HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Jan 30, 2013, 03:22 PM
United States, OR, Portland
Joined Jan 2008
1,836 Posts
Wow that is really light for an 1800, maybe too light to properly balance! Mine has some added tail weight now from epoxy repair to a broken tail. Also I added red duct tape to the wing leading edges that I like the look of but it is a little heavy. May replace it with some lighter tape. Thanks for the heads up on that batt though.
seeingeyegod is offline Find More Posts by seeingeyegod
to remove ads between posts
Old Jan 30, 2013, 06:18 PM
most exalted one
Canada, BC, Blind Bay
Joined Aug 2002
3,589 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by seeingeyegod View Post
Finally went through the trouble of making a Deans parallel adapter so I can hook up two 850s as a single 1700. Took like 2 hours!
No more than a couple dollars at HK.
4*60 is offline Find More Posts by 4*60
Old Jan 30, 2013, 08:15 PM
Planely Addicted
1236 Fremont St. Lancaster, PA 17603-6812
Joined Mar 2005
65 Posts
Lockey

I think we are two of the few that enjoy hearing the motors. Seems like most think motor noise is boring, but I enjoy that.

Fred
Fred Dings, II is offline Find More Posts by Fred Dings, II
Old Jan 30, 2013, 10:08 PM
Joined Jan 2008
1,836 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by 4*60 View Post
No more than a couple dollars at HK.
Actually, I can't find a parallel connector on there that uses deans plugs, can you? I can't even find Deans connectors at all. Hard to believe. I know they are going outta style but... really?
Old Jan 30, 2013, 10:55 PM
Gravity sucks.
Australia, QLD, Toowoomba
Joined Mar 2011
564 Posts
look up ''T'' power connectors - they aren't deans they are copies/clones.
m_ark is offline Find More Posts by m_ark
Old Jan 31, 2013, 12:13 AM
Rick
United States, CA, Santa Clara
Joined Mar 2011
2,164 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by seeingeyegod View Post
Actually, I can't find a parallel connector on there that uses deans plugs, can you? I can't even find Deans connectors at all. Hard to believe. I know they are going outta style but... really?

I just bought one, came in a couple of days ago. Try this.

I had one I bought at the LHS for about $8 but I couldn't use it as it is T shaped and the connectors coming in from 3 directions wouldn't fit in the fuse. Th HK one is better.
choochoo22 is offline Find More Posts by choochoo22
Old Jan 31, 2013, 12:23 AM
If it floats....sail it!
Elk Grove, CA
Joined Sep 2002
4,170 Posts
The HK Dean's clones have ridges on the side of the connectors making them easier to pull apart than the real thing. The downside is that their plastic melts at a lower temperature so you have to be careful with the soldering iron.

To keep them from partially melting and having a prong offset and ruining the connectior, I plug a male and female together not closing them up all the way - leaving a little of the male prongs exposed. The other connector acts like a heat sink and gives you a little more temperature control.

Other than that, I have not seen a difference....other than the price

FC
FoamCrusher is offline Find More Posts by FoamCrusher
Old Jan 31, 2013, 12:52 AM
Joined Jan 2008
1,836 Posts
oh yeah.. that would do it. I've been wondering what a "T connector" is. Thanks.
Old Jan 31, 2013, 02:15 AM
The Netherlands
Joined Oct 2008
1,224 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fred Dings, II View Post
Lockey

I think we are two of the few that enjoy hearing the motors. Seems like most think motor noise is boring, but I enjoy that.

Fred
Here the 3th of the few ...
The sound of the motor and the way the throttle it is used in flight is part of the fun for me.
mavlo77 is offline Find More Posts by mavlo77
Old Jan 31, 2013, 07:39 AM
Build, Fly, Rebuild!!
Australia, NSW, Lake Macquarie
Joined Dec 2011
271 Posts
50%

Quote:
Originally Posted by m_ark View Post
Some images of my 50% Polaris build so far - many thanks to jetset44 for sharing the plans!
For anyone considering a 50% version, it's very small, and fiddly.

I'm going to use 2-3 gram servo's, a micro reciever and a 10gram 2000kv brushless out-runner motor with 5x3 prop for mine. Probably will pair this with a 360mah 3cell.
Hi m_ark when making your 50% plane you might want to consider putting a thicker bottom on the front (to act as the battery tray) and turning your battery side ways as the smaller airframe makes it harder to get the battery in to place in the normal way. I have pics of my 55% build in my blog that shows the battery arrangement I ended up using after trying it the normal way (and crashing) then modifying it to prevent the damage that was happening around the hatch. The plus side is using 6mm depron on the front bottom also increases the height of the step by double to help prevent the wings dragging on take off!

Regards Ghost
Ghost who walks is offline Find More Posts by Ghost who walks
RCG Plus Member
Old Jan 31, 2013, 08:13 AM
unconventional :-)
Brisbane north, Australia
Joined Feb 2009
2,111 Posts
I will have some photos tomorrow, but I am finally building a polaris with a full length spine.............. Physically........ Not metaphorically. Disaster in the making....... Maybe :-)
kadil is offline Find More Posts by kadil
Old Jan 31, 2013, 08:21 AM
Singapore, Singapore
Joined Jun 2012
2,005 Posts
Speaking of disasters. First the heat, now the water! You guys can't ever catch a break eh. I heard the water is bad from bundaberg all the way down the sunshine coast. Hopefully hasn't hit brisbane, though I think I saw a couple of towns just off moreton bay got hit quite badly.
rayonnair is online now Find More Posts by rayonnair
Old Jan 31, 2013, 04:42 PM
60 years of RC flying
Canada, ON, Ottawa
Joined Feb 2006
16,727 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by mavlo77 View Post
Here the 3th of the few ...
The sound of the motor and the way the throttle it is used in flight is part of the fun for me.
#4 here. Most of the time, anyway. Occasionally I encounter a video where the music actually adds something. I thought this was one.
Daedalus66 is offline Find More Posts by Daedalus66
Last edited by Daedalus66; Feb 01, 2013 at 12:49 AM.
Old Jan 31, 2013, 04:43 PM
unconventional :-)
Brisbane north, Australia
Joined Feb 2009
2,111 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by rayonnair View Post
Speaking of disasters. First the heat, now the water! You guys can't ever catch a break eh. I heard the water is bad from bundaberg all the way down the sunshine coast. Hopefully hasn't hit brisbane, though I think I saw a couple of towns just off moreton bay got hit quite badly.
We were lucky. One of the largest storms we've seen travels from top to bottom of our country, causing a record number of tornado's. Multiple centres flooded, roads and communications cut. We are in the center of it's path and all we get is good rain. The worst we got was a puddle in the garage and a wheelie bin on the street knocked over. Thoughts for those departed and best wishes for those who have suffered.
kadil is offline Find More Posts by kadil
Old Jan 31, 2013, 10:14 PM
Gravity sucks.
Australia, QLD, Toowoomba
Joined Mar 2011
564 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ghost who walks View Post
Hi m_ark when making your 50% plane you might want to consider putting a thicker bottom on the front (to act as the battery tray) and turning your battery side ways as the smaller airframe makes it harder to get the battery in to place in the normal way. I have pics of my 55% build in my blog that shows the battery arrangement I ended up using after trying it the normal way (and crashing) then modifying it to prevent the damage that was happening around the hatch. The plus side is using 6mm depron on the front bottom also increases the height of the step by double to help prevent the wings dragging on take off!

Regards Ghost
Thanks so much for your helpfull advice Ghost,
As it turned out i miss-read the plan where it showed using 3/8th foam so i cut two pieces of 3mm and laminated them for top and bottom surfaces. Makes it nice and rigid. - i'll be using your idea re: the battery tray too, should fit a good range of sizes that way
m_ark is offline Find More Posts by m_ark