HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Jun 20, 2009, 07:51 AM
Lexington, NE
Joined Dec 2001
124 Posts
What a great time I had yesterday. It was not windy here in Nebraska, which is unusual and I took the Radian out for some flights. I have changed the prop to a 11x8 and it draws 5 more amps than the old one. I found that it climbs a little better and needs more down to counter the tendency to loop. Flew for 45 min with some lift. what a great plane. So fun to fly and quick to build I guess this kind of spoils me for building. I have a plane on the bench that has taken over a year and still haven't finished the wing. Love the Radian. I put black tape on the bottom of the wings so I can see it better and for orientation. I really like the looks of it. It also repairs easily if you dumb thumb it.

Have a great day!

Mike
Mike 52732 is offline Find More Posts by Mike 52732
to remove ads between posts
Old Jun 20, 2009, 10:10 AM
Proud member of LISF and ESL
LI, New York, USA
Joined Mar 2003
24,552 Posts
I assume you checked to make sure that you are still within the specs of hte motor, the battery and the ESC. 5 amps is a lot.

Frankly I never thought the plane needed any more climb than it already had, at least with the RTF package.
aeajr is offline Find More Posts by aeajr
Old Jun 20, 2009, 07:48 PM
Newbury Park, California
Joined Apr 2002
651 Posts
I Know Why The Props Break!

We are nicking the trailing edges of the blades. They then split and break.

This can only happen when the blades are 'backed-up' against their normal direction of rotation. The trailing edges of the blades can then catch on a rough screw head, the edge of the canopy or the LH cooling scoop. The blades catch only on the left side of the nose due to the right-thrust offset of the motor.

This backing-up and subsequent damage can happen during landing or handling. I fold my Radian's blades and secure them with a rubber band; I nicked a blade while doing this. I found nicks from the edge of the LH cooling scoop, a burred firewall screw and where the front of the canopy rises above the fuselage. I realize there may be other causes for breakage but I am sure this is the main one.

NOTE:
Any nick can and probably will result in loss of a blade. So --- inspect your trailing edges and replace any blades that are damaged. I am now checking mine before every flight.

It'll be interesting to see what Parkzone does about this ---.

Joe

BTW: If you wish to fit Graupner or Aeronaut blades, use 11x6 blades instead of 10x7 or 8s. The 11x6 will deliver a higher climb rate while not overloading the motor. An 11x6 produces about 40oz of thrust for 22A while the 10x8 makes 32 for 20+A. This motor can handle 30+A for the amount of time we use it to launch our Radians.
Joe Minton is offline Find More Posts by Joe Minton
Old Jun 21, 2009, 11:44 PM
Joined Jun 2009
39 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by shockflyyer3d
my freind is a beginer in rc and i was wondering is the park zone raidian was a great trainer or not.
This is a response to an old post, but I took my dad flying yesterday for his first time. I used the DX5e that came with the Radian as the slave and my DX6i as the master so we could buddy box.

The Radian was really good for him to learn on because of its docile handling (on the rudder anyway - the elevators are NUTS). He got out of control a few times but after an hour he was ready to go solo on my other learner plane, a Mini Super Cub.

Oddly enough, he liked the Super Cub better because it has faster responses. His complaint was that the Radian appeared to lag in response to rudder input, which made him feed in more input and then get into spiral dive situations. With the Super cub, if you feed in some rudder it responds immediately and he liked that better.

To be fair to the Radian, response lag for planes with big dihedral wings is just another skill you need to learn. And its ability to fly without any pilot input I believe is a big bonus for anyone very nervous about flying, because the ability to take a mental break whilst in the air and center yourself is an excellent way to not get discouraged.
Kaldek is offline Find More Posts by Kaldek
Old Jun 22, 2009, 12:20 AM
Is getting old...
Canada, Saskatchewan, Saskatoon
Joined Jan 2008
1,192 Posts
I plan on buddyboxing my dad on the t-28 in the near future! I just need a dx6i
quadracer111 is offline Find More Posts by quadracer111
Old Jun 22, 2009, 09:51 AM
Crashasaurus Dumbthumus
USA, MN, Apple Valley
Joined Dec 2008
1,510 Posts
Good info Joe. I just received a message from a flying buddy who said his Radian prop broke in mid-flight and he crashed his bird (repairable). I'll pass this info along. I'll be checking mine before every flight. Looks like I'll be ordering a new prop setup.
road_rascal is offline Find More Posts by road_rascal
Old Jun 23, 2009, 08:49 AM
Chuck 'Em and Chase 'Em
United States, NY, Plainview
Joined Aug 2005
8,120 Posts
What size is the stock motor's shaft?

What size folding prop to use?

What size hub on the spinner?
Fly2High is offline Find More Posts by Fly2High
Old Jun 23, 2009, 09:15 AM
Not your average DiggsyBear
Raleigh, NC
Joined Dec 2006
8,859 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fly2High
What size is the stock motor's shaft?

What size folding prop to use?

What size hub on the spinner?
Check this thread out for a lot of good info about what you are asking.

http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1017613

Diggs
Diggs is offline Find More Posts by Diggs
Old Jun 23, 2009, 04:00 PM
Sailplane
Tampa, Fl
Joined Jan 2006
71 Posts
Esprit's answer to BB spinner orders

Here's the answer I received:

"Hello Ernest,

Thanks for the email.

Unfortunately we do not backorder items.

This is why the website will not allow you to add any out-of-stock items to your shopping cart.

Due to their delivery schedule, it may be many many months before those BB spinners will be back.

Please let me know if you have any other questions or if I can help with anything else.

Thanks,

David

1240 Clearmont St. NE #12
Palm Bay, FL, 32905, USA
Phone1: (1) 321-729-4287
Phone2: (1) 321-725-3208
Fax: (1) 321-725-8920
E-Mail: david@espritmodel.com"
Old Jun 24, 2009, 04:11 PM
Foam does it all
United States, OH, Mahoning
Joined Nov 2002
215 Posts
Too bad

It is really sad one problem with the Radian can bring this thread to a halt. Some of us are grounded with prop problems (waiting for replacement) but others should be flying and enjoying the Radian. Any new owners with stories to tell? Just be careful to stay away from the prop on takeoff and enjoy the plane.
Phil
Low&Slow is offline Find More Posts by Low&Slow
Old Jun 24, 2009, 04:47 PM
Work....fly, repeat...
Fredericksburg, Virginia
Joined Jul 2008
1,658 Posts
I really enjoy mine. I fly almost every day at a park on the way into work. Lots of old folks do their morning walk there. I used to fly my Stryker out there and the old retired military guys loved it. Had a faithful audience. Have not seen any of them recently but it always gets the attention of the cute joggers and dog walkers. Most stop to check it out and ask questions. Really had a crowd when I added my Sony Webbie to the wing and hooked up FPV gear so they could watch the flight from the ground. All were amazed at that. The extra weight made climbs harder and fly with throttle most of the time but it was a lot of fun.

Mostly just fun flights with a 1050mah battery in it. I move it as far forward as I can for CG though. I have not had any prop issues. Even when it slammed nose first into the hard sand at the beach at full throttle, the props were fine. Cone was crushed but props were fine.

Luv my Radian!
AeroRecon is offline Find More Posts by AeroRecon
Old Jun 24, 2009, 04:55 PM
Bloomington, IL (Hell's Cornfield)
Joined Dec 2001
1,096 Posts
I probably have about 30 launches and recoveries on my Radian now. I usually don't land until I'm done flying.

No prop problems. I protect my prop from unnecessary stresses by folding it back against the fuse and securing it at the tips with a thin rubber band. I take it off when removing the hatch to connect the battery, and the reverse when I'm done flying.
theKAT is offline Find More Posts by theKAT
Old Jun 24, 2009, 06:17 PM
...the wind usually blows
Carbon Creek
Joined Jan 2004
1,564 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Low&Slow
It is really sad one problem with the Radian can bring this thread to a halt...
I agree.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Low&Slow
... Just be careful to stay away from the prop on takeoff and enjoy the plane.
Phil
That was my plan too, but after the second prop blade broke and tore up the nose for the second time, it became no fun anymore. I always took care of my blades too. I used one rubber band to hold them in place when not flying and slid it back over the canopy to hold it in place during flight. At least I never lost a canopy.
av8r is offline Find More Posts by av8r
Old Jun 24, 2009, 06:44 PM
Rockford IL U.S.A.
Joined Sep 2000
155 Posts
We had some great fun today with our Radiant's, I put a flycam one on the bottom of the wing and did some video with it of 2 other Radiants flying below me, It was a blast!

The flycam one has a pretty tight lens when shooting straight down which is what I was doing, I had to get pretty high to get the others in the shot but we did get them in there (at times).

Have a little more experimenting to do to get it better along with communicating with the other guys who are flying to get some good video but we will get it.

I will post some pics of how I have it on the plane for anyone who is interested. Low cost in both the flycam one and Radiant and a Whole lot of fun, I bring the laptop to the field and we can down load and see it right there at the field.

The new CAM prop works great, didnt have any trouble with the stock one but was not going to take a chance and let it tear the plane up.
jonesjj is offline Find More Posts by jonesjj
Old Jun 24, 2009, 08:10 PM
Home of A-10 - Farmingdale NY
United States, NH, Londonderry
Joined Dec 2006
936 Posts
Replacement Blades: 6mm vs 8mm yoke/shoulder

I've switched over to a Graupner 10x8 6mm replacement blade(s)..other people are talking about instead using blades with an 8mm yoke/shoulder. If you stay with the stock spinner..wouldn't 8mm blades have a problem folding around the fuselage?

Haven't people posted pictures of 8mm blades not folding well..?

Thanks,
-mike-
boiko is online now Find More Posts by boiko