HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Oct 30, 2012, 02:53 AM
United Kingdom, Aviemore
Joined Feb 2005
3,244 Posts
Once again FatherAndSons fantastic video. It's not often I'll sit and watch an entire nearly ten minutes of video but that was great. Very happy for you and hope you stay with us here on RCG.
Aviefly is offline Find More Posts by Aviefly
to remove ads between posts
Old Oct 30, 2012, 03:15 AM
Aussie, Aussie, Aussie!
Melbourne, Australia
Joined Apr 2009
1,184 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by FatherAndSons View Post
OK guys. Here is the maiden flight that I have been promising. Actually, it is the maiden flight plus multiple other back to back flights. Sooo much fun.

I hope you enjoy this video as much as I enjoyed making it!

http://youtu.be/gtK8nNJmkjw

P.S. I have to apologize to all of you on the RCGroups forum. I have gained a lot from reading through this thread in the short time that I have been a member. Even though I just barely started posting to the forum, I have been benefiting from reading your posts for some time. I had fully intended to thank RCGroups and each of you that have contributed to this Polaris thread, (along with the members of the RCPowers forum that originally helped me learn to fly) but I somehow lost that screen at the end of the video. Anyway, please accept my sincerest thanks. I feel quite badly that somehow the screen shot thanking RCGroups got lost in video editing. At least my thanks to Steve Shumate is still there.

Thank you for sharing this plane and your experience with me and others!

Bryce
Nicely done F&S! Successful maiden - Gold. Wife's commentary - Priceless.

I couldn't help but note the statement at the start of the video of how fast the Polaris is when flying. It is, and it can equally fly VERY slow too, which to your credit you got worked out by the end of your video.

I can see you are going to get very good very quickly with a flying site like that. That ones a keeper (the wife too)
nrg2go is online now Find More Posts by nrg2go
Old Oct 30, 2012, 05:02 AM
Aus
ʎןɟ inverted ɹǝpunuʍop
Australia, ACT, Amaroo
Joined Jul 2011
1,095 Posts
Yes Bryce, great video.

As you continue to get to know the Polaris, I recommend you make a target similar to what's in this spot landing video nrg2go and I put together earlier this year.

http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showp...ostcount=15437

This was our first day using the target and I found it very humbling - much harder than I expected. Nrg2go made the target and subsequently refined it a little. He may be able to provide more details if required. The target now comes to the pond whenever we fly there, and I like to think my landings have improved because of this. Well, I no longer land on the bank .
Aus is online now Find More Posts by Aus
RCG Plus Member
Old Oct 30, 2012, 05:08 AM
Aussie, Aussie, Aussie!
Melbourne, Australia
Joined Apr 2009
1,184 Posts
That still makes me laugh Too much fun!
Old Oct 30, 2012, 06:17 AM
unconventional :-)
Brisbane north, Australia
Joined Feb 2009
2,114 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aus View Post
Yes Bryce, great video.

As you continue to get to know the Polaris, I recommend you make a target similar to what's in this spot landing video nrg2go and I put together earlier this year.

This was our first day using the target and I found it very humbling - much harder than I expected. Nrg2go made the target and subsequently refined it a little. He may be able to provide more details if required. The target now comes to the pond whenever we fly there, and I like to think my landings have improved because of this. Well, I no longer land on the bank .
AUS, my 80% Polaris was a delight to spot land since it have very little glide capability, but stable as a gyro.

I am going to start work on the replacement this weekend. 80% scale, detachable wings, salt water proof. Yeah baby
kadil is online now Find More Posts by kadil
Old Oct 30, 2012, 06:21 AM
Aus
ʎןɟ inverted ɹǝpunuʍop
Australia, ACT, Amaroo
Joined Jul 2011
1,095 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by kadil View Post
AUS, my 80% Polaris was a delight to spot land since it have very little glide capability, but stable as a gyro.

I am going to start work on the replacement this weekend. 80% scale, detachable wings, salt water proof. Yeah baby
Excellent, I'm interested in the detachable wings and salt water proofing and will eagerly await your posts. I think I'll stick with 100% or bigger for now though.

Did you get any Brisbane area interest for your depron purchase?
Aus is online now Find More Posts by Aus
RCG Plus Member
Old Oct 30, 2012, 06:26 AM
Aussie, Aussie, Aussie!
Melbourne, Australia
Joined Apr 2009
1,184 Posts
Quote:

As usual we await updates and progress. I 2nd the 100% or greater approach. The smaller they get the more responsive they get, besides if you go with removable wings you can go bigger not smaller.
Old Oct 30, 2012, 06:37 AM
Joined Feb 2009
2,114 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by nrg2go View Post
... if you go with removable wings you can go bigger not smaller.
care to elaborate?
Old Oct 30, 2012, 10:51 AM
59 years of RC flying
Canada, ON, Ottawa
Joined Feb 2006
16,062 Posts
Quote:
I 2nd the 100% or greater approach. The smaller they get the more responsive they get.
Me too. I fly the Mini (75%), Regular/Original/Park Flyer (100%) and the XL (133%). I love them all, but in the end I come back to 100% size for most of my flying. Maybe the is the Goldilocks effect!

I think they all fly very similarly, except for the increased responsiveness as size reduces. But other people who fly them often emphasize the differences. I've had people feel totally comfortable with the XL but then find the 100% too quick for their liking (and a couple who were the other way, finding the XL too staid for their taste). And some people who are perfectly comfortable with the 100% find the Mini a handful to fly.

One thing you can say is that the smaller the model, the more important it is to get the control setup right. Too much throw or a servo with a bad spot will have much more impact on a small model. Flying the Mini this summer, I had a three-rate flight mode setup. Low rate was just right for normal flying and made landings and takeoffs easy. Medium rate was quite lively for high alpha and tight aerobatics. High rate was too much for normal flying and the one flight on which I tried a landing using high rate I had a hard time not dropping a wing in the water or stalling the model and dropping it in.
Daedalus66 is offline Find More Posts by Daedalus66
Old Oct 30, 2012, 11:41 AM
United States, IL, Glenview
Joined Sep 2011
446 Posts
I am ready to fill in the holes for the control rods with this http://www.homedepot.com/buy/lucas-o...ase-10533.html

does anyone have experience using this stuff? for some reason I think grease would eat or deform the foam or am I being paranoid?
RC_Crazy23 is offline Find More Posts by RC_Crazy23
Old Oct 30, 2012, 03:43 PM
Joined Feb 2009
2,114 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Daedalus66 View Post
Me too. I fly the Mini (75%), Regular/Original/Park Flyer (100%) and the XL (133%). I love them all, but in the end I come back to 100% size for most of my flying. Maybe the is the Goldilocks effect!

I think they all fly very similarly, except for the increased responsiveness as size reduces. But other people who fly them often emphasize the differences. I've had people feel totally comfortable with the XL but then find the 100% too quick for their liking (and a couple who were the other way, finding the XL too staid for their taste). And some people who are perfectly comfortable with the 100% find the Mini a handful to fly.

One thing you can say is that the smaller the model, the more important it is to get the control setup right. Too much throw or a servo with a bad spot will have much more impact on a small model. Flying the Mini this summer, I had a three-rate flight mode setup. Low rate was just right for normal flying and made landings and takeoffs easy. Medium rate was quite lively for high alpha and tight aerobatics. High rate was too much for normal flying and the one flight on which I tried a landing using high rate I had a hard time not dropping a wing in the water or stalling the model and dropping it in.
Yes the characteristics of the model do change with scale, but I am curious to see if a rebuild will replicate the benefits I saw last time. Maybe it had something to do with the lowered battery position and 20% higher nacelle I had on this model. Control at mid-alpha, slow approaches was incredibly stable, hence spot landings were easy. Quite handy when landing in confined areas.

And for detachable wings on smaller models, never say never.

I won't be setting up multi rate control, I don't trust myself to select the right rate while my heart is pounding.

Enough theory and speculating, time for building and photo's.
Old Oct 30, 2012, 05:55 PM
59 years of RC flying
Canada, ON, Ottawa
Joined Feb 2006
16,062 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by RC_Crazy23 View Post
I am ready to fill in the holes for the control rods with this http://www.homedepot.com/buy/lucas-o...ase-10533.html

does anyone have experience using this stuff? for some reason I think grease would eat or deform the foam or am I being paranoid?
There's no question of filling holes with grease (though it won't eat the foam). The pushrods should go through small diameter plastic tubing. All you need is a light costing of Vaseline on the wire. In fact, no grease at all is needed to keep water out if the tubes are suitable size. It's mainly a matter of preventing rust.

The pictures in my blog show the setup. Also consult the manual on the ModelAero.com website.
Old Oct 30, 2012, 07:38 PM
United States, IL, Glenview
Joined Sep 2011
446 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Daedalus66 View Post
There's no question of filling holes with grease (though it won't eat the foam). The pushrods should go through small diameter plastic tubing. All you need is a light costing of Vaseline on the wire. In fact, no grease at all is needed to keep water out if the tubes are suitable size. It's mainly a matter of preventing rust.

The pictures in my blog show the setup. Also consult the manual on the ModelAero.com website.
The first time I made a hole it wasn't at the correct angle so I had to make the hole larger to get it right. I bought some grease at an auto part store that's thick and a silicone based.
RC_Crazy23 is offline Find More Posts by RC_Crazy23
Old Oct 30, 2012, 07:47 PM
59 years of RC flying
Canada, ON, Ottawa
Joined Feb 2006
16,062 Posts
Quote:
The first time I made a hole it wasn't at the correct angle so I had to make the hole larger to get it right. I bought some grease at an auto part store that's thick and a silicone based.
Don't use grease to fill the hole! It will make a mess and not do the job.

Simply cut out the piece with the wrong hole in it and splice in a new piece of Depron (cut out as small a piece as possible in a rectangular shape). Then do the job properly. Glue the plastic tube in place using the push rod to align it. I use epoxy and microballoons to glue the plastic tube in place but there are other possibilities.
Old Oct 30, 2012, 08:50 PM
United States, UT, Tooele
Joined Aug 2012
61 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by jetset44 View Post
FANTASTIC video, Bryce! Nice model, beautiful flying site, interesting commentary, and very nicely edited video. That was fun to watch! I, too, am jealous of your beautiful flying site...

You're welcome for the plans! And thanks for posting your experience. Stories and videos like this REALLY make my day!

Steve
Steve, I am glad that you continue to enjoy watching the thousands of planes that appear to have been built. You did a fine job. The plans may say that they are free, but I hope that everyone out there reward you with a donation for the incredible plans. You deserve it. There are not many people in the entire world that have impacted so many people in such a personal way as you have. Thousands have been impacted by your work. What is even more special than the vast number of people that you have impacted is the fact that most of us that have built the Polaris are passionate about it. You have changed lives. I will always have my "go to plane" with me when I fly. Thank you VERY MUCH

Quote:
Originally Posted by seeingeyegod View Post
Great maiden video and beautiful spot fatherandsons. Is this the first plane you've flown off your "backyard"?

I just want to come say LOOK my new nose is almost done!
This is the first plane that I have ever flown from my backyard and first plane flown from water. As I have read through this thread, many have questioned if this is a good trainer, 2nd plane, 3rd plane etc... My level of experience: I built and flew the RCPowers F22 on elevons only. My first flight ever was my F22 maiden on May 19, 2012. This is my 2nd plane. Scared me at first, but now...I have fallen in love again

Quote:
Originally Posted by rayonnair View Post
It's happened twice now, both because of pilot error. First time was on a wrong landing angle. Second time was after one of the bounces due to having too fast a landing speed. Unfortunately no video. Maybe when it's time to retire the Polaris I'll set it up
OK Rayonnair. I guess this is a test of your level of dedication to this Forum. If you were really committed to the success of this incredible forum, you would do whatever necessary to help me learn (and provide a high level of entertainment for the rest of the forum) what this Torpedo move is. OK. This is challenge. I just don't get it. Please set it up and catch it on video. This is for the forum. Can you do it?

Quote:
Hey Bryce,

Nice work on the build, maiden and video. I think everyone is jealous of your real estate.

NRG,

Move to Melbourne? Not for all the foam in the world
Kadil,

This is a beautiful place to live. We have been blessed to raise our family in such a peaceful beautiful place. I am grateful.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aviefly View Post
Once again FatherAndSons fantastic video. It's not often I'll sit and watch an entire nearly ten minutes of video but that was great. Very happy for you and hope you stay with us here on RCG.
Aviefly,
I am glad that you enjoyed the video. I enjoyed making it for sure. I will be a lifetime Polaris pilot and plan to enjoy this thread for years to come.

Quote:
Nicely done F&S! Successful maiden - Gold. Wife's commentary - Priceless.

I couldn't help but note the statement at the start of the video of how fast the Polaris is when flying. It is, and it can equally fly VERY slow too, which to your credit you got worked out by the end of your video.

I can see you are going to get very good very quickly with a flying site like that. That ones a keeper (the wife too)
nrg2go, you are right. The more I flew, the more I recognized the great speed range of the Polaris. Very fast and very slow. Loved it.

Is your last sentence implying that I am not already VERY GOOD? My Mom was proud of me and has already told me that I was very good. Maybe...she...is...biased and I still have a lot to learn.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aus View Post
Yes Bryce, great video.

AUS and nrg2go,

I loved the target. I will be making one. The video was hilarious. Each landing seemed to have unique personality. Is that possible? Loved it. I was hoping for more of "The Ugly" at the end though. Can you make a "The Ugly" video take 2 with a whole bunch more landings like that one? I like seeing other people mess up. I'm not the only one???

Quote:

I have a friend that is an anesthesiologist. He hooked me up with a syringe and some flexible tubing (for an I.V.) from the hospital where he works. I filled the syringe and flexible I.V. tube with vaseline and then inserted it into each of the control rod guide tubes. Then I injected vaseline into the guide tubes until vaseline came out the other side. Tubes are completely full of vaseline. It was very easy and worked well.
FatherAndSons is online now Find More Posts by FatherAndSons