HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Jan 29, 2012, 06:48 PM
United Kingdom, England, Lincoln
Joined Jun 2011
710 Posts
To keep this topic back on track, where do you guys buy your APC 6x4 props from? I'm having trouble finding some.
abroadhurst94 is offline Find More Posts by abroadhurst94
to remove ads between posts
Old Jan 29, 2012, 07:11 PM
Planely Addicted
1236 Fremont St. Lancaster, PA 17603-6812
Joined Mar 2005
65 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by abroadhurst94 View Post
To keep this topic back on track, where do you guys buy your APC 6x4 props from? I'm having trouble finding some.
Send me an address and I will send you one. I buy from Model Aero, but I have an extra. I only will need one.

FRED
Fred Dings, II is offline Find More Posts by Fred Dings, II
Old Jan 29, 2012, 07:32 PM
Tony Audsley Retired Locksmith
Australia, WA, Perth
Joined Sep 2011
3,375 Posts
Quote:
While you are designing foamies, Lockey, how about using your fevered imagination to come up with a 3D seaplane that will do a flat, climbing, inverted spin.
Never flown 3D Fred, maybe one day I will Ö so donít know what makes them tick

Lockey
Lockey is offline Find More Posts by Lockey
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Easy Autogyro
Old Jan 29, 2012, 07:42 PM
60 years of RC flying
Canada, ON, Ottawa
Joined Feb 2006
16,954 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Friesen 5 View Post
I recently modified the battery hatch on my Polaris. First I epoxied a 1/32" piece of ply to the bottom front of the hatch. Then I embedded and epoxied a small magnet into the foam at the back of the hatch. On the fuselage I epoxied a small piece of tin cut from the lid of a tin can. Finally I used a piece of tape to act as a pull handle to lift the hatch to replace batteries.

Mervin Friesen
I've recently adopted a similar system. It works very well and I'm retrofitting my fleet. I use a piece of my favorite Scotch Tough Transparent Tape as a hinge at the front, so the hatch doesn't actually fall off and get lost (or, more likely, left at home!).
Daedalus66 is online now Find More Posts by Daedalus66
Old Jan 29, 2012, 07:48 PM
S.E.Michigan
Joined Jul 2010
2,240 Posts
Quote:
where do you guys buy your APC 6x4 props from? I'm having trouble finding some.
abroadhurst

Don't know how close this place is to you... but maybe they ship for reasonable.??

http://www.westlondonmodels.com/product1924/APC--6x4-E/

Quote:
Send me an address and I will send you one.
Thats a very generous and thoughtful offer, but you might find the shipping to the U.K. to be not quite worth it for a $2 prop. I almost posted my favorite supplier link to Headsuprc then I glanced at his screen name info. He is accross the pond.

Cheers.!

pat
wheelspinner20 is offline Find More Posts by wheelspinner20
Last edited by wheelspinner20; Jan 29, 2012 at 07:56 PM.
Old Jan 29, 2012, 07:51 PM
60 years of RC flying
Canada, ON, Ottawa
Joined Feb 2006
16,954 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by acecall View Post
Lockey
On an easy to fly scale of 1 to 10 I would give my Seawind 9 when flying it scale like. It does not sit quite so firmly in the air as Polaris, I find I need to use the pitch and roll controls more particularly in roughish air. Taxiing on water or grass is almost as good as Polaris although stiffish cross winds can be more of a challenge. Take off and landing is a doddle if slightly faster that Polaris. It is no aerobat although it will loop, roll and stall turn authoritively. Inverted flight is a bit scarey. The rate of climb is not like Polaris, loops have to be a bit tighter. It is after all a small scale model of a light aircraft and looks great when flown smoothly a la scale. Based on my experience with my little Greatplanes Seawind, I imagine Kingsflyer's 71" version must be a delight to fly and to watch.
It's interesting how different pilots rate models differently. My friend has both a Seawind and a Polaris and considers the Polaris quite a bit more forgiving. I haven't flown the Seawind myself, but watching him, I see what he means.

I fly the Polaris, the XL and the Mini and say they all fly very similarly, except that they get a bit more gentle as the size increases, but other people find the difference in handling more striking. In fact, the XL turns out to be a very good aileron trainer, while the Polaris 100% and Mini are too quick for some beginning pilots.

What I think this shows is that "ease of handling" is a very subjective thing and ratings depend a lot on the extent and type of experience of the pilot. I suspect Acecall is a pretty good pilot!
Last edited by Daedalus66; Jan 29, 2012 at 08:17 PM.
Old Jan 29, 2012, 08:03 PM
60 years of RC flying
Canada, ON, Ottawa
Joined Feb 2006
16,954 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fred Dings, II View Post
ggcrandall1; wheelspinner20

Everybody in this forum will enjoy this.

http://www.flixxy.com/rc-plane-with-camera-flies-around-scenic-germany.htm:
Here it is as a link:
http://www.flixxy.com/rc-plane-with-...ic-germany.htm

Very impressive. As far as I can see, some of the shots (like those at the beginning) were done with FPV, but most was straight "naked eyeball" piloting.

For that sort of thing you really do need a reasonably light model to minimize the damage when things go wrong (and make HL and catching possible). I'd like to see what ended up on the cutting room floor by way of near misses that didn't! There were a few shots where you didn't see the model safely through the opening and you wondered what had been edited out.
Last edited by Daedalus66; Jan 29, 2012 at 08:14 PM.
Old Jan 29, 2012, 08:18 PM
USA, GA, Marietta
Joined Aug 2005
5,896 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fred Dings, II View Post
ggcrandall1; wheelspinner20

Everybody in this forum will enjoy this.

http://www.flixxy.com/rc-plane-with-camera-flies-around-scenic-germany.htm

While you are designing foamies, Lockey, how about using your fevered imagination to come up with a 3D seaplane that will do a flat, climbing, inverted spin.
Fred,

That was wonderful. It had me going at the beginning. I Thought it was all FPV until I finally spotted the pilot. I wish I understood German. I sure would like to know what he was saying when the plane and pilot got dunked.

Glen
ggcrandall1 is online now Find More Posts by ggcrandall1
Old Jan 29, 2012, 08:18 PM
Planely Addicted
1236 Fremont St. Lancaster, PA 17603-6812
Joined Mar 2005
65 Posts
Quote:
As I said before, I will send you a 6/4 APC if I have an address, it will be in the post tomorrow, no charge.

My email is rc.flyer@comcast.net

FRED
Fred Dings, II is offline Find More Posts by Fred Dings, II
Old Jan 30, 2012, 01:32 AM
Park Jet Guru
Seattle, WA
Joined Jun 2002
5,616 Posts
Thanks for the support with the UK copyright violator, guys. I sent him a cease and desist message earlier today and told him I'd file an intellectual property rights violation with Ebay if he didn't remove the listing within 24 hrs.
jetset44 is offline Find More Posts by jetset44
Old Jan 30, 2012, 02:35 AM
Kool Kats Fly RC!! AMA 30462
United States, CA, Baywood-Los Osos
Joined Feb 2009
2,793 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by jetset44 View Post
Thanks for the support with the UK copyright violator, guys. I sent him a cease and desist message earlier today and told him I'd file an intellectual property rights violation with Ebay if he didn't remove the listing within 24 hrs.
Reported it to Ebay also. Sent a message to the seller as well reminding him of the meaning of the word theft!

Sonny
sonny1 is offline Find More Posts by sonny1
Old Jan 30, 2012, 05:24 AM
BRIDGEWATER MA.
Joined Feb 2008
100 Posts
That was a great video!!!!

Thanks for sharig !

Earl
EFUS is offline Find More Posts by EFUS
Old Jan 30, 2012, 06:14 AM
Crewe England
Joined Nov 2005
142 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Daedalus66 View Post
It's interesting how different pilots rate models differently. My friend has both a Seawind and a Polaris and considers the Polaris quite a bit more forgiving. I haven't flown the Seawind myself, but watching him, I see what he means.

I fly the Polaris, the XL and the Mini and say they all fly very similarly, except that they get a bit more gentle as the size increases, but other people find the difference in handling more striking. In fact, the XL turns out to be a very good aileron trainer, while the Polaris 100% and Mini are too quick for some beginning pilots.

What I think this shows is that "ease of handling" is a very subjective thing and ratings depend a lot on the extent and type of experience of the pilot. I suspect Acecall is a pretty good pilot!
We have an achievment scheme here introduced by the "Britsh Model Flying Association" some 30+ years ago. A pilot is tested by an examiner and awarded his 'A' Certificate of competence if he has shown himself to be a safe solo pilot. Holding a 'B' certificate qualifies the pilot to fly in front of the general public at shows, open meetings etc., there are also other grades. I do not know if a similar scheme is operated in the U.S. or elswhere.
I am a 'B' but I am also 75 years old thus my concentration, co-ordination and reactions are not what they used to be!
Its true that "ease of handling" like "a good pilot", can mean different things to different people, also one model can behave significantly differentl to another of the same design depending on how it has been made, weight, CoG, control surface movements etc.
I tried to give an unbiased comparison of how I believed my Seawind would handle in the hands of anyone used to flying a well set up Polaris.
acecall is offline Find More Posts by acecall
Old Jan 30, 2012, 06:59 AM
Tony Audsley Retired Locksmith
Australia, WA, Perth
Joined Sep 2011
3,375 Posts
Thanks D66 and Acecall for sharing your wealth of experiences, I too am getting older (68 this year) and my reactions and coordination’s are not what they used to be AND on top of that I have had about a 25 year gap in flying

They say its like riding a bike (you never forget how) and I guess it is to a certain extent BUT it’s the self confidence that isn’t the same as it was.

What one guy thinks is an easy plane to fly, another might think its not so easy and so on, as you have said its all down to experience.

I can honestly say that the Polaris has given me a lot more confidence in myself and I can now fly with less nervousness that I did a few months ago.

Lockey
Lockey is offline Find More Posts by Lockey
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Easy Autogyro
Old Jan 30, 2012, 07:18 AM
Crewe England
Joined Nov 2005
142 Posts
Quote:
BRC, Sussex Model Centre, Robotbirds all these people have them in stock.
acecall is offline Find More Posts by acecall