HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Feb 01, 2009, 12:04 PM
Old man in Sweden
Torshälla Sweden
Joined Feb 2008
235 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by G550Ted
Thanks for the reply on the amount of foam used.

By the way, are you sure that the spar is flexed in that still at the end of your video? It may be a bit of optical illusion. I'm sure that you could better determine how much flex it has statically by supporting the model at or near the end of the spar and applying weight to the fuselage area. You hold and have Tomas push down on the top of the fuselage, for example. You may find that it does not need reinforcement. Let us know.

Ted

Yes, I had my suspicions before flying, and I´ve been concerned about the flex in the wings, but I´ve just got a 6mm CF rod from a friend tonight and it´s lot more stiff so I´l change that at first, then fly and check the roll an then if necessary more travel on ailerons, no I´l chamfer the aft edge nice before adjust travel, I´m curios to see if it´l make any difference. Well just to illustrate I take some pictures while writing this and it´s obvious I must do something, just hang it on three points, the one in fron not even as far as it could, looks dangerous, no battery in .
HurriHeli is offline Find More Posts by HurriHeli
to remove ads between posts
Old Feb 01, 2009, 05:14 PM
Row 0, Seat A
Savannah, GA
Joined Jan 2008
2,720 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by HurriHeli
Yes, I had my suspicions before flying, and I´ve been concerned about the flex in the wings, but I´ve just got a 6mm CF rod from a friend tonight and it´s lot more stiff so I´l change that at first, then fly and check the roll an then if necessary more travel on ailerons, no I´l chamfer the aft edge nice before adjust travel, I´m curios to see if it´l make any difference. Well just to illustrate I take some pictures while writing this and it´s obvious I must do something, just hang it on three points, the one in fron not even as far as it could, looks dangerous, no battery in .
Oh yea, definitely too much flex there! What did you use for the spar that is in there now?

Sure flew nice in the video though.
G550Ted is online now Find More Posts by G550Ted
Old Feb 01, 2009, 08:06 PM
Fly now crash later
Canada, ON, Newmarket
Joined Nov 2006
2,248 Posts
Well I couldn't wait.
davecrash is offline Find More Posts by davecrash
Old Feb 01, 2009, 10:41 PM
Park Jet Guru
Seattle, WA
Joined Jun 2002
5,612 Posts
Congrats on the successful maiden, HurriHeli! Thanks for the video.

That wing does look a little soft, but if you don't push the model too hard (speed or g's) my hunch is it'll be OK. But a little strengthening wouldn't be a bad idea. I'm surprised it flexes that much with a 6mm carbon spar, though--that's a pretty strong spar.

Steve
jetset44 is offline Find More Posts by jetset44
Old Feb 02, 2009, 12:48 AM
Old man in Sweden
Torshälla Sweden
Joined Feb 2008
235 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by jetset44
Congrats on the successful maiden, HurriHeli! Thanks for the video.

That wing does look a little soft, but if you don't push the model too hard (speed or g's) my hunch is it'll be OK. But a little strengthening wouldn't be a bad idea. I'm surprised it flexes that much with a 6mm carbon spar, though--that's a pretty strong spar.

Steve
Thanks for the Polaris

No the spar in photo is 5mm and I´ve changed it to 6mm and longer this time, the 5mm was a little short as well, I´l have to see tonight if there´s a change, by the way, my fried who gave me the 6mm CF has a complete set North Star in parts just started build many years ago, so I had a look on the pieces and the drawings and we agreed it is a whole winter project to build it 100-200hrs...Depron/foam is really nice to work with
Old Feb 02, 2009, 01:39 AM
Team LightRC
United States, KY, Berea
Joined Dec 2003
6,682 Posts
Ordered mine today!!
Mchone, Jake is offline Find More Posts by Mchone, Jake
Old Feb 02, 2009, 11:57 AM
Finlande
Joined Dec 2007
422 Posts
Hi

I almost had finished mine . This is my really first build so it was a bit of a challenge to achieve it but everything went quite well till .....

I made yesterday some static tests on that turnigy from HC:

http://www.hobbycity.com/hobbycity/s...less_Outrunner

This is the closest possible motor from HC to the recommanded one and I thought that it would do the job with some 7 inches prop . It could maybe even give more thrust

It started well and a APC sport 7x7 gave me in the 250 W for almost 25 A.

The pylon prop 6.5x6.5 was in the 220 W for 21 A .

Then I tried an other 7x4 . I had noticed that the mount was vibrating quite a lot during the previous tests.

Suddenly the Plywood came apart from the foam and the rotating propeller did cut a part of the base and two wires coming from the motor were sectionned to their base !!!!

I opened the case of the motor but there was to my mind no way to solder the wires back. That motor lived less than 30 s ... Snifff. It seemed to be a nice one.

I used UHU poor glue and epoxy for the buid. Now the plywood was glued only with UhU poor to the foam. That was my mistake . It doesn't glue well between wood and foam . Didn't know that .

Too bad !!! I was so excited when the plane was getting ready and now I have to wait a week or two before I get a new motor ...

This time I ordered the recommanded suppo 2212-06 . Maybe a 6x4 prop will minimize the vibrations that I had with the 7 inch props . I will use epoxy next time and thr mount shouldn't move anymore .

Anyway thanks Steve for the plans and the clear instructions . Even a nob like me managed quite well . Let's say that the wires installation was a bit tricky but with some patience they went in .

I really enjoyed that build and also I haven't flown it yet I am almost ready to start a new one in the 150% scale for exemple . Could be nice with a don's wicked 2700 kV with APC 6x4 . Would be in the 320 W .

This would need some 9 mm depron so I would first need to glue two sheets of 6 and 3mm together .

I'll post pics when it will be ready ..
Jpette is offline Find More Posts by Jpette
Old Feb 02, 2009, 12:16 PM
St. Boondock
Joined Aug 2008
731 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jpette
Hi

I almost had finished mine . This is my really first build so it was a bit of a challenge to achieve it but everything went quite well till .....

This is the closest possible motor from HC to the recommanded one and I thought that it would do the job with some 7 inches prop . It could maybe even give more thrust

It started well and a APC sport 7x7 gave me in the 250 W for almost 25 A.

The pylon prop 6.5x6.5 was in the 220 W for 21 A .

Then I tried an other 7x4 . I had noticed that the mount was vibrating quite a lot during the previous tests.

Suddenly the Plywood came apart from the foam and the rotating propeller did cut a part of the base and two wires coming from the motor were sectionned to their base !!!!

I opened the case of the motor but there was to my mind no way to solder the wires back. That motor lived less than 30 s ... Snifff. It seemed to be a nice one.

I used UHU poor glue and epoxy for the buid. Now the plywood was glued only with UhU poor to the foam. That was my mistake . It doesn't glue well between wood and foam . Didn't know that .

Too bad !!! I was so excited when the plane was getting ready and now I have to wait a week or two before I get a new motor ...

This time I ordered the recommanded suppo 2212-06 . Maybe a 6x4 prop will minimize the vibrations that I had with the 7 inch props . I will use epoxy next time and thr mount shouldn't move anymore .

Anyway thanks Steve for the plans and the clear instructions . Even a nob like me managed quite well . Let's say that the wires installation was a bit tricky but with some patience they went in .

I really enjoyed that build and also I haven't flown it yet I am almost ready to start a new one in the 150% scale for exemple . Could be nice with a don's wicked 2700 kV with APC 6x4 . Would be in the 320 W .

This would need some 9 mm depron so I would first need to glue two sheets of 6 and 3mm together .

I'll post pics when it will be ready ..

I used some CF tubing, about an inch long to 'pin" the motor mount to the foam. I've also added a foam bulkhead behind the plywood. It seemed like a weak point as I was buiding it My modification added very little weight and it's super strong now.
FL Knifemaker is offline Find More Posts by FL Knifemaker
Old Feb 02, 2009, 02:06 PM
Old man in Sweden
Torshälla Sweden
Joined Feb 2008
235 Posts
Much better with 6mm, I should have used it from start but I had 5mm on the shelf and the LHS didn´t have 6 so..... I realize now it´s big difference between 5 and 6, lucky no problem to change it . Interesting to see if there´s any difference in behavior.

Jpette sorry to hear about the "flying motor", I see Knifemaker already answered but I was concerned about the motor mount when build it so I got the advice to use CF sticks see picture below.
Old Feb 02, 2009, 02:20 PM
St. Boondock
Joined Aug 2008
731 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by HurriHeli
Much better with 6mm, I should have used it from start but I had 5mm on the shelf and the LHS didn´t have 6 so..... I realize now it´s big difference between 5 and 6, lucky no problem to change it . Interesting to see if there´s any difference in behavior.

Jpette sorry to hear about the "flying motor", I see Knifemaker already answered but I was concerned about the motor mount when build it so I got the advice to use CF sticks see picture below.
That looks great! I only used 4 pieces of tubing. I could always cut another piece of plywood.......I haven't glued it all up permenantly yet
FL Knifemaker is offline Find More Posts by FL Knifemaker
Old Feb 02, 2009, 03:06 PM
W. NY
Joined Jan 2002
215 Posts
Big Twinky

Quote:
Originally Posted by flicka5
My friends newest foamanized North Star under construction!
Hey, my friend's Big Twinky is ready to fly!
flicka5 is offline Find More Posts by flicka5
Old Feb 02, 2009, 03:09 PM
Fly now crash later
Canada, ON, Newmarket
Joined Nov 2006
2,248 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jpette
Hi

I had the same motor in my order basket then decided to go with the Suppo 2212-06. You did balance your prop?
Sounds like it would be an okay motor for this by your tests.
davecrash is offline Find More Posts by davecrash
Old Feb 02, 2009, 03:19 PM
Sweden
Joined Mar 2006
152 Posts
I did the same with my motormount>> http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showp...&postcount=721
Tomas Dunker is offline Find More Posts by Tomas Dunker
Old Feb 02, 2009, 04:08 PM
Team LightRC
United States, KY, Berea
Joined Dec 2003
6,682 Posts
What glues are everyone useing? Is the GWS contact cement fine for the entire model?
Mchone, Jake is offline Find More Posts by Mchone, Jake
Old Feb 02, 2009, 04:21 PM
Old man in Sweden
Torshälla Sweden
Joined Feb 2008
235 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mchone, Jake
What glues are everyone useing? Is the GWS contact cement fine for the entire model?
Except for the motor mount (epoxy) I use UHU poor, don´t know if you find it "over there" (behind your TX ) but suppose you got some similar, I´m so impressed of UHU Poor it´s so nice to work with, and flex little as the foam. On CF spars glued together I use CA.