HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Sep 11, 2008, 10:26 AM
It was a GLITCH! Honestly!
Stourport on Severn ,Worcestershire, United Kingdom
Joined Dec 2007
4,808 Posts
Discussion
My PT 25 in the cold!..BRRRRRRR!!!!

Not one to be biased to any particular Gyro I decided to purchase the PT 25 kit a few months back. This was purchased through Mike at Aerobalsa of which it arrived in good time for a reasonable price
My mission is to build, fly and teach my father to fly Autogyros with this PT25.
Since I have been messing with Gyros I have never seen a full build log up to maiden flight video, though there have probably been hundreds!!
For the hardened builder there is nothing like opening a kit box for the first time..very exciting!!!...I have these the same feelings when I opened the PT box...lots of cnc cut balsa and bags of goodies plus a full set of Aerobalsa blades!!
So here I go......here is a photo of what is in my kit!!!
I have an OS 25 FX spare and luckily for me this is the recommended engine for this Gyro.....watch this space!!

Regards Rich
SafeLandings is offline Find More Posts by SafeLandings
Last edited by SafeLandings; Dec 03, 2010 at 12:38 PM.
to remove ads between posts
Old Sep 12, 2008, 05:25 PM
Liverpool, England
Joined Feb 2008
5 Posts
Blimey....this is spooky..I was thinking of putting a build log of my PT25 on here too...had mine since march and started it a couple of days ago!!...I've been taking photos since I opened the box

Been the first time I've had the time to build anything other than ARTF planes and Heli kits in a few years...but hopefully I havent forgotten how to build

Nice thread Rich
Boelen is offline Find More Posts by Boelen
Old Sep 12, 2008, 08:14 PM
AND FOR MY NEXT TRICK....!
Omaha Millard, Nebraska, United States
Joined Sep 2004
4,059 Posts
I think Boelen and Rich should have a "building match"!
jodini is offline Find More Posts by jodini
Old Sep 13, 2008, 03:15 PM
Liverpool, England
Joined Feb 2008
5 Posts
I think Rich would win hands down, I'll be building it as and when I can grab some time....I'll get there in the end though
Boelen is offline Find More Posts by Boelen
Old Oct 10, 2008, 12:30 PM
Joined Dec 2007
4,808 Posts
Well after being diverted to 'repairing' I finally managed to make a start on the PT last night what can I say!!this thing justs slots together..I have made the basic Fuselage sides and the main formers are in. I have used pva a glue so if you do use CA without a doubt you could knock the Fuz up complete in a few hours....heres a few pics, More to come

Rich
Old Oct 10, 2008, 05:08 PM
autogyro andy
South UK
Joined Feb 2007
723 Posts
Looking good Rich
HandyAndy is offline Find More Posts by HandyAndy
Old Oct 18, 2008, 06:09 AM
lover of gyros
Netherlands
Joined Oct 2008
35 Posts
Hi, I'm building one too. I will watch you as it is my first project. I have ordered 2 sets of spare blades, 2 gimbal kits, a head rotor kit, 2 hinges, 2 bearings and a control arm set.

Mine will be fitted with a .32 OS engine and a Futaba 7C 2,4 GHz radio set. My blades and fuselage were damaged during transport, the box was opened by US customs I think because there were bags inside taped with US Postal tape and there are no hinges for the rudder in the box, I think they are supposed to be there but not entirely sure about that one.

Good luck with the build.

(I used to be known as autogyrofreak but somehow I messed up my account (wrong e-mail adresss) a couple of months ago, now I'm restarting the hobby)
gyrolover is offline Find More Posts by gyrolover
Old Oct 18, 2008, 07:42 AM
Joined Dec 2007
4,808 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by gyrolover
Hi, I'm building one too. I will watch you as it is my first project. I have ordered 2 sets of spare blades, 2 gimbal kits, a head rotor kit, 2 hinges, 2 bearings and a control arm set.

Mine will be fitted with a .32 OS engine and a Futaba 7C 2,4 GHz radio set. My blades and fuselage were damaged during transport, the box was opened by US customs I think because there were bags inside taped with US Postal tape and there are no hinges for the rudder in the box, I think they are supposed to be there but not entirely sure about that one.

Good luck with the build.

(I used to be known as autogyrofreak but somehow I messed up my account (wrong e-mail adresss) a couple of months ago, now I'm restarting the hobby)
Thanks Gyrolover,
Sorry to hear about the damage...mine had the flange bearings missing for the head but Im sure I will be able to source some from somewhere ...I think they have a 1/8" ID accourding to the website.
How about some photos of your build? perhaps 2 being built may get some interest on this build log?

Rich
Old Oct 18, 2008, 02:03 PM
lover of gyros
Netherlands
Joined Oct 2008
35 Posts
Hi Rich,

I will post pics tomorrow. If you haven't made the gimbal assembly you might consider the following:

The holes in the hinges should be drilled to size and the hinges should be cut to fit. I did so and discovered the holes did not line up perfectly when fitted in the wooden parts. I had to redrill them and ended up with some oval holes. (That's why I ordered 2 gimbal spares, one to replace the original and a "real" spare).

Next time I will drill one hole on each side of one of the hinges and only one hole in the other, than I will mount them in the wooden parts and drill the other holes. I think the misalignment (and "ovalness", is this a real word? , of the holes) will be reduced to the minimum that way.

I will measure the diameter of the rotorshaft for you tomorrow. I think it is 3mm, sorry no imperial size knowledge here.
Last edited by gyrolover; Oct 18, 2008 at 02:12 PM.
Old Oct 18, 2008, 11:42 PM
Bedford Indiana
Joined May 2004
242 Posts
I believe the rotor shaft is a "tight" 1/8" and may have to be hit with emery paper to make the bearing slide on easily.

Chuck
...somewhere in Indiana...
Forensic Flyer is offline Find More Posts by Forensic Flyer
Old Oct 19, 2008, 03:38 AM
lover of gyros
Netherlands
Joined Oct 2008
35 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Forensic Flyer
I believe the rotor shaft is a "tight" 1/8" and may have to be hit with emery paper to make the bearing slide on easily.

Chuck
...somewhere in Indiana...
There is a remark in the instruction book about emery cloth but the shaft provided with the kit has been made to fit.
Old Oct 20, 2008, 12:02 PM
lover of gyros
Netherlands
Joined Oct 2008
35 Posts
Hi,
A bit later than promised but the pics were on my old PC so I took some new ones.

HS glued, to be sanded.

Pylon, sides and shims glued.

Gimbal (to be replaced to be sure)

I have made some nuts (4 pcs) to glue under the plywood were the pylon hatch goes. I donít like the idea of cutting structural thread into wood so I made these. The missing one in the pic was already glued in.

Here the nuts are glued in. You can see the nuts shining under the plywood. Just so I can go to sleep more easy

This is the almost finished fuselage, have to drill the holes in the torque blocks to hold the wire frame landing gear.
Old Oct 22, 2008, 12:35 PM
Joined Nov 2004
272 Posts
Hi Rich,

We just noticed your post about the missing bearings.
When you get time, email us to confirm your shipping address and the bearings will be on the way.

Sorry for the inconvenience.

The FlyingBalsa Team
PT Gyro is offline Find More Posts by PT Gyro
Old Oct 22, 2008, 01:17 PM
lover of gyros
Netherlands
Joined Oct 2008
35 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by PT Gyro
Hi Rich,

We just noticed your post about the missing bearings.
When you get time, email us to confirm your shipping address and the bearings will be on the way.

Sorry for the inconvenience.

The FlyingBalsa Team
Why are you ignoring my complaints about missing parts? What did I do wrong? I have told you when I ordered spare parts and I even mailed you about it. I think this is really unbelievable.
Old Oct 22, 2008, 03:12 PM
Joined Nov 2004
272 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by gyrolover
Why are you ignoring my complaints about missing parts? What did I do wrong? I have told you when I ordered spare parts and I even mailed you about it. I think this is really unbelievable.
Hi Leo,

I have just reviewed the last 300 emails in our inbasket.
There were NO emails from you about any missing parts.
The only email from you is for the spare parts that you ordered.
Your parts were shipped over a week ago.

If you are missing parts, we will be more than happy to provide them
to you.

John
PT Gyro is offline Find More Posts by PT Gyro
Last edited by PT Gyro; Oct 22, 2008 at 03:17 PM.