Old Feb 03, 2012, 10:11 PM
Aussie, Aussie, Aussie!
Melbourne, Australia
Joined Apr 2009
1,190 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aus View Post
Simple - don't blink .

Seriously, you are not on your lonesome there MHF. My first Polaris was lost (and still is ) after I lost orientation on the maiden. Since then, I ensure I have plenty of contrasting color applied and try not to let it get too far away. There are still some orientations that confuse me and I have learned to trust the model (and myself) that everything is alright and not to move the sticks. The orientation that seems to mess with me most is the turn from base leg to final. I just consciously remind myself that I have initiated a turn and it will come around. It certainly gets the heart racing and the sticks are gripped a bit tighter, but I always regain orientation and continue with the approach.

The Polaris is my first delta wing, so I can't comment on whether this is a unique characteristic of the deltas, but I certainly find this to be a challenging model with respect to orientation. I certainly don't throw the Polaris aimlessly around in a crazy attempt at aerobatics - this would mean certain Polaris death with me in (or out of ) control.

Aus.
You lie !! I saw you today throwing your Polaris around like you were in the RedBull Air Race. I also saw you walking with me to the car park after flying and both your Polarii were in one piece, unlike one of mine. But that's another story isn't it?
nrg2go is online now Find More Posts by nrg2go
to remove ads between posts
Old Feb 03, 2012, 10:55 PM
Aus
ʎןɟ inverted ɹǝpunuʍop
Australia, ACT, Amaroo
Joined Jul 2011
1,225 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by nrg2go View Post
You lie !! I saw you today throwing your Polaris around like you were in the RedBull Air Race. I also saw you walking with me to the car park after flying and both your Polarii were in one piece, unlike one of mine. But that's another story isn't it?
Yeah, what a great day. Beautiful clear skies, no wind early and only a slight breeze as the morning progressed. 15 degrees celcius when we started around 0700, 26 when we left at 1000, and right now an enjoyable 32 - I might grab a cold beer .

I expended all twelve batteries having an absolute blast flying my night flyer Polaris and my much repaired orange Polaris. Lots and lots of landings on the lake.

Aus.
Aus is offline Find More Posts by Aus
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Model Tech Blue Max II
Old Feb 03, 2012, 11:14 PM
S.E.Michigan
Joined Jul 2010
2,240 Posts
Quote:
but too many times I fly too far away, not always on purpose, and blink
Been there... done that.!

Now, try at night. Why is it I always decide impulsively, to try snap rolls and loops at the farthest out point of my patterns??????

Well to be fair, one crash was because of a sudden swarm of face and eye targeted mosquitos.!

I now constantly tell myself, slow low and simple 4 turn patterns at night.! nothing fancy.! Touch and goes are ok because they happen right in front of me.!

Pat
wheelspinner20 is offline Find More Posts by wheelspinner20
Old Feb 03, 2012, 11:53 PM
Longmont, Colorado
Joined Jun 2005
115 Posts
OK. Slow low and simple, Slow low and simple. Works for me as long as it is not a little tiny dot.

Haven't lost/crashed my Polaris yet, but someone was clearly watching over me from above, and yes my knees were knocking.

My teen-age son built up a beautiful jetset44 F-22 Raptor. Powered it up at 650W. All poly-glassed. Got a few flights on it and you guessed it. Too fast, too far, little dot doing a spiral - "Here Dad, you take it" 1/4 mile out 50 ft above the ground. Technically I crashed his plane.

Think about night flying with an auto recover button that gets you back in level flight in a standard rate turn, altitude hold.

Older son just splatted his new Yardbird RC F22 over the holidays. Same deal, too much power (don't go there), too much wind, grey plane (had to look scale) on a gray overcast day, little dot spiral, splat. No where near the time investment compared to a Polaris or even jetset44 F-22, but not a positive uplifting experience.

We have the technology. Time to end this carnage.

-Nick
MileHiFlight is offline Find More Posts by MileHiFlight
Old Feb 03, 2012, 11:58 PM
Australia, WA, Madeley
Joined Jul 2011
662 Posts
Sorry to get off topic, but... Nick, what is the model in your avatar. Forward swept wings with a canard. Looks awesome.

Back on topic..
Polaris maiden tomorrow weather permitting
Wormboy is offline Find More Posts by Wormboy
Old Feb 04, 2012, 12:22 AM
Longmont, Colorado
Joined Jun 2005
115 Posts
xbow http://www.foamfly.com/product.php?p...&cat=11&page=1

Best wishes on the maiden. Tell us how it goes.
MileHiFlight is offline Find More Posts by MileHiFlight
Old Feb 04, 2012, 04:11 AM
Aussie, Aussie, Aussie!
Melbourne, Australia
Joined Apr 2009
1,190 Posts
Well I have been very quiet on the thread of late. The reason is because I have been working on an idea and that idea was Test Flown this morning.

This idea introduces two main concepts and a third which I am currently modifying as it didn't come up to my expectations.

I will post this video first and let it speak for itself. Then I will followup with some pic's. I'll leave the finer detail of how and what for questions if anyone is interested.

Enjoy

Introducing VECTARIS (4 min 15 sec)
Old Feb 04, 2012, 04:57 AM
Aus
ʎןɟ inverted ɹǝpunuʍop
Australia, ACT, Amaroo
Joined Jul 2011
1,225 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by nrg2go View Post
Well I have been very quiet on the thread of late. The reason is because I have been working on an idea and that idea was Test Flown this morning.

This idea introduces two main concepts and a third which I am currently modifying as it didn't come up to my expectations.

I will post this video first and let it speak for itself. Then I will followup with some pic's. I'll leave the finer detail of how and what for questions if anyone is interested.

Enjoy

http://vimeo.com/36183408
Congratulations on your successful maiden (and numerous subsequent flights). I know you have spent significant effort bringing Vectaris to life.

Bring on the photos.
Aus is offline Find More Posts by Aus
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Model Tech Blue Max II
Old Feb 04, 2012, 05:10 AM
Aussie, Aussie, Aussie!
Melbourne, Australia
Joined Apr 2009
1,190 Posts
Some shots from the day, big thanks to Aus for the camera work.
Old Feb 04, 2012, 06:12 AM
USA, GA, Marietta
Joined Aug 2005
5,640 Posts
Instead of making the floats wider have you thought about making them deeper? Maybe just a bit deeper at the trailing edge? (Trailing end lower into the water.)

I couldn't tell much about your vectored thrust from just one viewing. I'll go back and watch it again. What is your feeling about it? Worth the effort? Do you have the thrust vectoring tied into the elevator control? Separate servo I presume.

I really like the transportation feature. Nice to be able be able to transport is a smaller space. Additional room for more airplanes. Can you post details of the construction?

Glen
ggcrandall1 is offline Find More Posts by ggcrandall1
Old Feb 04, 2012, 08:14 AM
Australia, WA, Madeley
Joined Jul 2011
662 Posts
Couple of pre maiden pix.

I'm not confident that i've sealed up the hull tight enough for a water launch yet so the maiden will be off terra firma.

I do hope to fly off water so i will be sealing the hull properly, probably with WBPU and some the missus' left over silk.
Likewise the tape racing stripes will be replaced with a proper paint job.
Old Feb 04, 2012, 08:17 AM
We shall serve the Lord
United States, TX, Kingsland
Joined Sep 2005
5,080 Posts
NRG2GO -- Have you had a chance to try inverted flight yet? The vectored thrust may perform better inverted than the stock -2 degree stab setup. How about high alpha when you have to jab the throttle wide open? With your setup, you may not get the sever nose down jerk normally associated with pylon mounted motors.
McD
kingsflyer is online now Find More Posts by kingsflyer
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: LEDs on my T-28
Old Feb 04, 2012, 08:45 AM
59 years of RC flying
Canada, ON, Ottawa
Joined Feb 2006
16,355 Posts
The Vectoris looks great and flies well. I'd like to see more detail of the removable wing panels and how the ailerons work. I had thought about eliminating ailerons and using "ailevators". That is, all moving stab halves that work like elevons, but my experiments on another model showed poor roll control. So I think the ailerons are needed with a mechanical linkage.

The problem with vectored thrust on the Polaris is that the prop is very close to the CG, so there's not much moment arm for the up or down thrust to work with. The further back you can get the prop the better, which argues for shortening the nacelle as much as possible. Of course, the ideal would be a pusher setup, but it's a bit hard to see how that would work.

You don't want to increase the depth of the tip floats, as doing so would limit the takeoff angle and thus prolong the takeoff run. The way to shorten the takeoff with nearly any water plane is to increase the angle of rotation, either by increasing the depth of the fuselage at the step or by cutting away the rear of the fuselage/floats to allow the model to rotate more.

By the way, what does Vectoris weigh?
Daedalus66 is online now Find More Posts by Daedalus66
Old Feb 04, 2012, 08:52 AM
59 years of RC flying
Canada, ON, Ottawa
Joined Feb 2006
16,355 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wormboy View Post
Couple of pre maiden pix.

I'm not confident that i've sealed up the hull tight enough for a water launch yet so the maiden will be off terra firma.

I do hope to fly off water so i will be sealing the hull properly, probably with WBPU and some the missus' left over silk.
Likewise the tape racing stripes will be replaced with a proper paint job.
Looks nice. Should fly well if you just use reasonable control throws and get the CG right (and check the direction of controls!!!).

I think you're right to fly off land in case you have a problem. But watertightness should not be an issue. All you need to check is that the joints between the bottom and the sides and along the underside of the wing are secure.

I strongly recommend something tougher than PU and silk for the bottom. Duct tape works well.
Daedalus66 is online now Find More Posts by Daedalus66
Old Feb 04, 2012, 10:18 AM
Australia, WA, Madeley
Joined Jul 2011
662 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Daedalus66 View Post
Looks nice. Should fly well if you just use reasonable control throws and get the CG right (and check the direction of controls!!!).

I think you're right to fly off land in case you have a problem. But watertightness should not be an issue. All you need to check is that the joints between the bottom and the sides and along the underside of the wing are secure.

I strongly recommend something tougher than PU and silk for the bottom. Duct tape works well.
Cheers for the advice, CG , expo and throws are as per scratchbuild manual dual rates are at 50% of full rates.

I've run afoul of reversed servos on previous planes so they are always on my post build as well as preflight checks

I did have a servo issue this afternoon. I stupidly didnt fire up the servos to find centre before I glued the horizontal stab on. Of course when I did power up, it was so far off centre the arm was pointing directly aft instead of off to the side. Imagine my surprise when Down stick = down elevator and Up stick = down elevator . Ended up pulling off the nacelle top again and recentering the servo arm. Derp.

How do you find the duct tape holds up to the water? I'd have thought it would peel off fairly quickly.
Last edited by Wormboy; Feb 04, 2012 at 10:24 AM.