Latest blog entry: The family continues to grow
to remove ads between posts
Old Jul 13, 2010, 10:33 PM
Joined Feb 2010
358 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by FIXXIN2FLY View Post
Epoxy is too heavy for these birds..... The glue of choice for me is the UHUpor
I tried testing UHU, the local version here and found it did not waterproof the test box I made. So I still use epoxy for the lower fuselage. The upper fuselage and other parts that do not need a waterproof chamber, I use Uhu.
Flatbus is offline Find More Posts by Flatbus
Old Jul 13, 2010, 10:38 PM
FLY ANGRY
United States, IL, Roscoe
Joined Jul 2008
4,960 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Flatbus View Post
I tried testing UHU, the local version here and found it did not waterproof the test box I made. So I still use epoxy for the lower fuselage. The upper fuselage and other parts that do not need a waterproof chamber, I use Uhu.
I use a lightweight spackle and poly as a finish coat on the finished product and have found it to be quite "water resistant' when finished. I guess its all in how ya look at it. Good luck with the "water proof" tho.
If you do the "liquid tape dip" method on the esc you really dont have to worry about the "waterproof" as the foam is very bouyant and the plane isnt going to fill up with water
FIXXIN2FLY is offline Find More Posts by FIXXIN2FLY
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: The family continues to grow
Old Jul 13, 2010, 10:46 PM
Joined Feb 2010
358 Posts
It's not the electronics I'm concerned about. It's water seeping into the lower chambers. It won't be nice having water sloshing around changing the CoG. This has happened to a few people here as they have posted.
Old Jul 13, 2010, 10:55 PM
Northwest Ohio
Joined Jan 2002
2,645 Posts
Quote:
Do you do any finishing, sanding the edges, cosmetic work? Does that include the stickers?
I finish sand the edges using a concave sanding block. I don't fully round them. I find this looks pleasing to my eye. I always use decals and there is no need to do any sanding or prep work on the foam other than the edges. I use packing tape to clean the foam prior to laying the decals. This does a great job of removing dust.

I use 5 or 15 minute epoxy on all the carbon and wood pieces, Elmer's spray on the laminations and strips, and Bob Smith thick CA for everything else, and I take great care to avoid excess glue from getting where it doesn't belong.

Scott

www.ModelAero.com
Model Aero is offline Find More Posts by Model Aero
Old Jul 13, 2010, 11:02 PM
Joined Feb 2010
358 Posts
Thanks for the info Scott. The thick CA gives a total waterproof sealed fuselage chamber?
Old Jul 13, 2010, 11:11 PM
KJ4YNM
Manassas, VA
Joined Sep 2006
1,406 Posts
Quote:
It's not the electronics I'm concerned about. It's water seeping into the lower chambers. It won't be nice having water sloshing around changing the CoG. This has happened to a few people here as they have posted.
I remember when I was 16, I visited my brother in the AF. He was crew chief on a C130 flight simulator. I did pretty good flying. That is until the "elephant" in the back broke loose and started running back and forth!
--
Tom
RCPtero is offline Find More Posts by RCPtero
Old Jul 13, 2010, 11:22 PM
Did ya'll see that?!?
Elizabethtown, NC
Joined Mar 2009
365 Posts
For the majority of the build I use BSI Super Gold+ foam safe CA. I have not had a problem with water getting into the lower fuselage.

For laminating the nose, wing floats, and vertical stab I use Fabri-Tac which I get in the craft department at Walmart. From what I can tell it is the same glue as the Ultimate RC Foam Glue that Yardbird RC used to sell. Works great and less mess than aerosol contact cements.

I only use epoxy at the base of the vertical stab and the motor mount.
Tony A. is offline Find More Posts by Tony A.
Last edited by Tony A.; Jul 14, 2010 at 09:25 AM.
Old Jul 14, 2010, 08:24 AM
Northwest Ohio
Joined Jan 2002
2,645 Posts
Quote:
Thanks for the info Scott. The thick CA gives a total waterproof sealed fuselage chamber?
After attaching the large fuse bottom piece, I run a bead of thick CA around the inside of the fuse, where the bottom and sides meet.

The only area I have ever seen leakage is in the aft lower fuse where the servos are, and that's because I had the piece taped on and didn't check it thoroughly. Usually I still tape this piece on, but apply little latex caulk at each end to seal it up.

Scott

www.ModelAero.com
Old Jul 14, 2010, 09:44 AM
Work....fly, repeat...
Fredericksburg, Virginia
Joined Jul 2008
1,601 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Model Aero View Post
After attaching the large fuse bottom piece, I run a bead of thick CA around the inside of the fuse, where the bottom and sides meet.

The only area I have ever seen leakage is in the aft lower fuse where the servos are, and that's because I had the piece taped on and didn't check it thoroughly. Usually I still tape this piece on, but apply little latex caulk at each end to seal it up.

Scott

www.ModelAero.com
I did the same with most seams from the inside, and sometimes on the outside, with clear silicone sealant. Seemed to work ok but probably waaay too heavy. Sure looked sealed up tight.

Scott...you wouldn't have a partial kit laying around would you? I think I can salvage the whole tail structure and just mount on a new fuse and wing.

If you do or don't, do you think that will work??
Thanks
AeroRecon is offline Find More Posts by AeroRecon
Old Jul 14, 2010, 03:43 PM
The Netherlands
Joined Oct 2008
1,224 Posts
Hi, another technical incident. Just after take off, throttle stayed at 50%... Didn't respond to the Tx. After some more fiddling with the throttle stick, the motor stopped........

But I was still way to low to do anything, so I again went into a spin, and went down in a spiral again in 2 meters long grass.........

Again lucky as only one stick penetrated the wing. That's all damage. Nothing else.

There was more damage to my body after crawling through meters and meters of mud and reed/grass.

As this happened several times befor, I now first check what could be wrong.

I still suspect my ESC... (Super Brain Turnigy).

But what about my Spektrum Rx? Maybe after it was soaked, it gives erratic signals.

Also my aileron trim changes during the flight. Quite a lot: maybe 5 mm deflection over 5 minutes!!

Quite strange problems, which I never have seen with my older (still flying and in good shape) Polaris..... For some reason I don't fly so relax, as you are continuously aware of what can go wrong next time. So I fly with my older Polaris from now on.
mavlo77 is offline Find More Posts by mavlo77
Old Jul 14, 2010, 04:12 PM
Novice builder and flyer!
brisbane australia
Joined Mar 2007
320 Posts
Quote:
I build a few for local pick-up and charge around $325 RX ready. I'm just not comfortable trying to ship these and the cost would be high.

Scott

www.ModelAero.com
Quote:
I can build a Polaris in about 10 hours. Believe me I no longer need the construction guide.

Between the Polaris, Aqua Cat, and Aqua Jet, I have built roughly 22 planes. It's still a very enjoyable build.

Scott

www.ModelAero.com
Scott, that makes a prebuilt Polaris - crafted by the kit producer to the finest quality, almost ready to fly - the absolute bargain of the rc modelling world! Bar none!

-Gary
gmphoto is offline Find More Posts by gmphoto
Old Jul 14, 2010, 04:22 PM
master of the universe
USA, CA, Novato
Joined Jul 2008
3,082 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by gmphoto View Post
Scott, that makes a prebuilt Polaris - crafted by the kit producer to the finest quality, almost ready to fly - the absolute bargain of the rc modelling world! Bar none!

-Gary
totally agree with that one. like i said, i would charge double that.
captaingeek is offline Find More Posts by captaingeek
Old Jul 14, 2010, 06:33 PM
Northwest Ohio
Joined Jan 2002
2,645 Posts
Thanks guys. Some think it's too much but when you factor in the build time it really is not a bad deal and the hourly rate is pretty cheap!!!

Scott

www.ModelAero.com
Old Jul 14, 2010, 06:44 PM
Novice builder and flyer!
brisbane australia
Joined Mar 2007
320 Posts
Quote:
Thanks guys. Some think it's too much but when you factor in the build time it really is not a bad deal and the hourly rate is pretty cheap!!!

Scott

www.ModelAero.com
How long is the warranty against crashes valid for?

-Gary
gmphoto is offline Find More Posts by gmphoto