HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Feb 11, 2013, 10:36 PM
Nanaimo BC Canada
Canada, BC, Nanaimo
Joined Sep 2007
36 Posts
Ode to Rotundis

Well someone asked for a video of the porker Polaris, so here it is.
I built my first Polaris to design specs and flew it hard for at least 60 or 70 flights before a servo failure.
So for new builders, take care on the build, as it has to be one of the harder foamies to construct right but a very nice flier.
I have some other builds right now, but in the future, I will build a 120% for the gear i have or if I am flush, the Ultra kit would be awesome.
I'd like to blame Goldguy, , as he got me addicted to this hobby and guilted me into purchasing a watt meter, if only he mentioned a scale, ha ha
Enjoy the clip!

Rotatto

Rotundis (1 min 35 sec)
Rotatto is offline Find More Posts by Rotatto
Last edited by Rotatto; Feb 11, 2013 at 10:48 PM. Reason: botched embedding doh
to remove ads between posts
Old Feb 11, 2013, 11:08 PM
Park Jet Guru
Seattle, WA
Joined Jun 2002
5,611 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rotatto View Post
I built my first Polaris to design specs and flew it hard for at least 60 or 70 flights before a servo failure.
So for new builders, take care on the build, as it has to be one of the harder foamies to construct right but a very nice flier.
I have some other builds right now, but in the future, I will build a 120% for the gear i have or if I am flush, the Ultra kit would be awesome.
I'd like to blame Goldguy, , as he got me addicted to this hobby and guilted me into purchasing a watt meter, if only he mentioned a scale, ha ha
Enjoy the clip!

Rotatto

http://youtu.be/F9YOrcSreLQ

WHOOOOOOOOOOAAAAA, NELLY!!! Nice.....er.......recovery! May Rotundis rest in piece, I mean, peace.

I really enjoyed the poetry at the end. Clever!

Steve
jetset44 is offline Find More Posts by jetset44
Old Feb 12, 2013, 12:23 AM
Aussie, Aussie, Aussie!
Australia, NT, Katherine
Joined Apr 2009
1,190 Posts
Quote:
Enjoy the clip!

Rotatto

http://youtu.be/F9YOrcSreLQ
That's a shame.

Things to do different next time:

1. Don't hand launch
2. Weight diet
3. Don't hand launch
4. Recommended throws and Expo
5. Don't hand launch
6. Brighter colors on top, darker colours on bottom with white stripes for orientation
7. Oh yeh, don't hand launch its a Polaris it can takeoff from grass, water, snow, ice, asphalt, dirt .............

I would say that she is repairable, but I guess more glue in the diet will push her too far.
nrg2go is online now Find More Posts by nrg2go
Old Feb 12, 2013, 12:38 AM
unconventional :-)
Brisbane north, Australia
Joined Feb 2009
2,111 Posts
Yeah, when you hand launch you
Pass up the option to last minute abort for reasons like low power or control surface issues. It is even safer again to fly off still water. Especially for a maiden.
kadil is online now Find More Posts by kadil
Old Feb 12, 2013, 12:46 AM
Nanaimo BC Canada
Canada, BC, Nanaimo
Joined Sep 2007
36 Posts
[QUOTE=nrg2go;24109523]That's a shame.

Things to do different next time:

1. Don't hand launch

Ya, that was the note i included in the vid, with the 7,6 prop the torque was too much for ROG, just wanted to ground loop.
Actually, other than water, i mostly hand launched my original, no probs. And i would land high alpha, a walking speed. That prop on a 120% would be fine.
I`d much rather trash a Nutball, just throw a garbage can lid on a slab o fff, and your half done, ain`t that right Goldguy
Old Feb 12, 2013, 01:16 AM
Nanaimo BC Canada
Canada, BC, Nanaimo
Joined Sep 2007
36 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by jetset44 View Post
WHOOOOOOOOOOAAAAA, NELLY!!! Nice.....er.......recovery! May Rotundis rest in piece, I mean, peace.

I really enjoyed the poetry at the end. Clever!

Steve
Thanks Steve!

That was one squirelly ride, don`t know why i tried the second time
Old Feb 12, 2013, 01:48 AM
United Kingdom, Aviemore
Joined Feb 2005
3,244 Posts
Man that's a shame it showed moments of promise I thought. I don't think it's downfall was completely down to it's portliness but more a combination of things. Did it end up hitting that net looking thing at the other side of the field? Regardless, I love the video way to make light of it and good luck with your next Polaris mission

Hey,,,,,does that mean I can reclaim my porkalaris title?
Aviefly is offline Find More Posts by Aviefly
Old Feb 12, 2013, 09:35 AM
Nanaimo BC Canada
Canada, BC, Nanaimo
Joined Sep 2007
36 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aviefly View Post
Man that's a shame it showed moments of promise I thought. I don't think it's downfall was completely down to it's portliness but more a combination of things. Did it end up hitting that net looking thing at the other side of the field? Regardless, I love the video way to make light of it and good luck with your next Polaris mission

Hey,,,,,does that mean I can reclaim my porkalaris title?
Yes the title is all yours again
It actually nosed in to the field.
I was barely able to turn it back, not sure why she was so hard to turn but pitch sensitive. Not at all the Polaris the first one was.
Old Feb 12, 2013, 09:46 AM
brooklyn,ny
Joined Jul 2007
2,283 Posts
had some snow over here in nyc over the weekend and what fun it was with the polaris as usual

-pete
meanbaby is offline Find More Posts by meanbaby
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Polaris #58 control horn
Old Feb 12, 2013, 10:08 AM
60 years of RC flying
Canada, ON, Ottawa
Joined Feb 2006
16,473 Posts
Winter Flying

We had a great afternoon of flying at our club field on Sunday. One of those rare days when the temperature is just right (a little below freezing), the wind is very light, the sun is shining, and there's fresh snow. In this case, the snow had blown into humps and bumps, but that just made things more interesting.

This video is not just about Polaris flying, but I didn't think anyone would mind. There are several Polari in the second half.

Winter Flying 2013-02-10 (7 min 20 sec)

PS Apologies for the poor focus in a couple of places.
Daedalus66 is online now Find More Posts by Daedalus66
Old Feb 12, 2013, 10:13 AM
60 years of RC flying
Canada, ON, Ottawa
Joined Feb 2006
16,473 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by meanbaby View Post
had some snow over here in nyc over the weekend and what fun it was with the polaris as usual
-pete
I love winter flying when the weather is right. And Polaris is unbeatable for snow handling.

I see the bottle of Foam Tac on your bench. Is that what you are using mainly? Have you tried the new formulation yet? I have some on the way.
Old Feb 12, 2013, 10:24 AM
60 years of RC flying
Canada, ON, Ottawa
Joined Feb 2006
16,473 Posts
Quote:
It actually nosed in to the field.
I was barely able to turn it back, not sure why she was so hard to turn but pitch sensitive. Not at all the Polaris the first one was.
Sorry to see the demise! But thanks for sharing with a sense of humor.

The lack of aileron response was probably just a result of flying at high alpha much of the flight. Especially with a heavy model, aileron response drops off rapidly and you have to steer with rudder.

Pitch sensitive could be a result of CG too far back, but a certain type of pitch handling problem results from the CG too far forward, combined with lots of elevator throw and high weight. You get into high alpha flying with lots of elevator to keep the nose up. Eventually, the model slows too much, the elevator is no longer effective and the heavy nose drops vertically. That's what might have happened at the end.
Old Feb 12, 2013, 10:33 AM
Row 0, Seat A
Savannah, GA
Joined Jan 2008
2,711 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Daedalus66 View Post
I see the bottle of Foam Tac on your bench. Is that what you are using mainly? Have you tried the new formulation yet? I have some on the way.
First I've heard about a new Foam-Tac. Got a link where I can find out more? I'm down to may last bottle and am finding fewer sources lately with increasing prices. Sure wish Beacon would distribute through all of the craft stores like their other products.

Ted

edit - does anyone have experience using Aleen's Foamtastic or CraftFoam glues?
G550Ted is offline Find More Posts by G550Ted
Last edited by G550Ted; Feb 12, 2013 at 10:51 AM.
Old Feb 12, 2013, 10:39 AM
Row 0, Seat A
Savannah, GA
Joined Jan 2008
2,711 Posts
Power Question

I have followed this thread since it's inception and read every post but don't recall anything on this specific. For a standard Polaris, has anyone had success with a motor similar in size and output of the 2212-6 and variants but with a lower kv turning a 6x4 3 blade prop? My thought is equal power/performance with less prop noise.

TIA,

Ted
G550Ted is offline Find More Posts by G550Ted
Old Feb 12, 2013, 10:59 AM
RC Adddict
Canada, BC, Williams Lake
Joined Jan 2010
4,266 Posts
Prices have increased on foam tac with the new formula The have a Contest thread with infoHere You can let Eric know your local hobby shop you'd like it in and he'll try and get it there

Theres also a Where to Buy thread Here

As for sources for the original blend they seem to be getting few and far between

$5.99

used to see it for $3.99 but those seem to be all used up
Wilfor is online now Find More Posts by Wilfor