Espritmodel.com Telemetry Radio
Old Jan 30, 2012, 07:01 AM
Crewe England
Joined Nov 2005
142 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lockey View Post
Thanks D66 and Acecall for sharing your wealth of experiences, I too am getting older (68 this year) and my reactions and coordinationís are not what they used to be AND on top of that I have had about a 25 year gap in flying

They say its like riding a bike (you never forget how) and I guess it is to a certain extent BUT itís the self confidence that isnít the same as it was.

What one guy thinks is an easy plane to fly, another might think its not so easy and so on, as you have said its all down to experience.

I can honestly say that the Polaris has given me a lot more confidence in myself and I can now fly with less nervousness that I did a few months ago.

Lockey
Model flying is full of uncertainty. In the back of our minds we know things can go wrong very quickly and if it does then we have to face, in most cases, complete destruction of something we have lavished time, money and love on, but this is one reason we choose to fly aeroplanes rather than sail model boats or run model trains round a predictable track. We get something from the risks we take and get a buzz should we triumph over the challenge. So you crash, we all do and we all will...so what? Its only anther model.
acecall is offline Find More Posts by acecall
to remove ads between posts
Old Jan 30, 2012, 07:20 AM
Crewe England
Joined Nov 2005
142 Posts
I have a flight simulator, a very good one, the models fly as if they were real, infact everything except the risk is so real. A after a few sessions I got bored with it, it has been stuffed in a draw for about two years. This says it all for me.
acecall is offline Find More Posts by acecall
Old Jan 30, 2012, 07:29 AM
59 years of RC flying
Canada, ON, Ottawa
Joined Feb 2006
16,128 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by acecall View Post
I have a flight simulator, a very good one, the models fly as if they were real, infact everything except the risk is so real. A after a few sessions I got bored with it, it has been stuffed in a draw for about two years. This says it all for me.
That's a very good point. The only way a simulator can hold my attention for long is if I set myself a tough and specific challenge and stick to it (like doing the IMAC aerobatic sequence in order to prepare for real competition, which is what I'm planning for this year). And I have to force myself to care about crashing. It's all about whether what you are doing matters to you. If it does, the enjoyment is endless, but if there are no consequences, it's just another video game, where everything is restored at the push of a button.
Daedalus66 is online now Find More Posts by Daedalus66
Old Jan 30, 2012, 08:03 AM
Home of "Golf Cart Flying"
Griffin GA
Joined Aug 2008
8,256 Posts
Quote:
They are all bog standard builds except that I stuck a bubble canopy on this Polaris battery hatch.

Attachment 4590000
Love the scheme on the Polaris Sir. You stole my thunder on the canopy, I'm carving one even as we speak.
Nice to see peeps thinkin out of the Box (fuselage)
pecanpatch is online now Find More Posts by pecanpatch
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Help me win.
Old Jan 30, 2012, 08:45 AM
United Kingdom, England, Lincoln
Joined Jun 2011
710 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fred Dings, II View Post
Send me an address and I will send you one. I buy from Model Aero, but I have an extra. I only will need one.

FRED
Thanks for the very kind and generous offer Fred but as Pat said, the shipping to the UK may end up costing a lot.

I now have a couple of places to try thanks to acecall.

Thanks again for the offer though Fred!
Alex.
abroadhurst94 is offline Find More Posts by abroadhurst94
Old Jan 30, 2012, 08:50 AM
Griffin GA
Joined Aug 2008
8,256 Posts
I'm really getting close now....
I just need to cut hatch, add front cooling vent (rear - check)
paint and trim...
Instead of 9 pieces of depron and 9 glue joints on the nose block I just hollowed out a soft balsa block on the nose with 1 glue joint.
RCG Plus Member
Last edited by pecanpatch; Jan 30, 2012 at 09:25 AM.
Old Jan 30, 2012, 09:48 AM
Tony Audsley Retired Locksmith
Australia, WA, Perth
Joined Sep 2011
2,721 Posts
Nice looking model pecanpatch

Lockey
Lockey is offline Find More Posts by Lockey
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Latest Builds
Old Jan 30, 2012, 10:15 AM
Griffin GA
Joined Aug 2008
8,256 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lockey View Post
Nice looking model pecanpatch

Lockey
Thank you sir, Kind of lost my momentum this morning...
Clear blue skies, dead calm wind , 50į
and I live at the airport!
RCG Plus Member
Old Jan 30, 2012, 10:57 AM
USA, GA, Marietta
Joined Aug 2005
5,595 Posts
Do I get anything for bringing this thread to 1000 pages?

edit: Well I guess I jumped the gun.

Glen
ggcrandall1 is offline Find More Posts by ggcrandall1
Old Jan 30, 2012, 11:04 AM
Griffin GA
Joined Aug 2008
8,256 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by ggcrandall1 View Post
Do I get anything for bringing this thread to 1000 pages?

edit: Well I guess I jumped the gun.

Glen
Glen, you taking a Polaris to SEFF?
RCG Plus Member
Old Jan 30, 2012, 11:26 AM
USA, GA, Marietta
Joined Aug 2005
5,595 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by pecanpatch View Post
Glen, you taking a Polaris to SEFF?
I hadn't thought about it. Polaris kit is on the truck for delivery today. I've been to SEFF a couple of times but not as a pilot. I may have to give that some thought.

Do you go for one day or the whole show?

Glen
ggcrandall1 is offline Find More Posts by ggcrandall1
Old Jan 30, 2012, 11:37 AM
59 years of RC flying
Canada, ON, Ottawa
Joined Feb 2006
16,128 Posts
Quote:
Model flying is full of uncertainty. In the back of our minds we know things can go wrong very quickly and if it does then we have to face, in most cases, complete destruction of something we have lavished time, money and love on, but this is one reason we choose to fly aeroplanes rather than sail model boats or run model trains round a predictable track. We get something from the risks we take and get a buzz should we triumph over the challenge. So you crash, we all do and we all will...so what? Its only anther model.
One of the great satisfactions in an activity like this is that you know the very survival of your model depends on your skill and attention. That's one reason why I'm never very interested in making models "crash-proof." it generally involves making them heavier and thus detracting from their handling and making them more likely to crash. I like to keep my Polari and other models relatively light and focus on not crashing them!

I'm not saying I want the model fragile. I have my ideas about how to improve the structural integrity. But they don't include things like fiberglassing everything in sight, as is occasionally suggested.
Old Jan 30, 2012, 11:48 AM
59 years of RC flying
Canada, ON, Ottawa
Joined Feb 2006
16,128 Posts
1000 pages, 15,000 posts (soon)

I'll bet Steve never imagined when he started this thread in September 2008 that 3 1/3 years later it would be not only still going but approaching 15,000 posts. It's a real tribute to the model and its faithful following.
Old Jan 30, 2012, 11:52 AM
Joined Oct 2009
1,048 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Daedalus66 View Post
I'll bet Steve never imagined when he started this thread in September 2008 that 3 1/3 years later it would be not only still going but approaching 15,000 posts. It's a real tribute to the model and its faithful following.
Well Glenn just hit the first Thousand pages,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,
Cooooooooooool
Later,
Lenny
lennyboy is offline Find More Posts by lennyboy
Last edited by lennyboy; Jan 30, 2012 at 02:27 PM.
Old Jan 30, 2012, 12:18 PM
Griffin GA
Joined Aug 2008
8,256 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by ggcrandall1 View Post
I hadn't thought about it. Polaris kit is on the truck for delivery today. I've been to SEFF a couple of times but not as a pilot. I may have to give that some thought.

Do you go for one day or the whole show?
Glen
Glen, Hodges put a pond in and everyone is going seaplane crazy! I got from Wednesday to Sunday Morning.
I'm running the paintball shoot twice a day.
RCG Plus Member