Lockey is online now Find More Posts by Lockey
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Easy Autogyro
to remove ads between posts
Old Dec 24, 2011, 06:49 AM
United Kingdom, England, Lincoln
Joined Jun 2011
710 Posts
Well done on the maiden Lockey, do you have any pictures or video of it?

I managed to get the MDF from B&Q today with the help of my flying buddy Ian, unfortunately he's not a member on here or any other forum as far as I know.

I should be able to start cutting the pieces out of the depron later then onto the build.

Merry Christmas,
Alex.
abroadhurst94 is offline Find More Posts by abroadhurst94
Old Dec 24, 2011, 08:16 AM
60 years of RC flying
Canada, ON, Ottawa
Joined Feb 2006
16,536 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lockey View Post
WELL, I have just maidened my Mini Polaris … AND, whilst it flew …. ok, it wasn’t near as nice to fly as the STD 100% version witch flies like a dream.

It was a VERY clam day … until I got it in the air and as though IT HAD TO, the wind came up

It seemed to be hanging a little on turns, maybe it was a little tail heavy, don’t know .. I will try another day … OR maybe it was a little nose heavy as I had to give it a bit of up trim on the elevator to fly level

I came in a little heavy and the tail end came loose, that will teach me to stick the tail on with CA … Epoxy next time

Lockey
Sorry to hear the maiden wasn't perfect.

What you should expect is that it fly like a Polaris but a bit quicker on the controls, and a bit quicker to come down. I find mine very enjoyable to fly, though I still like the bigger ones for their lightness (when my Mini was around 9oz it felt pretty light, about like 21oz Polaris , but at 11oz it feels more like a 25oz Polaris).

And like any small model, it will get bounced around in rough air. So give it a chance in calm conditions.

As far as I'm concerned, the test for CG is simple. Put it on the step or 1/8" ahead. I've always found that to be just about right for any size Polaris. I often find it takes a smidgen of up elevator to get level flight at cruise.

Anyway, give it a good chance. I think you'll find it a very nice model to fly.
Daedalus66 is offline Find More Posts by Daedalus66
Old Dec 24, 2011, 09:14 AM
Tony Audsley Retired Locksmith
Australia, WA, Perth
Joined Sep 2011
3,140 Posts
Quote:
Anyway, give it a good chance. I think you'll find it a very nice model to fly
Will do D66 and I will try and get some pics or video on its next flight, think I might remove all the tape and decals at this added a couple of ounces and fly it on a "calm" day

Good luck with your build Alex, I would definitely go for the full size if I were you mate

Lockey
Lockey is online now Find More Posts by Lockey
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Easy Autogyro
Old Dec 24, 2011, 09:36 AM
United Kingdom, England, Lincoln
Joined Jun 2011
710 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lockey View Post
Good luck with your build Alex, I would definitely go for the full size if I were you mate
Thanks, and I am.
abroadhurst94 is offline Find More Posts by abroadhurst94
Old Dec 24, 2011, 11:13 AM
Joined Oct 2009
1,067 Posts
A message to Santa

Well everybody is moving around to be with family so Merry Christmas & a Happy new year to all on RC Group..

Later,
Lenny
lennyboy is offline Find More Posts by lennyboy
Old Dec 24, 2011, 04:41 PM
Nederland, ZH
Joined Dec 2011
658 Posts
Hello. I'm new here. RC bug bit me the other day. Thanks to jetset44 I caught polarisitis. Not unpleasant. I Read all pages. Impressive. Finished first scratchbuilt. Hope to send vid soon when this works. Did the maiden for the plane. Was maiden for me as well since it was the first fixed wing RC plane I ever launched (and landed).

3 mm depron + coloured tape & UHU por. RC Timer 2200kV . Turnigy 3S 2200mAh batt. 520 grams AUW. Orange receiver. 9g servos. Tx : DX6i.

Wish you all a pleasant X-mas.

AK68.
ak68 is offline Find More Posts by ak68
Old Dec 24, 2011, 04:57 PM
Aussie, Aussie, Aussie!
Australia, NT, Katherine
Joined Apr 2009
1,190 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by ak68 View Post
Hello. I'm new here. RC bug bit me the other day. Thanks to jetset44 I caught polarisitis. Not unpleasant. I Read all pages. Impressive. Finished first scratchbuilt. Hope to send vid soon when this works. Did the maiden for the plane. Was maiden for me as well since it was the first fixed wing RC plane I ever launched (and landed).

3 mm depron + coloured tape & UHU por. RC Timer 2200kV . Turnigy 3S 2200mAh batt. 520 grams AUW. Orange receiver. 9g servos. Tx : DX6i.

Wish you all a pleasant X-mas.

AK68.
Congrats. With regular doses of Polaris flying you should keep the condition in check, you learn to live with it. What scale was yours?

A Merry Xmas to you as well and we all look forward to our photo and video Xmas present.
nrg2go is offline Find More Posts by nrg2go
Old Dec 24, 2011, 05:24 PM
Nederland, ZH
Joined Dec 2011
658 Posts
Thanks a lot Steve for the plans and design!
AK68.
Old Dec 24, 2011, 05:31 PM
Nederland, ZH
Joined Dec 2011
658 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by nrg2go View Post
What scale was yours?

Hello nrg2go;

Scale is 92%. Printer at work was not bigger. I don't manage avi video uploading yet. Hope you do get presents anyway.

AK68
Old Dec 24, 2011, 06:51 PM
S.E.Michigan
Joined Jul 2010
2,240 Posts
Quote:
it was the first fixed wing RC plane I ever launched (and landed).

ak68 Thats amazing. Nicely done. This is the first for you, and you had the guts to throw it in the water. Impressive. Looks great.! You have rotary wing experience then ??

Merry Christmas and nicely done sir.!

P.
wheelspinner20 is offline Find More Posts by wheelspinner20
Old Dec 24, 2011, 07:22 PM
Nederland, ZH
Joined Dec 2011
658 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by wheelspinner20 View Post
Impressive. Looks great.! You have rotary wing experience then ??
P.
Thanks wheelspinner20
Rotary wing ''experience'' is limited to small MCR blade heli in living room. I spend a lot of hours practicing all sort of planes at FMS RCflightsimulator. That certainly saved a lot of glue and foam.
Pre-maiden was scooting around on the river. Maiden was from short grass meadow. I admit: legs where shaking at the time. Video still to come when I find out how upload properly.

AK68
Old Dec 24, 2011, 07:26 PM
S.E.Michigan
Joined Jul 2010
2,240 Posts
OK excellent, just upload to youtube.com or vimeo.com I think is better, and then copy and paste the link that shows up in your browser address bar when you are viewwing it-- in a post window here, and the rcgroups site does the embedding for you.!

P.

P.S> I just picked up my first heli, its a chinese clone of the MSR and its really cheap, but the only reason I dove in to rotary was that it is designed with a rx format that my 9x transmitter can bind to.! With custom firmware, it really brings that little $40 heli to life!

P.
wheelspinner20 is offline Find More Posts by wheelspinner20
Old Dec 24, 2011, 07:35 PM
Row 0, Seat A
Savannah, GA
Joined Jan 2008
2,720 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by wheelspinner20 View Post

P.S> I just picked up my first heli, its a chinese clone of the MSR and its really cheap, but the only reason I dove in to rotary was that it is designed with a rx format that my 9x transmitter can bind to.! With custom firmware, it really brings that little $40 heli to life!

P.
Which one is that?

Ted
G550Ted is online now Find More Posts by G550Ted
Old Dec 24, 2011, 08:07 PM View Post
shuangmandi
A moderator felt this post violated the following rule: Off Topic Advertisement. Show it to me anyway.