HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Feb 11, 2012, 07:32 AM
Aussie, Aussie, Aussie!
Melbourne, Australia
Joined Apr 2009
1,188 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aus View Post
Great video mavlo77. The snow/ice in the trees looks awesome. I think I might challenge myself to finding some snow to fly the Polaris off this winter. Up for a road trip in July/August nrg2go?

Aus.
The problem here in Aus is that it only snows up in the mountains and where there is snow there are lots of people. Don't think they'd take kindly to some Polaris action.

I think our best option is the water, a deck chair, some cool drinks, sunscreen and a spot landing comp.
nrg2go is offline Find More Posts by nrg2go
to remove ads between posts
Old Feb 11, 2012, 08:22 AM
Radian, Polaris, Mistaken ID.
Japan (Military)
Joined Nov 2010
384 Posts
AUS, Lockey, D66, Thank you for the advice.
I take all the help I can get. I really did not want to add weight, as the entire build I had strived to keep it light as possible.

Aus, The Prop is a Master Airscrew 6x4, and good point... I have a heat sink in the box that was intended for this Polaris from day one! (Yes... I almost forgot!)

Lockey, Good advice. I will balance it up-side down. I had read that here in this thread.

D-66, Thank you for the info and the great breakdown on batteries. Great info for those of us less experienced. The prop is 6x4, and the motor is an RC Timer 2200kv. I have a 1400kv I could use as well. (It can swing more prop and would probably go better with a lighter battery) I mounted the motor using screws in the CF and bullet plugs under the necielle so switching would be no problem.

The only reason I was using the 3 blade is because it looked cool while sitting still.

EDIT: I think I had read somewhere that if you go with a 3 blade, you should go down 1 in size. If that is the case, I should switch to the 1400kv. I had intended to borrow my friends watt meter and see what each motor actually pulls with the 3 blade. But I may be better off just going with the reccomended 6x4 two blade.
Also, I apologize for the low quality cell phone picture.
Baseman is offline Find More Posts by Baseman
Last edited by Baseman; Feb 11, 2012 at 08:32 AM.
Old Feb 11, 2012, 08:53 AM
Home of "Golf Cart Flying"
Griffin GA
Joined Aug 2008
8,285 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by kingsflyer View Post
Capt. Murdock looks kind of scared! Hope he survives till SEFF, I'd like to see him in person.
McD
Crazy Murdock aint Skeeerd!
Thanks for the props guys

I've painted many a Williams brothers pilot in my days, but I think this one turned out the best.
pecanpatch is online now Find More Posts by pecanpatch
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Tiggers Big Show
Old Feb 11, 2012, 10:16 AM
Griffin GA
Joined Aug 2008
8,285 Posts
It was a little bit tense but I had to cut the access hatch this morning. It turned out great. I kept the knife at an angle so it would be like a jack-o-latern lid and the hatch couldn't fall down inside. I'm still going to add some little foam strips to the fuselage around the opening so the hatch will stay flush.
I added a tongue at the front of the hatch lid to slip under the fuse opening. Still have to add magnets at the rear.
She could be flyable today........ winds are howling up to 40 MPH

Note: the canopy keeps the hatch rigid and holds it's curve nicely
RCG Plus Member
Old Feb 11, 2012, 10:36 AM
59 years of RC flying
Canada, ON, Ottawa
Joined Feb 2006
16,162 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Baseman View Post
AUS, Lockey, D66, Thank you for the advice.
I take all the help I can get. I really did not want to add weight, as the entire build I had strived to keep it light as possible.

Aus, The Prop is a Master Airscrew 6x4, and good point... I have a heat sink in the box that was intended for this Polaris from day one! (Yes... I almost forgot!)

Lockey, Good advice. I will balance it up-side down. I had read that here in this thread.

D-66, Thank you for the info and the great breakdown on batteries. Great info for those of us less experienced. The prop is 6x4, and the motor is an RC Timer 2200kv. I have a 1400kv I could use as well. (It can swing more prop and would probably go better with a lighter battery) I mounted the motor using screws in the CF and bullet plugs under the necielle so switching would be no problem.

The only reason I was using the 3 blade is because it looked cool while sitting still.

EDIT: I think I had read somewhere that if you go with a 3 blade, you should go down 1 in size. If that is the case, I should switch to the 1400kv. I had intended to borrow my friends watt meter and see what each motor actually pulls with the 3 blade. But I may be better off just going with the reccomended 6x4 two blade.
Also, I apologize for the low quality cell phone picture.
If you want to use smaller batteries (1300-1500), the 1400KV motor with a 7x5 APC would be just right. You could also use the 2200KV with 6x4 APC prop, but it draws significantly more current (about 20A vs 16A). The 2200KV motor works fine on the smaller batteries but you do have to exercise a bit of restraint on the throttle and check your flight times. I have both setups and like them both.

The difference in flying is in top speed and climb. The 1400KV motor flies the model beautifully (at a weight of around 20-22oz). I t accelerates well and gets off grass or water quickly. It climbs pretty close to vertical (depending on weight and the battery output), but its top speed is a bit less than with the 2200. Since I seldom fly full throttle for extended periods, I'm very happy with the 1400. I find myself flying it at 3/4 throttle, whereas with the 2200 I might be flying 65% throttle.

I suggest you use a 2-blade prop for better efficiency. (Though I agree 3-blades look cool!)

Balancing is really easy. Just mark the fuselage above the wing directly above the step. Pick up the model with thumb and forefinger. Move battery till it balances level. If you want to be really precise, you can use pencils, etc. but it isn't necessary. Remember that the Polaris has a large effective wing chord and is relatively tolerant on CG. Balance it at the step (not by resting it on the table, though!) with the fingers and you'll be good to go.

No need to worry if you don't measure current (though its interesting to do so). Just use the right prop: 6x4 on 2200KV motor and 7x4 or 7x5 on 1400 (I've also used an APC 8x4 trimmed to 7.5 for clearance -- it gives even better acceleration but less top speed).
Daedalus66 is offline Find More Posts by Daedalus66
Last edited by Daedalus66; Feb 11, 2012 at 03:54 PM.
Old Feb 11, 2012, 12:11 PM
Gravity-Compliant User
Nebraska USA
Joined Mar 2008
1,450 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by frugalflyer View Post
Thanks all for your kind comments.
It is prewired for 1,2,or 3 motors. One is a bit 'ordinary' and three will be quite heavy. so it will first have with two. Finding the right pair of motors is a bit of a problem but I'm sure I'll find them eventually. I had intended to use two Polaris motors, but is comming out a bit heavier than expected, with an anticipated flying weight of about 2 1/2 lb. Since I had intended to use the polaris motors it only has clearance for 7" props max. The motors I'm searching for will need to be 300w and high kv (2000+), to get enough ooomph from the small dia props. I may have to resort to in-runners or heli motors.
Hey frugalflyer, - any progress on the build?

I was just thinking, with your twin motor arrangement, the center nacelle would be a perfect location for a small video camera. It would put it up, high and dry, and the view would not be obstructed!

Keep the updates coming!
Zaurak3 is offline Find More Posts by Zaurak3
Old Feb 11, 2012, 12:22 PM
chronic in training
L.A. beautiful san fernando valley
Joined Nov 2008
1,830 Posts
bit of help.. opinions wanted

without starting over. . I have doubled the thickness of dollar tree foam board.. I think I can sand it back to square and reinforce slightly on the inside... then square the nose and tail.... thoughts???

thanks

QUOTE=lennyboy;20708282]Post no.3 will show you how to solve the problem..
Page 1
Lenny[/QUOTE]
grfcon is offline Find More Posts by grfcon
Old Feb 11, 2012, 12:48 PM
Gravity-Compliant User
Nebraska USA
Joined Mar 2008
1,450 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by grfcon View Post
without starting over. . I have doubled the thickness of dollar tree foam board.. I think I can sand it back to square and reinforce slightly on the inside... then square the nose and tail.... thoughts???
thanks
Lenny
Don't add too much weight in the repair, just sand it as close to true as possible, since it's mostly cosmetic anyway. Concentrate on keeping the wing and tail surfaces aligned correctly and it will fly fine. At least you won't make the same mistake with your next Polaris build.
Zaurak3 is offline Find More Posts by Zaurak3
Old Feb 11, 2012, 01:52 PM
Row 0, Seat A
Savannah, GA
Joined Jan 2008
2,706 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by pecanpatch View Post
I added a tongue at the front of the hatch lid to slip under the fuse opening. Still have to add magnets at the rear.
Very nice! A thought. With the hatch as long as you have, you might consider a pair of magnets at the middle as well. The upper surface curve and the canopy will be generating lift and although good magnets on the aft end are sure to hold it from leaving the airplane it may flex and distort.

Lookin' forward to seeing it completed.

Ted

edit - I just noticed the dogtooth leading edge on the wing. Also the NACA scoop. Nice touches. The scoop will also add to the lifting force on the canopy hatch.
G550Ted is offline Find More Posts by G550Ted
Old Feb 11, 2012, 02:00 PM
The Netherlands
Joined Oct 2008
1,224 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aus View Post
Great video mavlo77. The snow/ice in the trees looks awesome. I think I might challenge myself to finding some snow to fly the Polaris off this winter. Up for a road trip in July/August nrg2go?

Aus.
Thanks (also to the others). Yes was great to fly in that conditions. Unfortunately this situation is quite rare here. I wish we had much more snow here.
mavlo77 is offline Find More Posts by mavlo77
Old Feb 11, 2012, 02:03 PM
Griffin GA
Joined Aug 2008
8,285 Posts
Ok, here is a quick video I did to show one way to use hot glue.

Hot glue How to (2 min 45 sec)
RCG Plus Member
Old Feb 11, 2012, 02:31 PM
Joined Feb 2012
1 Posts
Plans/pdf for Polaris XL/133

Hi-
Am searching for plans/pdf for a Polaris XL or 133. Have spent an hour or so searching the thread, but have come up blank.

If anyone could point me in the right direction, would very much appreciate it.

Ted Ford
Tford is offline Find More Posts by Tford
Old Feb 11, 2012, 03:07 PM
Montana Transplant
United States, OR, Klamath Falls
Joined Aug 2005
1,929 Posts
http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/thumb...allery&page=10
middle of page XL
mt_flyer is offline Find More Posts by mt_flyer
Old Feb 11, 2012, 04:11 PM
59 years of RC flying
Canada, ON, Ottawa
Joined Feb 2006
16,162 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tford View Post
Hi-
Am searching for plans/pdf for a Polaris XL or 133. Have spent an hour or so searching the thread, but have come up blank.

If anyone could point me in the right direction, would very much appreciate it.

Ted Ford
Just go to Steve Shumate's Blog and scroll down a bit. You'll find a whole series of Polaris plans scaled to various sizes.
http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/member.php?u=10050

Note that you will not find plans for the XL. It's available only as a kit from ModelAero.com. You have to look for "133% plan".

The 133% version of the Polaris posted by Steve is simply a scaled up version of the regular Polaris plan. It is not adjusted for the thickness of Depron, so the wing slot, for example, will be 133% of 6mm, i.e., 8mm. You have to correct these as you cut out the parts.

As well, there are some subtle adjustments in the dimensions of the XL, such as a proportionately lower nacelle position (to keep the thrust line down). You can build a straight 133% version and it will fly OK without that change, or you can adjust to get the nacelle to give clearance for an 8" prop.
Old Feb 11, 2012, 04:12 PM
59 years of RC flying
Canada, ON, Ottawa
Joined Feb 2006
16,162 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by mt_flyer View Post
I think you'll find that's an Eagletree file. Plans are not available for the XL. see my note above.