HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Nov 11, 2011, 08:50 PM
S.E.Michigan
Joined Jul 2010
2,240 Posts
Hey Kadil, I forgot, off topic warning, there is a micro fp heli out that binds with the 9x. Its my first heli, I like it. Reasonable price too. Google Xieda 9958 or search general rcgroups.

Ah crap, you don't have the 9x, but its fine I think it will bind with the ct6b because its the same ppm signal.
wheelspinner20 is offline Find More Posts by wheelspinner20
Last edited by wheelspinner20; Nov 11, 2011 at 08:53 PM. Reason: forgot
to remove ads between posts
Old Nov 11, 2011, 09:20 PM
unconventional :-)
Brisbane north, Australia
Joined Feb 2009
2,111 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by wheelspinner20 View Post
Kadil, dang that is a nice set up for the hatches. REally nicely done. My led lit pol was a big hit at the field where a bunch had not seen it at night before, because we just lost daylight savings time.

Kadil, is there something specific you think as far as flight characteristics? or is it just that its new, stiff, and undamaged? I really like the contrast black and white.

Alpea, the fff you bought, does it have film on both sides? and how is the wavyness??

Pat
Thanks Pat. I like the contrast but think i still want to highlight those KF type leading edge strips. Maybe a grey, maybe bright red.

Not much that I can really say as it has only had 4 or 4 lift offs on one day and that is all. I have been sooooo busy that i have not even taken it out for weeks. Hopefully tomorrow morning, bright and early, maybe in the open ocean

Still have not ordered my Tx, but I hope to win the lottery soon to free up some time to play with micro heli's
kadil is online now Find More Posts by kadil
Old Nov 11, 2011, 10:34 PM
check for reversed controls
United States, CA, Chino
Joined Oct 2007
10,240 Posts
wheelspinner,
It's not a bad bundle of Protection board as far as comparing it to the 2 other bundles I've gotten. . It has plastic film on one side and the wavyness is small ripples . BTW did you see the 75% Polaris I had as a night flyer last year in June? It's in this thread . Go back to May and June 2010
alpea 41 is offline Find More Posts by alpea 41
Old Nov 12, 2011, 04:35 PM
Joined Feb 2009
2,111 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by alpea 41 View Post
Very nice hatches kadil, unusuall K.F. steps also. You like the KF airfoils ?
I flew 2 flights this morning, with mixed results in a light but gusty breeze.

On the down side:
- The model does seem a bit slow, not problematic, just a bit slow. I will have to do a throttle calibration and retest
- There is a funny "top heavy" feel to the model at mid speed. This might have been just me over correcting after gusts hit the model, since I have not flown much lately, but I am not convinced. Have to get more practice and retest in still conditions
- it is a bit noisy, I think it is the big hatches slapping or rattling

On the up side though:
- this thing glides in for an extremely slow landing with very precise control compared to my previous builds (which is strange considering mid speed aileron control is questionable)
Old Nov 12, 2011, 05:18 PM
Montana Transplant
United States, OR, Klamath Falls
Joined Aug 2005
1,930 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by kadil View Post
I flew 2 flights this morning, with mixed results in a light but gusty breeze.

On the down side:
- The model does seem a bit slow, not problematic, just a bit slow. I will have to do a throttle calibration and retest
- There is a funny "top heavy" feel to the model at mid speed. This might have been just me over correcting after gusts hit the model, since I have not flown much lately, but I am not convinced. Have to get more practice and retest in still conditions
- it is a bit noisy, I think it is the big hatches slapping or rattling

On the up side though:
- this thing glides in for an extremely slow landing with very precise control compared to my previous builds (which is strange considering mid speed aileron control is questionable)
from engineering stand point the KF should be on the lower side of the wind...
at mid speeds you may be upsetting the boundry layer flow and causing the ailerons blanking out.
mt_flyer is offline Find More Posts by mt_flyer
Old Nov 12, 2011, 05:21 PM
Aussie, Aussie, Aussie!
Melbourne, Australia
Joined Apr 2009
1,190 Posts
Tried a 6 x 4 APC on my LSSPJ motor yesterday instead of my usual 7 x 5 APC.

Obviously the first thing I was going to notice was less thrust, and i did, but it was still flyable. I should have hooked up my ET Logger to get some current data in-flight but I didn't. I like my 7 x 5 APC setup, it just feels better and has more low down response than the 6 x 4. The only reason I would change down to the 6 x 4 is if there is significant current drop giving greater flight times.

I'll do some static comparisons and then dynamic next outing.
nrg2go is online now Find More Posts by nrg2go
Old Nov 12, 2011, 05:25 PM
Montana Transplant
United States, OR, Klamath Falls
Joined Aug 2005
1,930 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by nrg2go View Post
Tried a 6 x 4 APC on my LSSPJ motor yesterday instead of my usual 7 x 5 APC.

Obviously the first thing I was going to notice was less thrust, and i did, but it was still flyable. I should have hooked up my ET Logger to get some current data in-flight but I didn't. I like my 7 x 5 APC setup, it just feels better and has more low down response than the 6 x 4. The only reason I would change down to the 6 x 4 is if there is significant current drop giving greater flight times.

I'll do some static comparisons and then dynamic next outing.
What motor are you using... 6x4 need 2000Kv or better
mt_flyer is offline Find More Posts by mt_flyer
Old Nov 12, 2011, 05:49 PM
S.E.Michigan
Joined Jul 2010
2,240 Posts
Quote:
- There is a funny "top heavy" feel to the model at mid speed.
Ihave noticed that about mine every time there is more that 6 or 7 mph winds.... I know its been debated before, and Kadil, I think you were the one that used to just put the battery on the "floor" if you will without a battery shelf? Certainly a trade off for snap rolls, but it really scares me medium speed in a turn to watch the thing want to roll over when I don't want it to.! It's always worse for me when turning upwind to downwind.

The slow approach is most likely the small % of increased lift of the KF panels, its ben proven in the wind tunnel that although they do increase drag, they increase lift too. ( yet another trade-off)
Old Nov 12, 2011, 06:12 PM
Joined Feb 2009
2,111 Posts
Quote:
Ihave noticed that about mine every time there is more that 6 or 7 mph winds.... I know its been debated before, and Kadil, I think you were the one that used to just put the battery on the "floor" if you will without a battery shelf? Certainly a trade off for snap rolls, but it really scares me medium speed in a turn to watch the thing want to roll over when I don't want it to.! It's always worse for me when turning upwind to downwind.

The slow approach is most likely the small % of increased lift of the KF panels, its ben proven in the wind tunnel that although they do increase drag, they increase lift too. ( yet another trade-off)
I will test on a still day and get more practice. If it is a real rather than percieved problem i will use filler to smooth the back edge of the panels and cut out the battery tray like my previous models.

I get enough enjoyment from flying right way up and prefer the model to be more stable than more acrobatically capable. Each to thier own i supppse.
Old Nov 12, 2011, 06:19 PM
S.E.Michigan
Joined Jul 2010
2,240 Posts
If you were gonna try something, I would just do one at a time. I don't think the kf panels have anything to do with the top heavy thing. But I do think they contribute to the slower feeling, and slightly slower stall speed. The later could be a perception thing.
Old Nov 12, 2011, 07:37 PM
Joined Feb 2009
2,111 Posts
Quote:
If you were gonna try something, I would just do one at a time. I don't think the kf panels have anything to do with the top heavy thing. But I do think they contribute to the slower feeling, and slightly slower stall speed. The later could be a perception thing.
agree. One thing at a time. First thing is still day and more practice. No engineering change required. And onboard camera in case a clue is revealed
Old Nov 12, 2011, 08:08 PM
Aussie, Aussie, Aussie!
Melbourne, Australia
Joined Apr 2009
1,190 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by mt_flyer View Post
What motor are you using... 6x4 need 2000Kv or better
Oh it's got plenty of Kv

It's a Little Screamer Super Park Jet motor, 2350Kv (250W)

Did the static tests again

with a 7x5 - 21A WOT
with a 6x4 - 13A WOT

Maybe on days when I'm just shooting ccts I'll fit the 6x4
Old Nov 12, 2011, 10:02 PM
59 years of RC flying
Canada, ON, Ottawa
Joined Feb 2006
16,357 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by nrg2go View Post
Oh it's got plenty of Kv

It's a Little Screamer Super Park Jet motor, 2350Kv (250W)

Did the static tests again

with a 7x5 - 21A WOT
with a 6x4 - 13A WOT

Maybe on days when I'm just shooting ccts I'll fit the 6x4
Something doesn't add up here. The Suppo 2212-6 with 6x4 draws over 20A static and in the air has enough thrust to go straight up. If your motor only draws 13A, there's no wonder the model's performance is anemic. It would be interesting to know what RPM the motor is turning -- with the Suppo it's close to 19,000.

I would suspect that the real KV of the motor is nowhere near 2350.
Daedalus66 is online now Find More Posts by Daedalus66
Old Nov 12, 2011, 10:13 PM
Aussie, Aussie, Aussie!
Melbourne, Australia
Joined Apr 2009
1,190 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Daedalus66 View Post
Something doesn't add up here. The Suppo 2212-6 with 6x4 draws over 20A static and in the air has enough thrust to go straight up. If your motor only draws 13A, there's no wonder the model's performance is anemic. It would be interesting to know what RPM the motor is turning -- with the Suppo it's close to 19,000.

I would suspect that the real KV of the motor is nowhere near 2350.
I will connect up the ET with BL RPM sensor etc and confirm actuals.

Perhaps when I pass judgement on the 6x4 I'm comparing to the 7x5 I have always used. Compared to the 7x5 its just OK. It probably still has vertical performance, just lacks that punchy performance down low at low RPM.

I'll run another static and check the RPM with my optic RPM sensor.
Old Nov 12, 2011, 10:17 PM
59 years of RC flying
Canada, ON, Ottawa
Joined Feb 2006
16,357 Posts
Quote:
it really scares me medium speed in a turn to watch the thing want to roll over when I don't want it to.
I'm really puzzled by this. I've flown the Polaris for three seasons, and had a go with at least a dozen different examples, and never had the slightest sense of roll instability. The only thing I can think of that could give that impression is roll sensitivity caused by excessive aileron throw. I find the recommended 3/4" each way produces a very fast roll rate and I suggest 1/2" (with about 30-35% expo) is plenty for normal flying. In a couple of cases, people who have complained that their Polaris was twitchy found it much more comfortable with the lower throw.
Daedalus66 is online now Find More Posts by Daedalus66