HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Jan 31, 2013, 10:39 PM
DeBary, FL
Joined Nov 2010
1,855 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by ggtronic View Post
Thanks !agree... usual audience max focus time is 10 sec. more than this without scene change and they skip or end
And the nominees for Best RC Flight Vid in the Fixed Wing Outdoor category are...!!! (No, I *never* watch the usual tv/movie awards shows but it's hard to miss that they're in the news lately. LOL!)

That was one of the most *exceptional* flight vids I've ever seen. It's riveting end to end because there's nothing -repetitive-. The lengths of scenes was perfect, such as the one with the skier in the lower left corner, then the plane shadow in the middle, and the sail/sail shadow in the upper right. There's enough time to look at each part twice, not more, then next scene.

There're a couple of things you could add.

One is more high altitude time. Normally ascents are not as much fun because the camera is pointed up and can't see the ground. But a short time at altitude, then a glide descent that catches up with skier could take even 20-30 secs and -not- get boring. With the motor sound even more fun - a little of the ascent as it reaches apogee with lots of motor, then the long descent with the motor near-off, then just above the ground hit the throttle and catch and pass the skier.

Yes as was mentioned hearing how the motor is used in flight adds a lot. The motor adds 'presence' - 'I am THERE' - to the viewer experience.

Another thing is to add more aerobatics. Invert with descent bring the ground into view.

The scenes with the plane shadow in the frame were excellent because it's usually pretty hard to get that kind of sharp definition with dirt/green landscape.

Outstanding.
jbarchuk is offline Find More Posts by jbarchuk
to remove ads between posts
Old Feb 01, 2013, 06:47 AM
We shall serve the Lord
United States, TX, Kingsland
Joined Sep 2005
5,162 Posts
I guess I'm more of an airplane guy. I like to hear how hard the motor has to work to make the plane perform. I want to know if the prop cavitates at high alpha and how fast the plane accelerates when you really pour the coal to it. Motor pitch and plane performance are key ingrediants that induce me to buy or pass a particular model.

I did enjoy the video, music and all, but it wouldn't have helped me decide to build a Polaris.

My 2 Cents. Thus endeth the sermon.

McD
kingsflyer is offline Find More Posts by kingsflyer
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: LEDs on my T-28
Old Feb 01, 2013, 01:21 PM
Joined Feb 2013
2 Posts
Depron is difficult to get here in Newfoundland, Canada. So I made a polaris out of dollar store foam. Designed not for water, but for snow/grass. As of this post, over 40 flights with it in very punishing conditions. About twice that number touch an go's.
Hard frozen bumpy ground. Wet grass/mud. Packing tape and dollar store foam can be very durable.

This plane is unreal. I Love it.

Watch in 1080p. Enjoy.

Dollarstorefoam Polaris (6 min 27 sec)
OG Harpax is offline Find More Posts by OG Harpax
Old Feb 01, 2013, 01:44 PM
United States, GA, Dunwoody
Joined Feb 2011
751 Posts
Nice flying and video. Also nice to get a look at the flying field in Newfoundland.

Did you remove the paper backing from the DS foam. I don't like Depron. It's brittle and expensive. The HD pink and blue fan-fold foam seems better but I'm interested in trying the DS foam for the 120% Polaris build. Used the FF for a 5' wing and Geobat and it holds up very well.

Joel
BeechMusketeer is online now Find More Posts by BeechMusketeer
Old Feb 01, 2013, 02:00 PM
Joined Oct 2010
197 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by BeechMusketeer View Post
Nice flying and video. Also nice to get a look at the flying field in Newfoundland.

Did you remove the paper backing from the DS foam. I don't like Depron. It's brittle and expensive. The HD pink and blue fan-fold foam seems better but I'm interested in trying the DS foam for the 120% Polaris build. Used the FF for a 5' wing and Geobat and it holds up very well.

Joel
I think double thickness DS foam would work perfect for the 120-125% polaris. I doubled up a lot of parts for the 100% with dollar store foam and it flew well. A little on the heavy side (22-23 oz) but with a 120 - 125% it would be just about right. You would of course have to piece the wing together becuase the DS foam is not large enough for a full wing. I am thinking of building a 125% from DS foam myself.
flybyjohn is offline Find More Posts by flybyjohn
Old Feb 01, 2013, 04:44 PM
unconventional :-)
Brisbane north, Australia
Joined Feb 2009
2,111 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by kadil View Post
I will have some photos tomorrow, but I am finally building a polaris with a full length spine.............. Physically........ Not metaphorically. Disaster in the making....... Maybe :-)
Pics of the new build inspired by the Polaris.
kadil is offline Find More Posts by kadil
Old Feb 01, 2013, 06:03 PM
Joined Feb 2013
2 Posts
Quote:

Joel
Thnaks. This is actually one of the local golf courses in the capital city.

No paper removed. No double thickness. Carbon as per the plans in this thread.
The only thing we do with the foam is a layer of clear packing tape to protect the paper. It takes a little getting used to, and may sound labor intensive, but it's really not a chore once you get the hang of it. Slight bubble in the tape here or there makes no difference.

The tape doubles as both moisture and impact protection, as well as strength. I've conducted weight tests on taped and non taped foam and the taped is almost 20% stronger than just paper backed foam alone.
OG Harpax is offline Find More Posts by OG Harpax
Last edited by OG Harpax; Feb 01, 2013 at 06:04 PM. Reason: forgot a comment
Old Feb 01, 2013, 11:30 PM
United States, OR, Portland
Joined Jan 2008
1,873 Posts
Flew three batteries today, including the lighter pack for the first time. Was nice. Definitely could tell it was a little lighter on its wings, and a little more vertical performance. Came down after about 5.5 minutes including about half of it probably at WOT(usually do more like 6.5min with the 2.1 and 2.2ah) and the individual 3s850s were both close to 3.8v per cell at rest. Pretty good! Was the best flying day in a long time weather wise.
seeingeyegod is offline Find More Posts by seeingeyegod
Old Feb 02, 2013, 02:20 AM
Canada, AB, Champion
Joined Aug 2012
268 Posts
Quote:

Joel
I build my first 100% Polaris with $store foam but I did KFM2 airfoil and remove papers only on where KFM , I did cover bottom with good quality scotch packing tape, I build to fly on grass or snow so that was more than enough.
Now I'm building Polaris ultra same as before with $store foam and KFM2 airfoil, scale 125% and almost completed, waiting for motor and esc.
superrcflier is offline Find More Posts by superrcflier
Old Feb 02, 2013, 08:16 PM
United States, CT, New Haven
Joined Dec 2011
166 Posts
I have a question about the wings. Am I suppose to sand the leading edge of the wings? Didn't see it written anywhere but just want to be sure.
cmaynex is offline Find More Posts by cmaynex
Old Feb 02, 2013, 08:41 PM
Summer in ME, Winter in SW FL
United States, FL, Rotonda West
Joined Jun 2012
17 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by cmaynex View Post
IAm I suppose to sand the leading edge of the wings? Didn't see it written anywhere but just want to be sure.
No reason to sand leading edges for performance - it will fly fine without sanding so I am told. My other Depron foam plane's directions say leave it square. Unless you don't like the looks of it then sand it.
BobMaine1 is offline Find More Posts by BobMaine1
Old Feb 02, 2013, 08:52 PM
Joined Jan 2008
1,873 Posts
I like me a nice round leading edge covered with trim tape. Something zen about making the round edge and smoothing it with fine sandpaper then covering it so it stays nice.
Old Feb 02, 2013, 09:39 PM
United States, CT, New Haven
Joined Dec 2011
166 Posts
Thank you for the responses. I am not sure I want to sand it for fear I might take off to much or some how fudge it. So I think I may leave it square. Seeingeyegod you say trim tape and I have heard others mention it but what is it exactly? I have some Scotch extreme tape I used to reinforce my CTH wings and it works well and also lighter than most tape from what I heard.
cmaynex is offline Find More Posts by cmaynex
Old Feb 02, 2013, 09:56 PM
United States, SC, Irmo
Joined Mar 2012
2,541 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by choochoo22 View Post
I just bought one, came in a couple of days ago. Try this.

I had one I bought at the LHS for about $8 but I couldn't use it as it is T shaped and the connectors coming in from 3 directions wouldn't fit in the fuse. Th HK one is better.
This place might have what you need. I buy ALOT from them. Seems like I have a order on the way every week. They also have series setups. Anyway heres the link.
http://www.headsuprc.com/servlet/the...ess/Categories
carr52 is offline Find More Posts by carr52
Old Feb 02, 2013, 11:21 PM
Joined Jan 2008
1,873 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by cmaynex View Post
Thank you for the responses. I am not sure I want to sand it for fear I might take off to much or some how fudge it. So I think I may leave it square. Seeingeyegod you say trim tape and I have heard others mention it but what is it exactly? I have some Scotch extreme tape I used to reinforce my CTH wings and it works well and also lighter than most tape from what I heard.
People use everything from package tape to duct tape to gorilla tape to electrical tape, but I was specifically talking about these Top Flight colored stick on trim things I buy at the LHS. Is a light but strong sticky backed sheet you pull off like a sticker and it sticks better than tape and looks better. Comes in like 6 inch by 24 or 32 (guessing) inch sheets in a bunch of different colors