SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Apr 14, 2009, 02:17 PM
e-powered foam
swiss watch makers area
Joined Dec 2002
812 Posts
Another Polaris, this side of the Pond

Thank you very much Steve for this very nice plan & concept, will try to do the last building steps & checks before maiden tonight and bring it to the lake tomorrow after work.

can't wait to see my hopefully new daily flyer in the air, .... and still have to decide for a paint sheme
rawy is offline Find More Posts by rawy
to remove ads between posts
Old Apr 14, 2009, 02:29 PM
USA, VA, Radford
Joined Mar 2002
183 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by jamesdr
Got my Polaris today - WOW - lots of pieces....

Jim

Not to worry, Jim. It is in there and surprisingly easy to find once you get started. My only caution is to be sure you make a LEFT and a RIGHT fuselage side. I was lucky enough to make two rights - so I had to order another one and now I have two (the second will be built once I get the first "broken in"). Thats my story and I'm sticking with it.

george l
george l is offline Find More Posts by george l
Old Apr 14, 2009, 07:24 PM
Unrepentant Carnivore
Brandon, Fl
Joined Mar 2005
2,504 Posts
LOL - Thanks George - good advice. Not that I've ever done anything like that before (and that is MY story). I've got a Fun Fly this coming weekend and doing some preparations so the Polaris will have to sit aside until I can devote the proper attention.

Jim
jamesdr is offline Find More Posts by jamesdr
Old Apr 15, 2009, 01:41 AM
Park Jet Guru
Seattle, WA
Joined Jun 2002
5,612 Posts
rawy - Great looking model! Thanks for the pic.

Jake - Nice looking model, too! FWIW, if you want to modify your ESC setup it's actually quite easy to cut access hatches into this model and then glue them back in place when you're done. Just cut the hatch edges at a roughly 45 deg angle so it fits back into place neatly, and then put a light bead of epoxy or Gorilla glue to glue it back in place. Done carefully, you'll barely be able to see the hatches.

There are pros and cons to extending the battery and motor side wires, but I've come to the conclusion both are bad when taken to extremes. So I try to balance it out by extending both ends roughly equally, depending on where the ESC best fits in the model. If I remember right, on my Polaris I have about 9" on the motor side and 15" on the battery side. Not quite in the middle, but it allowed me to tuck the ESC just ahead of the strip aileron horns. It's worked great on my model.

Steve
jetset44 is offline Find More Posts by jetset44
Old Apr 15, 2009, 08:22 AM
Rejected User
United States, KY, Berea
Joined Dec 2003
6,677 Posts
I'll just leave it the way it is. Im sure i'll be getting either a second or a replacment soon. Its already sealed up with tape, and i'd have to cut the top of the necell off as well as the front of the horiz. stabe. It flies well enough that it doesnt need that kind of surgery, but i'll definatly remember next time!

I did get to fly it off water yesterday! ROWs very well, better than on grass, in my opinion! Taxi's VERY well, wether it be slow, or up on plain. Flies off teh water smoothly if little elevator input is used, but if you give full power and full up, it leaps right up, even with my 19oz. of thrust! Landings are very easy and its hard to make it catch a wing tip and water-loop or flip, but when por is applied, elevator should be applied too because the nose will lower and the wing tips will catch water like a plow, spraying water over the top of the wing and makeing acceleration very sluggish and tracking hard to keep strait. The model is suprizingly light on the water with amuch lower draft than my NorthStar, yet taxing is much better than the NS!

I'll try to get some video when the weather clears.
Mchone, Jake is offline Find More Posts by Mchone, Jake
Old Apr 15, 2009, 08:58 AM
france
Joined Aug 2008
73 Posts
hi,
i build (scratch) mine here :

http://anneso.ri.free.fr/easystar/polaris/polaris.htm

bye
marie3379 is offline Find More Posts by marie3379
Old Apr 15, 2009, 03:38 PM
Joined Oct 2008
22 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by marie3379
hi,
i build (scratch) mine here :

http://anneso.ri.free.fr/easystar/polaris/polaris.htm

bye
Now, thats just plain too neat of a work space!!! You don't have near enough mess there!!
sonnyhad is offline Find More Posts by sonnyhad
Old Apr 15, 2009, 10:42 PM
Rejected User
United States, KY, Berea
Joined Dec 2003
6,677 Posts
Over the past 5 flights, i've expericanced periodic glitches from different control surfaces at different motor RPMs. Its not enough to cause alarm, but either the rudder or elevator or throttle will twich atleast once perflight. I see and hear it on the ground, but cant tell if anythign is happening in the air. Has anyone else experianced this? It has to be from the motor wires running right next to the servo extentions, right? How have you solved this? Non of my wires are touching and are all hot glued in well, but they are still very close togather.
Old Apr 16, 2009, 11:04 AM
Rejected User
United States, KY, Berea
Joined Dec 2003
6,677 Posts
Sad news, everyone!

Flying at the lake without a problem, my elevator locked on the backside of a loop. It most likely stipped because it was still plugged in but not responsive.

The its a total loss. All the servos are soaked, as well as the ESC and Rx. The motor should be fine, but it was under water, so IDK. The lipo has swelled up and the airframe can be re-built, but it would look like a puzzle

But it might be a mixed blessing as I know exectly how I want to build my second and how I want it setup. The servos are all going to be in the fuselage and the correct gage wire used for the ESC leads.

I'll be ordering a new one soon!
Old Apr 16, 2009, 11:26 AM
Rejected User
United States, KY, Berea
Joined Dec 2003
6,677 Posts
Has anyone experimented with other motors?

Would an E-Flight 400 or 480 outrunner give better performanc? What about an inrunner?
Old Apr 16, 2009, 11:44 AM
Paper Crafter
Joined Apr 2009
85 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mchone, Jake

Would an E-Flight 400 or 480 outrunner give better performanc? What about an inrunner?
Personaly IMHO, unless you have lotsa spare money and time I would go with whats recomended for the plane.

BTW nilon geared servos SUCK!!! Yes they are super inexpensive but they tend to cost you allot when they unexpantantly strip and cause a crash. It's not a matter of if they strip but when they strip. If I crash I would rather it be due to dumb thumbs than a mechanical failure due to being a cheepscape

Just my $.02
Crackskull is offline Find More Posts by Crackskull
Old Apr 16, 2009, 01:03 PM
Rejected User
United States, KY, Berea
Joined Dec 2003
6,677 Posts
Well, I have lots of inrunners (3 400 sized and out 380) and a park 400 on a Slow Sick and a 480 just laying around.

What servos do you recomend? Karbontie gear?
Old Apr 16, 2009, 01:04 PM
but it's a nice obsession
Sandy, Utah
Joined Apr 2003
1,049 Posts
I just finished flying a friend's Polaris off the snow here (again!) and had a blast - definitely going to have to make one for next winter. Way to go Steve - this one is a lot of fun! Thanks, Jon
jgmtens is offline Find More Posts by jgmtens
Old Apr 16, 2009, 01:35 PM
Paper Crafter
Joined Apr 2009
85 Posts
Quote:
Well, I have lots of inrunners (3 400 sized and out 380) and a park 400 on a Slow Sick and a 480 just laying around.

What servos do you recomend? Karbontie gear?
Smallest metal gear servos you can find. I have Hi-Techs that are just ever so slightly longer and wider than what the template shows. I'm at the office so I dont have a specific model number. Ther were $30 a pop and all 4 have survived 2 hard crashes in experimental planes. Since the Polaris is a known great flyer I have a feeling these servos are going to find a perminent home.

I'm putting 4 of them into my new Biplane as not a single one of the nilons survived the old biplane getting chopped in half by glow powered trainer 20' in the air. Doesnt make sense the servos wernt touched during the impact yet all 4 stripped.
Crackskull is offline Find More Posts by Crackskull
Old Apr 16, 2009, 04:56 PM
Northwest Ohio
Joined Jan 2002
2,672 Posts
Quote:

The E-Flite 400 and 480 are way too low a kv to use in the Polaris. I would not recommend it.

Scott

www.ModelAero.com
Model Aero is offline Find More Posts by Model Aero