HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Jan 23, 2009, 04:59 PM
Northwest Ohio
Joined Jan 2002
2,627 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Foamaholic
Got to maiden mine yesterday, weather finally in the 30's so I could stand to be out more than a minute. Gotta say, what a great flying plane! I mean I can't believe how good it flies, easy and aerobatic, fast and slow, and goes straight up. Thanks so much Steve, Scott, and Laddie for all the work and a great great kit. With all the snow I would be flying nothing and now I can get some flying even in winter. Love you guys.
Congrats on the maiden! I love the tracks in the snow. I have only flown mine on hard pack.

The Polaris is a true 4-season plane!

Scott

www.ModelAero.com
Model Aero is offline Find More Posts by Model Aero
Site Sponsor
to remove ads between posts
Old Jan 23, 2009, 06:15 PM
Fly now crash later
Canada, ON, Newmarket
Joined Nov 2006
2,228 Posts
Been following this thread for a bit and decided to jump in today. order is in.
davecrash is offline Find More Posts by davecrash
Old Jan 23, 2009, 06:34 PM
Electric since 1990
East Central Ohio, United States
Joined Jun 2004
3,733 Posts
I think you will really love it. It's a sweet flyer.
Foamaholic is offline Find More Posts by Foamaholic
Old Jan 24, 2009, 01:33 AM
Park Jet Guru
Seattle, WA
Joined Jun 2002
5,568 Posts
Contrats on the successful maiden, Foamaholic! Nice video, too. Looked great tracking in that fluffy snow...

Steve
jetset44 is offline Find More Posts by jetset44
Old Jan 24, 2009, 06:10 PM
Northwest Ohio
Joined Jan 2002
2,627 Posts
Here's something new I am trying on my Polaris Transport. I mounted a 2208/12 (1800kv) motor with APC 7/5E prop. It draws 16 amps and delivers around 23 oz. of thrust. I am using the Dualsky 1300 GT 25C battery which is a superb battery.

My AUW is 17 oz. I wanted to build it light to take to the E-Fest in Illinois next month. I have not yet flown her but static tests indicate a very good thrust to weight ratio. This might be an option for those who have a bunch of 1300 or 1320 packs and don't want to buy new batteries.

Scott

www.modelAero.com
Model Aero is offline Find More Posts by Model Aero
Site Sponsor
Old Jan 24, 2009, 09:24 PM
Electric since 1990
East Central Ohio, United States
Joined Jun 2004
3,733 Posts
Thanks Steve. Second flight was more aerobatic with a bunch of touch and goes. I was looking for something that I could play with in the snow and this is perfect.
Foamaholic is offline Find More Posts by Foamaholic
Old Jan 24, 2009, 10:10 PM
Fly now crash later
Canada, ON, Newmarket
Joined Nov 2006
2,228 Posts
I have a Suppo 2212-6 but it's in my Maybz F-14 and I like it in there. I can see how this would make the Polaris a fast flyer. I have a few motors around the 1800 kv so I'm curios how this will work for you.
Old Jan 24, 2009, 11:40 PM
CNC Cutter
United States, IN, Indianapolis
Joined Dec 2005
8,290 Posts
Davecrash: this one is about as much fun as the F-14

Swing wings with one and do Touch N Go's with the other !

You put a 2212-6 on your F-14 ??? !!!

Holy crap it must be F A S T !
birdofplay is offline Find More Posts by birdofplay
Old Jan 25, 2009, 12:32 AM
Fly now crash later
Canada, ON, Newmarket
Joined Nov 2006
2,228 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by birdofplay
You put a 2212-6 on your F-14 ??? !!!

Holy crap it must be F A S T !
Oh Yeah, sweep the wings and let her rip. the roll rate is unbelievable.
Old Jan 25, 2009, 09:44 AM
St. Boondock
Joined Aug 2008
731 Posts
My Kit arrived yesterday from ModelAero! It looks fantastic in every respect. I can't wait to get started on it this afternoon. Nice work Scott!!
FL Knifemaker is offline Find More Posts by FL Knifemaker
Old Jan 25, 2009, 10:10 AM
Glow fuel mainliner
Conrad, MT
Joined Jun 2004
14 Posts
Jeez. I just started building 2 more...and ordered enough foam for 5 more...I think I've got Polarisitis.
Deadeye is offline Find More Posts by Deadeye
Old Jan 25, 2009, 12:14 PM
United States, NH, Pembroke
Joined Jan 2007
18 Posts
I have also just started on my Polaris. This is the first time I have made a plane from dupron.....so this is a new adventure for me. Previous models were all balsa and MonoKote construction. I always had an image of foam models to be a "cheap" aircraft, but now I am starting to think differently. The Depron is nice to work with and sands better than balsa IMHO.

I purchased 4 sheets of Depron....I did not realize it only required about 1 and 1/3 sheets, so I may be making 2 more after Polaris 1 is complete

With this being my first Depron model, I do have a question that maybe someone can answer.....

The instructions list using epoxy with microballons.....what are the microballons for? and are they needed only to make the epoxy white? or do they serve as a filler of sorts?

And can I just use epoxy in the instructions that require it....my LHS does not carry the microballons and I hate to place an order if they are not needed.

I have been using the Super 77 adhesive, UHU Creativ and Ultimate RC foam glue so far on the model.

The Ultimate RC foam glue is excellent by the way. It sets up quite quickly and is easily sandable.

Thanks for the assistance.....I'll post some pictures of my Polaris as soon as it is complete.

-Chris
c_cormier is offline Find More Posts by c_cormier
Old Jan 25, 2009, 12:31 PM
Park Jet Guru
Seattle, WA
Joined Jun 2002
5,568 Posts
Chris,
Once you get the Depron bug you'll have a hard time going back to balsa! I certainly did...

The microballons are definitely optional. Their primary purpose is to reduce weight--epoxy mixed with microballons can be half the weight of straight epoxy and just as strong, plus it makes the glue white to match the foam and easier to sand. And it makes the epoxy cure faster. But regular epoxy will work just fine, too, at the cost of only a little more weight (and the Polaris is already so lightweight that it isn't sensitive to that extra weight).

I haven't used Ultimate RC Foam glue, but I've heard very good things about it so I think it will just fine, too.

Let us know how your Polaris turns out!

Steve
Old Jan 25, 2009, 12:50 PM
Fly now crash later
Canada, ON, Newmarket
Joined Nov 2006
2,228 Posts
I have not used epoxy on a depron model yet. I use SUMO and CA.
SUMO expands to 2 or 3 times the amount you put on so use very little. If you think you used to little it was probably too much...LOL.
I used micro ballons once years ago. If I remember correctly I think baby power was the same thing. I'm sure some mature modelers can expand on this.
Your going to be hooked on the stuff and the 3 sheets you have, you will soon find was nowhere near enough.

BTW, you can pick up SUMO at Walmart, Lowes etc.
Old Jan 25, 2009, 01:30 PM
Park Jet Guru
Seattle, WA
Joined Jun 2002
5,568 Posts
Baby powder works also works as a filler, but not as well as microballons. Microballons are tiny glass spheres, which are VERY low density, much lower than baby powder (which is mostly corn starch). It's amazing when you hold a tub of microballons--it feels like the tub is empty! It's hard to sense any weight from even large scoops of microballons.

Sounds like that SUMO glue is similar to Gorilla Glue, right? The reason I don't use Gorilla Glue is it takes so long to dry (overnight). 5 min epoxy with microballons sets in about 3 minutes and is usually completely cured in 20 min. That allows building foam models much quicker.