Espritmodel.com Telemetry Radio
Old Sep 12, 2012, 10:33 PM
59 years of RC flying
Canada, ON, Ottawa
Joined Feb 2006
15,933 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by choochoo22 View Post
With a kv that low, wouldn't it be feasible to use a 4s battery? This could cause an issue with the bec but it should get the rpm back into 6x4 range.
On 4s, a 1300 KV motor becomes like a about a 1700 KV on 3s in terms of prop speed. Not quite enough for best performance on a 6x4 but might be OK with 6x4x3 or 6x5.

You need an ESC that can do 4s. In particular, the BEC needs to be able to drive 3 servos at 4s -- something most won't do reliably.

You also need a slightly unusual battery. Not too many people have say 4s 1500.

So the answer is that you could do 4s with the 1300 motor, but it's probably more trouble and expense than just using the standard 2200 KV motor. It's these sorts of considerations that made me say there's no practical way to do it.

By the way, I flew the XL with a 1500 motor on a 4s 2200. I had to reduce the prop from the usual 8x6x3 to 7x6x2. It worked OK but I returned to 3s as there was no real advantage and I only had two batteries.
Daedalus66 is offline Find More Posts by Daedalus66
Last edited by Daedalus66; Sep 13, 2012 at 06:06 AM.
to remove ads between posts
Old Sep 13, 2012, 10:37 PM
Joined Sep 2006
571 Posts
New "Duck" tape

My local Home Depot in SoCal started to carry black and white Checkerboard "Duck" tape a few months ago. Since I finally wore out the back tape on the wingtip floats, I finally decided to buy some and try it out. While I was at it I did the hull too as I am always looking for enhanced visibility.

Bob
bob93447 is offline Find More Posts by bob93447
Old Sep 14, 2012, 02:40 PM
United States, OR, Portland
Joined Jan 2008
1,784 Posts
Started making the engine nacelle last night and melted some of the foam with my heat gun trying to make the bend in it Trying to decide whether to just live with it or make a new nacelle piece.
seeingeyegod is offline Find More Posts by seeingeyegod
Old Sep 14, 2012, 03:25 PM
United States, SC, Irmo
Joined Mar 2012
2,393 Posts
I'd make a new one if its really bad. If not then go with it. I broke a side piece of my nacelle trying to bend it. Just glued it with some CA and it worked out fine. It all comes down to personal choice and does it look and perform right.

Tom
carr52 is offline Find More Posts by carr52
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: T-38 Talon
Old Sep 14, 2012, 05:13 PM
Texas Buzzard
McAllen,Texas
Joined Mar 2004
1,034 Posts
3 Year old Polaris

Jetset44 gave us a great plane in the "Polaris"
I have built three over a 3 year period. I takeoff the grass and can fly in winds up to 14 mph.

The motor is a 2812-06 w/ a 6 x 4 prop. Am using a 1200 mAh 3S Lipo.
Texas Buzzard is offline Find More Posts by Texas Buzzard
Old Sep 14, 2012, 05:23 PM
59 years of RC flying
Canada, ON, Ottawa
Joined Feb 2006
15,933 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Texas Buzzard View Post
Jetset44 gave us a great plane in the "Polaris"
I have built three over a 3 year period. I takeoff the grass and can fly in winds up to 14 mph.

The motor is a 2812-06 w/ a 6 x 4 prop. Am using a 1200 mAh 3S Lipo.
It looks as though you did the motor mount and some other things differently. Maybe you could explain a bit.
Old Sep 14, 2012, 05:57 PM
Which way is up?
Michigan, USA
Joined Mar 2008
686 Posts
Yes, I looked for the familiar nacelle, and didnt see it (a word I never heard of untill about 3 months ago, lol. Lots of new words in this aviation hobby, alot I have heard, but never knew what exactly they meant.)
stuball56 is offline Find More Posts by stuball56
Old Sep 14, 2012, 06:17 PM
It Flys Me
United States, PA, Washington
Joined Jun 2012
76 Posts
Revised Nacelle Design

On the pdf of revised nacelle , it has a horizontal tail . Do I need this or can
I use the old one ?

Thanks, Alan
aldalo is offline Find More Posts by aldalo
Old Sep 14, 2012, 08:58 PM
Joined Jun 2011
257 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by seeingeyegod View Post
Started making the engine nacelle last night and melted some of the foam with my heat gun trying to make the bend in it Trying to decide whether to just live with it or make a new nacelle piece.
The easiest way to bend Depron is to put masking tape on the outside of the bend. This causes the inside to compress without stressing the outside.
Ramblin is offline Find More Posts by Ramblin
Old Sep 14, 2012, 10:15 PM
59 years of RC flying
Canada, ON, Ottawa
Joined Feb 2006
15,933 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by aldalo View Post
On the pdf of revised nacelle , it has a horizontal tail . Do I need this or can I use the old one ?

Thanks, Alan
Not sure what you are asking. The horizontal tail is not optional on either the original or the revised nacelle.

I would advise following the later design, as it was revised for a reason.
Last edited by Daedalus66; Sep 14, 2012 at 10:21 PM.
Old Sep 14, 2012, 11:13 PM
Aus
ʎןɟ inverted ɹǝpunuʍop
Australia, ACT, Amaroo
Joined Jul 2011
1,065 Posts
Polarii-Palooza

We were able to gather nine Polarii together this morning for a great mornings flying. Nrg2go, Ghost who walks, Mikejo_au and myself enjoyed near perfect conditions draining many batteries.

Who else has been flying?

Aus.
Aus is offline Find More Posts by Aus
RCG Plus Member
Old Sep 15, 2012, 12:59 AM
Singapore, Singapore
Joined Jun 2012
1,691 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aus View Post
We were able to gather nine Polarii together this morning for a great mornings flying. Nrg2go, Ghost who walks, Mikejo_au and myself enjoyed near perfect conditions draining many batteries.

Who else has been flying?

Aus.
Me! The other pilot's Polarii are "coming soon" so it was just me and the hatcam.

Hatcam footage is hard though. All my flight vids were unusable, the plane being too small to see. So all you get is a video of take offs, landings, and what I generously like to call touch-and-goes. Half of it is twitchy because I was on 100% throws and no expo, and I couldn't figure out why the Polaris was so twitchy... If you squint you can see bubbles where turtles are startled into hiding when I get close.

Steve Shumate Polaris Hatcam 15.09.12 (5 min 16 sec)

I need to get a hatcam with a better lens or something.

The 1800mah nanotechs and 2200mah zippy compacts were perfect. I should not have used the 2250mah high discharge nanotechs for this bird, they were too heavy. 6-7 min gentle flying and you land at storage charge .

Aus, you must post vids! The big Polaris with the jagged leading edge and what looks like dihedral at the end looks interesting to fly, as does the tiny one in front.
rayonnair is offline Find More Posts by rayonnair
Old Sep 15, 2012, 01:33 AM
Aus
ʎןɟ inverted ɹǝpunuʍop
Australia, ACT, Amaroo
Joined Jul 2011
1,065 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by rayonnair View Post
Aus, you must post vids! The big Polaris with the jagged leading edge and what looks like dihedral at the end looks interesting to fly, as does the tiny one in front.
I didn't take any video today - too busy flying .

The two planes you refer to are by 'Ghost who walks'. I'll leave it to him to elaborate further. I'm sure he'll post something later tonight.

Glad to see your flight was successful. How did you find the orientation?
RCG Plus Member
Old Sep 15, 2012, 02:35 AM
Singapore, Singapore
Joined Jun 2012
1,691 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aus View Post
I didn't take any video today - too busy flying .

The two planes you refer to are by 'Ghost who walks'. I'll leave it to him to elaborate further. I'm sure he'll post something later tonight.

Glad to see your flight was successful. How did you find the orientation?
Not great, but not as bad as I thought it would be. I do have a colour plan, I just have to get to it done. Once I complete something that can fly I usually just want to fly it.

I feel like the Polaris is made for the water. I did a "slam and go" on the grass earlier this morning. Quite hilarious.
rayonnair is offline Find More Posts by rayonnair
Old Sep 15, 2012, 03:05 AM
Aus
ʎןɟ inverted ɹǝpunuʍop
Australia, ACT, Amaroo
Joined Jul 2011
1,065 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by rayonnair View Post
Not great, but not as bad as I thought it would be. I do have a colour plan, I just have to get to it done. Once I complete something that can fly I usually just want to fly it.

I feel like the Polaris is made for the water. I did a "slam and go" on the grass earlier this morning. Quite hilarious.
Until you get to apply your color scheme of choice, I recommend you apply some color packing tape before you next fly. This can easily be removed before you apply your final finish. I agree with you, the fun factor is greatly amplified when on the water.
RCG Plus Member