HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Dec 18, 2011, 04:58 AM
Canberra Australia
Joined Feb 2007
1,478 Posts
Not good news. I just ordered two of the 12A versions (badged as Hobbyking but the same otherwise) for a twin I'm building. Hopefully as they only just came back in stock they have fixed the problem?
CaseySP is online now Find More Posts by CaseySP
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Alfa Corsair Retracts again
to remove ads between posts
Old Dec 18, 2011, 05:29 AM
Tony Audsley Retired Locksmith
Australia, WA, Perth
Joined Sep 2011
3,362 Posts
I got 2 of these and the first one I have used seems to work fine

Which ones would you guys recomend to buy? 40A for the larger motors and around 15A for the smaller ones

Lockey
Lockey is offline Find More Posts by Lockey
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Easy Autogyro
Old Dec 18, 2011, 06:29 AM
Aussie, Aussie, Aussie!
Australia, NT, Katherine
Joined Apr 2009
1,193 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lockey View Post
I got 2 of these and the first one I have used seems to work fine

Which ones would you guys recomend to buy? 40A for the larger motors and around 15A for the smaller ones

Lockey
That one seems worse than the Mystery, it's BEC is only quoted at 1A.

In the blurb about the Mystery it also says "This ESC is also sold as: HobbyKing BlueSeries." For those that are interested.

Everyone will have their own preferences Lockey. Me personally, because I have had nothing go wrong, I will stick with the Plush Series of ESCs from HK. As a rule I go no lower in rating than 40A because 40A and above have switching BECs onboard. I did however fit a 30A Plush ESC into my MiniP to try and keep the wt down as much as possible. It too has caused me no concerns as yet, but in hindsight I didn't really save too much wt and could have stuck to my rule.

I simply don't like an ESC to be working too hard, so my rule is to measure the WOT static current draw and double it. Then I choose an ESC around this value. My motor draws 21A at WOT static so I chose the 40A Plush ESC. There will be other preferences so prepare to be given many options.
nrg2go is offline Find More Posts by nrg2go
Old Dec 18, 2011, 07:49 AM
Australia, WA, Perth
Joined Sep 2011
3,362 Posts
thanks 2go, I can't say I understand the electric thing at all, all new to me

Lockey
RCG Plus Member
Old Dec 18, 2011, 08:13 AM
We shall serve the Lord
United States, TX, Kingsland
Joined Sep 2005
5,154 Posts
NRG2GO is rignt! I stay away from the lower priced Mystery and SS (Super Simple) series of controllers and only us the Plush series on my planes. The Plush 40 is my favorite ESC for all my smaller planes and all my Polari.

At our flying field, we have had too many failures of the cheaper ESCs to make them worth the risk. I'll spend the few extra dollars for the Plush series every time. In the big scheme of things, it's less than a 1% premium in the total cost of the Polaris and it gives 1000% increase in confidence.

Quote:
thanks 2go, I can't say I understand the electric thing at all, all new to me

Lockey
As for "the electric thing", just remember that when it comes to ESCs, bigger is usually better .

MHO and my 2 cents.

McD
kingsflyer is offline Find More Posts by kingsflyer
RCG Plus Member
Last edited by kingsflyer; Dec 18, 2011 at 08:21 AM.
Old Dec 18, 2011, 09:50 AM
60 years of RC flying
Canada, ON, Ottawa
Joined Feb 2006
16,949 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by nrg2go View Post
Thanks D66. No the still shots came from Aus using a proper still digital camera. Perhaps the ultimate solution is to have someone with us who knows what they're doing using professional equipment.
Where would be the fun in that?
Daedalus66 is online now Find More Posts by Daedalus66
Old Dec 18, 2011, 09:58 AM
60 years of RC flying
Canada, ON, Ottawa
Joined Feb 2006
16,949 Posts
Quote:
I have recently bought these 2 ESC’s and neither seem to work properly, when they are connected up the control surfaces flutter about … am I missing something? Or should I be setting something?

I then replaced them with a different one and all was OK .... Help please

Lockey
I've had good results with the HK Blue 12A and 40A, which I understood were from the same source with different label. But it certainly sounds like you got bad ones. It's one thing to have a little difficulty with arming or rough start-up but something worse if the ESC affects other channels.
Last edited by Daedalus66; Dec 18, 2011 at 10:10 AM.
Old Dec 18, 2011, 10:09 AM
60 years of RC flying
Canada, ON, Ottawa
Joined Feb 2006
16,949 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by nrg2go View Post
I simply don't like an ESC to be working too hard, so my rule is to measure the WOT static current draw and double it. Then I choose an ESC around this value. My motor draws 21A at WOT static so I chose the 40A Plush ESC. There will be other preferences so prepare to be given many options.
Good general rule, especially with the ESC inside the fuselage, as bigger means better cooling. I've always been nervous about marginal BECs and the risk of losing not just power but control if they cook. So all my 100% and larger Polaris variants have a 40A ESC with switching BEC. The extra size also helps keep things cool, as for a linear BEC running on 3s to get from 11.1v down to 5v the heat dumped is significant.
Old Dec 18, 2011, 10:11 AM
60 years of RC flying
Canada, ON, Ottawa
Joined Feb 2006
16,949 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by CaseySP View Post
Not good news. I just ordered two of the 12A versions (badged as Hobbyking but the same otherwise) for a twin I'm building. Hopefully as they only just came back in stock they have fixed the problem?
They've worked OK for me.
Old Dec 18, 2011, 03:00 PM
Canberra Australia
Joined Feb 2007
1,478 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Daedalus66 View Post
They've worked OK for me.
That's great to hear. Hopefully Lockey's were just a bad batch, not a systemic problem.

I'll be using one BEC for the for the retracts (two servos), one BEC for the flaps (two servos), and a UBEC for the critical flight controls (four servos).
CaseySP is online now Find More Posts by CaseySP
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Alfa Corsair Retracts again
Old Dec 18, 2011, 08:01 PM
Eugene, Oregon
Joined Feb 2011
612 Posts
BIG smile this evening after flying the 100% off water for the first time. Perfect conditions. Great fun....not a plopper, like the little higher speed glide soft landing. No leaks. Great airplane.
allelectrik is online now Find More Posts by allelectrik
Old Dec 18, 2011, 08:39 PM
Australia, WA, Perth
Joined Sep 2011
3,362 Posts
Quote:
BIG smile this evening after flying the 100% off water for the first time
Good one allelectrik ... I have still to fly my polaris from water, don't know when that will be though, glad to hear you had a blast

Lockey
RCG Plus Member
Old Dec 18, 2011, 08:51 PM
Aussie, Aussie, Aussie!
Australia, NT, Katherine
Joined Apr 2009
1,193 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by allelectrik View Post
BIG smile this evening after flying the 100% off water for the first time. Perfect conditions. Great fun....not a plopper, like the little higher speed glide soft landing. No leaks. Great airplane.
Flying off terra firma is sooo boring after you've flown off water. Took the Great Niece with me this Sat for some Polaris flying. She gets bored quickly but we both enjoyed the morning. She threw rocks out into the water and challenged me to land inside the circle. Great fun.
nrg2go is offline Find More Posts by nrg2go
Old Dec 18, 2011, 10:37 PM
60 years of RC flying
Canada, ON, Ottawa
Joined Feb 2006
16,949 Posts
Flying surfaces in descending order of satisfaction:
1. WATER!!!
2. SNOW!!
3. GRASS!
4. Dirt
5. Asphalt
6. Gravel
Old Dec 18, 2011, 11:00 PM
Australia, WA, Perth
Joined Sep 2011
3,362 Posts
Quote:
Flying surfaces in descending order of satisfaction:
1. WATER!!!
2. SNOW!!
3. GRASS!
4. Dirt
5. Asphalt
6. Gravel
Love it .... I will maybe get chance to fly from water, but NEVER from Snow here in Perth ... Grass is about as good as it gets
RCG Plus Member