HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Jan 02, 2009, 03:16 PM
Northwest Ohio
Joined Jan 2002
2,672 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by jetset44
Great looking camera, Scott. I, too, am surprised that having that box sticking out on the side like that didn't have a noticeable impact on performance or handing, but maybe it's just in the noise. I bet that dirty air going in the prop made a different sound, though!

You probably already thought of this, but I'd consider simply cutting a square hole on the centerline of the fuselage just behind the hatch, with just the lens of the camera sticking out (still surrounded by soft foam). That way most of the camera would be internal and you could still rotate it 90 degrees in any direction. I quickly drew it up in CAD, and of course it fits easily. You'd have to cut a matching square hole in the front of the wing on the centerline, as well.

Steve
I suppose the camera box does have some effect, but it was impossible to tell on the day I flew. It was very gusty and the plane was getting bounced around pretty good. The motor did sound really bad, though! I thought I had a bearing going out or something, but it must have been the dirty air.

Your idea for mounting the camera would work great, Steve. I just didn't want to cut up my beautiful Polaris #1 And I want to move the camera around and get some footage from different viewpoints.

BTW, I'm currently building Polaris #2 and will use it to test fit the Polaris Transport decal set. I'm going to wire this one up a little different by using one long extension from the motor to the ESC which will reside in the battery compartment. I also plan to put enough extra motor wire in the nacelle so I can easily swap out motors without tearing the nacelle apart!

I have had more fun with this plane than you can imagine!

Scott

www.ModelAero.com
Model Aero is offline Find More Posts by Model Aero
to remove ads between posts
Old Jan 02, 2009, 03:38 PM
new pic, same plane....
Dayton MN
Joined Jan 2008
1,055 Posts
Larryross,
how did you flatten out the blucor on yours? or is it not flattened but the angle it is at makes it look like it is......
sketchanderase is offline Find More Posts by sketchanderase
Old Jan 02, 2009, 03:53 PM
Park Jet Guru
Seattle, WA
Joined Jun 2002
5,612 Posts
Sounds great. I'm eager to see photos of the Polaris Space Transport (sounds like something from a Pixar film, doesn't it?).

Yes, props are sensitive to dirty air going through them--especially at high RPM like the motor/prop setups we use on the Polaris. That's why pushers sound so different from tractor airplanes. In fact, if you listen closely in the snow-flying video I posted, you'll hear the prop making loud whooshy sounds when I fly my Polaris at high alpha--that's from turbulent air coming off the forward fuselage and going through the prop. The thrust drops noticeably at high alpha, too, due to this phenomenon. The Polaris is essentially like a tractor until you get to high alpha (or stick a camera box in front of the prop!).

Steve
jetset44 is offline Find More Posts by jetset44
Old Jan 02, 2009, 05:35 PM
Northwest Ohio
Joined Jan 2002
2,672 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by jetset44
Sounds great. I'm eager to see photos of the Polaris Space Transport (sounds like something from a Pixar film, doesn't it?).

Yes, props are sensitive to dirty air going through them--especially at high RPM like the motor/prop setups we use on the Polaris. That's why pushers sound so different from tractor airplanes. In fact, if you listen closely in the snow-flying video I posted, you'll hear the prop making loud whooshy sounds when I fly my Polaris at high alpha--that's from turbulent air coming off the forward fuselage and going through the prop. The thrust drops noticeably at high alpha, too, due to this phenomenon. The Polaris is essentially like a tractor until you get to high alpha (or stick a camera box in front of the prop!).

Steve
LOL, it definitely sounds weird with the camera box on it! It never occurred to me it was because of disturbed air into the prop.

I learned something from Steve today.

Scott

www.ModelAero.com
Old Jan 03, 2009, 02:40 PM
United States, NY, Strykersville
Joined Feb 2007
165 Posts
Well my big day finally came. I flew my Polaris for the first time All went well the plane flew very smooth. The day was bright sunshine but windy. I couldn't wait any longer, I had to try a flight. I need to make some adjustments with my radio but the plane flew great and It's home in one piece Good luck to all that build this plane.

Thanks Scott for a great kit and Steve for the design.
chris butcher is online now Find More Posts by chris butcher
Old Jan 03, 2009, 04:54 PM
Northwest Ohio
Joined Jan 2002
2,672 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by chris butcher
Well my big day finally came. I flew my Polaris for the first time All went well the plane flew very smooth. The day was bright sunshine but windy. I couldn't wait any longer, I had to try a flight. I need to make some adjustments with my radio but the plane flew great and It's home in one piece Good luck to all that build this plane.

Thanks Scott for a great kit and Steve for the design.
Way to go Chris! I know how bad you've wanted to fly it. Glad you got your maiden out of the way and the Polaris back in one piece!

Scott

www.ModelAero.com
Old Jan 03, 2009, 05:10 PM
Park Jet Guru
Seattle, WA
Joined Jun 2002
5,612 Posts
Congrats, Chris! Glad to hear it flew well.
Old Jan 03, 2009, 05:39 PM
Glow fuel mainliner
Conrad, MT
Joined Jun 2004
14 Posts
Hey guys. I just put mine together, and I had it working and was putting it around the snow in the back yard. Now, the ESC won't arm itself. My radio is the Futaba 9C, and I'm using the Suppo sp-30a and the motor included in the kit. I haven't even got full throttle out of it yet, as our snow is powder and the Depron floats right over it fine. What am I doing wrong? I did nothing to my radio between the first drive in the snow and an hour later when I went to try it agian. ESC has seen a total run time of less than 5 minutes.

I tried moving my throttle to full, but still get nothing.
Deadeye is offline Find More Posts by Deadeye
Old Jan 03, 2009, 05:46 PM
new pic, same plane....
Dayton MN
Joined Jan 2008
1,055 Posts
sometimes when I use MY escs in water or snow they get wet and don't work properly....
Is the esc making the motor jerk really slightly or just not doing anything? if it is jerking it is probably just wet and needs to dry out.....if not then I don't know how to help you....
sketchanderase is offline Find More Posts by sketchanderase
Old Jan 03, 2009, 06:15 PM
Park Jet Guru
Seattle, WA
Joined Jun 2002
5,612 Posts
Deadeye,
Try setting your transmitter to idle and then plugging the ESC into the battery. I haven't tried the Suppo ESC, but the Grayson ESC I think is similar and it assumes the throttle is at idle when it's first plugged in.

Steve
Old Jan 03, 2009, 11:34 PM
Northwest Ohio
Joined Jan 2002
2,672 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Deadeye
Hey guys. I just put mine together, and I had it working and was putting it around the snow in the back yard. Now, the ESC won't arm itself. My radio is the Futaba 9C, and I'm using the Suppo sp-30a and the motor included in the kit. I haven't even got full throttle out of it yet, as our snow is powder and the Depron floats right over it fine. What am I doing wrong? I did nothing to my radio between the first drive in the snow and an hour later when I went to try it agian. ESC has seen a total run time of less than 5 minutes.

Try the suggestions here on the forum, and if you can't get it working PM me and I'll send you a new ESC. These ESC's have been trouble free but it's possible you got a stinker.

Make sure your trim is set to neutral on the throttle and the stick is full idle when you plug in the batt. And make sure you have a fully charged battery.

Scott

www.ModelAero.com
Old Jan 04, 2009, 03:07 AM
Old man in Sweden
Torshälla Sweden
Joined Feb 2008
235 Posts
Programming 100% throttle.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deadeye

Have you programmed the ESC so itīl know were full throttle is?
All ESCīs have to be told what your TX think is zero & full throttle.
Turn power on as usual but with thottle stick in max/full, this is first step in programming, but after some signals pull stick down to zero, then it should be ready, give you OK signal and you can fly, be sure to have throttle trimm in TX at 100% beforethis. Sometimes you even have to trim throttle down below zero to get ESC satisfied. All ESCīs Iīve purchased has this steps in the manual, and many donīt bother, itīl work as they think OK any way, but they donīt know if they got 100% throttle at full stick
HurriHeli is offline Find More Posts by HurriHeli
Old Jan 04, 2009, 05:47 PM
CNC Cutter
United States, IN, Indianapolis
Joined Dec 2005
8,680 Posts
Well, it's been a long time coming but , I finished it.

Of course WE KNOW what the Northwest weather predictions
are for the next week +, so the maiden may be weeks away :-(

I used colored packing tape as opposed to the standard decals.
I'm only 40 miles from Cape D on the Columbia so I HAD to do the CG scheme.

The bottom even got a coating of the white tape for slickness,
strength and water proofing.
Nice also that the Spectrum decals were in the same Color Scheme.

I CNC cut my own parts per plans - thank you Steve.

It came out just under 20 oz but the motor will more than hover it
out of hand, here in the shop. Thats with a big 1700 3s1p 25C lipo.
The very effective rudder has allowed me to taxi around on the carpet
and even down the hall back to the shop.

I noted some vibrations and had to Rebalance the prop.
I guess that motor arraingment really shows up out any of balance issues.

I had one of the Originals back in the 80's
Cant wait to try THIS one out :-)
birdofplay is offline Find More Posts by birdofplay
Last edited by birdofplay; Jan 04, 2009 at 05:58 PM.
Old Jan 04, 2009, 06:03 PM
St. Boondock
Joined Aug 2008
731 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by birdofplay
Well, it's been a long time coming but , I finished it.

Of course WE KNOW what the Northwest weather predictions
are for the next week +, so the maiden may be weeks away :-(

I used colored packing tape as opposed to the standard decals.
I'm only 40 miles from Cape D on the Columbia so I HAD to do the CG scheme.

The bottom even got a coating of the white tape for slickness,
strength and water proofing.
Nice also that the Spectrum decals were in the same Color Scheme.

I CNC cut my own parts per plans - thank you Steve.

It came out just under 20 oz but the motor will more than hover it
out of hand, here in the shop. Thats with a big 1700 3s1p 25C lipo.
The very effective rudder has allowed me to taxi around on the carpet
and even down the hall back to the shop.

I noted some vibrations and had to Rebalance the prop.
I guess that motor arraingment really shows up out any of balance issues.

I had one of the Originals back in the 80's
Cant wait to try THIS one out :-)

Nicely done!! I'm going to buy the kit as soon as I finish my current project. Hopefully in a week or two.
FL Knifemaker is offline Find More Posts by FL Knifemaker
Old Jan 04, 2009, 06:14 PM
Electric since 1990
East Central Ohio, United States
Joined Jun 2004
3,736 Posts
I'm roughly half through the build of the kit. Can't wait to fly this one.
Foamaholic is offline Find More Posts by Foamaholic