HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Feb 05, 2012, 10:09 AM
USA, GA, Marietta
Joined Aug 2005
5,698 Posts
Thanks to both wheelspinner20 and Daedalus66. Excellent descriptions of your set ups. It looks like I'll need three of the #16 key chain cams. One for the hat and two for the plane.

I expect after I get the cameras I'll be back for help with editing.

Thanks again. So many good ideas here and so many people to thank.

Glen
ggcrandall1 is offline Find More Posts by ggcrandall1
to remove ads between posts
Old Feb 05, 2012, 10:37 AM
S.E.Michigan
Joined Jul 2010
2,240 Posts
Quote:
It looks like I'll need three of the #16 key chain cams
It can be done with one, three is a lot to keep up with while editing. If you keep the flights short, and keep the same basic routine. Couple touch and goes, in the same relative area, a couple aerobatics, and some straight and level slow stuff, you can do the same 5 minute flight with the cam front, then back, then on the hat.... Then blend them together post production. For me anyway, its VERY time consuming to edit if you want to blend everything together smoothly. Thats why I usually just grab the best 3 minutes (best meaning most visually interesting) and slap them together on the timeline, drag and drop some transitions beteen the cuts.... and finish it.

I have, for some dumb reason, spent 3 to 4 hours on 4 minutes of video... Not to mention it pays to have large storage capacity, and a fast processor with other progs shut off.!

P.
wheelspinner20 is offline Find More Posts by wheelspinner20
Old Feb 05, 2012, 10:45 AM
S.E.Michigan
Joined Jul 2010
2,240 Posts
Oh yes, almost forgot, if you are a stickler for high quality picture on the video, there is yet another option in camera selection. While mine is quite sufficient for my viewing pleasure, The makers of the #16 from my last vid, have stepped it up. There are still some issues being worked out I think, but the next step is getting the 720p at 60 frames per second.! This is now available in a slightly larger slightly heavier version.(still light enough for the polaris ...no problem)

Here is the thread for that cam. IT MUST BE PURCHASED FROM A SPECIFIC SELLER! Tons of copy cats out there. Pays to read.

http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1566331
Old Feb 05, 2012, 04:16 PM
Gravity-Compliant User
Nebraska USA
Joined Mar 2008
1,450 Posts
I may have to look into one of those cameras, but have 3 flight cameras already, including a GoPro HD. The GoPro is a bit much for the Polaris, and the other 2 are SD, but another small HD camera would be handy.

After a 12" snowfall/blizzard yesterday, with 35 mph wind gusts, today was perfect - clear, sunny skies, 5 mph wind, temp about at the freezing point. So introduced my Polaris to the snow - a perfect match!!! With my glassed bottom, it was slippery like a snow ski - I went to taxi out and it was in the air immediately under low power! Ran through 5 batteries with dozens of touch & go's. This plane flies as if it were on rails, with the rolls axial, and the loops magnificent. (But, you guys know all that...)

It was just me, the Polaris, the sun and the snow, but it truly was a Zen-like experience. Kudos again to Steve, Laddy, and Scott!

Sorry, no video, but here's a snapshot of the field...

Roger
Zaurak3 is offline Find More Posts by Zaurak3
Old Feb 05, 2012, 05:24 PM
Bandicoot
United States, CO, Thornton
Joined Nov 2004
18 Posts
I just built one, and maidened it this morning. All went well. Here is a video...

Polaris Maiden Flight on Snow (2 min 39 sec)
justinspanier is offline Find More Posts by justinspanier
Old Feb 05, 2012, 06:01 PM
Tony Audsley Retired Locksmith
Australia, WA, Perth
Joined Sep 2011
3,090 Posts
Nice maiden Justin, good looking Polaris too mate, how about a few pics and what gear you are running with

Hey Roger, that’s a nice looking Polaris too mate, it looks great against the “white stuff” … is that “SNOW” ?

Lockey
Lockey is offline Find More Posts by Lockey
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Easy Autogyro
Old Feb 05, 2012, 07:46 PM
United States, CO, Broomfield
Joined Nov 2011
17 Posts
Great job Mate!
PeopleAreGreat is offline Find More Posts by PeopleAreGreat
Old Feb 05, 2012, 08:34 PM
Bandicoot
United States, CO, Thornton
Joined Nov 2004
18 Posts
Mine's running a 30 amp esc with a 890kv motor turning a 9X6 prop. I was using a 4000 mAh battery. I'm thinking about switching to an 8X6 3 bladed prop, just to see what happens. Still working on dialing everything in. This was my first scratch build, and I've got to say, these plans by Steve Shumate are top-notch. I built this one out of 1/2" owens corning foamular, that can be had for $15.00 a sheet. This build went very smoothly. I might never buy another ARF again... Thanks to "PeopleAreGreat" for being my videographer. The wife was proud, just like you said she would be.
justinspanier is offline Find More Posts by justinspanier
Last edited by justinspanier; Feb 05, 2012 at 08:51 PM. Reason: add stuff
Old Feb 05, 2012, 09:30 PM
Culper Junior
eastern pa
Joined Feb 2007
2,220 Posts
Just wondering....
I'm buying one of these for another model......http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1588607

Could it also be used on the Polaris?

Here's the specs......http://www.bphobbies.com/view.asp?id...7&pid=B3945417
aeronca52 is offline Find More Posts by aeronca52
Old Feb 05, 2012, 09:40 PM
S.E.Michigan
Joined Jul 2010
2,240 Posts
On a standard 100% you wont be able to get a 9 inch prop that this motor makes good thrust with.

On and xl, like the size of the one in the video, 125% or the xl that modelaero sells that is 133% size, I would say I think that motor might work ok.! Xl flys a little more gentle because of the increased wing area.
Old Feb 05, 2012, 09:42 PM
S.E.Michigan
Joined Jul 2010
2,240 Posts
Very nicely done Justin, that thing looks like it flys very nice.
Old Feb 05, 2012, 09:55 PM
Australia, WA, Madeley
Joined Jul 2011
668 Posts
Hmm, looking back through previous folks videos, I still think my polaris may be a bit slow and lumbering.

I'm running a 2826-8 2200kv with a 6x5.

I'm considering pushing it up to a 2836- 2500kv running a 7x something, or a 3 blade. More push as well as more kv. The extra weight will also allow me to balance with a 2200mah rather than the 1800mah I'm currently using. ESC is already oversized with a 55A and exposed heatsink so it should be OK in that respect.

Any opinions? Or do you all think I'm going to pull the nacelle and sabilizers clean off the back of the fuse .

-Mat-
Wormboy is offline Find More Posts by Wormboy
Old Feb 05, 2012, 10:19 PM
60 years of RC flying
Canada, ON, Ottawa
Joined Feb 2006
16,502 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by justinspanier View Post
I just built one, and maidened it this morning. All went well. Here is a video...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ctUWcarXHRM
Very nice! What size is that one? From the appearance, the thick foam and the comments on 9" prop my guess is XL-size (133%). What's it weigh?

One thing I don't understand are the comments on the video that it doesn't glide. Of course it glides! I have flown several of various sizes and weights (up to 50% overweight) and all could be landed perfectly easily power off. Of course, the approach is fairly steep for the heavier ones, but there's no difficulty in the flare. My normal landing is power-off.
Daedalus66 is offline Find More Posts by Daedalus66
Old Feb 05, 2012, 10:24 PM
60 years of RC flying
Canada, ON, Ottawa
Joined Feb 2006
16,502 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wormboy View Post
Hmm, looking back through previous folks videos, I still think my polaris may be a bit slow and lumbering.

I'm running a 2826-8 2200kv with a 6x5.

I'm considering pushing it up to a 2836- 2500kv running a 7x something, or a 3 blade. More push as well as more kv. The extra weight will also allow me to balance with a 2200mah rather than the 1800mah I'm currently using. ESC is already oversized with a 55A and exposed heatsink so it should be OK in that respect.

Any opinions? Or do you all think I'm going to pull the nacelle and sabilizers clean off the back of the fuse .

-Mat-
I think you answered your own question!
Daedalus66 is offline Find More Posts by Daedalus66
Old Feb 05, 2012, 10:28 PM
Australia, WA, Madeley
Joined Jul 2011
668 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Daedalus66 View Post
I think you answered your own question!
lol, too overpowerd then?
Wormboy is offline Find More Posts by Wormboy