SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Reply
Thread Tools
Old Feb 05, 2012, 12:38 AM
60 years of RC flying
Daedalus66's Avatar
Canada, ON, Ottawa
Joined Feb 2006
16,963 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wormboy View Post
Thanks, d/r changed as per suggestions

Transparent scotch tape should do the trick for me then. That's what I already use for hinges on most of my depron builds so there is plenty lying around. The red striping is "bear tape" sort of a lower quality, less sticky tape. That will be coming off in favor of acrylic paint.

Always wondered why it was called duck tape. Cool story

Vectaris looks awesome NRG. Top job on the mods
Not Scotch tape but Scotch Tough Transparent Duct Tape:
http://www.3m.com/brands/scotch/toughtape/
Wonderful stuff and not at all like Scotch Transparent Tape, which I also use, but for other things.
Then there's Scotch Multitask tape, which is a kind of heavy duty Scotch Transparent Tape.
Then there's Scotch Gift Tape, which works well for the edges of Depron and also for light weight hinges (though I prefer Multitask)..
Daedalus66 is online now Find More Posts by Daedalus66
Reply With Quote
Sign up now
to remove ads between posts
Old Feb 05, 2012, 12:42 AM
60 years of RC flying
Daedalus66's Avatar
Canada, ON, Ottawa
Joined Feb 2006
16,963 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by nrg2go View Post
Hi D66,

I think I already answered in others questions, but I will share how I did it for those that are interested in my blog shortly. I guess for those that have an aversion to torque tubes, you ain't going to like the how.

I agree the more aft the prop the better the reaction out of vectoring. Shortening the Nacelle won't be possible in the current configuration because the prop will strike the leading edge of the vertical fin near the base. Placing it on the rear is a great transformation on Vectaris and I believe easily done once you see how I did the current version, excellent idea D66.

Edit: Having thought a little more about this I don't think I will peruse it because the stabilator and rudder will no longer have prop wash over them.

Cheers
I am a fan of torque tubes myself but don't generally recommend them for the Polaris because people seem to have a lot of trouble getting them installed.

I was wondering about a redesign of the tail with a straighter leading edge to allow the prop to move back a bit. It would probably mean extending the fuselage ans straightening the rudder hinge line.
Daedalus66 is online now Find More Posts by Daedalus66
Reply With Quote
Old Feb 05, 2012, 12:47 AM
Registered User
wheelspinner20's Avatar
S.E.Michigan
Joined Jul 2010
2,240 Posts
The new #16 hd 808 keychain cam on my hat. First sunny nice day with snow... did I post this already? anyway enjoy. Slow to buffer, so just hit pause, and let it all get there to avoid the buffer pausing.

Enjoy Love this plane.


#16 keychain camera on my hat. Polaris Sunny day (8 min 42 sec)
wheelspinner20 is offline Find More Posts by wheelspinner20
Reply With Quote
Old Feb 05, 2012, 01:10 AM
Aussie, Aussie, Aussie!
nrg2go's Avatar
Australia, NT, Katherine
Joined Apr 2009
1,193 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Daedalus66 View Post
I am a fan of torque tubes myself but don't generally recommend them for the Polaris because people seem to have a lot of trouble getting them installed.

I was wondering about a redesign of the tail with a straighter leading edge to allow the prop to move back a bit. It would probably mean extending the fuselage ans straightening the rudder hinge line.
A straighter fin would do it, and straightening up the rudder hinge line would only be better for horn actuation. I'd like to get a little more than the +/- 5degs of throw I currently have for that wild response. Sounds like you might be the first if you decide to go for vectored 'thrust.

I've started putting up all the details in my blog for both the vectored thrust and the transportability. Still got more words and pics to add but the concept should be there to get an insight for now.
nrg2go is offline Find More Posts by nrg2go
Reply With Quote
Old Feb 05, 2012, 01:11 AM
Aussie, Aussie, Aussie!
nrg2go's Avatar
Australia, NT, Katherine
Joined Apr 2009
1,193 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by wheelspinner20 View Post
The new #16 hd 808 keychain cam on my hat. First sunny nice day with snow... did I post this already? anyway enjoy. Slow to buffer, so just hit pause, and let it all get there to avoid the buffer pausing.

Enjoy Love this plane.


http://vimeo.com/35433004
What's that white stuff on the ground??
nrg2go is offline Find More Posts by nrg2go
Reply With Quote
Old Feb 05, 2012, 04:01 AM
Registered User
Wormboy's Avatar
Australia, WA, Madeley
Joined Jul 2011
691 Posts
My Polaris survived her maiden!

It was a bit windier than I would have liked but I took her out to the airfield anyway. A couple of flying buddies talked me into running up the motor on the ground and scooting along the beach sand. Before I knew it she was in the air.

She flew nicely and tracked well despite the gusty winds. The first landing was a bit heavy but the next two were as smooth as a baby's bum. Power-on landings are the way to go.

I actually thought she would go a bit faster but I'm not sure if thats just my perception as I'm used to flying smaller planes. Everything held up very well except the motor mount. After the third landing the motor mount had half pulled away from the nacelle. I've pulled it all the way off, epoxied two strips of light ply down the inside of the nacelle and epoxied the whole thing back together. We'll see how is all holds up next time. I suspect I have a bit of vibration, perhaps from an unbalanced prop. I'll have a closer look before I put her up again.

All in all, couldnt have been better, three take-offs, 3 landings and a potential crash averted from a weak motor mount. I'd say thats a good maiden.
Wormboy is offline Find More Posts by Wormboy
Reply With Quote
Old Feb 05, 2012, 04:09 AM
Aussie, Aussie, Aussie!
nrg2go's Avatar
Australia, NT, Katherine
Joined Apr 2009
1,193 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wormboy View Post
My Polaris survived her maiden!

It was a bit windier than I would have liked but I took her out to the airfield anyway. A couple of flying buddies talked me into running up the motor on the ground and scooting along the beach sand. Before I knew it she was in the air.

She flew nicely and tracked well despite the gusty winds. The first landing was a bit heavy but the next two were as smooth as a baby's bum. Power-on landings are the way to go.

I actually thought she would go a bit faster but I'm not sure if thats just my perception as I'm used to flying smaller planes. Everything held up very well except the motor mount. After the third landing the motor mount had half pulled away from the nacelle. I've pulled it all the way off, epoxied two strips of light ply down the inside of the nacelle and epoxied the whole thing back together. We'll see how is all holds up next time. I suspect I have a bit of vibration, perhaps from an unbalanced prop. I'll have a closer look before I put her up again.

All in all, couldnt have been better, three take-offs, 3 landings and a potential crash averted from a weak motor mount. I'd say thats a good maiden.
Outstanding! Congrats. It's always a good thing to discover faults on the ground. Any vid?
nrg2go is offline Find More Posts by nrg2go
Reply With Quote
Old Feb 05, 2012, 04:29 AM
Registered User
Wormboy's Avatar
Australia, WA, Madeley
Joined Jul 2011
691 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by nrg2go View Post
Outstanding! Congrats. It's always a good thing to discover faults on the ground. Any vid?
Thanks,

Sorry no vid, need to buy myself a hatcam
Wormboy is offline Find More Posts by Wormboy
Reply With Quote
Old Feb 05, 2012, 07:59 AM
Tony Audsley Retired Locksmith
Lockey's Avatar
Australia, WA, Perth
Joined Sep 2011
3,377 Posts
Good one Wormboy, glad you found the damaged motor mount on the ground and not in the air

Lockey
Lockey is online now Find More Posts by Lockey
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Easy Autogyro
Reply With Quote
Old Feb 05, 2012, 08:09 AM
60 years of RC flying
Daedalus66's Avatar
Canada, ON, Ottawa
Joined Feb 2006
16,963 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by wheelspinner20 View Post
The new #16 hd 808 keychain cam on my hat. First sunny nice day with snow... did I post this already? anyway enjoy. Slow to buffer, so just hit pause, and let it all get there to avoid the buffer pausing.

Enjoy Love this plane.


http://vimeo.com/35433004
That's the kind of snow I like! Ours has had an ice crust on it lately.

I'm really quite impressed with that new #16 camera.
Daedalus66 is online now Find More Posts by Daedalus66
Reply With Quote
Old Feb 05, 2012, 08:41 AM
Registered User
ggcrandall1's Avatar
USA, GA, Marietta
Joined Aug 2005
5,902 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by wheelspinner20 View Post
The new #16 hd 808 keychain cam on my hat. First sunny nice day with snow... did I post this already? anyway enjoy. Slow to buffer, so just hit pause, and let it all get there to avoid the buffer pausing.

Enjoy Love this plane.


http://vimeo.com/35433004
Nice video. I'm impressed with the hatcam concept. Do you have to work on keeping your head moving smoothly? The beginning is pretty jerky but after you got airborne it was much smoother.

Very nice driving back to your car. Now it just had reverse you could have backed away from that fence.

Glen
ggcrandall1 is offline Find More Posts by ggcrandall1
Reply With Quote
Old Feb 05, 2012, 08:48 AM
Registered User
ggcrandall1's Avatar
USA, GA, Marietta
Joined Aug 2005
5,902 Posts
Getting ready to start my Polaris build. I have a couple of shop projects to wrap up and then I get serious about the Polaris.

I asked this earlier but it seems to fallen through a crack somewhere. So again, can someone post some pictures of key chain cam mounted on your Polaris? Also how about camera mounted on a hat?

Thanks, Glen
ggcrandall1 is offline Find More Posts by ggcrandall1
Reply With Quote
Old Feb 05, 2012, 09:24 AM
Registered User
wheelspinner20's Avatar
S.E.Michigan
Joined Jul 2010
2,240 Posts
Glen here ya go.

Now, sometimes I go with some tape over the top for a little extra insurance. But I would use vinyl so less vibration is tranfered.

I would also recommend a small piece of scotch gift over the sd card slot to prevent lossing it... ask me how I know.! Simply 1.5 inch pieces of self stick velcro. Good quality. I use the soft on the camera, and the loops on the hard mounts.

The wire on the hat is .035 mig welding wire. The top part is just bent in a flat kind of coil, spread out so that tape holds it to the bill of the hat. The just trial fit and bend and snip when it makes a ssoft focused line fram on the left and the right of your subject. The length it is cut off is also specific, where the wire ends, is the center of the top bottom aspect. Yes there is only 1 wire, thats all that is necessary because it is fixed so close to your eyes, when you are focused distant on your plane, it becomes 2 unobtrusive lines.! Works really well. I just watch carefully when I reapply the cam. The wire points straight ahead and the "m" on the hat is what I use for a longitudinal alignment.

Pat
wheelspinner20 is offline Find More Posts by wheelspinner20
Last edited by wheelspinner20; Feb 05, 2012 at 09:31 AM.
Reply With Quote
Old Feb 05, 2012, 09:42 AM
Registered User
wheelspinner20's Avatar
S.E.Michigan
Joined Jul 2010
2,240 Posts
Thanks for the vid compliments. Very happy with the performance of the #16 with the latest firmware.

Glen, about the motion. I was promoting, as you could hear. Normally I would not post all of the vide like that. The issue was to post the native file to vimeo with no processing. I always take the lazy way out ant use simple windowzzzz live movie maker for editing. And it would of course re-format it even if I just cut a few minutes out. The guys at the #16 cam thread want to see a untouched file to judge performance.

Promotion: There was a dog walker/neighbor that had walked over, attracted obvioulsy by the plane. So my mind was more on being polite and informitive to him than keeping smooth motion on the cam at that point. PLUS, i had tried some old sunglasses over my new presc. glasses, and that why I aborted that first takeoff, because they were ppinched and awkward between hat bill and I was concerned that it would be an issue with both vision and cam angle. !

Sorry so much detail but that explains the long vid, and the un-finished product.

Very important to keep the wide angle off of the cams when hat caming. UNLESS all the subject is like 5 to 10 feet away. I was flying at the school. So that helps in limiting the distant shots that end up as an annoying speck in the sky. So the message is, hat camming the action has to be close.! PLUS, being at the non-official field alone and safe, it allows me some close encounter passes, and buzzing around on the ground in all directions to show of the "snowmobile" mode fun!

Cheers and happy flying.!

Wormboy, great description, glad it went welll recruit some help for vid. We would love to see you in action.!

Pat
wheelspinner20 is offline Find More Posts by wheelspinner20
Reply With Quote
Old Feb 05, 2012, 10:10 AM
60 years of RC flying
Daedalus66's Avatar
Canada, ON, Ottawa
Joined Feb 2006
16,963 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by ggcrandall1 View Post
Getting ready to start my Polaris build. I have a couple of shop projects to wrap up and then I get serious about the Polaris.

I asked this earlier but it seems to fallen through a crack somewhere. So again, can someone post some pictures of key chain cam mounted on your Polaris? Also how about camera mounted on a hat?

Thanks, Glen
I've tried various locations, but the best setup has been a small pylon to raise the camera above the fuselage. It can bee seen in this video involving the XL.
Polaris XL Returns to the Air (1 min 53 sec)

Note that I had two cameras on board, facing both forward and back. To see the results, take a look at this earlier video.
Polaris XL: Final Flight? (2 min 6 sec)


The camera is attached with velcro and a strap of Blenderm tape over the top. The latter not only stabilizes the camera (velcro alone is not enough) but acts as a safeguard against the card popping out in flight (as has happened to some people).

Note that you should not mount the camera anywhere near the motor and it will pick up vibration. Cover the microphone hole with tape to cut down wind noise (it will still get the motor sound).

Enjoy the Polaris build!
Daedalus66 is online now Find More Posts by Daedalus66
Reply With Quote