HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Mar 25, 2012, 08:20 PM
60 years of RC flying
Canada, ON, Ottawa
Joined Feb 2006
16,961 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by mamba max1 View Post
Just want to double check before I make my order. All I need (foam wise) is a full sheet of 6mm Depron?

Thanks!
I assume you are building a 100% Polaris.

Not sure what size your Depron sheets are, but I can tell you that the kit includes the equivalent of 4 sheets 12"x34". I say equivalent, because there are actually three sheets that size and two smaller one, but the latter add up to the better part of a fourth sheet.

The Depron sheets I buy at the LHS are 24"x36", so I would say it takes two for a Polaris.
Daedalus66 is offline Find More Posts by Daedalus66
to remove ads between posts
Old Mar 25, 2012, 08:24 PM
United States, NC, Durham
Joined Jun 2010
483 Posts
Yeah, I'm going to build a 100%. Unfortunately, I have no LHS, that stocks foam, so I have to order it.

Here is where I was going to get it: (I was thinking of the 27"x39" sheet) http://www.rcfoam.com/index.php?cPat...c27cae47148796

Let me know what you think.
mamba max1 is offline Find More Posts by mamba max1
Old Mar 25, 2012, 08:51 PM
60 years of RC flying
Canada, ON, Ottawa
Joined Feb 2006
16,961 Posts
Quote:
Yeah, I'm going to build a 100%. Unfortunately, I have no LHS, that stocks foam, so I have to order it.

Here is where I was going to get it: (I was thinking of the 27"x39" sheet) http://www.rcfoam.com/index.php?cPat...c27cae47148796

You would need two of those sheets or four of the 13"x39".

I don't know how much the shipping costs, but I would assume it's significant. I would be looking at ordering the 10 pack of 13x39, which is enough for two Polaris' and some left over and probably not much more expensive than a smaller order.
Old Mar 25, 2012, 08:57 PM
60 years of RC flying
Canada, ON, Ottawa
Joined Feb 2006
16,961 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vance1 View Post
I built a 125% and it flies like a dream. My 100% is twitchy and a handful for my abilities. With a vertical dive it stuck into the mud 41/2 inches with only a small amount of damage and repaired it with Beacon Fabric- Tac in about 1/2 hour.
You can see the mud mark on the fuse if you look close. Hope the pictures loads I have tried to load photos on Magnum Reload with no success.
Nearly always when people find the 100% Polaris "twitchy" they are using too much control throw, especially on aileron. With the correct throw and CG in the right place (on the step), it's a very smooth flying model. But it is responsive.

That said, other things being equal, the bigger ones are easier to fly. The XL (133%), for example, makes a very good advanced trainer.
Old Mar 25, 2012, 09:39 PM
United States, NC, Durham
Joined Jun 2010
483 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Daedalus66 View Post
You would need two of those sheets or four of the 13"x39".

I don't know how much the shipping costs, but I would assume it's significant. I would be looking at ordering the 10 pack of 13x39, which is enough for two Polaris' and some left over and probably not much more expensive than a smaller order.
Thanks. Turns out, shipping will only be $12 for just the foam. I plan on getting several other things there, so it evens out.
mamba max1 is offline Find More Posts by mamba max1
Old Mar 25, 2012, 09:47 PM
United States, FL, Leesburg
Joined Aug 2010
161 Posts
Thanks Daedalus66. I think it is a pilot problem. I have toned down the throws but my plane outruns my abilities. I have it repaired and will try again. My 125% is a joy to fly.
Stuck the little one in the mud.
Vance1 is offline Find More Posts by Vance1
Old Mar 26, 2012, 07:05 AM
Build, Fly, Rebuild!!
Australia, NSW, Lake Macquarie
Joined Dec 2011
283 Posts
foam supply

Quote:

In Aus I got some cellfoam from a house insulation supplier not sure if you may have something like that where you are, (just giving you food for thought)
It was very close to depron in density but was 5mm not 6mm, in saying that a 2400mm x 600mm sheet only cost $10.50 AUD, the same size sheet in 10mm was $18.50 AUD per sheet.
In my Blog you can see a triangle balance frame I made to get c of g on planes right, this is made out of the 10mm Cellfoam.

Regards Ghost
Ghost who walks is offline Find More Posts by Ghost who walks
RCG Plus Member
Old Mar 26, 2012, 08:58 AM
Joined Aug 2010
161 Posts
Ghost have you maidened your Polaris with the wing fences, extensions and winglets that was posted on your blog? I'm thinking of trying the winglets on my 100%.
Old Mar 26, 2012, 10:22 AM
60 years of RC flying
Canada, ON, Ottawa
Joined Feb 2006
16,961 Posts
Quote:
Thanks Daedalus66. I think it is a pilot problem. I have toned down the throws but my plane outruns my abilities. I have it repaired and will try again. My 125% is a joy to fly.
Stuck the little one in the mud.
Like this? You're not alone.
Old Mar 26, 2012, 01:13 PM
Joined Aug 2010
161 Posts
More of a 45 degree angle. Mine was due to pilot failure! But I am learning.
Old Mar 26, 2012, 09:52 PM
Regina, Sask. Canada
Joined Jan 2007
71 Posts
Just wondering if this new source for foam would be practical for building the Polaris???
Many seem to be quite happy with this recently available foam.
http://www.modelplanefoam.com/
kully99 is offline Find More Posts by kully99
Old Mar 26, 2012, 10:43 PM
60 years of RC flying
Canada, ON, Ottawa
Joined Feb 2006
16,961 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by kully99 View Post
Just wondering if this new source for foam would be practical for building the Polaris???
The reviews seem very positive. Read the last few pages of the thread:
http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showt...533245&page=52

Apparently it's less rigid than Depron but also less brittle. So a mixed blessing. My guess is that it will work OK for the 100% Polaris, but I'm not sure about the wing on a bigger version (125-133%). It seems to be very similar to fanfold without the skin or waves.
Old Mar 27, 2012, 07:13 AM
Build, Fly, Rebuild!!
Australia, NSW, Lake Macquarie
Joined Dec 2011
283 Posts
microlaris maiden

Quote:
Ghost have you maidened your Polaris with the wing fences, extensions and winglets that was posted on your blog? I'm thinking of trying the winglets on my 100%.
Hi Vance1, as yet I haven't maidened the microlaris (life and weather seems to be getting in the way) when the weather is good I am at work, and when I am home the weather doesn't seem to want to play the game.
I am probably procrastinating a little as well, due to my relative lack of flying experience. I am waiting for perfect conditions so as I can only blame myself if/when I stuff up I keep telling myself it is so that I get a chance to test the mods with no external influences.
Several others are keen to here how it goes as well, hopefully this weekend or over easter I will get it in the air.
Ghost who walks is offline Find More Posts by Ghost who walks
RCG Plus Member
Old Mar 27, 2012, 09:05 AM
Joined Aug 2010
161 Posts
May the force be with you Gost who walks. Please post when you fly, she really looks great.
Old Mar 27, 2012, 10:17 AM
Northwest Ohio
Joined Jan 2002
2,680 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by kully99 View Post
I agree with what D66 said about this new foam. It is basically FFF with no skin, perforations, or waves, and it is white. It apparently has a slight "bow" to it and does not lay completely flat (from what I read on their thread). It's thinner than 6 mm Depron so you would probably want to stick with 5 mm strip spars. I agree it should work fine for a standard size Polaris and below.

I was sure hoping for a drop in 6 mm Depron substitute but it does not appear that this is it. But it should be a great lower cost option for many building projects.

On another note, we have a March Madness Sale going on until the end of March with a chance to win a Watt Meter!

Scott
Model Aero is offline Find More Posts by Model Aero