HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Oct 29, 2008, 11:50 AM
Retired and Lovin' it!
United States, KY, Sturgis
Joined Jul 2007
2,488 Posts
It really is a great flying airplane and the modelaero version looks very good. I really love mine.

Tony
tpfing is offline Find More Posts by tpfing
RCG Plus Member
to remove ads between posts
Old Oct 29, 2008, 01:10 PM
Dr John
Lake Placid, Florida
Joined Dec 2001
2,712 Posts
I see no price listed??

John
pmpjohn is offline Find More Posts by pmpjohn
Old Oct 29, 2008, 02:29 PM
the Netherlands
Joined Jul 2008
97 Posts
Hello Steve & Builders

Im building the polaris at this moment and I am at the point where to mount the motor ply mount onto the nacelle... In the build guide the usage of screws is mentioned to fasten the motor. Screws without a nut? Will that suffice for longer than a year and several motor swaps? Else i could glue some nuts on the back of the ply mount.

I Don't want to redo the Nacelle
steven4601 is offline Find More Posts by steven4601
Old Oct 29, 2008, 02:41 PM
Retired and Lovin' it!
Joined Jul 2007
2,488 Posts
In my opinion, if you are going to be doing numerous motor changes, then I would go for blind nuts on the back of the ply mount and probably socket head bolds to hold the motor mount on.

Tony
RCG Plus Member
Old Oct 29, 2008, 02:48 PM
the Netherlands
Joined Jul 2008
97 Posts
Thought so.

Why socket heads and not regular bolts?
Old Oct 29, 2008, 02:53 PM
Retired and Lovin' it!
Joined Jul 2007
2,488 Posts
I just prefer them. They are easier to tighten or loosen and the heads wont strip like philips or flat screws. You may have something different in the Netherlands too.

Tony
RCG Plus Member
Old Oct 29, 2008, 03:31 PM
the Netherlands
Joined Jul 2008
97 Posts
we have them here too. I dont have 2.5mm ones that fit
Old Oct 29, 2008, 03:42 PM
Retired and Lovin' it!
Joined Jul 2007
2,488 Posts
Understand. Use what you've got or what you are comfortable with.

Tony
RCG Plus Member
Old Oct 29, 2008, 04:33 PM
Northwest Ohio
Joined Jan 2002
2,659 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by jetset44
I'm happy to announce that kits for the Polaris are just about done and should be available very soon. The vendor will be Model Aero, who's a big sponsor of RCGroups and already produces a great line of innovative high-performance foam aircraft. Here's a link to the Polaris page on their website:

http://modelaero.com/Merchant5/merch...tegory_Code=AM

I was excited to work with Scott at Model Aero (known as galloping ghost here on RCG) to develop this kit. It was clear to me from the beginning that Scott is laser-focused on satisfying his customers, and he and I worked together to make several improvements to the Polaris design to make it even easier and quicker to build--without sacrificing any performance. I think folks will be very happy with the result.

More details will be available soon!

Steve
I'd like to thank Steve for trusting Model Aero with his great design and Laddie Mikulasko for inspiring him with his North Star seaplane! When he posted plans of the Polaris I was hoping to be able to work something out with him to offer kits, and I must say it has been very rewarding working with him on the project. We both share a passion and focus for making this an excellent kit.

Guys, this plane is awesome! It offers so many things that many foamies and pusher jets can't. The ability to take off from water or grass alone gives it an added dimension. It is so much fun to shoot touch and goes with it. Plus, it's fast enough to be very exciting, yet docile enough at low speeds that it is suitable for most any experienced pilot.

Stay tuned for updates as we are working out the final details on the kits and graphics.

Scott DeTray

www.ModelAero.com
Model Aero is offline Find More Posts by Model Aero
Old Oct 30, 2008, 01:34 AM
near heaven
noumea /new caledonia
Joined Apr 2004
111 Posts
hello.....
this plane......interest me!
i need one...!!!
i have a littlescreemer parkjet motor sitting here......are you sure it will work well ?
as i live in new caledonia (south pacific)...it's not so easy...
i have an order nearly ready on hobbycity...maybe you can r'ecommand me a motor ?
i have 3S 1400 and 3S 2100 lipo.....

thanks guys for your help !
vincent from ne is offline Find More Posts by vincent from ne
Old Oct 30, 2008, 07:23 AM
Northwest Ohio
Joined Jan 2002
2,659 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by vincent from ne
hello.....
this plane......interest me!
i need one...!!!
i have a littlescreemer parkjet motor sitting here......are you sure it will work well ?
as i live in new caledonia (south pacific)...it's not so easy...
i have an order nearly ready on hobbycity...maybe you can r'ecommand me a motor ?
i have 3S 1400 and 3S 2100 lipo.....

thanks guys for your help !
I would say if you build the plane light and use your 1400 battery, the LSPJ would work OK with a 6/4 or 6/5.5 prop.

I did not get a chance to view all the motors on Hobby City, but look for something in the 1800 to 2200 kv range that will deliver around 240 watts.

Scott

www.ModelAero.com
Old Oct 30, 2008, 02:05 PM
Park Jet Guru
Seattle, WA
Joined Jun 2002
5,601 Posts
vincent,
I'll second Scott's recommendation--if built lightly the Polaris will work well with the LSPJ. The LSPJ puts out between 17 to 19 oz static thrust with a 6x4 prop, and the Polaris can be built under 18 oz with a 1320 battery and under 20 oz with a 2100 battery. So it'll be close to 1:1 thrust-to-weight, providing very good performance.

Steve
jetset44 is offline Find More Posts by jetset44
Old Oct 30, 2008, 06:01 PM
Northwest Ohio
Joined Jan 2002
2,659 Posts
Polaris Maiden Video

Here's a video of the first Polaris kit on it's maiden flight off grass. It is actually flying on the Spin Max 2212-10 motor and APC 7/5 prop contrary to what the title says. The 2212-6 offers much more power and is the motor I would recommend!

Please forgive the shaky camera. I guess my camera man was as excited as I was.

Scott

www.ModelAero.com

Model Aero Polaris Seaplane (2 min 14 sec)
Old Oct 30, 2008, 06:24 PM
Retired and Lovin' it!
Joined Jul 2007
2,488 Posts
GG, it looks like it flies much like mine does with the 2212-10. I don't particularly like really high speed flight so I have held off buying a 2212-06 for it. I have flown it with 3s 1500 and 3s 2200 batteries. It's pretty heavy with the 2200's and I built it a little heavy also. The wing is 9mm depron with balsa leading and trailing edges.

Seems like every flight has to have at least a half dozen touch and goes. Love doing them. All off of grass.

I love your flying field. Looks like a sod farm. Beautifully level.

Tony
RCG Plus Member
Old Oct 30, 2008, 10:40 PM
New Hampshire-seacoast area
Joined Jun 2005
1,755 Posts
Scott, that flies great!
What does it draw with the 2212-10 and 7X5? Thrust produced?

Been trying to find test specs for that motor with a 7X5

Paul
praymond is offline Find More Posts by praymond