HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Dec 11, 2012, 01:02 PM
Joined Oct 2010
197 Posts
Yea this esc is not working right when it is cold. When ground testing after the intial first two incidents, the esc started missbehaveing in only about 30 seconds and that is with the battery hatch opened up. It got stuck at half to full throttle in 30 seconds of run time and started putting out smoke before I could get the battery disconnected, about 15 seconds later. The cappacitors sticking out the end look like they are swelled up and I don't even want to plug a battery into this thing again. I have a new esc on the way, it is the same model, maybe I should have tried a different one.
flybyjohn is offline Find More Posts by flybyjohn
to remove ads between posts
Old Dec 11, 2012, 01:51 PM
59 years of RC flying
Canada, ON, Ottawa
Joined Feb 2006
16,162 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by flybyjohn View Post
Yea this esc is not working right when it is cold. When ground testing after the initial first two incidents, the esc started misbehaving in only about 30 seconds and that is with the battery hatch opened up. It got stuck at half to full throttle in 30 seconds of run time and started putting out smoke before I could get the battery disconnected, about 15 seconds later. The capacitors sticking out the end look like they are swelled up and I don't even want to plug a battery into this thing again. I have a new esc on the way, it is the same model, maybe I should have tried a different one.
Don't mess around with ESCs or batteries that are obviously in trouble. They are not going to get better! Any time smoke comes out, it's game over.

Moreover, a defective ESC can cause the battery to explode. If you have never seen a shorted LiPo you can't imagine how scary it can be with not just smoke but big flames shooting out. If only the model is destroyed, you are lucky.
Daedalus66 is online now Find More Posts by Daedalus66
Old Dec 11, 2012, 02:19 PM
Rick
United States, CA, Santa Clara
Joined Mar 2011
1,998 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by flybyjohn View Post
What would cause the speed control to jump to half throttle in the off position to wide open throttle in the full on position while it was currently being run? Could this be a timing issue or a short somewhere, in wires or motor?
Perhaps there was a brownout? Seems unlikely it would have caused all these symptoms but maybe...
choochoo22 is offline Find More Posts by choochoo22
Old Dec 11, 2012, 02:42 PM
59 years of RC flying
Canada, ON, Ottawa
Joined Feb 2006
16,162 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by choochoo22 View Post
Perhaps there was a brownout? Seems unlikely it would have caused all these symptoms but maybe...
You mean that the BEC in the failing ESC provided reduced voltage to the receiver, which then could not control the ESC? I don't think that's it, as brownouts cause complete loss of control (for a short or long time) while the receiver recovers, and from what I understand there was some control above half throttle.

Anyway, it's a bit academic, as if it had happened it would have been just one more mode of failure for the ESC.

As far as I'm concerned, this situation is a classic ESC failure. I've even heard of other cases where the ESC could no longer be properly controlled and the motor continued to run.
Old Dec 11, 2012, 02:45 PM
Northwest Ohio
Joined Jan 2002
2,663 Posts
There is a Santa Claus!!!

After a year of blood, sweat, and tears (did I mention cash!!!), the Polaris Ultra kits are finally in my possession. They arrived this morning after being released from Customs yesterday.

It appears that only one kit was inspected by Customs, at a cost of $440. All the kit boxes are in pristine condition!

Everyone on the waiting list will receive an email before the end of the day with purchase details. The kits will not be on our website for a day or two.

Scott
Model Aero is offline Find More Posts by Model Aero
Old Dec 11, 2012, 02:47 PM
Joined Sep 2006
585 Posts
Congrats Scott. I know its been a lot of effort on your part.
bob93447 is online now Find More Posts by bob93447
Old Dec 11, 2012, 03:19 PM
michigan
Joined Apr 2009
149 Posts
...." O happy day ".......

That is great news Scott ....congrats... I take it the price won't be affected by hold up costs...? are you going to start a new Thread for the Ultra ...???? Have a wonderfull Christmas to you and your family ....
jlions72 is offline Find More Posts by jlions72
Old Dec 11, 2012, 03:31 PM
check for reversed controls
United States, CA, Chino
Joined Oct 2007
10,003 Posts
Yeah they inspected one box. The $440. was for the contraband sniffing dog to smell the rest of em.
alpea 41 is offline Find More Posts by alpea 41
Old Dec 11, 2012, 04:02 PM
Oxford, Michigan, United States
Joined Aug 1999
2,333 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Model Aero View Post
After a year of blood, sweat, and tears (did I mention cash!!!), the Polaris Ultra kits are finally in my possession. They arrived this morning after being released from Customs yesterday.
Congrats Scott!!!
Petefoss is online now Find More Posts by Petefoss
Old Dec 11, 2012, 04:15 PM
Rick
United States, CA, Santa Clara
Joined Mar 2011
1,998 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Daedalus66 View Post
You mean that the BEC in the failing ESC provided reduced voltage to the receiver, which then could not control the ESC? I don't think that's it, as brownouts cause complete loss of control (for a short or long time) while the receiver recovers, and from what I understand there was some control above half throttle.

Anyway, it's a bit academic, as if it had happened it would have been just one more mode of failure for the ESC.

As far as I'm concerned, this situation is a classic ESC failure. I've even heard of other cases where the ESC could no longer be properly controlled and the motor continued to run.
As you say, it's academic as this esc is probably toast. What I was thinking, however, is that a low voltage condition will at some point cause both the rx and esc to shut down and restart, but not necessarily at the same voltage. If the rx was still functioning and the esc reset, when it re-booted it could be seeing half throttle and reset its limits to that.
choochoo22 is offline Find More Posts by choochoo22
Old Dec 11, 2012, 06:08 PM
Northwest Ohio
Joined Jan 2002
2,663 Posts
Thanks guys. I will start a new thread for the Polaris Ultra in the Foamy-Kit section very soon.

In the meantime, here's the build guide for the Ultra.

Scott
Model Aero is offline Find More Posts by Model Aero
Old Dec 11, 2012, 06:15 PM
KK6MQJ
Joined Sep 2004
13,618 Posts
That's one expensive sniffing nose there Scott!

Great news Scott, glad to hear that they are in your possession now and that the nightmare was relatively short.
Bajora is offline Find More Posts by Bajora
RCG Plus Member
Old Dec 11, 2012, 06:28 PM
Singapore, Singapore
Joined Jun 2012
1,812 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Model Aero View Post

It appears that only one kit was inspected by Customs, at a cost of $440. All the kit boxes are in pristine condition!

Everyone on the waiting list will receive an email before the end of the day with purchase details. The kits will not be on our website for a day or two.

Scott
Wooo!
rayonnair is online now Find More Posts by rayonnair
Old Dec 11, 2012, 06:35 PM
59 years of RC flying
Canada, ON, Ottawa
Joined Feb 2006
16,162 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by choochoo22 View Post
As you say, it's academic as this esc is probably toast. What I was thinking, however, is that a low voltage condition will at some point cause both the rx and esc to shut down and restart, but not necessarily at the same voltage. If the rx was still functioning and the esc reset, when it re-booted it could be seeing half throttle and reset its limits to that.
Ah, I see what you mean about the reset. Improbable but not impossible, I think.

ESC failures can be spectacular. Last summer I saw a fairly large EDF have its ESC go bang very loudly in flight and another catch fire in flight.
Old Dec 11, 2012, 06:54 PM
Tony Audsley Retired Locksmith
Australia, WA, Perth
Joined Sep 2011
2,768 Posts
Congratulations on the release of Ulta kits Scott, I hope everything goes well for you now, $440 .. that’s about 3 kits you have already lost money on and a few more at wholesale $$

Oh well mate, count your blessings, it could have been worse eh!!

Lockey
Lockey is offline Find More Posts by Lockey
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Latest Builds