HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Nov 06, 2008, 02:53 PM
Cardington, Ohio
Joined May 2007
123 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff_edge540
Question for you Radian owners..
I see there is two options; a RTF and a 'plug and play' version. What are the differences between the two? It looks like the RTF adds a receiver, transmitter and battery..?
The RTF also includes an adjustable (up to 2.0 Amp) Lipo charger. The PNP has everything except these four items.
Dave
ww8s is offline Find More Posts by ww8s
to remove ads between posts
Old Nov 06, 2008, 03:33 PM
Austin, TX
Joined Oct 2008
30 Posts
Yes, for $90 more than the PNP version, the RTF kit includes the Spektrum D5Xe transmitter & receiver ($100), the 2-3 Cell balancing LiPo charger ($30), and the 1300mAH battery ($35). That's $165 of accessories that I already considered fairly-priced for only $90, so it was a no-brainer.

If you consider that the whole Radian RTF gives you those four accessories and adds two $12 micro servos, a $45 30-amp programmable ESC with BEC, a $49 480 outrunner brushless motor, then you're getting $283 worth of parts for $250. They're practically paying you $33 to take that awful plane (fuse, wings, pushrods, control horns, motor mount) off their hands

I know, it sounds like I work there. Nah, they wouldn't be as blatant as me
chipdrone is offline Find More Posts by chipdrone
Last edited by chipdrone; Nov 06, 2008 at 04:53 PM. Reason: Typo fixed
Old Nov 06, 2008, 03:40 PM
Mis-guided heli guy
Austin, TX USA
Joined Mar 2007
1,470 Posts
Ok, you've convinced me
I just pulled the trigger for an RTF version.
Jeff_edge540 is offline Find More Posts by Jeff_edge540
Old Nov 06, 2008, 04:20 PM
Silicon/poker/chocolate chips
Austin, TX
Joined Sep 2008
1,376 Posts
Paging Dave Eichstedt

Paging Dave Eichstedt - Your PM box is full. Please send me a PM - I have a question for you.
Chip Geek is online now Find More Posts by Chip Geek
Old Nov 06, 2008, 07:45 PM
Joined Nov 2008
1 Posts
Maiden Flight

Maiden flight on my Radian today.... In a word... AWESOME!
Had about 8-10 kts of wind down the runway....
WOW! an incredible flyer.... I agree with all the reviews previously posted..

I would like to add that there are no problems with CG or battery placement. Just put it in the aft part of the cockpit and secure with the included strap... It's error proof....

I flew 4 flights.. It was a cool morning so no big thermals but that did not matter... the 10 kt wind or so kept her hovering for a looong time.... later in the AM it warmed up and I found a few Buzzards.... flew with them until my neck got tired..... I doubt I used up half the battery.... Simply amazing...

Had several spectators at the field with many years of RC flying experience..

I guess I can sum this aircraft up in their quotes....

"Beautiful"....
"Graceful"....
"Unbelievable"... (Just about Zero groundspeed over the runway...)
"Look at that"......
one guy kept saying... "Is he using the motor?....." I wasn't (this was during my loops)

"I got to get me one of those... who makes it?"

and my personal favorite.....

"Now that is flying!!!!!"

A sheer pleasure....

Thanks Parkzone!!!!!

Kencfii

www.kencfii.com
kencfii is offline Find More Posts by kencfii
Old Nov 06, 2008, 10:48 PM
Kings Park, New York
Joined Jan 2005
1,255 Posts
Hi! Quick question about the Radian. I understand it's a 3-ch plane without ailerons. How is the RTF version set up on the Tx? Is it right stick for rudder and elevator, and left stick just for throttle. Or is the rudder on the left stick? I guess however it's set up, you could change to personal preference by just replugging the rudder servo on the Rx (ch 2 to ch 4 or vis versa?).
Thanks!
Ken
kenmalecki is offline Find More Posts by kenmalecki
Old Nov 06, 2008, 11:04 PM
Austin, TX
Joined Oct 2008
30 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by kenmalecki
Is it right stick for rudder and elevator, and left stick just for throttle.
I guess however it's set up, you could change to personal preference by just replugging the rudder servo on the Rx (ch 2 to ch 4 or vis versa?).
Yes & yes.
Old Nov 06, 2008, 11:38 PM
Slow Flyer
sterling, Illinois
Joined Feb 2006
1,060 Posts
This plane is rather durable, I managed to lose the visual for a second on orientation way at the far end of the field for her to settle down and come in for a landing, just off the large field are some trees, can't believe I turned it the wrong way and somehow brushed the lower branches, she was only 15-20 foot or so up, came down hard on a metal fence, then into the turf....checking for damages only was on one wing, trailing edge had a sizeable break and a noticeable ding on the leading edge of the wing...packing tape pulled the larger crack back together...sure I really messed things up ordered another pair of wings, but she still flys extremely well as tho nothing happened...but deserves a new pair, its simply too nice a bird and to be back 100 percent....waiting for stormy weather to break for some more enjoyable flights...BEST ..<>.
wnppmy is offline Find More Posts by wnppmy
Old Nov 07, 2008, 09:55 AM
Austin, TX
Joined Oct 2008
30 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by wnppmy
checking for damages only was on one wing, trailing edge had a sizeable break and a noticeable ding on the leading edge of the wing...packing tape pulled the larger crack back together...
Given that the back part of the brand-new fuselage is just glued to the front, not one continuous piece, I don't think a repaired foam plane would be a problem at all.

Get yourself some water-based Gorilla Glue, dampen both foam surfaces, apply a thin thin veneer of the glue, then clamp with packing tape. Remove the tape the next morning & I bet that wing will be as good as new!
Old Nov 07, 2008, 01:33 PM
Mis-guided heli guy
Austin, TX USA
Joined Mar 2007
1,470 Posts
How many watts are you guys hitting during full throttle climb-out?
I have a couple 3S910 TP (67gram) packs that are only rated 10C - I would hate to puff these little guys..

---
Edit: Nevermind - I found the graph on page 13 that shows 15-16 amps. A little much for a 10C 910 pack. oh well.
Jeff_edge540 is offline Find More Posts by Jeff_edge540
Old Nov 07, 2008, 05:21 PM
Illinois
Joined Jan 2005
1,720 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff_edge540
How many watts are you guys hitting during full throttle climb-out?
I have a couple 3S910 TP (67gram) packs that are only rated 10C - I would hate to puff these little guys..

---
Edit: Nevermind - I found the graph on page 13 that shows 15-16 amps. A little much for a 10C 910 pack. oh well.
It would climb at half power.....

David
dribbe is offline Find More Posts by dribbe
Site Sponsor
Old Nov 07, 2008, 06:03 PM
Kings Park, New York
Joined Jan 2005
1,255 Posts
Thanks chipdrone.

Where do you fly in Austin. I travel there often on business. GREAT town!
Ken
kenmalecki is offline Find More Posts by kenmalecki
Old Nov 07, 2008, 10:39 PM
the flying fool
canal fulton,oh
Joined Dec 2006
156 Posts
hello everyone , just wanted to say i was really skeptical about this sailplane because i love all my park flyers, but after reading all your posts and the good price i decided to give this bird a try.. now with 4 flights under my belt i have to say this is my new favorite plane. it was so nice to go out and fly for an hour on one battery. i'm hoping this thing can handle alittle more wind than my t-28 and i can fly thru winter.my quesyion is what kind of wind can this thing handle? i was alittle worried with just a rudder it wouldn't have the authority to turn in windy conditions {A.K.A super cub} supposed to get up to 10-12 mph tomorrow and would love to get it out there
crash1414 is offline Find More Posts by crash1414
Old Nov 08, 2008, 06:21 AM
Slow Flyer
sterling, Illinois
Joined Feb 2006
1,060 Posts
Flew in exactly those conditions the other day, winds were near 15 MPH or more but settled to just over 10 MPH at times so took her up, wasn't too concerned as it handles anything below that with ease, without even adding ballast it was an easy ride simply stay pointed into the wind with the slightest downtrim, at half throttle take your time and she will make altitude for you, careful don't let her turn on release, simply give slight down stick to keep the nose from rising on you, was cold and only flew 20 minutes but was enjoyable, on the landing come in abit closer I ventured too far at the edge of a sizeable field and was too low but came in just fine, had a walk to the Radian, here's were more fun began, upon lifting the sailplane I had to turn backwards as so much wind, strong breezes wanted to take it away from my grip, it was rather funnie, patience walked her back holding on with two hands and grinning, gads easy to fly in winds but a trial to simply walk her back across the field...was great...no biggie long as your use to flying other planes in windy conditions...<>..Best

Pssst always keep things upwind during the flight, sure your aware but is extremely important flying in higher winds, you don't want to fight trying to bring her back by going too far downwind, I lost altitude for the landing mostly infront of me only to venture to the far edge of the field just before landing, but I was too low to come back in, so turn her a little earlier than less windy days...
wnppmy is offline Find More Posts by wnppmy
Last edited by wnppmy; Nov 08, 2008 at 06:29 AM.
Old Nov 08, 2008, 10:30 AM
Austin, TX
Joined Oct 2008
30 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by kenmalecki
Where do you fly in Austin. I travel there often on business. GREAT town!
Hi Ken. This website lists local sites around Austin. But so far I've only flown at parks not listed on that site.

I've flown in a very large open field on the north end of Old Settler's Park in Round Rock, TX which you can find through Google Maps. Close to my house in NW Austin there is a middle school and a neighborhood park that both have large open spaces to fly in if there aren't little soccer or lacrosse gremlins roaming about.