to remove ads between posts
Old Nov 06, 2008, 01:41 AM
Registered FFF Addict
Grand Junction, Colorado
Joined Dec 2007
2,930 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by jetset44
larry - That 2X version looks great so far! Keep us updated on your progress.

laddie - Thanks for the details of your setup!
Thanks
Well I didn't think there was any interest. I'll gladly post progress though it could be slow.
larryross is offline Find More Posts by larryross
Old Nov 06, 2008, 08:48 AM
DUNDAS CANADA
Joined Feb 2006
564 Posts
Steve. I am showing the picture of the nose. I enhanced glue join lines with the pencil so it is easier to see in the picture. As can be seen I did not use the foam block, I just continued with the sides to the end point.
LADDIE is online now Find More Posts by LADDIE
Old Nov 06, 2008, 08:57 AM
Retired and Lovin' it!
United States, KY, Sturgis
Joined Jul 2007
2,558 Posts
Looks good Laddie. And what do I see in the background? From what little I can see, it looks very nice.

Tony
TPfingston is offline Find More Posts by TPfingston
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: North Las Vegas 1971
Old Nov 06, 2008, 11:16 AM
Sverige, Västra Götalands Län, Trollhättan
Joined Oct 2006
393 Posts
It looks like the Aquabird but I'm not shure...
kalleman is offline Find More Posts by kalleman
Old Nov 06, 2008, 12:23 PM
DUNDAS CANADA
Joined Feb 2006
564 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by kalleman
It looks like the Aquabird but I'm not shure...
You are right.
LADDIE is online now Find More Posts by LADDIE
Old Nov 06, 2008, 06:09 PM
Northwest Ohio
Joined Jan 2002
2,678 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by larryross
OK I finally got enough time to start my 2X version. The yellow thing laying on top is a ruler for size comparison. Probably use this motor. My biggest problem will be getting it someplace to fly it.
Larry, I am intrigued by your Polaris 2X. That is a big plane!

I have a few questions:

First off, what do you think your AUW will be? What are you using for spars in the wing, and are you able to get the blue cor stiff enough? Lastly, is it really 6 1/2 feet long? Can't wait for the flight report and VIDEO on this one!

Scott

www.ModelAero.com
Model Aero is offline Find More Posts by Model Aero
Old Nov 06, 2008, 08:13 PM
KK6MQJ
Joined Sep 2004
13,736 Posts
Cool looking banner ad Scott!!
Bajora is offline Find More Posts by Bajora
RCG Plus Member
Old Nov 06, 2008, 08:48 PM
Northwest Ohio
Joined Jan 2002
2,678 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by BARNESJONR
Cool looking banner ad Scott!!
Thanks Jon. Believe me, I am working full bore to get these kits done. It is out of my hands right now!

It drives me nuts to have to wait, just as it does you and others! Perhaps one day I will have my own laser. But for now, we wait.

Here's a peek of what we are waiting for. I give the scratch builders so much credit for cutting these planes out from plans. It is truly a labor of love. There is a fair amount of cutting on this kit. But whether you are scratch building or waiting for a kit, the bottom line is this is an awesome project no matter how you get it built!

Scott

www.ModelAero.com
Last edited by Model Aero; Nov 06, 2008 at 09:07 PM.
Old Nov 07, 2008, 08:21 PM
Joined Aug 2002
147 Posts
Since I have only had the opportunity once to fly it and that was off grass can anyone tell me how well it takes off on water and can it handle the water being a little choppy. 2 to 4 inches??
Redwings is offline Find More Posts by Redwings
Old Nov 07, 2008, 09:41 PM
Registered FFF Addict
Grand Junction, Colorado
Joined Dec 2007
2,930 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by galloping ghost
Larry, I am intrigued by your Polaris 2X. That is a big plane!

I have a few questions:

First off, what do you think your AUW will be? What are you using for spars in the wing, and are you able to get the blue cor stiff enough? Lastly, is it really 6 1/2 feet long? Can't wait for the flight report and VIDEO on this one!

Scott

www.ModelAero.com
Aaahh ya it is approx 6.5 feet long. I try to build a giant of every plane that I especially like. This one is one of the smaller of the giants and the WS is about 63" with the winglets I am adding. I was in the middle of building a 4 motor 8 foot WS seaplane and the Polaris sole my heart and the big plane went on the back burner. I used 1/2" Dow square side insulation board for the main wing, the tail assembly and the horizontal stabe. Most all the other parts are PBIII.
The wing is already fairly stiff so I used 2 pieces of 1/8x1/2" Basswood and made a T beam to go across the wing. I am using wooden leading edge material on the front of the wing I will glass around this. The whole plane will be covered with heavy nylon (non stretchy) mesh and a couple layers of a mixture I am going to try. I am trying to come up with something that will give a little harder surface than WBPU but with the ease of use.
I haven't a guess on the AUW yet, so far the fuse is 8.2 oz and the main wing is 13oz.

Larry
Old Nov 08, 2008, 12:51 AM
Park Jet Guru
Seattle, WA
Joined Jun 2002
5,614 Posts
Laddie - Good thinking on eliminating the nose block! I've been doing laminated foam nose blocks on my park jets for so long I didn't even think to try this on the Polaris... A parkflyer-sized foam Aquabird, huh? I'd be interested to see more details of that!

Redwings - If you haven't already, check out the video I posted at the beginning of this thread. You'll notice this ship handles extremely well on the water, with zero tendencies to porpoise, rock, or even weathervane. It's a beautifully-handling seaplane on the water. And you'll also notice I was doing touch-and-goes in a little bit choppy water and it handled it just fine. This model can easily handle 2 to 4" waves, if not more, when powered as recommended.

Scott and Jon - AGREED! That's a GREAT looking banner ad...

larry - Thanks for the details on your biggie ship. That model should be a floater with a VERY light wing loading! I bet it'll be really fun to fly. Keep the details coming!

Steve
jetset44 is offline Find More Posts by jetset44
Old Nov 08, 2008, 02:08 AM
Registered FFF Addict
Grand Junction, Colorado
Joined Dec 2007
2,930 Posts
I did a little more gluing and taped some of it together to show the pieces I've been working on. A couple of pics not much progress. I'm slow.
Old Nov 08, 2008, 03:28 AM
Anderson Indiana
Joined Apr 2007
170 Posts
Micro Polaris

Here is my 1/2 micro version. It was difficult to build this small but I was on a mission and here is the result. The eleavator servo is located in the fuse and uses a pull pull system. The AUW is 3.7 oz. and the motor produces 3.7 oz. of thrust. All I need now is calm weather and I'll do the madien. I think if I were to build another I would only reduce it by 40%.

HC
Happy camper is offline Find More Posts by Happy camper
Old Nov 08, 2008, 08:30 AM
Northwest Ohio
Joined Jan 2002
2,678 Posts
Great work guys! I can't wait to see how they fly throughout the size range.

Scott

www.ModelAero.com