HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Dec 14, 2012, 08:30 PM
60 years of RC flying
Canada, ON, Ottawa
Joined Feb 2006
16,485 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by seeingeyegod View Post
my color scheme in less than ideal lighting is tough for orientation. I may add some red stripes on the bottom wings.
if you really want it to show up use broad black stripes. Red works well at close range and in good light, but in less favorable seeing conditions it becomes grey. I use 2" black packaging tape.

Glad to hear things went well with the second maiden.
Daedalus66 is online now Find More Posts by Daedalus66
to remove ads between posts
Old Dec 14, 2012, 11:34 PM
Rick
United States, CA, Santa Clara
Joined Mar 2011
2,097 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Daedalus66 View Post
if you really want it to show up use broad black stripes. Red works well at close range and in good light, but in less favorable seeing conditions it becomes grey. I use 2" black packaging tape.

Glad to hear things went well with the second maiden.
It's been my observation that as distance increases everything turns grey. But as you suggest, with bold black & white stripes, circles, etc., the contrast is still visible. Some people color a plane bright red or yellow and think "boy, that will show up for miles", but on a cloudy day near the limits of your vision it's just two shades of grey, just a little darker than the white you probably started with. Color the top to look pretty and color the bottom for contrast, and make sure it's different from the top. Don't put blue stripes on top and black on the bottom, for instance, or you won't be able to tell them apart at a distance.
choochoo22 is online now Find More Posts by choochoo22
Old Dec 15, 2012, 05:55 AM
Tony Audsley Retired Locksmith
Australia, WA, Perth
Joined Sep 2011
3,079 Posts
To all my Polaris friends, a card for you at Christmas … please print and enjoy (PDF is A4) ... ARF .. no motor req'd

Merry Christmas

Lockey
Lockey is online now Find More Posts by Lockey
RCG Plus Member
Last edited by Lockey; Dec 15, 2012 at 06:02 AM.
Old Dec 15, 2012, 08:51 AM
60 years of RC flying
Canada, ON, Ottawa
Joined Feb 2006
16,485 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lockey View Post
To all my Polaris friends, a card for you at Christmas please print and enjoy (PDF is A4) ... ARF .. no motor req'd

Merry Christmas

Lockey
That was a tough build, but with the aid of the Construction Guide I was able to complete it.

I maidened it in the living room and it's still in one piece. Unfortunately, mine is monochrome (laser printer).

Now I have to try to find a color printer so I can produce four of them for the grandkids.

Thanks!!!
Old Dec 15, 2012, 08:53 AM
Northwest Ohio
Joined Jan 2002
2,672 Posts
That is awesome Lockey!!!

Mine flies great with just a bit of up trim!!!

Merry Christmas.

Scott
Model Aero is offline Find More Posts by Model Aero
Old Dec 15, 2012, 12:15 PM
60 years of RC flying
Canada, ON, Ottawa
Joined Feb 2006
16,485 Posts
Re: Christmas Card Assembly Guide

I tried unsuccessfully to follow the direction "Attempt to fly across room." My wing loading is too high (and my power loading inadequate). I think I need a Gossamer Condor or maybe one of these:

Human-Powered Helicopters: Straight Up Difficult (5 min 36 sec)

See what happens at the end and think about repairing one of these machines. Depron is much easier!
Old Dec 15, 2012, 01:10 PM
Park Jet Guru
Seattle, WA
Joined Jun 2002
5,611 Posts
Quote:
To all my Polaris friends, a card for you at Christmas please print and enjoy (PDF is A4) ... ARF .. no motor req'd

Merry Christmas

Lockey
Thanks, Tony! The kids LOVED it. Especially the reindeer in the windows. Flies really well, too!
jetset44 is offline Find More Posts by jetset44
Old Dec 15, 2012, 01:11 PM
Park Jet Guru
Seattle, WA
Joined Jun 2002
5,611 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Daedalus66 View Post
Re: Christmas Card Assembly Guide

I tried unsuccessfully to follow the direction "Attempt to fly across room." My wing loading is too high (and my power loading inadequate). I think I need a Gossamer Condor or maybe one of these:

http://vimeo.com/51320244

See what happens at the end and think about repairing one of these machines. Depron is much easier!
NEAT video! Thanks for sharing.
jetset44 is offline Find More Posts by jetset44
Old Dec 15, 2012, 07:56 PM
Tony Audsley Retired Locksmith
Australia, WA, Perth
Joined Sep 2011
3,079 Posts
Great video D66 ... very clever ... thanks for sharing

Lockey
Lockey is online now Find More Posts by Lockey
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Easy Autogyro
Old Dec 15, 2012, 11:02 PM
60 years of RC flying
Canada, ON, Ottawa
Joined Feb 2006
16,485 Posts
Quote:
Great video D66 ... very clever ... thanks for sharing

Lockey
Can you imagine building something that complex and fragile? I remember some of the early human-powered fixed wing machines built out of spruce and balsa, incredibly fragile and unable to get more than a couple of feet off the ground. Then along came MacCready and the Gossamer Condor, using CF and Kevlar to create a simple, adaptable, repairable structure, and suddenly it was possible or even easy.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gossamer_Condor

It's like the Wright Brothers, who thought the whole thing through -- the airfoil, the structure, the control system, the engine, the piloting skill, the right location -- and suddenly it worked and was relatively easy (after all that brilliant and hard work). Maybe these guys with their helicopter will be able to do it too, but it all looks so excruciatingly difficult. And they don't have any control! I don't think the competition rules allow you to have an RC setup with the pilot on the ground.

Anyway, back to Polaris. I have two Ultras (one for a friend) sitting in a post office just across the St. Lawrence in New York state, a bit over an hour away. But I didn't get the arrival info till about 11:30 and the post office there closes at 12:30 on Saturdays. So it will have to wait till Monday. Ah well, the weather looks crappy next week anyway. So it may be Christmas week before I get to fly it.
Old Dec 16, 2012, 07:39 AM
We shall serve the Lord
United States, TX, Kingsland
Joined Sep 2005
5,105 Posts
My Ultra is scheduled for delivery on Wednesday. I may be able to squeeze in some building time before the kids and grandkids arrive for the Christmas celebrations. At least the "Runway" is ready -- 60 degrees and calm.

McD
kingsflyer is offline Find More Posts by kingsflyer
RCG Plus Member
Last edited by kingsflyer; Dec 16, 2012 at 08:45 AM.
Old Dec 16, 2012, 09:16 AM
Northwest Ohio
Joined Jan 2002
2,672 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by kingsflyer View Post
My Ultra is scheduled for delivery on Wednesday. I may be able to squeeze in some building time before the kids and grandkids arrive for the Christmas celebrations. At least the "Runway" is ready -- 60 degrees and calm.

McD
Looks very nice indeed!

Scott
Model Aero is offline Find More Posts by Model Aero
Old Dec 16, 2012, 10:12 PM
absolutely maybe
Australia, WA, Currambine
Joined Apr 2011
570 Posts
Kingsflyer,

Looks like a beautiful spot, I wish we had more spots like that here!

Regards
Ian
pistnbroke is offline Find More Posts by pistnbroke
Old Dec 16, 2012, 10:49 PM
We shall serve the Lord
Joined Sep 2005
5,105 Posts
Thanks, we feel very blest to be able to have that view every morning.

McD
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: LEDs on my T-28
Old Dec 17, 2012, 08:23 AM
We shall serve the Lord
Joined Sep 2005
5,105 Posts
Just got these pictures this morning of an interesting Polaris built by Warren from Florida. Here is what the builder wrote:

" I just tested my newest design. It came about because my attempt to put am EDF on a Polaris failed (spectacularly) in an over-speed self-distuction. I had no idea that fan was so powerful.

So, I built my own design out of balsa, ply and carbon fiber. It spans 30" just like the Polaris and uses the same double-delta planform, but mine has a semi-semetrical airfoil. I also omitted the horizontal stab and elevators and went with elivons. It weighs 36 oz. ready to fly. It has a 64mm EDF with a 4000kv outrunner...60amp ESC and 4s 40c lipos.

It is FAST ....Unlimited verticle....... at least 3 rolls per sec. ....It is VERY FAST.....very stable for such a small plane..... Oh, and it is VERY,VERY FAST.!"

Looks FAST to me!!! Maybe the lower thrust line and the semi-semetrical airfoil allows the elevons to be more effective for takeoff rotation.

McD
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: LEDs on my T-28