HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Dec 28, 2012, 03:58 AM
United Kingdom, Aviemore
Joined Feb 2005
3,244 Posts
That's a shame Seeingeyegod, at least is was on the ground and no other damage. Shame about the Nano CPX too, is it literally lost or recovered and not working?

Here is the other video. It's a terrible video really, I'd changed the camera settings for an indoor session and forget to change them back. It was also colder than it looked and you can actually see me shivering with the cam on my hat at some points. It's a real shame as the flying spot is a beautiful place with an old castle ruin in the middle of the water. I think Polaris wise the only change from the last video is I'd increased the percentage of spoileron to elevator mix.

Polaris at Lochindorb 4/11/12 (6 min 36 sec)
Aviefly is offline Find More Posts by Aviefly
to remove ads between posts
Old Dec 28, 2012, 11:19 AM
Joined Dec 2011
4 Posts
Can I use 8mm depron to build this plane? If so, what are the modifications that I should make.
ChilledGrave is offline Find More Posts by ChilledGrave
Old Dec 28, 2012, 12:09 PM
United Kingdom, Aviemore
Joined Feb 2005
3,244 Posts
I can't see why not but you'd have to pay a bit more attention to keeping it light on the glue and finishing front. You'd just have to make allowances for the thickness of it here and there. Things like the slot in the fuse sides for the wing, you might even have to even have to make the outline of all the parts a couple of mm smaller to allow for it but then again you might get away with it as is. I'm sure if you make it up as you go along you'll come up with something that works.
Old Dec 28, 2012, 01:33 PM
United Kingdom, England, Wigan
Joined Jul 2011
756 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChilledGrave View Post
Can I use 8mm depron to build this plane? If so, what are the modifications that I should make.
well seeing how 8mm Depron is about 25% bigger than 6mm Depron...

just build one about 25% bigger!

David
how much is offline Find More Posts by how much
Old Dec 28, 2012, 01:42 PM
Joined Nov 2008
37 Posts
Building Hint - Vertical Stab Channel

My bullet connectors to connect to the motor are a bit wider than 1/4". They would not go through the vertical stab channel. I took a 1/4" file and a sanding stick and enlarged the channel until they slipped through easily.

Merv
Friesen 5 is offline Find More Posts by Friesen 5
Old Dec 28, 2012, 02:21 PM
United Kingdom, Aviemore
Joined Feb 2005
3,244 Posts
I put the female bullet on the motor end of the cable and threaded the other end down the vert stab with nothing on them. I wasn't until I'd finalised the position of the esc that I cut the excess cable off and fitted bullets to the other end. I considered soldering direct but liked the idea of being able to carry spares and swap out the esc or motor at the waterside if need be.
Old Dec 28, 2012, 02:27 PM
Rick
United States, CA, Santa Clara
Joined Mar 2011
2,034 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChilledGrave View Post
Several people, including myself, have built theirs from Dollar Tree foam which is 4.5 mm. Some areas are single layer and some are doubled, making them 9mm. You need to compensate here and there, as has been mentioned. It might be interesting to mix the 8mm with Dollar Tree 4.5, using the 8mm instead of doubled 4.5.
choochoo22 is online now Find More Posts by choochoo22
Old Dec 28, 2012, 02:40 PM
United States, OR, Portland
Joined Jan 2008
1,796 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aviefly View Post
That's a shame Seeingeyegod, at least is was on the ground and no other damage. Shame about the Nano CPX too, is it literally lost or recovered and not working?
Yeah I'm glad I still have the plane at least. Was like "yay, here we go, ready to fly the Cobralaris (spark,smoke).. oh nevermind."

nCPX seems to have just vanished into the weeds/water where it went in. I will probably look for it one more time but I'm not very hopeful. It wouldn't be SO bad if I had just gotten to fly it longer than a week. So unfair. Also I've spent too much money on this lately and that makes it even worse.

Does anyone know if these micro copters float? I have a sinking sensation that they go "bloop, *gone*".
seeingeyegod is offline Find More Posts by seeingeyegod
Old Dec 28, 2012, 06:07 PM
Tony Audsley Retired Locksmith
Australia, WA, Perth
Joined Sep 2011
2,869 Posts
Quote:
Hi ChilledGrave, are you sure thats Depron you have there ? or maybe you got the size wrong?

Unless you guys get different stuff to us, there is no 8mm Depron

Depron here comes in: 2mm .. 3mm .. 6mm .. and 9mm .. http://www.tradewarehouse.com.au/depron-foam.html

Lockey
Lockey is offline Find More Posts by Lockey
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Latest Builds
Old Dec 28, 2012, 07:24 PM
59 years of RC flying
Canada, ON, Ottawa
Joined Feb 2006
16,269 Posts
My Polaris Ultra takes to the air!

I got in one flight with the Polaris Ultra this afternoon. For a report and video go to the other thread:

http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showp...4&postcount=92

That's my transmitter mitt in the picture. Very nice to fly with bare hands at -7C.
Daedalus66 is offline Find More Posts by Daedalus66
Old Dec 28, 2012, 09:03 PM
Aussie, Aussie, Aussie!
Melbourne, Australia
Joined Apr 2009
1,188 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lockey View Post
Hi ChilledGrave, are you sure thats Depron you have there ? or maybe you got the size wrong?

Unless you guys get different stuff to us, there is no 8mm Depron

Depron here comes in: 2mm .. 3mm .. 6mm .. and 9mm .. http://www.tradewarehouse.com.au/depron-foam.html

Lockey
Got some of that 9mm from Tradewarehouse Lockey, measured it with verniers and its actually 8mm. Go figure
nrg2go is online now Find More Posts by nrg2go
Old Dec 28, 2012, 09:59 PM
Tony Audsley Retired Locksmith
Australia, WA, Perth
Joined Sep 2011
2,869 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by nrg2go View Post
Got some of that 9mm from Tradewarehouse Lockey, measured it with verniers and its actually 8mm. Go figure
Well bugger me nrg2go

Lockey
Lockey is offline Find More Posts by Lockey
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Latest Builds
Old Dec 29, 2012, 04:42 AM
Teddy Ong
Joined Nov 2012
579 Posts
That's a nice Ultra!
Teddy Ong is offline Find More Posts by Teddy Ong
Old Dec 29, 2012, 06:53 AM
59 years of RC flying
Canada, ON, Ottawa
Joined Feb 2006
16,269 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Teddy Ong View Post
That's a nice Ultra!
All the credit goes to ModelAero.com. That's how it looks if you just take it out of the box and slot it together. My contribution was just adding a little epoxy to attach the wings and stab, mounting the motor, installing the radio and servos, and sticking on the bottom protector.
Daedalus66 is offline Find More Posts by Daedalus66
Old Dec 29, 2012, 01:48 PM
United States, OR, Portland
Joined Jan 2008
1,796 Posts
Thanks for posting the video, and don't be too hard on your camera or flying skills
seeingeyegod is offline Find More Posts by seeingeyegod