Espritmodel.com Telemetry Radio
Old Dec 04, 2012, 08:20 PM
Singapore, Singapore
Joined Jun 2012
1,695 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Model Aero View Post
Well fellas, we've had a setback on the Polaris Ultra kits. I was informed yesterday that our container was flagged for an intensive examination by US Customs. This means the container will be taken to a third party facility, unloaded and inspected, then repacked and sent on it's way. Of course we are responsible for all costs involved in the inspection process which can run into hundreds to thousands of dollars. And they give you no reason for the inspection.

So all we can do now is wait and hope this gets resolved quickly. Believe me this is not the news I had hoped to report.

Scott
What...?? Why are you responsible for the costs involved in the inspection? And why is there no reason given? That just doesn't sound right at all. Even if the inspection is as a result of you failing to obey a bylaw or regulation you should at the very least be told what you did wrong.

(IANAL in your jurisdiction, it just sounds wrong is all).
rayonnair is offline Find More Posts by rayonnair
to remove ads between posts
Old Dec 04, 2012, 09:34 PM
Northwest Ohio
Joined Jan 2002
2,645 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by rayonnair View Post
What...?? Why are you responsible for the costs involved in the inspection? And why is there no reason given? That just doesn't sound right at all. Even if the inspection is as a result of you failing to obey a bylaw or regulation you should at the very least be told what you did wrong.

(IANAL in your jurisdiction, it just sounds wrong is all).
The law is very clear on this. The importer (Model Aero) is responsible for the cost of third party inspection expenses whether there is any fault on our part or not.

I had FedEx handle this shipment all the way from picking it up in China to delivering at my door, because I figured that gave us the best chance of avoiding problems. We had nothing to do with any of the paperwork, that was all handled by the manufacturer and FedEx. Yet still we got flagged. 3 to 5% of all incoming shipments are inspected from what I read. And if it's the first container you bring in, the chances are much higher.

It is a very bitter pill to swallow, that's for sure.

Scott
Model Aero is offline Find More Posts by Model Aero
Old Dec 04, 2012, 10:09 PM
KK6MQJ
Joined Sep 2004
13,581 Posts
THAT just stinks Scott. Sitting here shaking my head. I hope that this doesn't get any worse for you and that it ends up being but a small bump in this road.
Bajora is online now Find More Posts by Bajora
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Vaterra Ford Raptor with AVC
Old Dec 04, 2012, 10:25 PM
59 years of RC flying
Canada, ON, Ottawa
Joined Feb 2006
15,940 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by pistnbroke View Post
The bad news is, my AUW with a 2200 mAh battery is 654 grams (23.069 oz). I am probably going to get some 1800 mAh batteries to try and rescue some weight.

Without battery, it weighs 468 grams (16.05 oz)
I was hoping to keep it at around 22 oz, may have been a little liberal with the epoxy.
With tapes on, I think it may be too heavy ( am not going to go mad with coloured tapes).

Regards
Ian
Don't worry, it will fly fine. All you will sacrifice is some very low speed handling and a little climb rate.

I fly mine with batteries from 1500 20C to 2200 30C. The weight ranges from about 21oz to 25oz. I like it better light, but I enjoy it at any weight. I also enjoy the 35oz AquaJet, which has about the same wing area.

Next time build a bit lighter, but in the meantime enjoy!
Daedalus66 is offline Find More Posts by Daedalus66
Old Dec 04, 2012, 10:30 PM
Singapore, Singapore
Joined Jun 2012
1,695 Posts
Quote:
The law is very clear on this. The importer (Model Aero) is responsible for the cost of third party inspection expenses whether there is any fault on our part or not.

I had FedEx handle this shipment all the way from picking it up in China to delivering at my door, because I figured that gave us the best chance of avoiding problems. We had nothing to do with any of the paperwork, that was all handled by the manufacturer and FedEx. Yet still we got flagged. 3 to 5% of all incoming shipments are inspected from what I read. And if it's the first container you bring in, the chances are much higher.

It is a very bitter pill to swallow, that's for sure.

Scott
/facepalm

That sucks man. What a gigantic addition to the cost of doing business.
Old Dec 04, 2012, 10:48 PM
Park Jet Guru
Seattle, WA
Joined Jun 2002
5,589 Posts
Whoa,sorry to hear that Scott! That really stinks. I'm amazed they make you responsible for the costs for the inspection even though it's no fault of yours. How's a small business like yours expected to stay in business (or even try to conduct international business) with cost hits like that?
jetset44 is offline Find More Posts by jetset44
Old Dec 04, 2012, 10:59 PM
Dr John
Lake Placid, Florida
Joined Dec 2001
2,712 Posts
Quote:
Well fellas, we've had a setback on the Polaris Ultra kits. I was informed yesterday that our container was flagged for an intensive examination by US Customs. This means the container will be taken to a third party facility, unloaded and inspected, then repacked and sent on it's way. Of course we are responsible for all costs involved in the inspection process which can run into hundreds to thousands of dollars. And they give you no reason for the inspection.

So all we can do now is wait and hope this gets resolved quickly. Believe me this is not the news I had hoped to report.

Scott
Welcome to the wonderful world of manufacturing overseas. Now lets just hope that once through customs the product is up to spec. A few years`back I was working for a small US model boat manufacturer who decided to save the cost of a full time machinist by having parts made in China. We ended up still needing a machinist to rework the 60% of parts that were not in spec and wouldn't fit together. I still remember a container load of driver figures that all had slanty eyes and yellow skin. No the Chinese will not take stuff back, you bought, you own. Best of luck.

Dr John
pmpjohn is offline Find More Posts by pmpjohn
Old Dec 04, 2012, 11:19 PM
Northwest Ohio
Joined Jan 2002
2,645 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by jetset44 View Post
Whoa,sorry to hear that Scott! That really stinks. I'm amazed they make you responsible for the costs for the inspection even though it's no fault of yours. How's a small business like yours expected to stay in business (or even try to conduct international business) with cost hits like that?
It is hard to believe especially since we tax payers already fund the Customs Dept. I guess they do it because they can.

Anyway, I apologize for clogging up the thread with this issue, I just wanted to let the guys on the wait list know what's going on. Fingers crossed.......

Now back to Polaris.

Scott
Model Aero is offline Find More Posts by Model Aero
Old Dec 04, 2012, 11:36 PM
absolutely maybe
Australia, WA, Currambine
Joined Apr 2011
539 Posts
Daedalus66,

That's encouraging about the weight of my craft as I was a little worried. I hope to get some colour on tonight, see if I can save weight anywhere and just plain enjoy it!

Regards
Ian
pistnbroke is online now Find More Posts by pistnbroke
Old Dec 05, 2012, 02:44 AM
United States, OR, Portland
Joined Jan 2008
1,784 Posts
Looks like my AUW is at 600gm with a 2100 venom LiPo. Its about 410gm empty. Still a little bit more epoxy and some paint and decals are going on but I'm pretty happy with this weight! I did use epoxy every place I was supposed to but I used a little less overall I think. Can't wait to show you guys the finished product; I'm not quite there yet.
seeingeyegod is offline Find More Posts by seeingeyegod
Old Dec 05, 2012, 09:07 AM
Tony Audsley Retired Locksmith
Australia, WA, Perth
Joined Sep 2011
2,498 Posts
Scott, I really am sorry to hear about your seizure, its an awful thing to happen.

It has happened to me a few times with smaller consignments from China and the UK but I haven’t had any money to pay, I don’t know what the laws in Australia are regarding this.

I do hope it isn’t held up too long and that your expenses aren’t too high AND that they do not damage the goods too much

Best regards

Lockey
Lockey is offline Find More Posts by Lockey
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Mig-15
Old Dec 05, 2012, 09:40 AM
Singapore, Singapore
Joined Jun 2012
1,695 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by seeingeyegod View Post
Looks like my AUW is at 600gm with a 2100 venom LiPo. Its about 410gm empty. Still a little bit more epoxy and some paint and decals are going on but I'm pretty happy with this weight! I did use epoxy every place I was supposed to but I used a little less overall I think. Can't wait to show you guys the finished product; I'm not quite there yet.
Nice AUW. I hope you've done something unique with the decoration, gotta impress the gallery .
Old Dec 05, 2012, 10:01 AM
59 years of RC flying
Canada, ON, Ottawa
Joined Feb 2006
15,940 Posts
Ready for Winter

Here's Old Faithful, my first Polaris, battered but still going strong since 2009, together with the transmitter enclosed for cold weather.

It looked last week as though we might have serious snow, but yesterday set an all-time December temperature record of 17C for Ottawa. Nevertheless, I dug out my cold weather transmitter "glove" (not to be confused with the even warmer insulated "muff" they also sell) and tried a couple of flights.

Flying with bare hands inside the enclosure is vastly superior to either letting your fingers get numb or wearing even very thin gloves.

The other main precaution for winter flying (below freezing) is to close off any vents and keep the batteries in an inside pocket. They don't take kindly to operating much below about 5C (40F).

Flying a Polaris off fresh snow on a calm and sunny winter day is one of the great pleasures.
Daedalus66 is offline Find More Posts by Daedalus66
Old Dec 05, 2012, 11:04 AM
Joined Oct 2010
196 Posts
I was wondering if anyone has had a problem with the Velcro in the battery compartment pulling out every time the battery is removed. I have tried to glue it down with epoxy, coat the whole tray with thinned down epoxy and attach a piece of tape to the floor and then attach the Velcro to the tape and it stilled pulled out. I think I am going to take two pieces of foam and glue them to the floor just wide enough for the battery to fit between and then attached a piece of Velcro that will wrap over the top of the battery and attach to another piece of Velcro on the top of the battery. The foam will keep the battery from sliding side to side and the top Velcro will keep from sliding front to back. This way I donít have to pull up off the floor to undo the Velcro, I can hold onto the battery while I pull the Velcro off it.
flybyjohn is offline Find More Posts by flybyjohn
Old Dec 05, 2012, 11:34 AM
United Kingdom, Aviemore
Joined Feb 2005
3,244 Posts
A couple of mates have done there's how you describe. I did something similar to start off with but was surprised at how much weight it added and it wasn't very flexible for using different sized battery's. I took it all out and went with one strip of velcro down the centre, something I don't usually like to do but I haven't had one move yet. I used UHU Por on the foam first, let it tack up then stuck on the velcro, solid as a brick out house.
Aviefly is offline Find More Posts by Aviefly