HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Jul 30, 2010, 11:25 PM
Novato, CA
Joined Dec 2008
693 Posts
Hey guys, I'm experimenting with a "mono block" foam design on a 75% Polaris. I wanted to build another one since my Polaris 1 is pretty full of glue. I know some guys have made a 75% size with varied results. The mono block seems to be working out pretty well and makes the build go pretty fast. I plan on carving away a lot of the inner fuselage to save weight.

By the way don't tell Captgeek I'm doing this, he'll just give me a bad time, and don't let Tape Man Kadil know either!

AA
AirmanAirhead is offline Find More Posts by AirmanAirhead
to remove ads between posts
Old Jul 30, 2010, 11:38 PM
Novato, CA
Joined Dec 2008
693 Posts
Kadil,

Did you indeed build a 75% Polaris? If so, how did you fair with it?

AA
AirmanAirhead is offline Find More Posts by AirmanAirhead
Old Jul 30, 2010, 11:51 PM
unconventional :-)
Brisbane north, Australia
Joined Feb 2009
2,111 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by AirmanAirhead View Post
Hey guys, I'm experimenting with a "mono block" foam design on a 75% Polaris. I wanted to build another one since my Polaris 1 is pretty full of glue. I know some guys have made a 75% size with varied results. The mono block seems to be working out pretty well and makes the build go pretty fast. I plan on carving away a lot of the inner fuselage to save weight.

By the way don't tell Captgeek I'm doing this, he'll just give me a bad time, and don't let Tape Man Kadil know either!

AA
Bwahahahahaha

Airman Monoblock

My work here is done!

Signed
Tapeman
kadil is offline Find More Posts by kadil
Old Jul 30, 2010, 11:52 PM
Joined Feb 2009
2,111 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by AirmanAirhead View Post
Kadil,

Did you indeed build a 75% Polaris? If so, how did you fair with it?

AA
I am so ready to start, but not started.
Old Jul 31, 2010, 12:03 AM
Novice builder and flyer!
brisbane australia
Joined Mar 2007
320 Posts
Just desecrated the Polaris design a bit more as is my way.

Cut another hatch in the top to ease access, added a third gyro (I know, I know!) and tidied up the wiring a little.

Fly tomorrow and tell you how it goes if there is any interest.

-Gary
gmphoto is offline Find More Posts by gmphoto
Old Jul 31, 2010, 12:17 AM
Joined Feb 2009
2,111 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by gmphoto View Post
Just desecrated the Polaris design a bit more as is my way.

Cut another hatch in the top to ease access, added a third gyro (I know, I know!) and tidied up the wiring a little.

Fly tomorrow and tell you how it goes if there is any interest.

-Gary
Third Gyro, is that almost autopilot? If you bought the gyro online, can you please pm me the link? I think I am going to need it on my 75%. I really want a small polaris so I am still considering with a 68% instead on the 75% planned. At that size I expect I will need gyro assist.

PS nice shiny bits
Old Jul 31, 2010, 12:50 AM
Joined Feb 2009
2,111 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by mavlo77 View Post
BTW today I was testing my receiver, and moved the battery a bit...

Suddenly lots of smoke from the battery. No good at a wooden desk!!!! It stopped from itself.. I moved it outside as quick as I could, and then opened up the battery... An internal short of one cell (one cell was 0.00V, the rest 4.17V).... Was I Chineese 2 pieces for 12 USD ebay battery...

So guys be careful.
Mark,

Today I was luckier than you. I setup one of my batteries on the charger and a few minutes later the charger beeped like when it has finished charging. So I thought I mixed up the charged and uncharged batteries. Then I noticed one of the balance wires was detached at the battery end.

It did not appear to be a bad solder joint, and it was a good quality battery as well. It is difficult to know what caused most of this damaged. These wires do bend awkwardly when fitted in the model, and there have been a few impacts over time.

It could have been worse I guess. I unpacked the battery, soldered it back on and TAPED it back up again (Airman Monoblock take note, another application for tape ) Ready to fly tomorrow!
Old Jul 31, 2010, 02:31 AM
Novice builder and flyer!
brisbane australia
Joined Mar 2007
320 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by kadil View Post
Third Gyro, is that almost autopilot? If you bought the gyro online, can you please pm me the link? I think I am going to need it on my 75%. I really want a small polaris so I am still considering with a 68% instead on the 75% planned. At that size I expect I will need gyro assist.

PS nice shiny bits
Thanks for the comment re the shiny bits...need them more and more as you get older!

And, noooooo, it is NOT "almost an autopilot". More like cruise control.

Seriously those gyros are just spares from my futile and ridiculous attempts to learn how to fly a helicopter! Just do a search on the bay for esky gyro and don't spend too much and watch the weight.

Remember I am only doing this to annoy the purists!

Nah, I just enjoy tinkering.

See you at the flying field eventually kadil.

-Gary
gmphoto is offline Find More Posts by gmphoto
Old Jul 31, 2010, 03:19 AM
The Netherlands
Joined Oct 2008
1,224 Posts
Quote:
Mark,

Today I was luckier than you. I setup one of my batteries on the charger and a few minutes later the charger beeped like when it has finished charging. So I thought I mixed up the charged and uncharged batteries. Then I noticed one of the balance wires was detached at the battery end.

It did not appear to be a bad solder joint, and it was a good quality battery as well. It is difficult to know what caused most of this damaged. These wires do bend awkwardly when fitted in the model, and there have been a few impacts over time.

It could have been worse I guess. I unpacked the battery, soldered it back on and TAPED it back up again (Airman Monoblock take note, another application for tape ) Ready to fly tomorrow!
Hi Kim... I taped all my balancer leads to the side of the battery so that the joints are not stressed anymore... I also had this a couple of times... The small balancer wires can easily break on the solder joints (weak point). Can be quite dangerous, a loose balancer wire (can short with another one).
mavlo77 is offline Find More Posts by mavlo77
Old Jul 31, 2010, 03:39 AM
Joined Feb 2009
2,111 Posts
Quote:
Thanks for the comment re the shiny bits...need them more and more as you get older!

And, noooooo, it is NOT "almost an autopilot". More like cruise control.

Seriously those gyros are just spares from my futile and ridiculous attempts to learn how to fly a helicopter! Just do a search on the bay for esky gyro and don't spend too much and watch the weight.

Remember I am only doing this to annoy the purists!

Nah, I just enjoy tinkering.

See you at the flying field eventually kadil.

-Gary
Gary - Sorry, I thought it was your turn

Mark- the wires are so short on the balancer plug, It would be difficult to use if they were ant shorter
Old Jul 31, 2010, 05:05 AM
Joined Feb 2009
2,111 Posts
Quote:
....................Just do a search on the bay for esky gyro and don't spend too much and watch the weight...................
-Gary
I bought 2 x EK2-0704 gyro Esky helicopter Honey king 2 Belt cp on ebay. I bought 2 by mistake, only actually wanted 1, but I guess it is good to have a spare.

I also have a switch so maybe I can switch it on and off via a channel like landing gear.

Now nrg2go suggested if I were to mount a gyro, I should mount it on rudder, not ailerons; my uninformed instinct says ailerons, your thoughts?

I will mounting the gyro only to compensate my slow reflexes flying a small (hence twitchy) polaris. I am leaning towards 68%, especially with the gryo just ordered.

Purists need not reply
Old Jul 31, 2010, 05:13 AM
The Netherlands
Joined Oct 2008
1,224 Posts
I have experimented with gyro in aileron. I could not set it too sensitive with the gain as it created a large drift in trim when warming up.... No so nice that when you switch on your gyro in flight, the Polaris banks to 90....

So with conservative gyro gain in the ailerons you can land with a bit more confidence in windy conditions with lots of turbulences. It reduces the quick roll movements...

Not experimented yet with rudder compensation. Could work aswell... The rudder also induces some roll... And in strong wind you see ofthen the tail wagging like a dog!
mavlo77 is offline Find More Posts by mavlo77
Old Jul 31, 2010, 05:19 AM
Joined Feb 2009
2,111 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by mavlo77 View Post
I have experimented with gyro in aileron. I could not set it too sensitive with the gain as it created a large drift in trim when warming up.... No so nice that when you switch on your gyro in flight, the Polaris banks to 90....

So with conservative gyro gain in the ailerons you can land with a bit more confidence in windy conditions with lots of turbulences. It reduces the quick roll movements...

Not experimented yet with rudder compensation. Could work aswell... The rudder also induces some roll... And in strong wind you see ofthen the tail wagging like a dog!
it would be interesting also to know the difference with gyro and smaller throws( like my beginner settings). Would this be like setting the gain lower?
Old Jul 31, 2010, 06:58 AM
60 years of RC flying
Canada, ON, Ottawa
Joined Feb 2006
16,468 Posts
Quote:
Keep it light and you wont need gyros. Keep in mind that a 2/3 size Polaris must weigh less than 10oz to have similar wing loading to the regular size model, so there's not much allowance for extra electronics.
Daedalus66 is online now Find More Posts by Daedalus66
Old Jul 31, 2010, 07:14 AM
Joined Feb 2009
2,111 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Daedalus66 View Post
Keep it light and you wont need gyros. Keep in mind that a 2/3 size Polaris must weigh less than 10oz to have similar wing loading to the regular size model, so there's not much allowance for extra electronics.
hmmm, I will have to add it all up when the parts get here.

I am going to leave off the rudder control ( I only fly off grass) and and move the elevator servo back to the main fuse servo tray with a tube & wire control rod. That will save some weight.

my full size polaris was only 16 oz, hopefully this one will get down to 10oz with Cruise Control onboard