HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old May 04, 2009, 08:42 PM
Northwest Ohio
Joined Jan 2002
2,674 Posts
Polaris #3

Here's Polaris #3 with some simple cooling scoops. I haven't had problems with the ESC cutting out on # 1 and 2 but the ESC does get hot. Too hot for my liking. So, we'll try this method and see how it works.

Scott

www.ModelAero.com
Model Aero is online now Find More Posts by Model Aero
to remove ads between posts
Old May 05, 2009, 02:45 AM
Rich
USA, SC, Lexington
Joined Sep 2001
1,134 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by galloping ghost
Here's Polaris #3 with some simple cooling scoops. I haven't had problems with the ESC cutting out on # 1 and 2 but the ESC does get hot. Too hot for my liking. So, we'll try this method and see how it works.

Scott

www.ModelAero.com
Looking good and appears to be very efficient as well. Haven't reached that point in the build, but will do much the same. Will be flying in ambient temps down here in the middle 90's. May need to rig up a holder for some ice cubes to cool the air.
Rich
flycracker is offline Find More Posts by flycracker
Old May 05, 2009, 02:14 PM
A 3rd dimension?
Everett, WA.
Joined Feb 2005
128 Posts
OK, I couldnt take it any more... I just ordered one.
rcboats1 is offline Find More Posts by rcboats1
Old May 05, 2009, 03:34 PM
USA, VA, Radford
Joined Mar 2002
183 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by rcboats1
OK, I couldnt take it any more... I just ordered one.

You'll never forget your first time

george l
george l is offline Find More Posts by george l
Old May 05, 2009, 11:14 PM
Park Jet Guru
Seattle, WA
Joined Jun 2002
5,612 Posts
Great looking scoop, Scott! That's exactly what I would do with my model if I were having a problem with overheating. Did you also mount the ESC above the wing so it's more exposed to the cooling air?

I was thinking you could even install a "boundary layer diverter" (like on most of my park jets) to help keep water from draining into the airplane. I could just be a couple layers of 3mm Depron or 1/8" balsa at the bottom of the scoop. Wouldn't prevent water ingression, just reduce it.

Steve
jetset44 is offline Find More Posts by jetset44
Old May 06, 2009, 08:13 AM
Northwest Ohio
Joined Jan 2002
2,674 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by jetset44
Great looking scoop, Scott! That's exactly what I would do with my model if I were having a problem with overheating. Did you also mount the ESC above the wing so it's more exposed to the cooling air?

I was thinking you could even install a "boundary layer diverter" (like on most of my park jets) to help keep water from draining into the airplane. I could just be a couple layers of 3mm Depron or 1/8" balsa at the bottom of the scoop. Wouldn't prevent water ingression, just reduce it.

Steve
Thanks Steve. In the middle photo, you can actually see the ESC through the scoop. I thought about rigging up something to help keep water out, but I'm going to try it as is. I don't believe water intrusion will be a problem, unless I land inverted. Anyhow, most of my flying is done off grass.

On another note, I have this Polaris running a 2212-10 motor with an APC 7 x 6 Slow Fly prop. Someone suggested this combination many posts back. It pulls 15 amps and I will be flying on a Dualsky GT 1300 battery. Taxi tests show excellent power and I hope to maiden this ship today.

Scott

www.ModelAero.com
Old May 06, 2009, 09:27 AM
Joined Nov 2005
4,404 Posts
Protect your electronics ( Rx and ESC ) with Corrosion X , it does not matter how hard you try to seal water out , if you are flying off water , things will get wet .

I fly almost exclusively off water , with Corrosion X protection , I have even paddled inverted planes back to shore with the prop .

It is easy and it works !
lake flyer is offline Find More Posts by lake flyer
Old May 06, 2009, 12:24 PM
Northwest Ohio
Joined Jan 2002
2,674 Posts
Polaris Test Flights

Just got back from the field after flying the two Polaris's with cooling vents and I can report the scoops work great!

The Transport has the 2212-6, 6/4 prop, and TP 2100 pack. After a few minutes of hard flying, we landed her and the 30 amp ESC was moderately warm, but nothing like it gets without cooling.

The Coast Guard bird has the 2212-10, 7/6 Slow Fly prop, and 1300 battery. This set-up draws 15 amps and the ESC never got more than just barely warm. This is a great set-up. It is about 5-7 mph slower than the 2212-6 package, but the vertical is still there, and it flies very, very well. We also flew it with a TP-2100 battery and you could notice the extra weight, but it still flew great.

I was most impressed with the 7/6 SF prop. It is superior to the 7/5 E if you plan on running the 2212-10 motor.

I was also happy with how well the cooling vents worked.

Scott

www.ModelAero.com
Old May 06, 2009, 12:28 PM
Retired and Lovin' it!
United States, KY, Sturgis
Joined Jul 2007
2,529 Posts
Thanks, Scott. You have just substantiated what I have been preaching all along about the 2212-10 in the Polaris. It is just a super little motor and it doesn't draw the amps like the 2212-06. I am going to have to try the 7x6 APC SF prop though. I had tried another type 7x6 and it wasn't as good and it did cause some heating.

Tony
tpfing is offline Find More Posts by tpfing
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: North Las Vegas 1971
Old May 06, 2009, 01:32 PM
Northwest Ohio
Joined Jan 2002
2,674 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by tpfing
Thanks, Scott. You have just substantiated what I have been preaching all along about the 2212-10 in the Polaris. It is just a super little motor and it doesn't draw the amps like the 2212-06. I am going to have to try the 7x6 APC SF prop though. I had tried another type 7x6 and it wasn't as good and it did cause some heating.

Tony
If you like the 7/5 E, I believe you'll be thrilled with the APC 7/6 SF. It surprised me. Draws an amp less, and performs better. That's a win-win!

Scott

www.ModelAero.com
Old May 06, 2009, 04:52 PM
Just a plane Junkie
Portland, Oregon
Joined May 2002
461 Posts
Fuselage covering

The 3M 6mil Paint Protection Film for cars was quite expensive but I found a similar 8mil film (12"x24") for $12 shipped on ebay.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eB...m=380082069516

I'll post again when I try it out.

Cheers,
Jon
apex is offline Find More Posts by apex
Old May 06, 2009, 05:23 PM
United States, NY, Strykersville
Joined Feb 2007
165 Posts
Scott-now for the big question. What are they made of ?
chris butcher is offline Find More Posts by chris butcher
Old May 06, 2009, 08:16 PM
Northwest Ohio
Joined Jan 2002
2,674 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by chris butcher
Scott-now for the big question. What are they made of ?
The cooling scoops are simply 2 mm Depron cut to shape, then taped around a paint can and hit with a heat gun to take a set.

There are endless methods and materials you could make the scoops with. We may include the pieces with the kit and instructions on how to do it. There's no wrong way to do it, so long as you get some air moving through the fuse and over the ESC.

Scott

www.ModelAero.com
Old May 06, 2009, 08:45 PM
'FPV'er...not a "LOS'er
Las Vegas, NV
Joined Sep 2003
18,389 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by lake flyer
Protect your electronics ( Rx and ESC ) with Corrosion X , it does not matter how hard you try to seal water out , if you are flying off water , things will get wet .

I fly almost exclusively off water , with Corrosion X protection , I have even paddled inverted planes back to shore with the prop .

It is easy and it works !
Yep, I use Corrosion X also. But 'paddling' back to shore with the prop on an inverted airplane...well...ROTFLMAO!!!! I'd LOVE to see that, though I hope I never have to try it.
Vantasstic is online now Find More Posts by Vantasstic
RCG Plus Member
Old May 07, 2009, 05:25 PM
United States, NY, Strykersville
Joined Feb 2007
165 Posts
Vantasstic do they have water in Vegas, I thought it was all desert
chris butcher is offline Find More Posts by chris butcher