SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Nov 16, 2011, 01:10 AM
Park Jet Guru
Seattle, WA
Joined Jun 2002
5,616 Posts
Finally got a chance to watch the video, jhi. Nice flying and beautiful scenery! Thanks for sharing.
jetset44 is online now Find More Posts by jetset44
to remove ads between posts
Old Nov 16, 2011, 02:40 AM
Aussie, Aussie, Aussie!
Australia, NT, Katherine
Joined Apr 2009
1,193 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by jhi View Post

River maiden
I have flown my Polaris2 from the ground for some time now, but never from water (in this case brackish water). As always a little nerve wrecking, but all went well. I don't own a boat, and there were no boats to be seen, and no backup plan -

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eSriCDtHY_A
Nice one jhi !

If I had a site like that nearby I'd pack:

Folding chair
Cooler (drinks, food)
6 batts
1 charger
1 Polaris

and I ain't leavin till one of the ingredients fails.

Looked like there was some water flow when you came in close to shore and stopped the motor?
nrg2go is online now Find More Posts by nrg2go
Old Nov 16, 2011, 04:41 AM
jhi
Norway
Joined Jun 2009
175 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by nrg2go View Post
Nice one jhi !

If I had a site like that nearby I'd pack:

Folding chair
Cooler (drinks, food)
6 batts
1 charger
1 Polaris

and I ain't leavin till one of the ingredients fails.

Looked like there was some water flow when you came in close to shore and stopped the motor?
Hehe - you aussies have a lot of humor - I visited Australia in 1999 so don't ask how I know!
I agree on all above except the cooler - the temperature here is now -3 degrees centigrade ..
Well, I am lucky, it is only 400 meters from where I live to the river.

Also thanks to all the others for the kind words!

/Jan
jhi is online now Find More Posts by jhi
Last edited by jhi; Nov 16, 2011 at 02:23 PM. Reason: Made a point of how cold it is - attached photos
Old Nov 16, 2011, 09:06 AM
Joined Oct 2009
1,073 Posts
I finally caught up to you guys..

Quote:
Hehe - you aussies are funny - I visited Australia in 1999 so don't ask how I know!
I agree on all above except the cooler - the temperature here is now -3 degrees centigrade ..

/Jan
It only took me 6 days to run thru all 907 pages..
This has got to be the longest forum in computer history let alone RC Group..
Ok let's dig in and get some Polaris's built..
Lenny
lennyboy is offline Find More Posts by lennyboy
Old Nov 16, 2011, 09:27 AM
NY
Joined May 2000
2,274 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Model Aero View Post
It flew fantastic on the A10-7L. He was running a 600 to 800 3S pack and an APC 5/5 prop I believe. I've got video of it but not edited. He flew it all weekend with no issues and it was very quick. I bet he shot at least 50 touch and goes on the indoor water runway.

Scott

www.ModelAero.com

Scott - can you find out exactly what prop he was using ? I tested with a Graupner cam 5x5 and pulled over 15a on 3s and from memory well over 100w (it drew so much the Castle Phoenix 10 I had was shutting down and I had to switch to a 30a ESC to get a reading !) ... Hacker/ AeroModel lists the specs @

•Operating Current: 5A
•Peak Current: 8A
•Peak Watts: 75

... as always, appreciate the help
Alan W is offline Find More Posts by Alan W
Last edited by Alan W; Nov 16, 2011 at 11:19 AM.
Old Nov 16, 2011, 09:54 AM
Tony Audsley Retired Locksmith
Australia, WA, Perth
Joined Sep 2011
3,371 Posts
Cut out and started building 100% Polaris today

Away this weekend so won’t have much time on the build till next week now

Will post pics of the build if you guys would like?

Lockey

PS. Still got 146 pages to get through
Lockey is offline Find More Posts by Lockey
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Easy Autogyro
Old Nov 16, 2011, 10:08 AM
Joined Oct 2009
1,073 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lockey View Post
Cut out and started building 100% Polaris today

Away this weekend so won’t have much time on the build till next week now

Will post pics of the build if you guys would like?

Lockey

PS. Still got 146 pages to get through
I cheated on some and only checked out the video's or photo's and skipped a few to catch up
Old Nov 16, 2011, 11:23 AM
60 years of RC flying
Canada, ON, Ottawa
Joined Feb 2006
16,954 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alan W View Post
I tested with a Graupner cam 5x5 and pulled over 15a on 3s and from memory well over 100w (it drew so much the Castle Phoenix 10 I had was shutting down and I had to switch to a 30a ESC to get a reading !) ... Hacker/ AeroModel lists the specs @

•Operating Current: 5A
•Peak Current: 8A
•Peak Watts: 75
I have had no problem with a C20 motor that has similar specifications (2250KV) running a 6x4 APC cut down to 5x4. The ESC is 10A. Using an 800 mAh 3s battery, peak current is about 9A. I have it installed in a Mini Polaris and was just out flying it.
Daedalus66 is online now Find More Posts by Daedalus66
Old Nov 16, 2011, 12:15 PM
60 years of RC flying
Canada, ON, Ottawa
Joined Feb 2006
16,954 Posts
More on control throws

I just had a dramatic insight into the effect of excessive control throw. I wanted to check out a brand new HK 4-channel radio ($24!) which will be used by a friend's grandson. So I installed it in a Polaris and took it out to fly.

The servo installation had been set up to give pretty much the recommended throws with my JR on 100% throw. But I fly it mostly on low rate and with a bunch of expo (40%). The new radio, of course, has no expo or D/R or travel adjust, so, as you might say, I was flying bareback. But I'm an experienced Polaris flyer from way back, right? Right!

The model was nearly unflyable! The combination of out of trim and very sensitive controls made it extremely twitchy. It was not too bad once I reduced power to half throttle and gave it a bunch of down trim, but it was still hard to fly. I even managed to mess up the landing and flipped it on its back.

Give a model like that to an inexperienced pilot and you've got a crash waiting to happen in the very near future. The very quick aileron is particularly liable to get people into trouble. I knew about this issue before but the experience today brought home just how difficult the model can be to fly with excessive throw. It helped to explain critical comments about the handling of a model I know should be a pleasure to fly.

What's the solution? If you are using a simple radio without expo or dual rates, I would go for about half the recommended throws. Say 0.5" (13mm) on elevator and 3/8" (10mm) on aileron. Rudder can be about 1" (25mm) but is much less critical.

The DX5e provides D/R with a fixed low rate of 75% but no expo. On high rate I'd set elevator for about 5/8" (16mm) and aileron for about 1/2" (13mm). I'd use 1 1/4" (31mm) or so for rudder on high. Then I'd fly it on low rate till I got used to it!

Note that with a simple radio, you have to get all this right mechanically. It's particularly important with elevator, where the linkage is inaccessible after the stab is glued on. I'd think seriously about using a longer horn on the elevator with multiple holes, just to allow me to adjust sensitivity. To allow for aileron adjustment, I would attach the fuselage bottom with tape until I had satisfied myself that the sensitivity was OK.

For some people, the throws I'm suggesting will be too tame. Fine. Enjoy livelier performance with bigger throws. It's the people, especially beginners, who want a smooth, manageable model I'm concerned about. For them I hope these comments will help avoid a few crashes and increase the pleasure of flying the Polaris.

PS The radio worked fine.
Last edited by Daedalus66; Nov 16, 2011 at 12:25 PM.
Old Nov 16, 2011, 02:04 PM
Joined Oct 2009
1,073 Posts
Quote:
Hehe - you aussies are funny - I visited Australia in 1999 so don't ask how I know!

/Jan
Yep frost on the pumpkin as they say here in Illinois,,
Should just snow on christmas then go back up in th 70??lol
Old Nov 16, 2011, 02:14 PM
The Netherlands
Joined Oct 2008
1,224 Posts
Quote:

/Jan
Hi Jan, very nice video, as I mentioned earlier in your comments. In 2010 during summertime I was traveling in Norway as you know, and had those ingredients! Drinks, folding chair, charger and .... Polaris!!! . Great memories as it was so relax to fly, sit, relax, drive, enjoy nature, sleep, fly .... and this for 2 weeks .
mavlo77 is offline Find More Posts by mavlo77
Old Nov 16, 2011, 03:02 PM
unconventional :-)
Brisbane north, Australia
Joined Feb 2009
2,111 Posts
Unorthodox idea for taxiing in wind

Hello,

Polaris flies well in windy conditions but taxiing in wind always makes me nervous, which led me to this crazy idea. If I installed BIG flaps on the wing that expose BIG holes in the wings when actuated, then the lift would be greatly reduced while open. So rather than having flaps for landing you would have these flap-like control surfaces for taxiing.

Thoughts?

PS Great video Jan. All these videos makes me want to travel the world to see the places that are not on the typical brochure.
kadil is offline Find More Posts by kadil
Old Nov 16, 2011, 04:01 PM
What could possibly go wrong?
Market Harborough
Joined Apr 2006
3,794 Posts
D66
Quote:
I just had a dramatic insight into the effect of excessive control throw.
Well said! that's worth remembering.

nickchud is offline Find More Posts by nickchud
Old Nov 16, 2011, 05:37 PM
60 years of RC flying
Canada, ON, Ottawa
Joined Feb 2006
16,954 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by kadil View Post
Polaris flies well in windy conditions but taxiing in wind always makes me nervous, which led me to this crazy idea. If I installed BIG flaps on the wing that expose BIG holes in the wings when actuated, then the lift would be greatly reduced while open. So rather than having flaps for landing you would have these flap-like control surfaces for taxiing.
Don't think of them as flaps, they're spoilers. Their function is to spoil lift and stop the Polaris lifting off the water and flipping. I think raising the spoilers to disturb airflow is much more important than any reduction in wing area caused by creating openings. I also think that you don't want these spoilers to be very high -- much more effective to have a 1" spoiler across much of the wing than a 4" high thing over a smaller section.

For me, the only problem taxiing in wind, particularly with the XL, has been the risk of rolling over in a strong cross wind. I don't think it's primarily a question of wing lift but of wind pressure on side area high up. I plan to remove most of the top fin from the XL in order to make it less susceptible to submerging a wing tip and rolling over in a strong cross wind. (I flew the Polaris the other day without the top fin and as I recall you did too a while ago. It was fine.)

Any of this make sense to you?
Old Nov 16, 2011, 05:46 PM
jhi
Norway
Joined Jun 2009
175 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by kadil View Post
Hello,

PS Great video Jan. All these videos makes me want to travel the world to see the places that are not on the typical brochure.
Yes, same for me! I like to travel (in fact I visited my son in Brisbane, your home city, in 1999 when he studied at QUT). When I retire in a couple of years I hope to travel even more, maybe even Australia again as I enjoyed the stay very much - nice climate also!

I don't know if I can comment on your wind taxiing idea, is it neccessary with big flaps - maybe only small slats like on the bigger airplanes to very quickly ruin the lift. Anyway, the Polaris is a very light plane and the wind is going to toss it around... Looking forward to see the result of your experiment!

Edit:
OK - Daedalus beat me to it hehe - I think you better listen to him

/Jan
jhi is online now Find More Posts by jhi
Last edited by jhi; Nov 16, 2011 at 05:51 PM.