Ken
kenmalecki is offline Find More Posts by kenmalecki
to remove ads between posts
Old Nov 09, 2008, 04:44 AM
Life is Good!
Germany
Joined Apr 2005
1,200 Posts
Alternate Lipo Pack

Radian owners,
I'm thinking about adding a Radian to my fleet but my options here in Germany are limited to the PNP right now. I have everything else that is needed except for the lipo. The parkzone lipo is out-of-stock everywhere that I've looked, at least until January so I'm looking for alternatives. What do you think of this pack? It looks close to the size/weight of the stock Parkzone pack...

Zippy-K 1300 3S1P 20C Lipo pack

Tank
Tank52 is offline Find More Posts by Tank52
Last edited by Tank52; Nov 09, 2008 at 05:04 AM.
Old Nov 09, 2008, 07:33 AM
Austin, TX
Joined Oct 2008
30 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tank52
Radian owners,
The parkzone lipo is out-of-stock everywhere that I've looked, at least until January so I'm looking for alternatives. What do you think of this pack? It looks close to the size/weight of the stock Parkzone pack...
Zippy-K 1300 3S1P 20C Lipo pack
That pack or one of the Rhino packs at the same site is what I plan to get also. You'll either have to convert its Dean's-Plug output to a ParkZone/eFlite EC3 connector, or make a jumper that converts between EC3 and Dean's.

A flying buddy of mine has been buying a lot of lower-capacity Rhinos for his 6oz aerobatic foamie, and they seem really good. Very low output resistance measured on his Hyperion charger.
chipdrone is offline Find More Posts by chipdrone
Old Nov 09, 2008, 07:37 AM
Austin, TX
Joined Oct 2008
30 Posts
Warning - Cockpit ejection

I was out flying yesterday at a local field & caught my first thermals a couple of times. Amazing to watch the bird get smaller & smaller as I circled within the thermal.

When I was up pretty high in my second thermal, I bled off altitude with some loops and dives. Upon landing, I notice my black plastic cockpit-cover was gone! It's only held on by small magnets - although magnets that I thought were pretty strong. I had noticed that the cockpit cover had a cooling vent hole, so maybe that just caught too much wind from my dive.

I'm making a new cockpit cover from a plastic milk jug and velcro, but folks getting new Radians might want to consider reinforcing that cover. Maybe replace the stock magnets some stronger ones. Or drill a small hole to add some fishing wire attached to the fuse somewhere as a retainer.
chipdrone is offline Find More Posts by chipdrone
Old Nov 09, 2008, 07:46 AM
Life is Good!
Germany
Joined Apr 2005
1,200 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by chipdrone
That pack or one of the Rhino packs at the same site is what I plan to get also. You'll either have to convert its Dean's-Plug output to a ParkZone/eFlite EC3 connector, or make a jumper that converts between EC3 and Dean's.

A flying buddy of mine has been buying a lot of lower-capacity Rhinos for his 6oz aerobatic foamie, and they seem really good. Very low output resistance measured on his Hyperion charger.
I just noticed the Rhino packs on the site. I think I'll try out one or two of their 3s-1250s. I use Deans for just about everything. I think they're the best, though I haven't tried the EC3 connectors...
Tank52 is offline Find More Posts by Tank52
Old Nov 09, 2008, 09:21 AM
Plane on the Brain
Joined Apr 2005
840 Posts
coolboarder is offline Find More Posts by coolboarder
Old Nov 09, 2008, 09:46 AM
John,not Zerts.JOHN, NOT Zerts
USA, AZ, Chandler
Joined Nov 2007
1,840 Posts
Quote:
I was out flying yesterday at a local field & caught my first thermals a couple of times. Amazing to watch the bird get smaller & smaller as I circled within the thermal.

When I was up pretty high in my second thermal, I bled off altitude with some loops and dives. Upon landing, I notice my black plastic cockpit-cover was gone! It's only held on by small magnets - although magnets that I thought were pretty strong. I had noticed that the cockpit cover had a cooling vent hole, so maybe that just caught too much wind from my dive.

I'm making a new cockpit cover from a plastic milk jug and velcro, but folks getting new Radians might want to consider reinforcing that cover. Maybe replace the stock magnets some stronger ones. Or drill a small hole to add some fishing wire attached to the fuse somewhere as a retainer.

The magnets from electric toothbrushes are very strong, especially when you use 2 magnets together instead of one magnet and one steel washer.

Hobby-Lobby has strong neodynamium magnets. The Radio Shack magnets are not good at all.
Zerts is offline Find More Posts by Zerts
Last edited by Zerts; Nov 09, 2008 at 09:51 AM.
Old Nov 09, 2008, 10:11 AM
Home of A-10 - Farmingdale NY
United States, NH, Londonderry
Joined Dec 2006
936 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tank52
I just noticed the Rhino packs on the site. I think I'll try out one or two of their 3s-1250s. I use Deans for just about everything. I think they're the best, though I haven't tried the EC3 connectors...
I use Deans also, so I'll probably just snip off the EC3 connectors and replace with Deans. No need for the increase in weight and wire/connector length..just deans to deans.

As for 1300 LiPo replacement...I will probably also try out the Rhino packs. But since I live in the US, I'll go for a local vendor who sells the renamed Loong Max LiPo (now called GForce - heard this on the Just Go Fly Podcast) Just ordered a 1300mAh 20C @ 114 grams and a 1600mAh 20C @ 136 grams. a Little more then stock but not by much..

http://www.valuehobby.com/products.php?category_id=8

-mike-
boiko is offline Find More Posts by boiko
Old Nov 10, 2008, 12:11 PM
Cardington, Ohio
Joined May 2007
123 Posts
Of course you guys know that the Zippy-K pack Tank posted a link to is also a Loong Max Lipo. Warranty concerns are the reason HC and VH changed the labels to different names. I have some of each, they all have a good reputation.
Dave
ww8s is offline Find More Posts by ww8s
Old Nov 10, 2008, 01:31 PM
Silicon/poker/chocolate chips
Austin, TX
Joined Sep 2008
1,376 Posts
WARNING - RC interference, Round Rock, TX

Quote:
Hi Ken. This website lists local sites around Austin. But so far I've only flown at parks not listed on that site.

I've flown in a very large open field on the north end of Old Settler's Park in Round Rock, TX which you can find through Google Maps. Close to my house in NW Austin there is a middle school and a neighborhood park that both have large open spaces to fly in if there aren't little soccer or lacrosse gremlins roaming about.
Sorry - this is a bit off topic for a world wide forum, but I feel it's important to mention this:

This is not an issue for the 2.4GHz radios, but if you are using an "old school" 72MHz radio you MUST NOT fly at Old Settler's Park. There is an RC club field in the middle of the park and radio interference will almost certainly be a problem. (Although you could simply join the club and fly on their field using their frequency control system.)
Chip Geek is offline Find More Posts by Chip Geek
Old Nov 10, 2008, 03:10 PM
Joined Feb 2008
12 Posts
adding a camera

I was interested in using this as a platform for area photography. I don't have the radian but hope to get one soon.

I thought about positioning an old Canon SD500 170 grams or purchasing a FlyCamOne2 downwards under one of the wings.

given the lack of ailerons on the radian, could this plane still take the weight under one of the wings or would the rudder need to be trimmed to a point where it may loose airworthiness.

i guess I could also position the camera on top of the fuse...
dmc646 is offline Find More Posts by dmc646
Old Nov 10, 2008, 03:22 PM
Bazinga!
South Africa, KZN, Durban
Joined Feb 2007
618 Posts
dmc646, I was also thinking of using it for AP, but decided on building a ZagNutz as it seems to be a better platform for a camera. Have a look here , lots of good advice.
Moelich73 is offline Find More Posts by Moelich73
Old Nov 10, 2008, 05:19 PM
Joined Oct 2008
14 Posts
Hello!
I'm looking to get into the sport and I'm not sure if I should get the RTF or get the PNP with a nicer radio setup. I'm looking to stay with the sport for quite a while and was looking at the Spektrum DX6i radio for the PNP.

Any thoughts on this?
BassManNate is offline Find More Posts by BassManNate
Old Nov 10, 2008, 06:16 PM
RC pilot,AMA Member.
Northeast PA
Joined Sep 2007
1,176 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by BassManNate
Hello!
I'm looking to get into the sport and I'm not sure if I should get the RTF or get the PNP with a nicer radio setup. I'm looking to stay with the sport for quite a while and was looking at the Spektrum DX6i radio for the PNP.

Any thoughts on this?
Believe me or not the rtf will cost you less,WITH A DX6I!,don't believe me? Look at this,the (great) battery and (nice variable rate) charger are not included with the PNP,together they cost about 65$,the dx5e costs about 50$ without receiver,the (DX6i compatable) receiver costs 50$,so the equipment not included with the PNP but with the RTF costs about 165$.The PNP costs 159$ you would need a 35$ battery and 30$ charger,(a good charger you can grow with like the RTF's one go's for that much ) a Spektrum DX6i costs 200$ (with receiver ) that means the PNP with a DX6i and equipment costs 430$,a parted out dx6i on Ebay(new, but without receiver) costs 130$,+15$ shipping,a RTF radian costs 250$ that means a rtf radian with a dx6i costs 395$,plus you can sell the dx5e included with the rtf for 50$ for a total out of pocket price of 345$(!),so thats a savings of 85$!
sonicjet is offline Find More Posts by sonicjet
Last edited by sonicjet; Nov 10, 2008 at 06:29 PM.
Old Nov 10, 2008, 07:04 PM
Rugby
Joined Jan 2007
18 Posts
Hello can you help can you plug the parkzone stock Trojan battery in to the Radian its a 3 cell . The Radian have the same motor ? Thanks
paul ace is offline Find More Posts by paul ace