HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Sep 14, 2008, 10:33 PM
Park Jet Guru
Seattle, WA
Joined Jun 2002
5,608 Posts
Glad to see birds coming together! Yes, jnida, I neglected to mention this isn't a beginners build but probably should of. It's a pretty simple design overall, but has a few steps where some RC model and foam-building experience would definitely be helpful. If you've built a park jet before, though, this should be easy.

Steve
jetset44 is offline Find More Posts by jetset44
to remove ads between posts
Old Sep 14, 2008, 10:49 PM
Park Jet Guru
Seattle, WA
Joined Jun 2002
5,608 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by praymond
I know that this plane weighs about 20oz, but was wondering if there is a power combo that would fly it off water, keeping the speed below 70 mph, and the amps lower-- around 15 amps?

Will it ROW at less than full throttle?

{aul
Yes, mine will definitely ROW at less than full throttle. In fact, with the Grayson motor I spend very little time at full throttle--this setup definitely has GOBS of power for this size model!

It would tough to find a motor that would do well in this model at under 15 amps. I think your best bet would be to use a Littlescreamers Super Park Jet and 6x5.5 prop. That would draw about 16 amps and provide plenty of thrust and speed (compared to the Grayson motor I used, it would have a little less static thrust and a little more top speed). That same motor with a 7x5 prop draws 19 amps and provides identical perfomance as the Grayson 2212-06, which is also a great setup (but higher current draw than you're aiming for).

Steve
Old Sep 14, 2008, 11:02 PM
Pusher jets rule!
Mesa, AZ
Joined Jan 2006
17,203 Posts
Mine is in progress as well, but a little bit behind jnida and Dudley. I'm taking my time on the tail as I don't want to goof it at all. My TowerPro 9g servo is slightly larger than what Steve used, so I'm having to use some creative cutting to make it all fit together good.

Pat
crxmanpat is online now Find More Posts by crxmanpat
Old Sep 15, 2008, 07:29 AM
Too lazy to repair!
Round Rock, Tx
Joined Oct 2002
3,396 Posts
I appreciate all the help everyone has provided with the fuse length and tape info.

Now I have one more question. Can anyone provide some dimensional details on the Super Park Jet motor or the Grayson motor?

The reason I ask is that I was thinking of using some parts I have laying around to build a motor. I have some Go Brushless GBx parts. Does that sound like about the right size or am I barking up the wrong tree?

Thanks,
Joe
jperch is offline Find More Posts by jperch
Old Sep 15, 2008, 07:57 AM
Slipping the Surly Bonds
Attica, MI
Joined Dec 2006
10,457 Posts
Great job Steve!

This is definitely on the must build list.

Ken
dz1sfb is offline Find More Posts by dz1sfb
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Mini H Quad Project
Old Sep 15, 2008, 07:58 AM
Columbus, Ohio
Joined Jun 2005
437 Posts
http://www.graysonhobby.com/catalog/...roducts_id=398
jnida63 is offline Find More Posts by jnida63
Old Sep 15, 2008, 04:22 PM
Pusher jets rule!
Mesa, AZ
Joined Jan 2006
17,203 Posts
A tip for future builders. Run your motor wires through the vertical stab slot before progressing too far with assembly of the vertical and motor pod. Otherwise, you're going to play hell getting them in there afterwards.

Since the wires from the ESC to the motor will have to be extended, I'm going to run blank wires through the vertical and then connect the 3mm bullets at the motor end, hook up the motor, and then terminate the other ends at the ESC after cutting them the appropriate length. Don't know yet if I'll put bullets on the ESC end, or just solder the wires directly.

It's also a good idea to check motor spin direction before closing up the pod as well, so that wires can be swapped if needed.

Pat
Old Sep 15, 2008, 06:11 PM
Park Jet Guru
Seattle, WA
Joined Jun 2002
5,608 Posts
Ahh, I can see you've gotten to the most challenging part of building this model, Pat! Plumbing all the wires and pushrods through the back end is a bit of a challenge due to the tight quarters, but can be done with a little forethought. I installed the motor bullet connecters first, then ran the motor wires down from the top of the vertical tail, clipped them to length, and then soldered them to the ESC. Pretty close to what you've done.

Perhaps I'll post some close-up pictures later tonight showing how I installed the systems in the back end to give folks a better idea. I have no doubt some of you will figure out an even better way to do it, though. And I'll be eager to see what they come up with.

Steve
Old Sep 15, 2008, 06:33 PM
Pusher jets rule!
Mesa, AZ
Joined Jan 2006
17,203 Posts
Steve,

I haven't quite gotten there yet, but I've been running the scenarios through my mind and trying to outline precisely what needs to be done and when while assembling this part of the model. And good call on the bullets. Best to solder them up on the motor side first before running them down the channel so that you don't melt any foam while soldering.

Your pictures above have helped a lot. Some more detailed pics on this part of the build would be greatly appreciated. I'll add a few of my own on how I accomplished some items in this area.

Pat
Old Sep 15, 2008, 07:28 PM
Say when.....
United States, MO, Hillsboro
Joined Sep 2005
1,389 Posts
I have a 2212-06 and speed control sitting idle right now. I have a couple questions for you foam bashers. I am an experienced builder, but have never built anything from flat foam or depron before. The local DIY stores carry Owens Corning brand(I know, it's pink, whaddya gonna do...) Foamular150 in 1/2" through 2" as well as the 1/4" fanfold. Is this material suitable for building this model? Is there any special preparation that needs to be done to it? What types of adhesives can be used on it? A question for Steve... Do you think this model would benefit from a KF leading edge airfoil, or is it just more weight?

Thanks in advance for any help!

Congrats Steve on a great looking bird!! I hope to be flying one next spring.

--quigley
quigley257 is offline Find More Posts by quigley257
Old Sep 15, 2008, 07:38 PM
Northwest Ohio
Joined Jan 2002
2,669 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by quigley257
I have a 2212-06 and speed control sitting idle right now. I have a couple questions for you foam bashers. I am an experienced builder, but have never built anything from flat foam or depron before. The local DIY stores carry Owens Corning brand(I know, it's pink, whaddya gonna do...) Foamular150 in 1/2" through 2" as well as the 1/4" fanfold. Is this material suitable for building this model? Is there any special preparation that needs to be done to it? What types of adhesives can be used on it? A question for Steve... Do you think this model would benefit from a KF leading edge airfoil, or is it just more weight?

Thanks in advance for any help!

Congrats Steve on a great looking bird!! I hope to be flying one next spring.

--quigley
My experience with the pink foam is that it isn't nearly as good as the blue fanfold. The blue would be fine to build her, and foam safe CA, Ultimate RC Foam Glue, or epoxy will work fine.

But a bird this nice deserves to be made of Depron!
Model Aero is online now Find More Posts by Model Aero
Old Sep 15, 2008, 08:02 PM
Registered FFF Addict
Grand Junction, Colorado
Joined Dec 2007
2,930 Posts
Jetset44... Has anybody thought about making it a little bigger? I am old and slow I need a plane that is at least 60" and can fly slow. What do you think increasing the size will do to the fly-ability? I thought about doubling the plans, in fact I have them printed. I am in the middle of a couple of builds right now. Sure would like to start this one now. Let me know what you think about doubling the plans to 2x and what problems you think I might run into.

Larry
larryross is offline Find More Posts by larryross
Old Sep 15, 2008, 11:38 PM
Pusher jets rule!
Mesa, AZ
Joined Jan 2006
17,203 Posts
Tailplane and motor pod construction

OK, so here's what I was up to tonight. As promised, I took some detailed pics of what I did. Steve, please feel free to comment on my methods and suggest any tips that I may have overlooked.

This process starts after having glued the two vertical tail base side pieces to the vertical tail base center piece, securing the rudder servo, and attaching the nacelle bottom piece.

Pat
Old Sep 16, 2008, 12:35 AM
Joined Jun 2008
583 Posts
Hello, i am just starting out in rc flight. i've built an Electric Orange depron cub and one of the epp f22's(out of foamboard). I just added aeilerons to my cub this week, ready to test it out!

my question is...

I seem to have used a similar linkage method as you did on your elevons for my cub's aeilerons. could you post a few details on this part of build? or anyone elses build.

What about any possible modifications for this design for someone who planned on landing in grass only?
Tripod333 is offline Find More Posts by Tripod333