SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Feb 08, 2012, 07:14 AM
Joined Oct 2009
1,065 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by nrg2go View Post
Hey Lockey,

I won't clutter the Polaris thread at the moment. Click on my name 'nrg2go' and it will take you to my blog. Vectaris is the latest entry, so its at the top. Scroll down to the bottom of the Vectaris entry, not the bottom of my blog, and click on comments to see more detail. I am still adding more but if there is something you would like to ask or see thats not already covered just post a comment in there.

Cheers mate.
Hey Mate,
Would like to see how the[ Necelle motor] moves UP & DOWN,,, at what type of pivit point and the likes??
The idea is similar to what I tried with one of my Skycarts..
It didn't work well for me??
I 'm would say it's my own fault to not try and perfect it as you have..
I'm gettin to old for alot of testing??
It's a very Impressive idea ,,Hats off to ya..
Thanks,
Lenny
lennyboy is offline Find More Posts by lennyboy
Last edited by lennyboy; Feb 08, 2012 at 03:20 PM.
to remove ads between posts
Old Feb 08, 2012, 02:51 PM
Park Jet Guru
Seattle, WA
Joined Jun 2002
5,612 Posts
Wow, I just got back from a week-long vacation in Kona, Hawaii, and found I have 160+ posts in this thread to catch up with! Boy, this thread moves fast...

First of all, great work on the Vectaris, nrg2go! Very clever thrust vectoring and especially the removable parts. I couldn't tell from the video yet how much more maneuverability the thrust vectoring adds, but that was that the first flight so it'll take a few more flights to wring it out and learn what it enables. I'll be eager to hear the results.

Thanks for posting detailed pics and instructions in your blog, too! I'm sure some folks with the larger Polarii (XL and larger), especially, will be very keen to copy your ideas.

I was also interested to hear the Vectaris doesn't wing rock. I never thought the tip float were a factor there, but I suppose that's possible. I'll need to think about that some more.

Excellent photos of your Vectaris, too!
jetset44 is offline Find More Posts by jetset44
Old Feb 08, 2012, 03:02 PM
Park Jet Guru
Seattle, WA
Joined Jun 2002
5,612 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by pecanpatch View Post
Wow, that was the week from hell. I wanted a custom canopy for my Polaris. Never was a big fan of the painted on original look.
I spent the last 5 or 6 days carving a canopy plug and refining to get what you see here. 6 tries at the vacuum forming and got 2 usable canopies.
The tinting is from RIT dye. (Forest green and royal blue)
If there is any interest in these I will send the mold to parkflyerplastics.com and let him produce them with much better equipment than I have.
The look of the plane to me is transformed into something altogether different. ( not everyone will like it, but dont be a hater) At certain angles it reminds me of my favorite cartoon growing up ; Roger Ramjet
10 weeks to SEFF. An award for best seaplane
On with the paint and trim.
I LOVE that canopy, pecanpatch! That's the best looking Polaris canopy I've seen yet IMO, and really gives the Polaris a totally different and fighter-like look. Just add some AIM-9 Sidewinders to the wingtips and a few antennas, and it'll really fit the bill. Great work!

I didn't realize that 6mmflyrc was now selling Polaris canopies. I like theirs, too, but I agree that it looks a bit small for the airframe. Kinda gives the Polaris a B-47 look instead of the F-16 look. I've been working with 6mmflyrc for years to produce kits of my other park jet designs, and they are a great group of guys to work with.
jetset44 is offline Find More Posts by jetset44
Old Feb 08, 2012, 03:12 PM
Home of "Golf Cart Flying"
Griffin GA
Joined Aug 2008
8,556 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by jetset44 View Post
I LOVE that canopy, pecanpatch! That's the best looking Polaris canopy I've seen yet IMO, and really gives the Polaris a totally different and fighter-like look. Just add some AIM-9 Sidewinders to the wingtips and a few antennas, and it'll really fit the bill. Great work!
Thank you kind sir, I want it to be the coolest Flying boat at SEFF this year
Work continues on the cockpit details. (cuz I can)
pecanpatch is offline Find More Posts by pecanpatch
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Tiggers Big Show
Old Feb 08, 2012, 04:37 PM
Radian, Polaris, Mistaken ID.
Japan (Military)
Joined Nov 2010
389 Posts
Thank you Lockey. You have been doing some great work also! Looking forward to your new seaplane thread. I wrestled with the idea of using your canopy mod as well. Keep up the good work!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lockey View Post
Very clever things you have done there Nrg2go

I too would like to see how you did the wing and tailplane and how you hooked up the ailerons etc .. any pics?

Great mods mate, keep up the GREAT work

Baseman … nice looking build mate .. keep the pics coming

Lockey
Baseman is offline Find More Posts by Baseman
Old Feb 08, 2012, 07:15 PM
Tony Audsley Retired Locksmith
Australia, WA, Perth
Joined Sep 2011
3,098 Posts
Pecan, love “Crazy Murdock” bet the cockpit will look great when its finished

Lockey
Lockey is offline Find More Posts by Lockey
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Easy Autogyro
Old Feb 09, 2012, 02:13 AM
Eugene, Oregon
Joined Feb 2011
600 Posts
nrg2go

Great avatar photo!
allelectrik is offline Find More Posts by allelectrik
Old Feb 09, 2012, 02:16 AM
Longmont, Colorado
Joined Jun 2005
115 Posts
Vectaris Wing Spar

NRG2GO - Great execution! Removable wings and stab is just the ticket for stuffing a couple of Polariseses into car for a camping trip. Only thing better would be an inflatible Polaris. Point of concern is the thickness of the CF rod. You've got two spars now, so maybe it isn't a super big deal, but by doubling up the 6mm over the 5mm, you create a large stress point where the two sections of 6mm come together at the wing root. So instead of the 5mm being able to bend along the length of the spar, we're focusing the bending moment at the root. I'd be very nervous dropping it down to 4mm Hobby King CF.

When you soldered the locking brass retainer rings onto the inboard aileron tubes, how did you keep the solder from wicking into 7/32" round brass bush(ing)? My Polaris is part submarine. Any ideas from keeping 2 ft waves from leaking thru the bushing? grease?

-Nick
MileHiFlight is offline Find More Posts by MileHiFlight
Old Feb 09, 2012, 03:45 AM
Home of "Golf Cart Flying"
Griffin GA
Joined Aug 2008
8,556 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lockey View Post
Pecan, love “Crazy Murdock” bet the cockpit will look great when its finished
Lockey
Thanks Lockey, Crazy Murdock was the Pilot for the A-Team

Well that big ole canopy had to have something in it..
The yellow oxygen tank is in, also doubles duty to blow up the life raft in case of an inevitable ditching..
I had to have the first Polaris with a glass cockpit.
Just having some fun guys, this is the fun part for me
pecanpatch is offline Find More Posts by pecanpatch
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Tiggers Big Show
Old Feb 09, 2012, 06:56 AM
Build, Fly, Rebuild!!
Australia, NSW, Lake Macquarie
Joined Dec 2011
255 Posts
Torque tube installation

[QUOTE=Daedalus66;20645394]I am a fan of torque tubes myself but don't generally recommend them for the Polaris because people seem to have a lot of trouble getting them installed

Hi to all, firstly, thanks Steve for the excellent free plans, and to all who have posted hints and tips.
I started reading this thread after easter last year and got to page 200 and decided I wasn't going to catch up, so I went to the end and continued reading from there.
Like Steve (jetset) I am time poor (20 month old twins and renovating) I started to build a 50% version first to see what issues I would have in building a plane as this is my first build of any model let alone depron, progress in building my Polaris has been slow but I had a burst of building before christmas on my 100% version (trying to get finished before family "Aus" arrived.) I got a bit keen and eager and glued my extended carbon tail support on before installing the torque rods, "Aus" helped me fix this. We also decided to install all components on to the wing without the fuselage being in the way to make the build easier and neater to do! As you can see I also installed a small piece of brass tube to run everything through. Maybe this method of building may make people give torque rods a second look!!

Hopefully it won't be all that much longer before I can get at least one of them ready for a maiden.

Lockey - where did you do your sketchup course at? interested
Ghost who walks is offline Find More Posts by Ghost who walks
RCG Plus Member
Old Feb 09, 2012, 07:14 AM
Tony Audsley Retired Locksmith
Australia, WA, Perth
Joined Sep 2011
3,098 Posts
Quote:
Thanks Lockey, Crazy Murdock was the Pilot for the A-Team
Yes I remember him very well, used to love that series and really liked Murdock

Nice looking setup there Ghost

Quote:
Lockey - where did you do your sketchup course at? Interested
I did it here in Perth but the guy runs them in the east too … http://www.procad.com.au/Data_Return...tname=SketchUp … not cheap BUT it was worth it, I just couldn’t get my head around it, at least now I have a fighting chance

Lockey
Lockey is offline Find More Posts by Lockey
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Easy Autogyro
Old Feb 09, 2012, 08:13 AM
S.E.Michigan
Joined Jul 2010
2,240 Posts
ghost....outstanding work man... love the torque rods...i did my first that way. i used an oversized milk shake/smoothie straw as a conduit and secured below the end of the t-rod pivots. (in the picture it would be above them because its inverted.) absolutely love the stasked servos....make sure that doesnt tax your bec if using only the esc.... ive run small ones that way...but cheap esc are often flakey and overrated by manufaturer.

anyway...nice work. I too extended ply tail support up to the carbon. it has its benefits and drawbacks i will share more on that when im not on my phone!

pat
wheelspinner20 is offline Find More Posts by wheelspinner20
Old Feb 09, 2012, 08:20 AM
Australia, WA, Madeley
Joined Jul 2011
671 Posts
Now that i have the real paintwork on my polaris, here are a couple of pics out in the field just before my second time in the air with her.

I'm finding the colour contrast much better with the current scheme. An orientation much easier.
After flying in lighter winds today I'm much happier with the speed and handling. I think I was just expecting too much on the first flight. Especially after having just flown my souped up funbat.

Still getting the timing right and managed to take her through to LVC. (don't worry, its not something I intentionally or commonly do). She came down beautifully and smoothly deadstick. I think I'm getting the hang of her now.

The Polaris is my first build with torque rods and Ilittle admit it took a little bit of thought to get them right. However, now that I have them sussesd out I am definitely a convert. Very neat and less externals to get caught up on a bumpy landing. Ghost. Those are some nice neat internals I like the tunnel to get the wires through the narrow gap.
Wormboy is online now Find More Posts by Wormboy
Last edited by Wormboy; Feb 09, 2012 at 08:33 AM.
Old Feb 09, 2012, 12:38 PM
Kuopio, Finland
Joined Nov 2008
343 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ghost who walks View Post
Lockey - where did you do your sketchup course at? interested
There are two excellent books for starting with Sketchup, "Google SketchUp For Dummies" and "Google SketchUp The Missing Manual". Now I'm not suggesting that anyone should do anything illegal or immoral, but I believe they might possibly also be available for download with torrent. I wouldn't know anything about it though...

-kepa
kepa is offline Find More Posts by kepa
Old Feb 09, 2012, 03:03 PM
United States, OH, Bethel
Joined Mar 2007
308 Posts
Last summer I built a Porlaris from 1/4" pink fanfold and was very happy with the results. Now I'm in the basement in hibernation, I am passing the time creating a twin version. It's made from six, Dollar Store, poster boards. I admit it, I'm frugal. It has a span of 40"; IE two 20" poster boards. The wing is built up with balsa spars and posterboard ribs. As I'm no draughtman, it's been a case of try/fit/cut/patch construction. The main frame was easy but the twin boom has been difficult to get aligned. I peeled the paper from most of the board but retained some on the structural bits to add stiffness.
According to Phil the groundhog I've got 6 more weeks to complete.
frugalflyer is offline Find More Posts by frugalflyer