HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Feb 05, 2012, 11:53 PM
Bandicoot
United States, CO, Thornton
Joined Nov 2004
18 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Daedalus66 View Post
Very nice! What size is that one? From the appearance, the thick foam and the comments on 9" prop my guess is XL-size (133%). What's it weigh?

One thing I don't understand are the comments on the video that it doesn't glide. Of course it glides! I have flown several of various sizes and weights (up to 50% overweight) and all could be landed perfectly easily power off. Of course, the approach is fairly steep for the heavier ones, but there's no difficulty in the flare. My normal landing is power-off.
Sorry, that was just me reacting (or possibly over-reacting) to the situation. The plane wasn't trimmed out yet, and the CG needed to be shifted to the rear. Once I did that, and programmed my radio's landing system (flaps, basically) the thing handled much better at low speeds.
justinspanier is offline Find More Posts by justinspanier
to remove ads between posts
Old Feb 06, 2012, 12:39 AM
United States, CO, Broomfield
Joined Nov 2011
17 Posts
A Quick
PeopleAreGreat is offline Find More Posts by PeopleAreGreat
Last edited by PeopleAreGreat; Feb 06, 2012 at 12:47 AM.
Old Feb 06, 2012, 12:43 AM
United States, CO, Broomfield
Joined Nov 2011
17 Posts
Wormboy - That same motor is available at HobbyKing or RcTimer for a lot less if you need one in the future!
PeopleAreGreat is offline Find More Posts by PeopleAreGreat
Old Feb 06, 2012, 02:24 AM
Tony Audsley Retired Locksmith
Australia, WA, Perth
Joined Sep 2011
3,261 Posts
Justin, what size Polaris have you built there? And whats the all up weight?

Lockey
Lockey is offline Find More Posts by Lockey
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Easy Autogyro
Old Feb 06, 2012, 03:59 AM
Aussie, Aussie, Aussie!
Australia, NT, Katherine
Joined Apr 2009
1,191 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by ggcrandall1 View Post
Getting ready to start my Polaris build. I have a couple of shop projects to wrap up and then I get serious about the Polaris.

I asked this earlier but it seems to fallen through a crack somewhere. So again, can someone post some pictures of key chain cam mounted on your Polaris? Also how about camera mounted on a hat?

Thanks, Glen
Hi Glen,

All my #16 keycam footage is held on with HK Velcro only, seems to be secure enough.

To splash proof my setup I am using the thumb section of a latex glove. Cut the tip off for the lens and mic, then cut a semi-circular section for the base where the velcro is. The Dayglo Orange and Yellow dots I added to prompt me of which button is which. I can easily see the RED and YEL LED colours through the latex however the GRN LED, when it is charging, I cannot see with or without the latex covering outdoors.

The only cam I have mounted on a hat is my GoPro. I used the packaging that the GoPro was attached to and fitted it to the brim of a cap. Worked well but being a wide-angle lens, only the close in shots are interesting enough to use.

Hopefully the pics explain it better than me.

Cheers
nrg2go is offline Find More Posts by nrg2go
Last edited by nrg2go; Feb 06, 2012 at 04:53 AM.
Old Feb 06, 2012, 04:48 AM
Home of "Golf Cart Flying"
Griffin GA
Joined Aug 2008
8,660 Posts
Roger Ram Jet

Wow, that was the week from hell. I wanted a custom canopy for my Polaris. Never was a big fan of the painted on original look.
I spent the last 5 or 6 days carving a canopy plug and refining to get what you see here. 6 tries at the vacuum forming and got 2 usable canopies.
The tinting is from RIT dye. (Forest green and royal blue)
If there is any interest in these I will send the mold to parkflyerplastics.com and let him produce them with much better equipment than I have.
The look of the plane to me is transformed into something altogether different. ( not everyone will like it, but dont be a hater) At certain angles it reminds me of my favorite cartoon growing up ; Roger Ramjet
10 weeks to SEFF. An award for best seaplane
On with the paint and trim.
pecanpatch is online now Find More Posts by pecanpatch
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Tiggers Big Show
Old Feb 06, 2012, 05:00 AM
Aussie, Aussie, Aussie!
Australia, NT, Katherine
Joined Apr 2009
1,191 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by pecanpatch View Post
Wow, that was the week from hell. I wanted a custom canopy for my Polaris. Never was a big fan of the painted on original look.
I spent the last 5 or 6 days carving a canopy plug and refining to get what you see here. 6 tries at the vacuum forming and got 2 usable canopies.
If there is any interest in these I will send the mold to parkflyerplastics.com and let him produce them with much better equipment than I have.
The look of the plane to me is transformed into something altogether different. ( not everyone will like it, but dont be a hater) At certain angles it reminds me of my favorite cartoon growing up ; Roger Ramjet
Nice but I couldn't resist.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature...&v=oLyTzIslEQk
Old Feb 06, 2012, 05:18 AM
Griffin GA
Joined Aug 2008
8,660 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by nrg2go View Post
Yes! thats what I'm talking about!
My other ongoing build is a Cartoon P-40
RCG Plus Member
Old Feb 06, 2012, 05:40 AM
Aussie, Aussie, Aussie!
Australia, NT, Katherine
Joined Apr 2009
1,191 Posts
Quote:
You might also try 6mmflyrc, they already make a canopy for the Polaris for $9. Or maybe you like the F22, F18, F14 etc canopy's.

http://www.6mmflyrc.com/power-gear/
Last edited by nrg2go; Feb 06, 2012 at 05:57 AM.
Old Feb 06, 2012, 05:44 AM
Australia, WA, Madeley
Joined Jul 2011
685 Posts
Quote:
I'd totally forgotten about Roger ramjet! Thank for the reminiscence and yes I see the resemblance to Roger's ramjet very nice canopy
Wormboy is online now Find More Posts by Wormboy
Old Feb 06, 2012, 05:53 AM
Aus
ʎןɟ inverted ɹǝpunuʍop
Australia, ACT, Amaroo
Joined Jul 2011
1,267 Posts
Quote:
Looking good. It will be interesting to see if there are any changes in flight characteristics, but I'm sure it will be fine. I personally think the 6MM FLY RC Polaris canopy is a little too small. If yours become available commercially, it will be good for builders to have a choice - well done.

Of course you can't fit a clear (or lightly tinted) canopy without a pilot figure... and you now have to continue on with your Roger Ramjet theme... and you will then have to update your Avatar...and of course keep us all posted of your progress... 5 or 6 days down, 10-12 remaining...

Aus.
Aus is offline Find More Posts by Aus
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Model Tech Blue Max II
Old Feb 06, 2012, 08:03 AM
Griffin GA
Joined Aug 2008
8,660 Posts
Thanks for the positive comments
If anything the additional side area may help with Knife edge flight.
I'm really looking forward to flying it! But I never get in a rush
Deadlines are the only thing that speed me up.
The battery hatch will be cut around the canopy. The canopy will add a little stiffness to the hatch. I plan to use rare earth magnets to hold the hatch down.
RCG Plus Member
Old Feb 06, 2012, 12:08 PM
60 years of RC flying
Canada, ON, Ottawa
Joined Feb 2006
16,727 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by justinspanier View Post
Sorry, that was just me reacting (or possibly over-reacting) to the situation. The plane wasn't trimmed out yet, and the CG needed to be shifted to the rear. Once I did that, and programmed my radio's landing system (flaps, basically) the thing handled much better at low speeds.
And my over-reaction to your comment on the video!

I'm interested in your reference to flaps (using dual aileron servos I presume). I haven't found programming the ailerons as flaperons (i.e., drooping them) very helpful. But using them as spoilerons (i.e., raising them about 20 degrees) produces an interesting, stable and controllable steep approach. You just have to be careful to get the speed down first, as otherwise there is a strong pitch-up (which landed me in a tree last fall!). I plan to try programming in a slow deployment of spoileron when I flip the switch.
Daedalus66 is offline Find More Posts by Daedalus66
Old Feb 06, 2012, 12:18 PM
Crewe England
Joined Nov 2005
142 Posts
My latest Polaris build sports a canopy from a wrecked ALFA SABRE. On close inspection you my notice that I have removed the top half of the front screen and left the rear of the canopy open at the end so providing cooling air over the battery. You might also spot other distinctive features incorporated in this experimental example.
acecall is offline Find More Posts by acecall
Old Feb 06, 2012, 12:19 PM
S.E.Michigan
Joined Jul 2010
2,240 Posts
nrg......thats sweet its a camera condom!!

no glove....no love!!ha couldnt resist!
wheelspinner20 is offline Find More Posts by wheelspinner20