HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Nov 03, 2008, 06:35 AM
Horizon Hobby Employee
Mahomet, Illinois
Joined Aug 2007
2,297 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by boiko
Thanks alot David....that is really good info for all of us to know. So during testing, you guy's did see a significant difference in cg/battery size-weight... I will look into a 1300/1250 battery..

I did look through the RTF version of the manual, but didn't see any reference to information about routing the AR500 antenna.

-mike-
Mike,

Sorry about that--I thought there was a photo of under the battery hatch in the RTF manual. Guess I was wrong.

Check out this photo from the gallery on the product page on HH.com. It shows how we route the antenna forward, wrap it around, and tape it oriented sideways on the back ledge of the hatch opening. You want the short antenna oriented perpendicular to the end of the long antenna.

Regarding battery weight, yes, we did see a noticeable difference. With the heavier battery, the airplane was super-stable because of the forward cg, but the ability to catch light lift was significantly impacted. You really don't need that much capacity for this airplane. All you do is run the motor in 20- to 30-second bursts to climb to altitude, and with the 1300 battery, you can do this over 20 times on one flight. If you get any lift at all you'll easily have 30-minute flight times or more.
Dave Eichstedt is offline Find More Posts by Dave Eichstedt
Site Sponsor
to remove ads between posts
Old Nov 03, 2008, 07:50 AM
dmt
near Gangneung, Korea
Joined Jul 2004
688 Posts
Oops -- double post
dmt is offline Find More Posts by dmt
Last edited by dmt; Nov 03, 2008 at 07:55 AM.
Old Nov 03, 2008, 07:53 AM
dmt
near Gangneung, Korea
Joined Jul 2004
688 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave Eichstedt
"...with the 1300 battery, you can do this over 20 times on one flight"?
Welp, that sounds like way more capability than I need.

Would it be possible (and/or practical) to use NiMh batteries with the Radian? (Maybe a 2/3rds AA pack?)

I do already have a LiPo-capable charger, but I'd rather stick with NiMh if possible.
dmt is offline Find More Posts by dmt
Old Nov 03, 2008, 09:41 AM
Home of A-10 - Farmingdale NY
United States, NH, Londonderry
Joined Dec 2006
936 Posts
Quote:
Mike,

Sorry about that--I thought there was a photo of under the battery hatch in the RTF manual. Guess I was wrong.

Check out this photo from the gallery on the product page on HH.com. It shows how we route the antenna forward, wrap it around, and tape it oriented sideways on the back ledge of the hatch opening. You want the short antenna oriented perpendicular to the end of the long antenna.

Regarding battery weight, yes, we did see a noticeable difference. With the heavier battery, the airplane was super-stable because of the forward cg, but the ability to catch light lift was significantly impacted. You really don't need that much capacity for this airplane. All you do is run the motor in 20- to 30-second bursts to climb to altitude, and with the 1300 battery, you can do this over 20 times on one flight. If you get any lift at all you'll easily have 30-minute flight times or more.
Nice routing of the antenna...

It looks like as people begin to experiment with the Radian, battery type/size/weight/placement will be one of the interesting variables..people experiment with most.

I have the Loong Max (well..really Zippy) 2200 3S - so because of the sensitivity to battery weight, it looks like I'll be researching battery types and sizes/weights quite a bit on this plane.

Thanks,
-mike-
boiko is offline Find More Posts by boiko
Old Nov 03, 2008, 06:42 PM
Home of A-10 - Farmingdale NY
United States, NH, Londonderry
Joined Dec 2006
936 Posts
Quote:
I'll let others answer some of these.

Check out the RTF instruction manual for the AR500 antenna routing.

The cg will move forward with a larger battery, and thermal performance will suffer. We test flew with ParkZone 1800, 2200, and the new 1300 pack, and there is a significant difference with the heavier batteries, both due to weight and cg. If that 2200 is all you have, it will fit and will get you flying, but for better performance I suggest you track down a 1300 or 1250 pack.

David Eichstedt
Horizon
David,

What are the specs (weight) on the new 1300 pack..?

-mike-
boiko is offline Find More Posts by boiko
Old Nov 03, 2008, 10:15 PM
Joined Sep 2008
85 Posts
cog with 1300 battery tucked into the preformed slot

I purchased the rtf radian. When I tucked the battery into the prepared slot and strapped it with the velcro, it seems as if the cog is far back. With the battery forward, it is not well strapped in. Am I missing something?
Thanks for your help!
John R. is offline Find More Posts by John R.
Old Nov 03, 2008, 11:57 PM
Wind Rider
United States, CO
Joined Dec 2006
986 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by ww8s
I can honestly say that I could not be happier with this sailplane. I was a bit worried about the wing attachment, but after I fit them into the fuselage they are quite snug, no more worries. I like the stock elevator travel, (outer hole in horn), I may put in a bit more rudder travel than stock, but need to fly it more.

Here is a graph of my 1st flight. Starting about minute 3 I launched. I touched down around minute 26, so 23 minutes on just 4 motor runs. I donít think you need to buy a second battery for this bird. I brought it down in a steep glide after my neck was sore, I didnít have my sunglasses or hat & no chair to sit on. What was I thinking , I guess I didnít imagine that I could find thermals and soar this easily. I thought the manual was joking when it said you could fly for hours, Iím a believer now.

This is my first ever flight with a sailplane, I thought it would be really difficult to find a thermal. Maybe itís just beginners luck and an exceptional day, but lift was easy to find. Although I did run into some serious sink occasionally that was equally impressive. Twice I got nervous because it was getting higher than anything Iíve ever flown before and I spun it down. I wish now I put my GPS in with the eLogger so I could have recorded the altitude. How high is it when at arms length its about an inch big? I did have some buzzards that helped guide me at first but then they disappeared and I didn't need their aid after that.

The RTF is a real good deal. I already have a charger and the Tx but figure I can sell those two and be ahead of the game.

My realworld AUW is 26.5 oz with the RTF provided battery.

I launched at full power and it climbs like a homesick angel. Be prepared to put some down elevator in to keep it from looping. I wish it had a little more down thrust built in, but I doubt that I will modify anything. It will maintain altitude at anything over ľ throttle. Landing took me a few go arounds to get it setup properly. I normally dive my park flyers into a small space into the back yard. That doesnít work for this guy, it holds speed really well.

The DX5 has a trainer switch and a trainer port. I looks like itís all setup to be a buddy box master or slave.

The decals are just stickon and they will peel off with out too much trouble. Iíve reused the fuselage decals on my Typhoon several times. (Donít ask ) So, to smooth out the bubbles and wrinkles you can peel them back and restick them. Donít expect another model to be much better.

Parkzone has another winner here.
Dave
Thanks for a great flight review - my interest is way up on this plane!

Best Wishes,
Mike
eagleswings is offline Find More Posts by eagleswings
Old Nov 04, 2008, 02:18 PM
Austin, TX
Joined Oct 2008
30 Posts
Ecstatic new Radian owner

As I mentioned in my earlier post here, I pre-ordered the Radian RTF in mid-October & was pretty excited about receiving it. It arrived last week when I was out of town, so I just took it out for a maiden flight after work yesterday, then for a much longer flight this morning.

This plane is absolutely amazing. Maybe all gliders float like this lovely bird - but I've never been a glider pilot & I'm nuts about my new Radian. A twitch of the throttle and the plane leaps into the sky - it's almost out of sight in mere seconds. Then kill the throttle and you glide around for easily 10 minutes or more without needing to find a thermal. Down for a practice belly landing, or just kick in a tiny amount of throttle and fly it around the field maybe 10ft off the ground for a little bit before sending it skyward again.

A buddy of mine with a 3-D foam plane shot a few stills and some video this morning. The video is about 2 minutes long and covers the launch, a little in-flight, and a belly landing. The quality is only so-so since we just used my little Canon digital camera in video mode.

VIDEO: My ParkZone Radian over Austin, TX

Without finding any thermals I flew the plane through at least ten climbs to altitude and then glided around for a total flight time of about 1h20m. Had to get to work, but there was no noticeable dropoff in power even at the end.

The Radian is good-looking in the air, responsive, and well balanced. A minor point, but I love the magnetic catches on the canopy and underneath in the receiver/servo area - no plastic clips/tabs to snap off eventually.

This RTF kit provided everything I wanted - not just the plane, but a new 5ch Spektrum DSM2 transmitter/receiver (no more crystals & accidental shoot-downs - yippee!), a peppy brushless motor and speed controller, the perfect capacity LiPo battery, and a 3-cell balancing charger. Goodness gracious the parts & servos cost almost as much as the entire package price, so the plane is practically a freebie.

K u d o s to ParkZone / Horizon for putting together such a great kit. I'm one happy camper.
chipdrone is offline Find More Posts by chipdrone
Last edited by chipdrone; Nov 04, 2008 at 02:25 PM.
Old Nov 04, 2008, 02:27 PM
Life is Good!
Germany
Joined Apr 2005
1,200 Posts
Chip,
Nice write-up. Looks like a winner!
Tank52 is online now Find More Posts by Tank52
Old Nov 04, 2008, 03:07 PM
Joined Sep 2008
85 Posts
chipdrone cog setup

Could you give me a hand with where you placed the battery. I have had only one attempt and with the battery placement back where the battery strap was it appeared the cog was way to the tail. I was afraid to move it to almost over the esc. How was yours set up? Thanks
Old Nov 04, 2008, 03:21 PM
Still AWD, Subaru
St.Louis
Joined Nov 2006
884 Posts
Chipdrone, great review and vid it looks really graceful in the air. Now I must decide, race tires or radian....hrmmm
ShawnM4kq is offline Find More Posts by ShawnM4kq
Old Nov 04, 2008, 03:26 PM
Austin, TX
Joined Oct 2008
30 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by John R.
Could you give me a hand with where you placed the battery. I have had only one attempt and with the battery placement back where the battery strap was it appeared the cog was way to the tail.
Having been out of the game (R/C flying) for a few years, I didn't even remember to check the weight or COG. I just pushed the battery into the canopy compartment (which puts it just under the wing LE) and used the included battery strap.

I'll check weight & COG when I get home from work, then modify this post with the details.

[EDIT: "The Details"

Total weight including battery = 738g, or 26oz exactly

Measured on my 2kg-capacity digital postal scale which reads accurately in grams or 0.1 oz.

Next I measured the pieces separately on my small digital scale which is supposed to be accurate to 0.1g.

Fuse (no battery, but everything else installed) = 396.9g (14.00oz)
R Wing = 102.0g (3.60oz)
L Wing = 99.7g (3.52oz)
Wing Spar = 36.4g (1.28oz)
Battery = 99.1g (3.50oz)

Total of separate parts = 734.1g or 25.9oz

I used the eraser end of two #2 pencils to balance the model with battery installed. That's with the battery insterted into the aft part of the compartment, sticking out about 1 inch & velcro'd in place. The COG was almost exactly 2.5" back from the LE of the wings.

Here's what the compartment looks like:
Battery Compartment Image #1
Battery Compartment Image #2
Last edited by chipdrone; Nov 04, 2008 at 06:31 PM.
Old Nov 04, 2008, 04:59 PM
Joined Sep 2008
85 Posts
chipdrone, cog

Thank you for following through, I am looking forward to see how far you pushed the battery into the slot.
Old Nov 04, 2008, 09:41 PM
Joined Sep 2008
85 Posts
cog

In order for the cog to be 2.5 from the LE my battery needs to be completely forward of the slot. I guess I will to add weight as close to the motor as possible. Great pictures. Thank You for your help
Old Nov 04, 2008, 10:04 PM
Austin, TX
Joined Oct 2008
30 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by John R.
In order for the cog to be 2.5 from the LE my battery needs to be completely forward of the slot. I guess I will to add weight as close to the motor as possible.
Seems odd to me that a mass-produced plane could have such a large variation. Your plane must be much heavier in the tail, but I wonder why?

I was a little surprised that my plane weighs just 26oz versus the advertised 30oz weight on the Horizon Hobby site. That's 13% lighter than spec, and, yes, I'm sure I included my battery

If you have a digital scale, maybe you could weigh your separate components like I did & compare them to my measurements.