HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Jan 25, 2012, 01:56 PM
The Netherlands
Joined Oct 2008
1,224 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Daedalus66 View Post
If you had no trouble balancing the others, they must be high wing models.
Thanks for repeating my answer in other words...
No problem .
mavlo77 is offline Find More Posts by mavlo77
to remove ads between posts
Old Jan 25, 2012, 01:58 PM
Joined Apr 2011
288 Posts
Quote:
The backwards prop theory might explain things. What kind of prop was it?
It looks like an APC 6x4 but I couldn't be sure it's genuine. What sort of numbers are you getting?

Quote:
While batteries make a difference, there would have to be something seriously wrong with any 2200 (like a dead cell) to explain your numbers.

Re Balance

If you had no trouble balancing the others, they must be high wing models.
Absolutely almost all high wings. One low wing and I turned it upside down, worked perfectly.
Thanks D66 and all, I'm happy enough about the CG point, just never saw that before.

Luke
Luke2000 is offline Find More Posts by Luke2000
Old Jan 25, 2012, 02:17 PM
Park Jet Guru
Seattle, WA
Joined Jun 2002
5,602 Posts
Quote:
This year will be the fourth in which my principle model for relaxed flying will be a Polaris or close relative (Aquacat). The Polaris is not only by far the best water flying model ever designed, but it's a great fun flyer for just about any occasion. I've enjoyed it more than anything I can remember.

I just wanted to say thank you to the three people who made this possible:

Laddie Mikulasko, for the original North Star design that started it all back in the 1980s.

Steve Shumate, for the Polaris, which translated the North Star into the electric model we have now.

Scott Detray of ModelAero.com for the kit that makes the Polaris so quick and easy to build.

And thanks to all the people who have participated in this forum, one of the most friendly and helpful places to go for RC advice and discussion on the Web.

Now if only the weather would improve so I could get out and fly a Polaris!
Cheers.
Thanks for the kind words, Nigel! I'm still THRILLED to see all the people enjoying this design. I had no idea when I started this thread 4 years ago that the Polaris would become so popular.

And THANK YOU, Nigel, for your generosity with sharing your wisdom with others in this thread! Whenever someone has asked a question, you're usually one of the first to respond and provide a comprehensive and well-thought out response. Plus all the time you've spent testing new motors/props/batteries/configurations/flying weights/etc, and then typing detailed reports and sharing it with us. The amount of time and effort you've spent helping others in this thread is amazing and VERY appreciated. In fact, I'd add your name to the list of three above that have made this thread and airplane what it is today! Kudos to you, sir.

Steve
jetset44 is offline Find More Posts by jetset44
Old Jan 25, 2012, 02:35 PM
Joined Apr 2011
288 Posts
Quote:
All those numbers are too low. With a 7x4, for example, you'd expect to see well over 20A.

So forget about measuring thrust and figure out why your motor is not drawing enough current. Take a good look at the ESC to make sure it's properly calibrated.

Exactly what props, motor and ESC are you using?
It's a 2212-6 motor, the ESC I use is just on a thrust rig, it's a 60A Skywings. That 6x4 is either an APC or an APC lookalike. I really just use the setup to see what is the best prop for thrust vs watts.

BTW Thanks Mavlo77, missed your reply there. They're almost all high wings alright.
Old Jan 25, 2012, 03:24 PM
Northwest Ohio
Joined Jan 2002
2,663 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by jetset44 View Post
Thanks for the kind words, Nigel! I'm still THRILLED to see all the people enjoying this design. I had no idea when I started this thread 4 years ago that the Polaris would become so popular.

And THANK YOU, Nigel, for your generosity with sharing your wisdom with others in this thread! Whenever someone has asked a question, you're usually one of the first to respond and provide a comprehensive and well-thought out response. Plus all the time you've spent testing new motors/props/batteries/configurations/flying weights/etc, and then typing detailed reports and sharing it with us. The amount of time and effort you've spent helping others in this thread is amazing and VERY appreciated. In fact, I'd add your name to the list of three above that have made this thread and airplane what it is today! Kudos to you, sir.

Steve
I agree Steve. Nigel is a 1st ballot Polaris Hall of Famer!!!

Scott

Www.modelaero.com
Model Aero is offline Find More Posts by Model Aero
Old Jan 25, 2012, 05:09 PM
Joined Apr 2011
288 Posts
Thanks Steve, it's a fantastic looking plane. It has the poise, grace and look of a concorde when flying.

One more question: Should the elevator, aileron and rudder throws on this 130% be the same as the 100% posted on page one, or increased by 30%?

Luke
Old Jan 25, 2012, 05:19 PM
59 years of RC flying
Canada, ON, Ottawa
Joined Feb 2006
16,162 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Luke2000 View Post
It's a 2212-6 motor, the ESC I use is just on a thrust rig, it's a 60A Skywings. That 6x4 is either an APC or an APC lookalike. I really just use the setup to see what is the best prop for thrust vs watts.
I still think ESC calibration could be the issue. Try the motor with a different ESC and make sure you follow any instructions for calibration (typically turn on with stick in high throttle then bring stick down to idle, enabling the ESC to learn the range).

If that isn't it, I would seriously question the motor. What brand is it and where did it come from? There are occasional reports of motors with loose magnets or improper windings.
Daedalus66 is online now Find More Posts by Daedalus66
Old Jan 25, 2012, 05:27 PM
Work....fly, repeat...
Fredericksburg, Virginia
Joined Jul 2008
1,617 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Model Aero View Post
I agree Steve. Nigel is a 1st ballot Polaris Hall of Famer!!!

Scott

Www.modelaero.com
+1 on that!!

Are you going to be at E-Fest this year Scott??
AeroRecon is online now Find More Posts by AeroRecon
Old Jan 25, 2012, 05:30 PM
59 years of RC flying
Canada, ON, Ottawa
Joined Feb 2006
16,162 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Luke2000 View Post

One more question: Should the elevator, aileron and rudder throws on this 130% be the same as the 100% posted on page one, or increased by 30%?

Luke
As you surmise, to get the same control angles, the throws should be 33% more. However, the throws shown for the regular 100% Polaris are quite generous, so it flies fine on them. But here's the story anyway.

I would suggest for high rate 1" each way for aileron, 1" up for elevator and about 1.2" down ( if you care about inverted and rolls, as the stabilizer is set at -2 degrees, so the first part of down is needed to overcome the built-in up in the stab). Use 35 to 40% expo, especially on aileron (it's excess aileron that gets people in trouble with this model).

Rudder isn't critical but give it 1.5" or so with 30% or so expo.

These are high rates. Set low rates at 70% and use low for the initial flights.

If you don't have dual rates or expo, it's important to use the low rate throws.

You should find the XL to be a real pussy cat. I've been using it for several months as an aileron trainer with some of my students.
Old Jan 25, 2012, 05:35 PM
59 years of RC flying
Canada, ON, Ottawa
Joined Feb 2006
16,162 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by AeroRecon View Post
+1 on that!!
Blush
Old Jan 25, 2012, 05:39 PM
Nederland, ZH
Joined Dec 2011
623 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lockey View Post
Thanks ak68 and thanks for sharing your vids

Looks like a great flying area you have found there, where is it?

Lockey
The first is in the Netherlands between the rivers Maas and Dode Maas or between villages Nederhemert-Zuid and Well on a block of land owned by a former schoolmate.

The second video is in central UK (Great Brittain) just half a mile north of a village called Kellington. It is probaly good I withstood the temptation of flying too close to the power plants.

I tought Downunder was further away but according to this forum these sites are only 14000 km from where you live
Imagine all the beautifull flying sites in between.
Since I started RC last autumn I noticed I looked different upon waterholes ponds billabongs lakes rivers and strips of grass or concrete. Most of the scenery I see is checked against the "flyability meter". There is a lot of suitable airspace around Perth as far as I remember.
ak68 is offline Find More Posts by ak68
Old Jan 25, 2012, 08:01 PM
Joined Sep 2006
585 Posts
Quote:
That's about the standard size. Mine currently has a 100g motor on it. No problem at all, though the battery needs to move ahead slightly for balance.
Thanks D66. I have a Waypoint 1400 Kv motor I am thinking of mounting in the future. But for now I just found a prop that works well with a much lighter Towerpro 1600kv motor -- its the 8x6 with the folded tips from Tower Hobbies. As long as I don't fly at full throttle all of the time the motor just comes down warm. Performance is much improved over the same motor with an 8x4 apc.

The XL is definitely a pussycat to fly.

Bob
bob93447 is offline Find More Posts by bob93447
Old Jan 26, 2012, 12:06 AM
Aus
ʎןɟ inverted ɹǝpunuʍop
Australia, ACT, Amaroo
Joined Jul 2011
1,170 Posts
Close Call

This morning I was fortunate to join nrg2go for a fly and I put six battery packs through my Polaris. In the end the wind beat me and tipped me over as I was touching down. No damage though - just the wait of shame until the wind pushed it to the bank . This is the second time I have flipped it and am fully convinced that using gold-n-rod for the elevator control with the servo in the fuselage has prevented extra repairs as the servo remains above the (inverted) water line.

I had a quick play with some video today before the wind came up. I was sure that I didn't have anything interesting to share until I reviewed the video. This shows a near miss with a light tower. The problem was that I didn't even realise I was close until I looked at the video. Nrg2go and I actually commented later on that we must be getting close to the lights, but that was well after this video was filmed.

So nrg2go, can you get closer?

Happy Australia Day to all Polarians downunder.

Aus.

Close Call (0 min 17 sec)
Aus is offline Find More Posts by Aus
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Model Tech Blue Max II
Old Jan 26, 2012, 03:59 AM
Aussie, Aussie, Aussie!
Melbourne, Australia
Joined Apr 2009
1,188 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aus View Post
This morning I was fortunate to join nrg2go for a fly and I put six battery packs through my Polaris. In the end the wind beat me and tipped me over as I was touching down. No damage though - just the wait of shame until the wind pushed it to the bank . This is the second time I have flipped it and am fully convinced that using gold-n-rod for the elevator control with the servo in the fuselage has prevented extra repairs as the servo remains above the (inverted) water line.

I had a quick play with some video today before the wind came up. I was sure that I didn't have anything interesting to share until I reviewed the video. This shows a near miss with a light tower. The problem was that I didn't even realise I was close until I looked at the video. Nrg2go and I actually commented later on that we must be getting close to the lights, but that was well after this video was filmed.

So nrg2go, can you get closer?

Happy Australia Day to all Polarians downunder.

Aus.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kNyOHMPBAfE

No way!

You win, I have a small video which I will upload soon from todays antics.

My on-board camera captured your flip.

OK its uploaded but won't be ready for about another 30mins, enjoy.
808 #16 HD Keycam test (1 min 33 sec)
nrg2go is online now Find More Posts by nrg2go
Last edited by nrg2go; Jan 26, 2012 at 05:32 AM. Reason: Added video
Old Jan 26, 2012, 04:56 AM
Joined Apr 2011
288 Posts
Quote:
I still think ESC calibration could be the issue. Try the motor with a different ESC and make sure you follow any instructions for calibration (typically turn on with stick in high throttle then bring stick down to idle, enabling the ESC to learn the range).

If that isn't it, I would seriously question the motor. What brand is it and where did it come from? There are occasional reports of motors with loose magnets or improper windings.
I've run it in the Polaris with the ESC that I'll be using. Ran just over 26 amps with the 7 x 4 (on a fresh nano tech battery), so that's significantly better. It's a genuine 2212-6 motor.
I really just use that thrust rig to see what prop gives the best ratio of pull per watt. Am I right thinking that that's important and the best way of figuring it out?
I ordered another 2212-6 from Rctimer last night so I'll see when that arrives what the difference is.
I really do want a slow/graceful flyer from this, so thanks to all for all the advise and I'll set those throws as recommended.

It's a bit rough at the moment, but with some paint on, I'll post pics.

TVM
Luke