Old Mar 24, 2012, 05:48 PM
Row 0, Seat A
Savannah, GA
Joined Jan 2008
2,720 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by wazzu83 View Post
Thanks for the warm welcomes!

Regarding adhesives ... I've looked at these local stores (Target, Wal-Mart, Lowes, Home Depot, Michael's & Hobby Lobby) and the only glue on the list in the build guide that I found was Gorilla glue. I chose not to use it, primarily from the 3x-4x swell factor. There are a couple of actual hobby stores 25-30 miles away, but I was anxious and figured 20 minute epoxy would work fine. I did find Beacon CraftFoam at Michael's. Would that be acceptable? If I recall correctly, Hobby Lobby had an Alene's foam glue of some type. That is another close and convenient alternative. Of course, there is always the interweb, but who wants to wait?

Thanks,

Bryan
Bryan,

I'm pretty sure that I have tried most every glue/adhesive under the sun. Some work well with depron, most don't. Here is my lineup for what it's worth:

Epoxy - Special areas requiring high strength like firewalls, landing gear attach points, etc. Can be used anywhere but it is messy, sometimes hard to use, long tack time and heavy.

Foam safe medium CA - Good for most general build areas, brittle, MUST use kicker for good cure, expensive, quick tack time.

Beacon Foam-Tac - My go to for most everything. Easy to use, doesn't get brittle, strong hold for foams as well as foam to wood or carbon, fairly quick tack time, inexpensive, cures neuralgia, neuritis and erections lasting more than 4 hours without a Dr's appointment. Best buy I've found is here:

http://www.graysonhobby.com/catalog/...ck-p-1466.html

UHU POR or Creative - Good if you can find it. Rare and expensive in USA these days.

Gorilla glue - I don't like it for the mess, long tack time and expense, but is good for gap filling.

HTH,

Ted

PS - My brother-in-law owns the Honda store and shop in Pullman. Go Cougs!
G550Ted is offline Find More Posts by G550Ted
to remove ads between posts
Old Mar 24, 2012, 07:10 PM
NY Freedom Fighter
Joined Feb 2007
1,502 Posts
Foam-Tac, which is the best alternative to UHU POR is currently on sale with very good shipping rates (which may make a difference in what your final price is) at Filadelfos RC:

http://www.filadelfosrc.com/index.ph...id=146:foamtac

An alternate to Foam-Tac is Beacon's Farbri-Tac which is available at Michael's and Walmart and is almost identical to Foam-Tac.

http://www.michaels.com/Fabri-Tac/gc...esives&start=1
BatterysIncluded is offline Find More Posts by BatterysIncluded
Old Mar 24, 2012, 07:14 PM
Aus
ʎןɟ inverted ɹǝpunuʍop
Australia, ACT, Amaroo
Joined Jul 2011
1,244 Posts
Just returned from another great morning infused with Polarii. Managed to beat the sun up and had some great flights on the PoLEDris and was then joined by nrg2go and one other. Twelve packs down again - I must order some additional batteries .
Aus is offline Find More Posts by Aus
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Model Tech Blue Max II
Old Mar 24, 2012, 07:48 PM
Aus
ʎןɟ inverted ɹǝpunuʍop
Australia, ACT, Amaroo
Joined Jul 2011
1,244 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by kadil View Post
Kadil,

I measured the torque tubes I currently use and they are approx 1.65 mm (1/16") diameter. That size seems to work well so I want to continue with that size. Using your stainless welding rod idea, I've found a supplier on eBay that stocks the diameter I'm after (and I don't have to purchase 2kg).

http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/6-Devardi...item335a22b625

What do you think?
Aus is offline Find More Posts by Aus
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Model Tech Blue Max II
Old Mar 24, 2012, 08:02 PM
Row 0, Seat A
Savannah, GA
Joined Jan 2008
2,720 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aus View Post
Just returned from another great morning infused with Polarii. Managed to beat the sun up and had some great flights on the PoLEDris and was then joined by nrg2go and one other. Twelve packs down again - I must order some additional batteries .
"Twelve packs down again"

Aus, that is bordering on a sickness. Maybe there is a twelve step program to help you.

I can see it now... 'Hi everybody, my name is Aus'. "Hi Aus, we love you! Have a soft drink and tell us your problem cuz we love you and we can help you!" 'My problem is that the sorry HK is BO on 2200mAh 3S NanoTechs right now, and dammit, I need another 16 to scratch my itch you boneheads!!!' "Yayy Aus! We love you!"

Fade out to the pre-dawn darkness at the edge of the pond... 'Mumble, mumble, maybe if I set my chargers to a 75C charge rate, mumble, maybe I can stay in the air all day without having to wait on HK to get their act together, mumble, mumble.'

Harry Poofter of Sky News here, reporting on the bright flash and thunderous explosion seen and heard across Oz early this morning. UFOs, volcanos and nuclear testing has been ruled out as to the cause. Local authorities are now focusing on the cataclysmic disintegration of an auto battery and the sympathetic detonation of the petrol tank apparently caused by the attachment to some strange electronic devices. Investigators are trying to determine the nature of those devices and the identity of some charred human remains surrounded by what they believe are melted foam objects. Terrorism has been ruled out and the investigation is now focused on the premise of a lone crazed lunatic. Further details and video to follow on our 11 o'clock world report.

Ted
G550Ted is offline Find More Posts by G550Ted
Old Mar 24, 2012, 10:04 PM
Park Jet Guru
Seattle, WA
Joined Jun 2002
5,612 Posts
Quote:
I LOVE IT!! Great photos! I'm thrilled to see a Polarii Convention Down Under.
jetset44 is offline Find More Posts by jetset44
Old Mar 24, 2012, 10:38 PM
GO COUGS
Colfax, WA USA
Joined Jan 2010
18 Posts
Could You Guys Down Under send some of that great flying weather our way? Here in the northwest corner of the US we are just getting blasted with one day after another of wind rain and snow. We did manage to get a day to maiden our latest addition Polaris #3, a mini from Scott at Model Aero. It turned out good, flew great first time out. This one is going to be a night flyer, painted with led lights.
My son set it up so we can switch the lights on and off with the transmitter. More contrast colors coming soon, it seems we are superstitious about adding too much finishing detail before the first maiden.
cougair is offline Find More Posts by cougair
Last edited by cougair; Mar 24, 2012 at 10:43 PM.
Old Mar 24, 2012, 10:51 PM
Aussie, Aussie, Aussie!
Australia, NT, Katherine
Joined Apr 2009
1,190 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by cougair View Post
Could You Guys Down Under send some of that great flying weather our way? Here in the northwest corner of the US we are just getting blasted with one day after another of wind rain and snow. We did manage to get a day to maiden our latest addition Polaris #3, a mini from Scott at Model Aero. It turned out good, flew great first time out. This one is going to be a night flyer, painted with led lights.
My son set it up so we can switch the lights on and off with the transmitter. More contrast colors coming soon, it seems we are superstitious about adding too much finishing detail before the first maiden.
Are you planning on playing Chicken while flying at night!

Lights out!!!! Which switch is it again??? Quick!!
nrg2go is online now Find More Posts by nrg2go
Old Mar 24, 2012, 10:56 PM
Build, Fly, Rebuild!!
Australia, NSW, Lake Macquarie
Joined Dec 2011
259 Posts
bending carbon

Quote:
Originally Posted by lennyboy View Post
Hey,
I've been able to bend it pretty good for a very few occasions just heat it up with a lighter,,
but easy and bend slowly..
I was shocked too
Later,
Lenny
I to have bent carbon, but it usually instantly snaps, something to do with the sudden stop when plane has uncontrolled flight into terrain

Ghost
Ghost who walks is online now Find More Posts by Ghost who walks
RCG Plus Member
Old Mar 24, 2012, 11:10 PM
Build, Fly, Rebuild!!
Australia, NSW, Lake Macquarie
Joined Dec 2011
259 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by cougair View Post
Nice looking mini build you have there cougar,

Being a sailor, I too am very superstitious as well, but we have had such crap weather all summer here that I went ahead and painted my microlaris anyway, so I hope that doesn't spell disaster for it!!
Not all parts of down under are getting great flying weather,it seems it is mainly down south so that nrg and Aus can make us all feel jealous)

Regards Ghost
Ghost who walks is online now Find More Posts by Ghost who walks
RCG Plus Member
Old Mar 24, 2012, 11:55 PM
Aussie, Aussie, Aussie!
Australia, NT, Katherine
Joined Apr 2009
1,190 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ghost who walks View Post
Nice looking mini build you have there cougar,

Being a sailor, I too am very superstitious as well, but we have had such crap weather all summer here that I went ahead and painted my microlaris anyway, so I hope that doesn't spell disaster for it!!
Not all parts of down under are getting great flying weather,it seems it is mainly down south so that nrg and Aus can make us all feel jealous)

Regards Ghost
Now come on! Why would we rub photos of perfect Polarii weather and fun in your faces? We represent that remark!
nrg2go is online now Find More Posts by nrg2go
Old Mar 25, 2012, 01:51 AM
unconventional :-)
Brisbane north, Australia
Joined Feb 2009
2,111 Posts
Quote:
Kadil,

I measured the torque tubes I currently use and they are approx 1.65 mm (1/16") diameter. That size seems to work well so I want to continue with that size. Using your stainless welding rod idea, I've found a supplier on eBay that stocks the diameter I'm after (and I don't have to purchase 2kg).

http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/6-Devardi...item335a22b625

What do you think?
Looks perfect.

Also available here:
http://www.affordableinspiration.com...ack-of-10.html
kadil is offline Find More Posts by kadil
Old Mar 25, 2012, 06:49 PM
United States, NC, Durham
Joined Jun 2010
483 Posts
Just want to double check before I make my order. All I need (foam wise) is a full sheet of 6mm Depron?

Thanks!
mamba max1 is offline Find More Posts by mamba max1
Old Mar 25, 2012, 07:11 PM
60 years of RC flying
Canada, ON, Ottawa
Joined Feb 2006
16,536 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by wazzu83 View Post
I just glued (20 minute epoxy) the three bulkheads to the left fuselage half. While all three are in the correct location, I believe that I goofed in the angle of at least two of the bulkheads, F1 & F3. All three are perpendicular to the fuselage panel. The problem becomes evident when attempting to join the right fuselage panel. The whole fuselage wants to skew left (left fuse panel wants to be straight).

I'm looking for some advice on the best remedies for this situation.

Thanks in advance!
Best remedy is not to let it happen in the first place (I know it's a bit late for this model, but there will be more!).

What I'm getting at is you never glue to just one side as the problem you are having now is inevitable if you do. What you have to do is use a slow setting glue (20 minute epoxy is fine, but not 5 minute) and assemble the whole thing in one go. That is the fuselage sides and the bulkheads.

I draw center lines on the bulkheads and use them with a straight edge to make sure everything is aligned.

I use pins to locate things and masking tape where possible to hold things together. I'm sparing with the epoxy and avoid at all cost allowing fillets of glue to form -- not only do they add useless weight but they make the joints very rigid so it's impossible to do even slight adjustments in the next stage of construction.

Contrary to the manual, I don't add the bottom next. Instead I insert the wing into the slot and get it glued in accurately. I draw a center line on the wing to assist in alignment. I make sure the fuselage sides are glued with the right width, using top and bottom as a guide (if you have one of the recent kits, the tabs and slots are a huge help with alignment, but if doing it from scratch I would omit them, as any inaccuracy in cutting is worse than no aid to alignment.

After I've got the wing in, I add the battery tray, which defines the curve of the nose. It takes a little sanding to get it to fit just right. Make sure it's really well glued but without any significant amount of excess glue squeezed out -- just wipe it off with paper towel.

I now add two extra half bulkheads under the battery tray to help carry the load in a hard landing. They add negligible weight (provided you go easy on the glue) but great strength.

Finally, when I'm happy with it all, I glue on the bottom, using a few pins to locate it and lots of strips of masking tape to hold it firmly in place. I'm very careful to get the right amount of glue so the joint is completely watertight but doesn't have a lot of excess -- wipe off any that squeezes out, using isopropyl alcohol if necessary. Do this right and you have a permanent joint that is still easy to sand flush.

I hope this helps.
Daedalus66 is offline Find More Posts by Daedalus66
Old Mar 25, 2012, 07:14 PM
United States, FL, Leesburg
Joined Aug 2010
159 Posts
I built a 125% and it flies like a dream. My 100% is twitchy and a handful for my abilities. With a vertical dive it stuck into the mud 41/2 inches with only a small amount of damage and repaired it with Beacon Fabric- Tac in about 1/2 hour.
You can see the mud mark on the fuse if you look close. Hope the pictures loads I have tried to load photos on Magnum Reload with no success.
Vance1 is offline Find More Posts by Vance1