Espritmodel.com Telemetry Radio
Old Sep 25, 2008, 06:05 PM
USA, VA, Harrisonburg
Joined Jul 2005
61 Posts
great looking model

I built one just like it 2 years ago, call it the LittleStar. It flys great, mine has almost the same specs as your Polaris does. Posting some pics of mine in the water and at home. Mine is made from blue fan-fold, and has an airfoil wing. It's actually a 75% copy of my Northstar, with just a few mods on the fuselage look. Flys just like the Balsa USA Northstar, only no fuel to mess with. First flights were in the winter off snow.

Specs are: wing span 33.5 in
length 42.5 in
height 12 in
weight 35 oz RTF
motor teamOrion Wind MS 1210 KV
prop 8x6 APC
battery 1350 mA 3s Lipo
ESC is a E-fFlite PRO 25Amp

pete
jmupilot is offline Find More Posts by jmupilot
Last edited by jmupilot; Sep 25, 2008 at 07:01 PM.
to remove ads between posts
Old Sep 25, 2008, 06:36 PM
Philadelphia, PA
Joined Jan 2002
421 Posts
This has got to be one of the coolist builds to come down the ramp in a while. I know I'll be starting on one very soon as my first of the Winter builds. But because there might be some who are close to finishing up this plane now I'm posting my color scheme for anyone who's interested in using it or some variation of it.
You can tell by the date on the image this was intended for the original Northstar wood kit, which by the way, is still neatly tucked away waiting to be built.
Caddguy6 is offline Find More Posts by Caddguy6
Old Sep 25, 2008, 06:41 PM
KK6MQJ
Joined Sep 2004
13,598 Posts
Now that will be a cool and apropos paint scheme for the plane! I might do one in THAT scheme myself, if you don't mind?
Bajora is online now Find More Posts by Bajora
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: E-flite Allusive 2.2M
Old Sep 25, 2008, 07:11 PM
Philadelphia, PA
Joined Jan 2002
421 Posts
By all means, that's why I posted it.
Caddguy6 is offline Find More Posts by Caddguy6
Old Sep 25, 2008, 08:41 PM
Park Jet Guru
Seattle, WA
Joined Jun 2002
5,589 Posts
SouthernFly - Nice looking build. My model came in at 14.9 oz w/o battery, so yours is right in line with mine. You're welcome for the plans!

jmupilot - Nice looking model! I knew I wasn't the first to be inspired by Laddie's design.

Caddguy - Great paint scheme idea! I kicked around some Coast Guard schemes on mine, but I like what you've done far better than what I came up with.
jetset44 is offline Find More Posts by jetset44
Old Sep 25, 2008, 10:14 PM
SouthernHoneyBee
Columbia, SC USA
Joined Dec 2004
322 Posts
Caddguy, I like you design too!

This may have been tried before, I've mixed WBPU (MINWAX water=based Polycrylic) with water based Tempera paint and got great results.
I found most paint on foam peel or rub off but this mix soaks in a bit and forms a hard shell surface. Not sure how it will work in water but I plan to test it out.
I don't think there will be a problem after it dries.
here is a glider I made out of pink foam. It covered well with one coat and resisted dents.
I wanted to be able too see it high up so I pick Fluorescent Orange. Only the old guys will know "Tangerine Dream" Like yea man.
SouthernFly is offline Find More Posts by SouthernFly
Old Sep 26, 2008, 04:55 AM
I'm overcoming gravity!
USA, NC, Huntersville
Joined Jul 2008
3,813 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by SouthernFly
Only the old guys will know "Tangerine Dream" Like yea man.
You're telling on yourself
Murman is offline Find More Posts by Murman
RCG Plus Member
Old Sep 26, 2008, 09:50 AM
Retired and Lovin' it!
United States, KY, Sturgis
Joined Jul 2007
2,480 Posts
Thought that I would post a little mod that I'm making on mine. I don't anticipate any change in flight characteristics from the addition of the leading edge extensions, but I put them on to increase the jetlike appearance. Extensions and the trailing edge are balsa in lieu of carbon fiber spars. Also the wing is 9mm depron instead of 6mm.

Tony
tpfing is offline Find More Posts by tpfing
RCG Plus Member
Old Sep 26, 2008, 11:13 AM
Registered FFF Addict
Grand Junction, Colorado
Joined Dec 2007
2,930 Posts
Well I couldn't wait... I started my 2x Polaris. I should have my head examined as I have 5 unfinished planes (giants) now. I won't be able to buy electronics for all of them. Well it will keep me busy this winter. This is one of the sharpest seaplanes yet. I like it better than the SeaWind. Thanks Jetset44
larryross is offline Find More Posts by larryross
Old Sep 26, 2008, 01:11 PM
Park Jet Guru
Seattle, WA
Joined Jun 2002
5,589 Posts
tpfing,
The leading edge extensions look pretty cool! As you have them, I agree they probably won't change the flight characteristics much. But if you want to put on extensions that actually might do some good aerodynamically, I might suggest a modification--move the snag outboard. On real fighters, the purpose of the leading edge extension is to generate a vortex at high alpha that helps keep the flow attached to the outboard wing. This can help increase max lift, reduce high alpha pitchup (by delaying tip stall), and reduce wing rock at high alpha (again by delaying tip stall). The reason this works is because highly swept wings tend to stall outboard first due to their inherent spanwise lift distribution (i.e., the tips tend to load up faster than the root). For snags to work, the vortex induced by the snag needs to be on the outboard half of the wing.

I've attached a picture below of my Gripen park jet, which has a scale wing planform and performs beautifully at model scale during high alpha manuevering. You could move the snag inboard a little from this if you wanted for looks, but it'll need to be on the outboard half of the wing to provide a noticeable benefit.

If you choose to modify the wing snags, I'll be very interested to hear how it works. My Polaris performs very well at high alpha but does exhibit a slight pitch-up and wing rock. It's not bad at all, but a snag just might help reduce or eliminate it.

Steve
jetset44 is offline Find More Posts by jetset44
Old Sep 26, 2008, 01:54 PM
Retired and Lovin' it!
Joined Jul 2007
2,480 Posts
Steve, thanks for the response. I might try that after the maiden. Incidentally, on the engine nacelle, I got away from the jet look and widened it out to almost 4 inches. I wanted it to look like its got a big Continental or Lycoming flat six under the hood. I'll post pictures as soon as I get it all glued up.

Tony

Just to give you an idea of the nacelle. Incidentally, I using the 2212-10.. I've used it on a couple of my pusher jets and I like it. Its not an amp hog, it has decent power on a 7x5E APC. It's not real fast, but then, neither am I.
RCG Plus Member
Last edited by tpfing; Sep 26, 2008 at 03:04 PM.
Old Sep 26, 2008, 07:37 PM
Retired and Lovin' it!
Joined Jul 2007
2,480 Posts
Just a quick progress report.

Tony
RCG Plus Member
Old Sep 27, 2008, 07:12 AM
Sweden
Joined Mar 2006
151 Posts
I consider building Polaris 75% from 3 mm Depron.
I will use my favorite motor AXI 2203/52, kv 1525, 19 gram, 2s LiPo, and now my problem, the recommended 8"x3,8" prop!

-To get space for a 8" prop, can I build the nacelle above the elevator or build a bigger/higer vertical tail base?
-Do I need to change the motor incidence when the propcenter is more far away from the wing (thrust line)?

For me this is difficult questions but perhaps someone can help me with an answere?

/Tomas D.
Tomas Dunker is offline Find More Posts by Tomas Dunker
Old Sep 27, 2008, 10:56 AM
orting Washington
Joined Dec 2006
61 Posts
Tomas
Have you considered a three blade prop?
Walt
walt b is offline Find More Posts by walt b
Old Sep 27, 2008, 12:30 PM
Joined Apr 2005
80 Posts
Elevons

Has anyone used just rudder and elevons rather than elevator, rudder and ailerons?
onewoo is offline Find More Posts by onewoo