HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Sep 16, 2008, 02:16 AM
Park Jet Guru
Seattle, WA
Joined Jun 2002
5,616 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by larryross
Jetset44... Has anybody thought about making it a little bigger? I am old and slow I need a plane that is at least 60" and can fly slow. What do you think increasing the size will do to the fly-ability? I thought about doubling the plans, in fact I have them printed. I am in the middle of a couple of builds right now. Sure would like to start this one now. Let me know what you think about doubling the plans to 2x and what problems you think I might run into.

Larry
Sure, if built larger but similarly the wing loading would get even lighter and the model would get slower and easier to fly. Doubling the plans would result in a LARGE airplane for a foam model, but it'll work. Keep in mind the wing loading on this bird is only 8 oz/sq ft as is, which is light even by parkflyer standards! So this model slows down quite well already at the current size, I think. But it'll be even easier to fly at double the size.
jetset44 is offline Find More Posts by jetset44
to remove ads between posts
Old Sep 16, 2008, 02:23 AM
Park Jet Guru
Seattle, WA
Joined Jun 2002
5,616 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tripod333
Hello, i am just starting out in rc flight. i've built an Electric Orange depron cub and one of the epp f22's(out of foamboard). I just added aeilerons to my cub this week, ready to test it out!

my question is...

I seem to have used a similar linkage method as you did on your elevons for my cub's aeilerons. could you post a few details on this part of build? or anyone elses build.

What about any possible modifications for this design for someone who planned on landing in grass only?
Sure, I've posted a few photos of my strip aileron installation below.

As for grass, NO modifications are required except to strengthen the bottom of the fuselage appropriately to withstand the bumps. You could use a couple layers of packing tape (like I did), or go all out and fiberglass the bottom.

Steve
Old Sep 16, 2008, 06:18 AM
Joined Jun 2008
583 Posts
Awsome, that's pretty much the same way i did mine. looks like the same dubro couplers. is your wire threaded? Mine was not, i just scarred the wire and used CA. Should i be worried about using CA in such an important location?

Was any thought given to the legnth of the linkages or was the tight space the deciding factor? What i mean is, if you use a wire/dubro that is the same legnth as your servo arm you get the same degree of travel on the control surface as the servo moves. If you make the wire/dubro shorter than the servo arm you get more degrees of travel on the surface...requireing more torque, ect...such as gear ratios work.

My appologies for asking a question about my plane on your thread. I hope you dont mind as we are using the same build technique. I'm sure other people use this style of linkage but you are only the second i've seen personally.
Tripod333 is offline Find More Posts by Tripod333
Old Sep 16, 2008, 01:56 PM
We shall serve the Lord
United States, TX, Kingsland
Joined Sep 2005
5,157 Posts
Subscribed.
McD
kingsflyer is offline Find More Posts by kingsflyer
RCG Plus Member
Last edited by kingsflyer; Dec 25, 2008 at 10:25 AM.
Old Sep 16, 2008, 02:16 PM
Too lazy to repair!
Round Rock, Tx
Joined Oct 2002
3,396 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by jnida63
Thanks for the post. It looks like this motor is a little bigger than the GBx stuff.

Joe
jperch is offline Find More Posts by jperch
Old Sep 16, 2008, 02:32 PM
Registered FFF Addict
Grand Junction, Colorado
Joined Dec 2007
2,930 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by jetset44
Sure, if built larger but similarly the wing loading would get even lighter and the model would get slower and easier to fly. Doubling the plans would result in a LARGE airplane for a foam model, but it'll work. Keep in mind the wing loading on this bird is only 8 oz/sq ft as is, which is light even by parkflyer standards! So this model slows down quite well already at the current size, I think. But it'll be even easier to fly at double the size.

Great double scale it'll be. As I said I already have the templates printed. I will start on it as soon as I finish the two I am working on now (maybe before ). I can't seem to get one finished before I find another to build at this rate I will never learn to fly them. I will have a huge hanger before I learn to fly.
larryross is offline Find More Posts by larryross
Last edited by larryross; Sep 16, 2008 at 02:39 PM.
Old Sep 16, 2008, 03:36 PM
SG Talon... Super Genius.
Lenox, Michigan
Joined Nov 2005
3,161 Posts
DO NOT USE PINK!!!

I built 1 model out of the pink stuff and it was terrible.

I weighed the foam. 6.5 oz for a 24"x48" sheet of Pink - 4 oz. for a sheet of blue!!!

Plus it is not as strong, the skin changes thickness by about 10x over a single sheet!!! one end it is nearly measurable in thickness the other end is so thin that you can't even peel it!

This is a great design though. I am thinking of building one but my concern is that once my gear is in there it is permanently in there.

I would need to make some modifications to the design so i can get my stuff out when i need them for another plane.
SGTalon is offline Find More Posts by SGTalon
Old Sep 17, 2008, 08:13 AM
Joined Sep 2008
7 Posts
I have a Northstar and I would like to build a Polaris this winter. I haven't built a foam plane before so how do I get a set of plans and the building instructions for the T-38.
Brian, cheadleb@magma.ca
cheadleb is offline Find More Posts by cheadleb
Old Sep 17, 2008, 08:35 AM
Slipping the Surly Bonds
Attica, MI
Joined Dec 2006
10,738 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by cheadleb
I have a Northstar and I would like to build a Polaris this winter. I haven't built a foam plane before so how do I get a set of plans and the building instructions for the T-38.
Brian, cheadleb@magma.ca
Here is the T-38 Plans link

http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showp...0&postcount=14

Not sure where the building instructions are though.

Ken
dz1sfb is offline Find More Posts by dz1sfb
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Mini H Quad Project
Old Sep 17, 2008, 10:07 AM
Pusher jets rule!
Mesa, AZ
Joined Jan 2006
17,676 Posts
Instruction Guides for all of Steve's kits can be found on the 6mmFlyRC website (under "Original Series"). Here's a link to the instructions page:

http://www.6mmflyrc.com/kit-instructions/

Pat
crxmanpat is offline Find More Posts by crxmanpat
Old Sep 17, 2008, 06:17 PM
Time for another motto!
Utrecht, The Netherlands
Joined Jul 2006
1,413 Posts
Bump...
JelleB is offline Find More Posts by JelleB
Old Sep 17, 2008, 06:20 PM
Thermal seeker
Brunswick, Ohio
Joined Jul 2005
566 Posts
I'd like to cut this out on my Phlatprinter when I get it. Have any cad files you wouldn't mind posting to ease the process?

Thanks!
Bohh33 is offline Find More Posts by Bohh33
Old Sep 17, 2008, 11:39 PM
CNC Cutter
United States, IN, Indianapolis
Joined Dec 2005
8,761 Posts
I have a set of dxf files on 3 sheets of depron that I plan to use on my cnc
birdofplay is offline Find More Posts by birdofplay
Old Sep 18, 2008, 12:21 AM
Park Jet Guru
Seattle, WA
Joined Jun 2002
5,616 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bohh33
I'd like to cut this out on my Phlatprinter when I get it. Have any cad files you wouldn't mind posting to ease the process?

Thanks!
Well, actually I just started working with a kit manufacturer to develop a kit of the Polaris, and to help protect their interests I won't be making the CAD files for this design publicly available. I hope you understand.

Stay tuned for more details soon about the new kit!

Steve
Old Sep 18, 2008, 12:23 AM
Park Jet Guru
Seattle, WA
Joined Jun 2002
5,616 Posts
By the way, I've also started developing an illustrated construction guide for the Polaris to support the new kit, and of course once it's done I'll create and post a separate version for the scratchbuilders. Should be done within a week.

Steve