That is begging to be a tri motor
Nice work
greyflight390 is online now Find More Posts by greyflight390
to remove ads between posts
Old Feb 09, 2012, 03:35 PM
The Netherlands
Joined Oct 2008
1,224 Posts
Finally snow this winter. Flight from last Saturday.

Snow flying Polaris seaplane (2 min 43 sec)
mavlo77 is offline Find More Posts by mavlo77
Old Feb 09, 2012, 04:29 PM
Joined Oct 2009
1,050 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by frugalflyer View Post
Last summer I built a Porlaris from 1/4" pink fanfold and was very happy with the results. Now I'm in the basement in hibernation, I am passing the time creating a twin version. It's made from six, Dollar Store, poster boards. I admit it, I'm frugal. It has a span of 40"; IE two 20" poster boards. The wing is built up with balsa spars and posterboard ribs. As I'm no draughtman, it's been a case of try/fit/cut/patch construction. The main frame was easy but the twin boom has been difficult to get aligned. I peeled the paper from most of the board but retained some on the structural bits to add stiffness.
According to Phil the groundhog I've got 6 more weeks to complete.
Wing span is 40 " right???
Not to drift away from this design but I built a twin skycart and still working on getting her airborn
It's seems when you add more power plants it get really Hairy..lol
But I commend you on some sweet building there..
I just need to say it??? How about TRI-MOTORS??
Now that would be wild???
Keep us in the loop,ok?
This is gonna be a great year for Polaris,,,
Later,
Lenny
lennyboy is offline Find More Posts by lennyboy
Old Feb 09, 2012, 04:32 PM
Radian, Polaris, Mistaken ID.
Japan (Military)
Joined Nov 2010
384 Posts
I Like it.

Great Work Frugal. Great looking build and awsome design.

I would not worry about Dollar Store foamboard. I have not used it since I did not start building with foam till after getting stationed in Japan. However, we have 100yen stores here with foamboard that already has the paper removed. It is very comparable in weight to Depron, but is much less brittle. Comes in a few different colors and the sheets are standard size. Only downside I notice is it is a little harder to sand than Depron, shows mistakes a little eisier... and maybe seems to dull the hobby knife faster. But for the cost and availability... It's worth it to me.

Quote:
I am passing the time creating a twin version. It's made from six, Dollar Store, poster boards. I admit it, I'm frugal. It has a span of 40"; IE two 20" poster boards. The wing is built up with balsa spars and posterboard ribs. As I'm no draughtman, it's been a case of try/fit/cut/patch construction. The main frame was easy but the twin boom has been difficult to get aligned. I peeled the paper from most of the board but retained some on the structural bits to add stiffness. According to Phil the groundhog I've got 6 more weeks to complete.
Baseman is offline Find More Posts by Baseman
Old Feb 09, 2012, 05:22 PM
Tony Audsley Retired Locksmith
Australia, WA, Perth
Joined Sep 2011
2,884 Posts
Nice work Frugal, love it

Gee we are seeing some great models and Polaris mods eh guys .. wonder what will be next?

Lockey
Lockey is online now Find More Posts by Lockey
RCG Plus Member
Last edited by Lockey; Feb 09, 2012 at 06:54 PM.
Old Feb 09, 2012, 10:39 PM
59 years of RC flying
Canada, ON, Ottawa
Joined Feb 2006
16,293 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by mavlo77 View Post

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oegSWT8ARek
Very nice. Flying off good snow is most enjoyable (unfortunately we are back to an ice crust on the snow).
Daedalus66 is online now Find More Posts by Daedalus66
Old Feb 09, 2012, 10:46 PM
Aussie, Aussie, Aussie!
Melbourne, Australia
Joined Apr 2009
1,189 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by lennyboy View Post
Hey Mate,
Would like to see how the[ Necelle motor] moves UP & DOWN,,, at what type of pivit point and the likes??
The idea is similar to what I tried with one of my Skycarts..
It didn't work well for me??
I 'm would say it's my own fault to not try and perfect it as you have..
I'm gettin to old for alot of testing??
It's a very Impressive idea ,,Hats off to ya..
Thanks,
Lenny
Hey Lenny,

Not sure if you have been into my blog and still don't know? If you have post a question on what it is I haven't already covered.
nrg2go is online now Find More Posts by nrg2go
Old Feb 09, 2012, 11:02 PM
check for reversed controls
United States, CA, Chino
Joined Oct 2007
10,206 Posts
My 5th Polaris is 6mm depron wing $ Tree Foam Board fuse. Still going strong with over 60 flights . One of the best pilots at the field called it the best flying plane out here.
alpea 41 is offline Find More Posts by alpea 41
Old Feb 09, 2012, 11:21 PM
Aussie, Aussie, Aussie!
Melbourne, Australia
Joined Apr 2009
1,189 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by jetset44 View Post
Wow, I just got back from a week-long vacation in Kona, Hawaii, and found I have 160+ posts in this thread to catch up with! Boy, this thread moves fast...

First of all, great work on the Vectaris, nrg2go! Very clever thrust vectoring and especially the removable parts. I couldn't tell from the video yet how much more maneuverability the thrust vectoring adds, but that was that the first flight so it'll take a few more flights to wring it out and learn what it enables. I'll be eager to hear the results.

Thanks for posting detailed pics and instructions in your blog, too! I'm sure some folks with the larger Polarii (XL and larger), especially, will be very keen to copy your ideas.

I was also interested to hear the Vectaris doesn't wing rock. I never thought the tip float were a factor there, but I suppose that's possible. I'll need to think about that some more.

Excellent photos of your Vectaris, too!
Thanks Steve,

Troubles with internet last night and I couldn't reply till now.

Your right, I have to now embark on a test program to put Vectaris through her flight envelope to see what the vectoring does better/same/worse than the standard. What will be hard is that some of the benefits may be cancelled out due to the extra wt the prototype is carrying but I will try and be honest and produce on-board vid to back up claims.

I am more than happy with the results of the removable wings and stabilators. I'm thinking of replacing most of my Polaris fleet with just one 133% Vectaris Mk2. One thing I didn't report from the test flight day of Vectaris was an aileron failure on the sixth flight. Soldering steel wire with brass is problematic and it manifested itself halfway through the sixth flight. The solder bond wasn't good and it let go, I had to hold in an amount of aileron to maintain level flight and bring her down for inspection. I will change my blog to suggest using either JBWeld or epoxy to bond the square brass tube to the steel torque wire rather than solder. The torque tubes inside the fuselage are brass to brass so solder is OK.

I'm not sure if the lack of wing rock is because of the Nacelle thrust line being at -7degs or the double size tip floats or a combination of both. I have already reshaped my tip floats because it is not enjoyable to fly off water in its current configuration. We will see if the wing rock starts to come back or not.

Aus is responsible for the stills at the field.
Old Feb 09, 2012, 11:24 PM
Aussie, Aussie, Aussie!
Melbourne, Australia
Joined Apr 2009
1,189 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by allelectrik View Post
nrg2go

Great avatar photo!
Thanks to Aus for my new Avatar.
Old Feb 09, 2012, 11:36 PM
Aussie, Aussie, Aussie!
Melbourne, Australia
Joined Apr 2009
1,189 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by MileHiFlight View Post
NRG2GO - Great execution! Removable wings and stab is just the ticket for stuffing a couple of Polariseses into car for a camping trip. Only thing better would be an inflatible Polaris. Point of concern is the thickness of the CF rod. You've got two spars now, so maybe it isn't a super big deal, but by doubling up the 6mm over the 5mm, you create a large stress point where the two sections of 6mm come together at the wing root. So instead of the 5mm being able to bend along the length of the spar, we're focusing the bending moment at the root. I'd be very nervous dropping it down to 4mm Hobby King CF.

When you soldered the locking brass retainer rings onto the inboard aileron tubes, how did you keep the solder from wicking into 7/32" round brass bush(ing)? My Polaris is part submarine. Any ideas from keeping 2 ft waves from leaking thru the bushing? grease?

-Nick
Thanks Nick,

Hmmmm inflatable you say :roll eyes:

Your probably right about dropping the spar sizes. I was only thinking of doing it because the 6mm CF tube is slightly raised on the surface of the depron but no biggy.

How did I keep the solder from wicking? Skill Nick, skill

No seriously I prepared the ends of both the 7/32" ring and 3/16 round aileron drive tube such that the solder would flow quickly and job done before wicking through to the bush could occur. The 3/16" aileron drive fits perfectly into the 7/32" bush. The gap is virtually zero, which answers your next question. With a little machine oil applied in between the drive and bushing I would say that no water would be able to get through.

Are you announcing Sublaris?
Old Feb 09, 2012, 11:43 PM
Aussie, Aussie, Aussie!
Melbourne, Australia
Joined Apr 2009
1,189 Posts
Quote:
Last summer I built a Porlaris from 1/4" pink fanfold and was very happy with the results. Now I'm in the basement in hibernation, I am passing the time creating a twin version. It's made from six, Dollar Store, poster boards. I admit it, I'm frugal. It has a span of 40"; IE two 20" poster boards. The wing is built up with balsa spars and posterboard ribs. As I'm no draughtman, it's been a case of try/fit/cut/patch construction. The main frame was easy but the twin boom has been difficult to get aligned. I peeled the paper from most of the board but retained some on the structural bits to add stiffness.
According to Phil the groundhog I've got 6 more weeks to complete.
Oh my !!! I'm seeing vectored roll !!!!!

Your doing great but you need a build schedule so that you are ready when Phil says go.
Old Feb 09, 2012, 11:48 PM
Aussie, Aussie, Aussie!
Melbourne, Australia
Joined Apr 2009
1,189 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by mavlo77 View Post

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oegSWT8ARek
Nice one Malvo. Those on-board shots are very steady, how is the camera mounted?
Old Feb 10, 2012, 12:45 AM
The Netherlands
Joined Oct 2008
1,224 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by nrg2go View Post
Nice one Malvo. Those on-board shots are very steady, how is the camera mounted?
Thanks! I used -believe it or not- the most wobly attachment you could imagine!

It's a stacked construction.

It's a piece of velcro glued on the Polaris. On top of that a piece of laminated depron sanded to get a right camera angle with on on both sides velcro. Then an external camera battery with again on both sides velcro. And on top of that the camera with -again- velcro............

During the landing the camera with battery was inside a fish food container, velcro'd on the depron piece. Very top heavy, but I do this now for some years and never failed .

Probably the loose construction dampens the aircraft vibrations. During the landing at the end of the video you can see that the aircraft bumps in the video frame while the image stays pretty stable. It's like a $1 stabilizer .
mavlo77 is offline Find More Posts by mavlo77
Last edited by mavlo77; Feb 10, 2012 at 12:50 AM.
Old Feb 10, 2012, 01:09 AM
Park Jet Guru
Seattle, WA
Joined Jun 2002
5,608 Posts
Wow, very cool to see all the Polaris mods you guys are experimenting with. Nice work, Frugal! That built-up wing looks especially good, and the twin (or tri!) motor arrangement will certainly be unique. Looks like it should fly great! Eager to see how it turns out.
jetset44 is offline Find More Posts by jetset44