HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Oct 18, 2008, 05:41 PM
We shall serve the Lord
United States, TX, Kingsland
Joined Sep 2005
4,835 Posts
Try some CorrosionX on the electronics. I've had great luck with this stuff. Before I used CorrsionX, water ALWAYS got into my electronics no matter how many layers of plastic wrap and/or balloons I used. Now I just use the red can CorrosionX and I don't care if the electronics gets wet cause they just keep on working.

http://www.buycorrosionx.com/ccp1-ca...roductsCX.html

The 6 oz. size is plenty. You may be able to get it at some Ace Hardware stores. Most aviation supply houses carry it, but sometimes only in 55 gallon drums. Several of us float flyers share one large spray can and its still over half full.

Mike McD
kingsflyer is offline Find More Posts by kingsflyer
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: LEDs on my T-28
to remove ads between posts
Old Oct 19, 2008, 01:11 AM
Park Jet Guru
Seattle, WA
Joined Jun 2002
5,568 Posts
New Flight Shots

Got some new flight photos of my model today. I'm having a blast flying this model!

Steve
jetset44 is offline Find More Posts by jetset44
Old Oct 19, 2008, 07:40 AM
Wilmington, N.C.
Joined Jan 2008
203 Posts
has any one had any luck with C-RC 232 electronic spray . I cant seem to find any corrosion x here in town
darkseacret is offline Find More Posts by darkseacret
Old Oct 19, 2008, 04:28 PM
Northwest Ohio
Joined Jan 2002
2,629 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by jetset44
Got some new flight photos of my model today. I'm having a blast flying this model!

Steve
Nice photos Steve. That looks like a beautiful place to fly.

Scott

www.ModelAero.com
Model Aero is offline Find More Posts by Model Aero
Site Sponsor
Old Oct 19, 2008, 06:45 PM
Space Coast USA
Space Coast
Joined Oct 2000
20,313 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by jetset44
Glad you like it, Tony! Laddie definitely gets the lion share of the credit for this great design.

Steve
Steve,
Got a question-
Is the horizontal stabilizer also at a 2 deg angle like the motor?

Beautiful plane and you did one heck of a job with the templates and instructions. I know how much work that was!
I'm about a day or so from flying and much looking forward to it.
Thanks for your efforts.
hoppy is offline Find More Posts by hoppy
Old Oct 19, 2008, 08:10 PM
Ipoh, Perak Malaysia
Joined Jul 2006
3,931 Posts
Hoppy, the elevator is, more or less, the datum (0-deg). The motor (normally) has down thrust of 2-3 deg with reference to this datum. The wing might have, sometimes but not always, a +2-deg of incidence, also with reference to this 0-deg elevator datum.

If you set the elevator down 2-deg, it will mean that you have no downthrust, and the wing (normally 0-deg incidence) will have 2 deg of +ve incidence. You will find the plane climbing horrendously whenever you apply the throttle!

chewy
chewytm is online now Find More Posts by chewytm
Old Oct 19, 2008, 08:41 PM
Space Coast USA
Space Coast
Joined Oct 2000
20,313 Posts
I see in the Assembly Drawing, it shows the motor and horz stab both at -2 deg. http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showa...mentid=2058823

Any other comments? I'm ready to glue.
Old Oct 19, 2008, 09:01 PM
Watts up
Orange County, California
Joined Apr 2007
65 Posts
Just sent the plans for print (Great plane)

Before I get started, can someone point me in the right direction.
I would like to use material I have on hand.

Will this motor work for this plane:http://www.hobbycity.com/hobbycity/s...less_Outrunner

Will peeled dollartree foam board work for this plane and would it be better then blue-core FF.
I do have one sheet of 14"x36" 6mm depron. that could be used for the fuselage and maybe the vertical stabilizer.
rclarkeingg is offline Find More Posts by rclarkeingg
Old Oct 19, 2008, 09:39 PM
Northwest Ohio
Joined Jan 2002
2,629 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by rclarkeingg

Will this motor work for this plane:http://www.hobbycity.com/hobbycity/s...less_Outrunner

Will peeled dollartree foam board work for this plane and would it be better then blue-core FF.
I do have one sheet of 14"x36" 6mm depron. that could be used for the fuselage and maybe the vertical stabilizer.
I think you would be a tad underpowered with that motor. I believe you'd want to see 230 watts or more on a 6/4 to 7/5 prop and at least 24 oz. of thrust based on flight reports I have seen.

Scott

www.ModelAero.com
Model Aero is offline Find More Posts by Model Aero
Site Sponsor
Old Oct 19, 2008, 10:26 PM
Ipoh, Perak Malaysia
Joined Jul 2006
3,931 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by hoppy
I see in the Assembly Drawing, it shows the motor and horz stab both at -2 deg. http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showa...mentid=2058823

Any other comments? I'm ready to glue.

Hey you are right. What I said is correct in general. Maybe it's different because it's a water plane?

chewy
chewytm is online now Find More Posts by chewytm
Old Oct 19, 2008, 10:48 PM
Space Coast USA
Space Coast
Joined Oct 2000
20,313 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by chewytm
Hey you are right. What I said is correct in general. Maybe it's different because it's a water plane?

chewy
well, it makes one think about it...... you may be right.
Old Oct 19, 2008, 10:53 PM
Space Coast USA
Space Coast
Joined Oct 2000
20,313 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by rclarkeingg

I'd use the depron for the wing. You'll have to butt join it but that's not a problem. It's much stiffer than the $tree foam.
Old Oct 19, 2008, 11:10 PM
Joined Oct 2006
329 Posts
galloping ghost, please make a kit of this plane. You would sell a ton
tekajo is offline Find More Posts by tekajo
Old Oct 19, 2008, 11:11 PM
Park Jet Guru
Seattle, WA
Joined Jun 2002
5,568 Posts
You're welcome for the plans, hoppy. Glad you enjoyed them.

Yes, I set both the thrustline and the horiz stab at -2 deg incidence, which together eliminates most of the thrust-induced pitching moment throughout the speed range. It's the negative thrustline angle relative to the wing that does all the work, by generating a down force at the tail that counters the nose-down pitching moment of the high thrustline. Best of all, it does this independent of speed. Having the horiz tail at the same angle as the thrustline puts the stab at zero angle of attack relative to the thrustline, which prevents the stab from creating pitch changes due to throttle changes. While putting the stab at an angle relative to the thrust line can also be used to counter high thrust lines, the problem is this is speed sensitive--you get different pitching moment changes depending on not only throttle position, but airspeed, too. By relying solely on the thrustline angle to counter the pitching moment and not the stab incidence, the Polaris stays in trim at a wider range of airspeeds and throttle settings.

Steve
jetset44 is offline Find More Posts by jetset44
Last edited by jetset44; Oct 20, 2008 at 11:22 AM.
Old Oct 19, 2008, 11:13 PM
United States, CA, Petaluma
Joined Sep 2004
13,501 Posts
Quote:
galloping ghost, please make a kit of this plane. You would sell a ton
Hmmm...that sounds like a good idea, eh?

Steve, the photos you posted further towards the top of this page are dynamite! Makes me want to build one, which is the true sign of a great photo IMHO!
Bajora is online now Find More Posts by Bajora
RCG Plus Member