Espritmodel.com Telemetry Radio
Old Jan 29, 2012, 10:14 AM
Joined Nov 2008
37 Posts
Battery Hatch

I recently modified the battery hatch on my Polaris. First I epoxied a 1/32" piece of ply to the bottom front of the hatch. Then I embedded and epoxied a small magnet into the foam at the back of the hatch. On the fuselage I epoxied a small piece of tin cut from the lid of a tin can. Finally I used a piece of tape to act as a pull handle to lift the hatch to replace batteries.

I hope the photos help the description.

Mervin Friesen
Friesen 5 is offline Find More Posts by Friesen 5
to remove ads between posts
Old Jan 29, 2012, 10:16 AM
Joined Nov 2008
37 Posts
Yes. 50 mm wide. Corrected on original post. Thanks!
Friesen 5 is offline Find More Posts by Friesen 5
Old Jan 29, 2012, 11:39 AM
Row 0, Seat A
Savannah, GA
Joined Jan 2008
2,706 Posts
[QUOTE=acecall;20572106]Below is a pic of my Great Planes Seawind which along with the AquaCat & Polaris forms my current fleet of operational Sea/Land foamies. They are all bog standard builds except that I stuck a bubble canopy on this Polaris battery hatch.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Friesen 5 View Post
I reported the completion of my scratch built Polaris in post 13,248. I have now added some Monokote stick on vinyl on top and painted stripes on the bottom for better visibility. Each stripe is 50 mm wide and works out evenly on the width of the aileron. I've attached the photos to this post.
Mervin Friesen
Some very nice looking models chaps!

Ted
G550Ted is offline Find More Posts by G550Ted
Old Jan 29, 2012, 12:52 PM
Crewe England
Joined Nov 2005
142 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lockey View Post
I agree with you Kingsflier, it’s a great looking airplane, this is why I want to design one in Depron so its cheap and easy to build and hopefully will be nice to fly.

Love the canopy acecall, and nice pait job on the Polaris ... you say the Seawind is a pleasure to fly, how does it compare 1 to 10 with the “ease of flying” with the Polaris and Aqua-Cat?

Lockey
Lockey
On an easy to fly scale of 1 to 10 I would give my Seawind 9 when flying it scale like. It does not sit quite so firmly in the air as Polaris, I find I need to use the pitch and roll controls more particularly in roughish air. Taxiing on water or grass is almost as good as Polaris although stiffish cross winds can be more of a challenge. Take off and landing is a doddle if slightly faster that Polaris. It is no aerobat although it will loop, roll and stall turn authoritively. Inverted flight is a bit scarey. The rate of climb is not like Polaris, loops have to be a bit tighter. It is after all a small scale model of a light aircraft and looks great when flown smoothly a la scale. Based on my experience with my little Greatplanes Seawind, I imagine Kingsflyer's 71" version must be a delight to fly and to watch.
acecall is offline Find More Posts by acecall
Old Jan 29, 2012, 12:56 PM
Northwest Ohio
Joined Jan 2002
2,660 Posts
Counterfeit Polaris Kits on eBay!!!

One of our UK customers has alerted us to a guy selling inferior quality knockoff Polaris kits on eBay. I have filed a complaint (copyright infringement) with eBay and encourage anyone with an interest in the Polaris to do the same. Steve S. is aware of this and will file a complaint also.

The guy even had the nerve to use one of Steve's photos in his listing and he copied and pasted text right off the Model Aero web site!!! I'm sure if a few people report it his listings will be removed.

The report item button is on the right side of the listing just above the description.

Counterfeit Polaris Kits on eBay

Thanks,

Scott
Model Aero is offline Find More Posts by Model Aero
Old Jan 29, 2012, 01:26 PM
United Kingdom, England, Lincoln
Joined Jun 2011
710 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Model Aero View Post
One of our UK customers has alerted us to a guy selling inferior quality knockoff Polaris kits on eBay. I have filed a complaint (copyright infringement) with eBay and encourage anyone with an interest in the Polaris to do the same. Steve S. is aware of this and will file a complaint also.

The guy even had the nerve to use one of Steve's photos in his listing and he copied and pasted text right off the Model Aero web site!!! I'm sure if a few people report it his listings will be removed.

The report item button is on the right side of the listing just above the description.

Thanks,

Scott
Report filed.
abroadhurst94 is offline Find More Posts by abroadhurst94
Old Jan 29, 2012, 01:34 PM
Electric since 1990
East Central Ohio, United States
Joined Jun 2004
3,735 Posts
Report filed too.
Foamaholic is online now Find More Posts by Foamaholic
Old Jan 29, 2012, 03:03 PM
Crewe England
Joined Nov 2005
142 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Model Aero View Post

Thanks,

Scott
I have just been surfing the net and have found a site in the UK called "Floatfly Models". They are selling among other things Polaris, Aquajet and Aquacat model kits. Are you aware of this and are they doing this legally?
acecall is offline Find More Posts by acecall
Old Jan 29, 2012, 03:07 PM
Planely Addicted
1236 Fremont St. Lancaster, PA 17603-6812
Joined Mar 2005
65 Posts
ggcrandall1; wheelspinner20

Everybody in this forum will enjoy this.

http://www.flixxy.com/rc-plane-with-camera-flies-around-scenic-germany.htm

While you are designing foamies, Lockey, how about using your fevered imagination to come up with a 3D seaplane that will do a flat, climbing, inverted spin.
Fred Dings, II is offline Find More Posts by Fred Dings, II
Old Jan 29, 2012, 03:14 PM
Joined Oct 2009
1,048 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fred Dings, II View Post
ggcrandall1; wheelspinner20

Everybody in this forum will enjoy this.

http://www.flixxy.com/rc-plane-with-camera-flies-around-scenic-germany.htm

While you are designing foamies, Lockey, how about using your fevered imagination to come up with a 3D seaplane that will do a flat, climbing, inverted spin.
Hey Fred,,
Your link to see the video,,,,,, is nudda ,,,UTUBE says only on THEIR,,,site ,,,
That sucks,,,,,,, and should be elagle
Later,
Lenny
lennyboy is offline Find More Posts by lennyboy
Old Jan 29, 2012, 03:23 PM
S.E.Michigan
Joined Jul 2010
2,240 Posts
same
wheelspinner20 is offline Find More Posts by wheelspinner20
Old Jan 29, 2012, 04:28 PM
Northwest Ohio
Joined Jan 2002
2,660 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by acecall View Post
I have just been surfing the net and have found a site in the UK called "Floatfly Models". They are selling among other things Polaris, Aquajet and Aquacat model kits. Are you aware of this and are they doing this legally?
I was not aware of that web site and they are violating copyright laws. I'll send them a friendly email!!!

Thanks for helping out guys.

Scott
Old Jan 29, 2012, 04:33 PM
Planely Addicted
1236 Fremont St. Lancaster, PA 17603-6812
Joined Mar 2005
65 Posts
This is not a link, you have to copy and paste.
Fred Dings, II is offline Find More Posts by Fred Dings, II
Old Jan 29, 2012, 04:43 PM
United Kingdom, England, Lincoln
Joined Jun 2011
710 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by acecall View Post
They are also selling a Bede BD5 kit featured on RCG designed by Marcel, found here, they even used the designers photo for their own website.
abroadhurst94 is offline Find More Posts by abroadhurst94
Old Jan 29, 2012, 05:41 PM
Northwest Ohio
Joined Jan 2002
2,660 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by abroadhurst94 View Post
They are also selling a Bede BD5 kit featured on RCG designed by Marcel, found here, they even used the designers photo for their own website.
I noticed that also. It's not a monetary issue. It's just disappointing to see this kind of thing happen to people who are trying to do things right.

I won't post anymore on this topic as I do not want to derail the thread. But I do appreciate everyone who supports Steve's design and our kits.

Scott